Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

[Solved!] DPs-Build_MassStorageDrivers-Bin.script BUG!?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:22 AM

Hi Galapo,

Here's that 'bug' I'm getting when running v.002 (fresh download from LiveXP server) with all options default except for setup described here. I made sure network support was enabled and no interference downloading.
dpmasstup1.JPG
dpmasstup2err.JPG
Attached File  log_dpmasserr.rar   95.78KB   372 downloads

Thanks Galapo! :)

#2 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:27 AM

Hi amalux,

Just want to confirm a couple of things with you before I look into this further:

1) These errors appear with a fresh download of the LiveXP project?

2) In the 'Drivers\4 Storage' directory itself, do you have, in addition to 'DPs-Build_MassStorageDrivers.script', a script with the name 'DPs-Build_MassStorageDrivers-Bin.script'?

Thanks,
Galapo.

#3 carfan

carfan

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 196 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:42 AM

Hi amalux,

Just want to confirm a couple of things with you before I look into this further:

2) In the 'Drivers\4 Storage' directory itself, do you have, in addition to 'DPs-Build_MassStorageDrivers.script', a script with the name 'DPs-Build_MassStorageDrivers-Bin.script'?

Thanks,
Galapo.

in order for MassStorage to work you have to have DP_Base_7052.exe and DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_712.7z (or later) in this folder confuguration:

%BaseDir%\Workbench\Common\DPs\MassStorage\DP_Base_7052.exe
and
%BaseDir%\Workbench\Common\DPs\MassStorage\DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_712.7z (or later)

to work!!!

(%BaseDir%) is the folder where winbuilder.exe is located)

thanks

-c

#4 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:48 AM

Hi amalux,

Thanks,
Galapo.

1) Yes.

2) Yes.
4stor.JPG

#5 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:32 AM

In time I'll get back with a fix. Thanks for reporting.

Regards,
Galapo.

#6 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:49 AM

In time I'll get back with a fix. Thanks for reporting.

Regards,
Galapo.

Thanks Galapo, there is another little 'oddity' about this script; after running the build, the script appears to 'split' into two items as appears in the tree view here:
dpmasserr.JPG

I'm not sure what to make of it, is this expected behavior or a glitch?

Thanks for looking into it buddy, let me know if I can help in any way :)

#7 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:06 AM

in order for MassStorage to work you have to have DP_Base_7052.exe and DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_712.7z (or later) in this folder confuguration:

%BaseDir%\Workbench\Common\DPs\MassStorage\DP_Base_7052.exe
and
%BaseDir%\Workbench\Common\DPs\MassStorage\DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_712.7z (or later)

to work!!!

(%BaseDir%) is the folder where winbuilder.exe is located)

thanks

-c

Hi carfan,

I can get a successful build by directing the script to a folder containing these pre-downloaded files; the problem here is that Galapo's script is supposed to download the files for you as part of the build process and put them in "%GlobalTemplates%\DPs\MassStorage". This isn't happening and the build errors out with "Windows cannot find...". This bug report is in response to Galapo's post here saying that you shouldn't have to pre-download the files; that the script does it for you automatically.

#8 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:17 AM

I'm not sure what to make of it, is this expected behavior or a glitch?

Yep, that's the expected behaviour. The 'build' script really just dynamically generates the 'drivers' script. First run it disables itself as the 'drivers' script has been generated and you only need the 'build' script again if updating the 'drivers' script.

Regards,
Galapo.

#9 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:35 AM

I haven't yet tested, but I'm fairly sure I know what the issue is. The script will be fixed tonight or tomorrow (my time).

Regards,
Galapo.

#10 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:26 AM

I've uploaded a new version to my site and the LiveXP server which should fix the issues.

amalux, thanks for continuing bug-catching!

Regards,
Galapo.

#11 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:54 PM

I've uploaded a new version to my site and the LiveXP server which should fix the issues.

amalux, thanks for continuing bug-catching!

Regards,
Galapo.

Hi Galapo,

I tried to test the new version by downloading fresh 074 LiveXP but get this during download (no FW or AV active) - Then just hangs.....

dpmassdlerr1.JPG
dpmassdlerr2.JPG

#12 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:56 AM

All fixed and working great now, thanks again!

:)

#13 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:04 PM

All fixed and working great now, thanks again!

:)

Hey Galapo,

I might of spoken too soon in my last post :cheers: . There is definitely something odd going on here and I keep coming back to your new DP_Mass... as the a likely culprit (or at least suspect :( ). Actually, there are two issues at work here; one is that I can no longer build successful projects with a fresh 074 run apparently due to some change(s) made to the server downloads. The problem started yesterday after the new BootSDI (version 51) was uploaded to the server. I got errors which were clearly related to this new BootSDI script (at least on my machines) but even if I replace this script with an earlier version 48, which worked fine before, leaving everything else the same; I get similar errors to what occurred in the past with much earlier versions of BootSDI! "Target path Z:\ not found..." etc. which is crazy because I never got those errors with version 48 before :cheers: I mention this in case you can think of any other changes made at the same time that might be relevant. Unfortunately, I don't have a fresh download (from yesterday, before these changes) to compare :cheers: If you do, I would be very interested in running a comparison check to see exactly what changed. Now, due to this issue keeping me from running a fresh download/build, I have attempted to re-run previous builds that worked fine and, you guessed it, they crash too but in this case it's definitely related to the DP_Mass, new setup. I've tried with several re-builds (both with everything left in the base folder and with deleting everything except wb.exe, wb.ini and Projects - this has always worked fine for re-builds in the past) in every case I get the following results:
vibus.sy_nf.JPG
Attached File  log_lx074_vibusnf.rar   110.52KB   351 downloads

VIBUS.SY_ (VIA SATA IDE Driver) missing is related to DP_Mass here and the only errors in the log point to DP_Mass. Any help is appreciated :cheers:

#14 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:10 PM

Hey Galapo,

I might of spoken too soon in my last post :cheers: . There is definitely something odd going on here and I keep coming back to your new DP_Mass... as the a likely culprit (or at least suspect :) ). Actually, there are two issues at work here; one is that I can no longer build successful projects with a fresh 074 run apparently due to some change(s) made to the server downloads. The problem started yesterday after the new BootSDI (version 51) was uploaded to the server. I got errors which were clearly related to this new BootSDI script (at least on my machines) but even if I replace this script with an earlier version 48, which worked fine before, leaving everything else the same; I get similar errors to what occurred in the past with much earlier versions of BootSDI! "Target path Z:\ not found..." etc. which is crazy because I never got those errors with version 48 before :( I mention this in case you can think of any other changes made at the same time that might be relevant. Unfortunately, I don't have a fresh download (from yesterday, before these changes) to compare :cheers: If you do, I would be very interested in running a comparison check to see exactly what changed. Now, due to this issue keeping me from running a fresh download/build, I have attempted to re-run previous builds that worked fine and, you guessed it, they crash too but in this case it's definitely related to the DP_Mass, new setup. I've tried with several re-builds (both with everything left in the base folder and with deleting everything except wb.exe, wb.ini and Projects - this has always worked fine for re-builds in the past) in every case I get the following results:

VIBUS.SY_ (VIA SATA IDE Driver) missing is related to DP_Mass here and the only errors in the log point to DP_Mass. Any help is appreciated :cheers:

Hi Amalux

When I see this, and remember your post about the latest BootSDI, what do you think about:
  • Go into a shop and buy a big hammer
  • Go back to your PC
  • :cheers:
  • Buy a new PC
Unfortunatelly that may destroy your status as 'bug-catcher'

Continue to be 'uncomfortable' :cheers:

BTW: While you are considering my suggestions, I'm trying to think about 'HowTo cause your PC to tell us it's concerns'

Peter :cheers:

#15 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:45 PM

Hi Amalux

When I see this, and remember your post about the latest BootSDI, what do you think about:

• Go into a shop and buy a big hammer
  • Go back to your PC
  • :)
  • Buy a new PC
Unfortunatelly that may destroy your status as 'bug-catcher'

Continue to be 'uncomfortable' :(

YES! but, unfortuately, my computer fights back! :cheers:

BTW: While you are considering my suggestions, I'm trying to think about 'HowTo cause your PC to tell us it's concerns'

Peter :cheers:

This sounds very interesting, I was thinking something like this might be possible but way over my head (above my level of understanding :cheers: ), let me know if I can help with testing at least :cheers:

#16 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:02 PM

This sounds very interesting, I was thinking something like this might be possible but way over my head (above my level of understanding :) ), let me know if I can help with testing at least :(

Let's try to start with:
ZIP from your WinBuilder Base Directory:
  • script.project
  • WinBuilder.ini (if present)
  • \Workbench
    • \<actual project, e.g. LiveXP>
    • \Common
  • \Projects\<actual project, e.g. LiveXP>
    If your actual project is nativeEx_barebone:
    also \Projects\nativeEx_Core
  • \Projects\Tools
and, if the WinBuilder server and your line speed allow, PM me.
If you cannot PM, try to e-mail me (address in my CP)

#17 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

Hi amalux,

Sorry to hear of your woes.

Personally, I think the path issue with BootSDI is independent of anything happening with a mass storage drivers script. That error is occurring because the vdk_wb.sys driver was not successfully unloaded and has been attempted to be restarted by the script but it cannot be because it hasn't been unloaded. Actually, I get the error too at times, but it has nothing to do where I'm running a mass storage script or not.

Now, a couple of questions adressed to the other issue:

1. In '%target_sys%\drivers' do you have the file VIBUS.SY_?

2. What mass storage pack version have you used?

Regards,
Galapo.

#18 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

Hi amalux,

Sorry to hear of your woes.

Personally, I think the path issue with BootSDI is independent of anything happening with a mass storage drivers script. That error is occurring because the vdk_wb.sys driver was not successfully unloaded and has been attempted to be restarted by the script but it cannot be because it hasn't been unloaded. Actually, I get the error too at times, but it has nothing to do where I'm running a mass storage script or not.

Now, a couple of questions adressed to the other issue:

1. In '%target_sys%\drivers' do you have the file VIBUS.SY_?

2. What mass storage pack version have you used?

Regards,
Galapo.

@Galapo
Maybe you are on the right way ...
Maybe you are on the wrong way, because here again a magic WinBuilder feature is working, which
  • builds 34 kB ISOs
  • truncates log lines
Because Amalux also has some (unexplainable) troubles with BuildSDI, I assume the magic WinBuilder's feature

Peter

#19 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

Hi Peter,

I know one cause of small ISOs as I had the issue yesterday: not having bootsdi.img closed before running mkisofs.

Regards,
Galapo.

#20 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:45 PM

Hi amalux,

To hopefully get BootSDI running properly again, try running the following batch file from %basedir%:

remove_vdk_service.cmd
IF EXIST &#34;%CD%\Projects\Tools\Vdk\vdk_wb.exe&#34; &#34;%CD%\Projects\Tools\Vdk\vdk_wb.exe&#34; remove

IF EXIST &#34;%CD%\Projects\Tools\Vdk\vdk.exe&#34; &#34;%CD%\Projects\Tools\Vdk\vdk.exe&#34; remove

pause

exit

Then reboot your computer before running WB again.

Regards,
Galapo.

#21 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:46 PM

Hi Peter,

I know one cause of small ISOs as I had the issue yesterday: not having bootsdi.img closed before running mkisofs.

Regards,
Galapo.

Until now I know the small ISOs only with 'CreateISO', not with BootSDI!

It seems to be very necessary that Nuno gives a statement!

Peter

#22 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

I suspect mkisofs aborts if there is a locked file it is attempting to write. bootsdi.img would be locked if it were still mounted, as in my scenario yesterday.

Regards,
Galapo.

#23 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:29 PM

I suspect mkisofs aborts if there is a locked file it is attempting to write. bootsdi.img would be locked if it were still mounted, as in my scenario yesterday.

Regards,
Galapo.

Hi guys,

This is all very interesting! I have tried many more tests, including switching out independently and together the new DP_Mass and BootSDI scripts with older (stable) versions to no avail! I reboot in-between each attempt because I can see there is an issue with the vdk driver not releasing but I'm going to try that cmd, Galapo, and try to answer questions posted, post/send info's etc. as soon as I get some time; a bit pressed right now :) , maybe in a couple hours - thanks for being patient and for the help! :(

#24 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:53 PM

Hi amalux,

I'm guessing from your log that the SYS file in question hasn't been copied:
&#91;Failed&#93;  FileCopy - Failed to copy &#91;%BaseDir%\Workbench\Common\DPs\MassStorage\ScriptFiles\common\*.*&#93; to&#58; &#91;%BaseDir%\Target\LiveXP\I386\System32\drivers&#93;  

&#91;Failed&#93;  FileCopy - Failed to copy &#91;%BaseDir%\Workbench\Common\DPs\MassStorage\ScriptFiles\xp\*.*&#93; to&#58; &#91;%BaseDir%\Target\LiveXP\I386\System32\drivers&#93;

Please also check if files exist in the following directories: '%BaseDir%\Workbench\Common\DPs\MassStorage\ScriptFiles\common' and '%BaseDir%\Workbench\Common\DPs\MassStorage\ScriptFiles\xp'.

Please also report the DP BASE version used.

I think I'll release another version of the script which writes this detail somewhere.

Regards,
Galapo.

#25 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:32 PM

Hi amalux,

I'm guessing from your log that the SYS file in question hasn't been copied:

&#91;Failed&#93;  FileCopy - Failed to copy &#91;%BaseDir%\Workbench\Common\DPs\MassStorage\ScriptFiles\common\*.*&#93; to&#58; &#91;%BaseDir%\Target\LiveXP\I386\System32\drivers&#93;  

&#91;Failed&#93;  FileCopy - Failed to copy &#91;%BaseDir%\Workbench\Common\DPs\MassStorage\ScriptFiles\xp\*.*&#93; to&#58; &#91;%BaseDir%\Target\LiveXP\I386\System32\drivers&#93;

Please also check if files exist in the following directories: '%BaseDir%\Workbench\Common\DPs\MassStorage\ScriptFiles\common' and '%BaseDir%\Workbench\Common\DPs\MassStorage\ScriptFiles\xp'.

Please also report the DP BASE version used.

I think I'll release another version of the script which writes this detail somewhere.

Regards,
Galapo.

Well, it's different!

Fresh download (074) livexp, default build; used your vdk 'kill' cmd and re-booted before run. The files look good (obviously, these don't exist until after the build runs) and it's the base version you included in your bin file:
basedirchk1.JPG
basedirchk2.JPG

I setup BootSDI like this:
lx074fdl_bsdi51stup.JPG

The errors are a bit different but still the same result:
lx074fdl_err1.JPG
lx074fdl_err2.JPG
lx074fdl_err3.JPG
lx074fdl_err4.JPG
lx074fdl_err5.JPG

Here's the damage: Attached File  log_lx074fdl.rar   115.02KB   387 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic