31 replies to this topic

#1 eggbert

eggbert

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:56 PM

I downloaded liveXP and built an iso however it just gives these 2 messages then restarts:

windows update - an error has occured while setting up "browseui.dll". this error has been logged, the installation will continue
windows update - an error has occured while setting up "shdocvw.dll". this error has been logged, the installation will continue

The only thing I have changed is that I have disabled most of the apps except offlinesysprep and runscanner.
I am using XP Home SP2 OEM as source. The only problem I can think of is that the i386 folder has the LANG and COMPDATA folders removed.
I am using winbuilder 074 and have updated the livexp script. Also there were no errors when building.

The annoying thing is that the standard project worked absolutely fine first time but I don't know how to put in offlinesysprep!

#2 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

I downloaded liveXP and built an iso however it just gives these 2 messages then restarts:

windows update - an error has occured while setting up "browseui.dll". this error has been logged, the installation will continue
windows update - an error has occured while setting up "shdocvw.dll". this error has been logged, the installation will continue

The only thing I have changed is that I have disabled most of the apps except offlinesysprep and runscanner.
I am using XP Home SP2 OEM as source. The only problem I can think of is that the i386 folder has the LANG and COMPDATA folders removed.
I am using winbuilder 074 and have updated the livexp script. Also there were no errors when building.

The annoying thing is that the standard project worked absolutely fine first time but I don't know how to put in offlinesysprep!

Hi eggbert!
First: Welcome in our forum :)
Disabling most of or all apps should not influence the PE behaviour; just the opposite: In my opinion it is a good choice to start 'mimimized'.
Here you are on the safe side.

Second: browseui.dll and / or shdocvw.dll error messages are usually caused by too less memory in the emulator.
But strange for me is that you get something about 'Windows Update' in the error message.

Can you please rebuild the project and post the log file?

(Some days ago I posted here that I'm becoming crazy with declaring 'how to post the log file' for the 123... time)
If you do not know, 'HowTo' search for 'log.html' author 'psc'. I'm sure you find a lot of results, fortunatelly all of them logically equal.

Peter

#3 eggbert

eggbert

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:25 PM

Actually I seem to have got it to work now but not sure how. I deleted my winbuilder project and started from scratch with the xplive zip file. The only thing I updated from the server was offlinesysprep. I think I must have messed something up the first time, perhaps mixing standard project with livexp.
The only slight problem I have now is that there is no menu entry for offlinesysprep, is it possible to add a shortcut to the desktop? I had a look for the desktop but theres no 'documents and settings' folder!
I also have another question...what is the best way to put livexp on a cd that already has a i386 folder? Is it best to hex edit setupldr.bin and change i386 to something else or will this cause problems? I have done this with BartPE before so I am assuming I can do the same again...

#4 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:46 PM

Actually I seem to have got it to work now but not sure how. I deleted my winbuilder project and started from scratch with the xplive zip file. The only thing I updated from the server was offlinesysprep. I think I must have messed something up the first time, perhaps mixing standard project with livexp.
The only slight problem I have now is that there is no menu entry for offlinesysprep, is it possible to add a shortcut to the desktop? I had a look for the desktop but theres no 'documents and settings' folder!
I also have another question...what is the best way to put livexp on a cd that already has a i386 folder? Is it best to hex edit setupldr.bin and change i386 to something else or will this cause problems? I have done this with BartPE before so I am assuming I can do the same again...

Nice that it runs for you.

I'm sure that e.g Amalux or Online -if one of them reads this topic- can explain you, why it now is closed for me personally.

Peter

#5 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

Hi eggbert,

Welcome to the forums.

A couple of things:

I deleted my winbuilder project and started from scratch with the xplive zip file.

The current LiveXP project does not come as a zip file! It sounds to me like you have an extremely outdated version. It seems to me like a lot of issues with this project by new members has to do with old versions, but I don't know where all these old versions are coming from!

The only slight problem I have now is that there is no menu entry for offlinesysprep

Following on from the above, the most likely reason you don't have shortcuts is that you are running with an old version of the LiveXP project (the project itself considered as a whole). Shortcuts are generated by the api.script, but it sounds to me you have an old version of the project not having this, or the api.script file you do have needs to be updated.

Regards,
Galapo.

#6 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:39 PM

----

Hi eggbert!

You don't need to do anything like that.

BCDW is what you need for this task without need to hex edit and still combine LiveXP and XP install files.

Try out this project: http://www.boot-land...-uxp-t3651.html

:)

#7 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:23 PM

btw, forgot mentioning that the errors you post were likely due to the lack of enough emulated ram.

If you try burning the ISO to a CD/RW and test on real hardware it should work fine.

The solution for this case might be selecting the qemu script on the finish folder and set the emulated ram to a higher value.

----------

Of course that Galapo has mentioned very wisely that you're using an outdated version of liveXP because this matter was solved some time ago.

You can place winbuilder.exe (version 074) inside an empty folder and download all the updated files of LiveXP from the download center.

These steps are very well explained here: http://boot-land.net...elp/#Installing

Best of luck with your boot disks! :)

#8 eggbert

eggbert

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:30 PM

Right, its all working fine now. The problem was I downloaded the livexp zip (from winbuilder.net, stable/active builds, it definitely does exist by the way), then tried to update over the top of it, which seemed to cause all the problems. Starting from scratch with winbuilder 074 sorted everything out.
Just another question: Does UPXing everything make it much slower?

#9 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:36 PM

Right, its all working fine now. The problem was I downloaded the livexp zip (from winbuilder.net, stable/active builds, it definitely does exist by the way), then tried to update over the top of it, which seemed to cause all the problems. Starting from scratch with winbuilder 074 sorted everything out.
Just another question: Does UPXing everything make it much slower?

It is known that UnUPX in the PE needs a lot of memory ressources.

I do not know a statement about 'making remarkably slower'.

In my opinion: If you have no necessarity to bring your PE below a certain border (e.g. a 128 MB stick or a 650 MB CD) do not use it.
BTW: I wrote the primary UPX script because there have been (are?) many UPX fans, not because I wanted to use / force it

Peter

#10 Dramastic

Dramastic

• .script developer
  • 55 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:00 PM

For anyone else with this problem, note that this can also happen if you do not have a checkmark next to: XP Live CD --> Basic --> Shells --> Addons --> ImDisk

Dramastic

#11 FiZiX

FiZiX

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

I am having this same problem running in qemu and VMWare. My virtual machine has 256MB of memory and I verified that browseui.dll and shdocvw.dll are in the \i386\System32 folder.

Does anybody have any ideas? I can post my build log if you want but it didn't report any errors.

#12 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:56 PM

I am having this same problem running in qemu and VMWare. My virtual machine has 256MB of memory and I verified that browseui.dll and shdocvw.dll are in the \i386\System32 folder.

Does anybody have any ideas? I can post my build log if you want but it didn't report any errors.

The provided projects work in this way:
Usually you can
  • Download them
  • Define a source CD
  • Build
and it will end with booting your project in an emulator

If there is something different, the project's page will tell you. E.g. VistaPE demands to do some choices.

If you worked this way and still have some issues, please post:
"I only defined the source CD and the recommended items (when applicable). I did not do anything else. But my PE did not work"

And add
  • log
  • description of source CD like "XP SP2 German"
  • description of your host OS like "W2000 Sp4 English"
  • complete text or screenshoot of error
Peter

#13 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:59 PM

Depending on your setup of LiveXP 256MB might not be enough.
Try increasing it.

:huh:

#14 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:04 PM

Depending on your setup of LiveXP 256MB might not be enough.
Try increasing it.

Thanks, Medevil!
I did not realize the mentioned 256.
IIn my projects there is always a standard of at least 384, because usually the emulator does not boot the PE with values below that.

Peter

#15 FiZiX

FiZiX

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:39 PM

To meet psc's requirements:

I only defined the source CD and the recommended items. I did not do anything else except disable all applications. But my PE did not work. I had the same error with the applications enabled and disabled.

I received these warnings on build:

Generated by psc program 'WBVerify' version 2.1.0

Date: 2008-Sep-09 14:22:20

[Counts]

Missing=0

Obsolete=0

Errors=0

Warnings=4

Warnings:

Problem with line: Call "WBVersion" (Build Model,075);

Problem with line: Call "WBVersion" (Copy and Expand files,071.03);

Problem with line: Call "WBVersion" (ImDisk,071.03);

Problem with line: Call "WBVersion" (Explorer,071.03);

Source: XP PRO SP2 English
Host OS: XP PRO SP2 English

Text of Errors:

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.rar   39.53KB   262 downloads

#16 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:54 PM

To meet psc's requirements:

I only defined the source CD and the recommended items. I did not do anything else except disable all applications. But my PE did not work. I had the same error with the applications enabled and disabled.

I received these warnings on build:

Generated by psc program 'WBVerify' version 2.1.0

Date: 2008-Sep-09 14:22:20

[Counts]

Missing=0

Obsolete=0

Errors=0

Warnings=4

Warnings:

Source: XP PRO SP2 English
Host OS: XP PRO SP2 English

Text of Errors:

There something seems to be totally wrong.

You should never get this Verify warnings with an actual LiveXP project.
Please download again into an EMPTY folder and try again.

If you get the same error, post the log and a directory image (dir <your WinBuilder base directory> /s > myprojectdir.txt)

Peter

#17 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:28 PM

Also a bit of self advertising.
NaughtyPE is unlike LiveXP not in a constant state of flux and even includes a 'certified' version of Winbuilder.
It works out of the box with as little as 128MB RAM. 256MB are needed for Video Playback.

naughtype.winbuilder.net

#18 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:30 PM

You should never get this Verify warnings with an actual LiveXP project.
Please download again into an EMPTY folder and try again.

You do indeed get these warning with first run of the project:

Warnings:

With latest WBVerify is seems there was a change introduced. It could be that since WB version isn't yet written as a variable in script.project (for first ever run of project) then WBVerify is returning the warning.

Regards,
Galapo.

#19 FiZiX

FiZiX

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:20 PM

With latest WBVerify is seems there was a change introduced. It could be that since WB version isn't yet written as a variable in script.project (for first ever run of project) then WBVerify is returning the warning.

Regards,
Galapo.

That would explain why I got the WBVerify errors again after deleting everything and starting from scratch. I'm also still getting the same errors when trying to boot in qemu and vmware. I did try bumping the RAM up to 400MB but it made no difference. I've attached my new log and the directory structure of my project.

NOTE: I was able to get nativeEx_barebone working with the same source

Attached Files

#20 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:39 PM

Regards,
Galapo.

Thanks, Galapo!

I'll check

Peter

#21 FiZiX

FiZiX

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:43 PM

That would explain why I got the WBVerify errors again after deleting everything and starting from scratch. I'm also still getting the same errors when trying to boot in qemu and vmware. I did try bumping the RAM up to 400MB but it made no difference. I've attached my new log and the directory structure of my project.

Could this be a problem with TempPE? When I added TempPE to my nativeEx_barebone project I got the same error...

Also, when I unchecked TempPE in LiveXP and told the Verify Project script not to exit on errors I was able to get to the desktop.

#22 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:37 PM

#1: The verify warnings really cannot cause any failure. I'm working on WBVerify not to make such wrong warnings.

#2: Try the project again with unchecked
  • Explorer shell - Tweaks and Settings
  • Other tweaks
  • Wallpaper
(I have some concerns against tweak scripts. They change registry settings regardless of dependencies ...)

Peter

#23 FiZiX

FiZiX

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:53 PM

#1: The verify warnings really cannot cause any failure. I'm working on WBVerify not to make such wrong warnings.

#2: Try the project again with unchecked

• Explorer shell - Tweaks and Settings
  • Other tweaks
  • Wallpaper
(I have some concerns against tweak scripts. They change registry settings regardless of dependencies ...)

Peter

I tried to run it with all of these turned off and still got the errors. :huh:

#24 FiZiX

FiZiX

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:01 PM

I tried to run it with all of these turned off and still got the errors. :huh:

UPDATE: I have now tried to build using 075 beta 4 and was successful. Perhaps there is a bug/compatibility issue in 074 causing this error?

#25 pedrole15

pedrole15

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 731 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:32 PM

UPDATE: I have now tried to build using 075 beta 4 and was successful. Perhaps there is a bug/compatibility issue in 074 causing this error?

I've just download the LiveXP project to try with WB074
The actual BuidModel.script need WB 075

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users