Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

[Solved!] DPs-Build_MassStorageDrivers-Bin.script BUG!?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#26 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:49 PM

The errors are a bit different but still the same result:

To my knowledge, you get this particular error if the 'vdk_wb.sys' driver is not installed correctly. The reason why it is not installed correctly is (generally?) because it has not been successfully uninstalled. You need to uninstall the driver and reboot.

Regards,
Galapo.

#27 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:13 AM

Let's try to start with:
ZIP from your WinBuilder Base Directory:

• script.project
  • WinBuilder.ini (if present)
  • \Workbench
    • \<actual project, e.g. LiveXP>
    • \Common
  • \Projects\<actual project, e.g. LiveXP>
    If your actual project is nativeEx_barebone:
    also \Projects\nativeEx_Core
  • \Projects\Tools
and, if the WinBuilder server and your line speed allow, PM me.
If you cannot PM, try to e-mail me (address in my CP)

Hi Peter,

I can squeeze this down to about 42MB with WinRAR, maybe a bit smaller with 7-Zip but still too large for PM or email. Do you want me to upload to either your or my FTP site? Or do you want to wait and see what Galapo comes up with? Let me know :)

#28 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:17 AM

To my knowledge, you get this particular error if the 'vdk_wb.sys' driver is not installed correctly. The reason why it is not installed correctly is (generally?) because it has not been successfully uninstalled. You need to uninstall the driver and reboot.

Regards,
Galapo.

I think this qualifies as a bug no? OK, other than running the batch command you suggested from the base directory and re-booting (did this prior to running the build which generated these errors), how do I 'un-install' this driver?

#29 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:19 AM

Or do you want to wait and see what Galapo comes up with? Let me know :)

I know what's wrong and it is explained in my post above. Hopefully you can get the driver removed so you can start afresh.

Regards,
Galapo.

#30 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:04 AM

I know what's wrong and it is explained in my post above. Hopefully you can get the driver removed so you can start afresh.

Regards,
Galapo.

OK, this isn't specifically to you Galapo but to anyone who can help.

Here is the situation as I understand it;

1) I have built many projects like this one (identical except for the changes that were made to the livexp downloads yesterday) in the recent past without issue; all of a sudden, more or less coinciding with script updates/changes made yesterday, I can no longer run these same projects without serious errors.

2) Something (vdk driver?) has been installed to my PC and can't be easily removed (without restoring the hard drive?) that is causing these errors.

3) I should immediately post a large red warning at the beginning of the tutorial that this could happen and best to avoid using LiveXP/WinBuilder at all until this is worked out.

Have I missed anything?

#31 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:07 AM

Two questions, guys.
1. We know for some time that 074 is everything but a stable. Why is everyone insisting on using it?
2. This stupid VDK driver not properly unmounting is also a long known and standing bug, is there really no other software that can be used? Or at least some program that can kill that thing for sure!

:)

#32 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:35 AM

3) I should immediately post a large red warning at the beginning of the tutorial that this could happen and best to avoid using LiveXP/WinBuilder at all until this is worked out.

I don't know. The glitch has occurred in a run of bootsdi, so the issue is with any project using this script.

Perhaps Peter should add some further debugging to the script where the driver is checked for successful install at the start of the script and if not then it is removed and the user is instructed to reboot the system.

Regards,
Galapo.

#33 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:37 AM

2. This stupid VDK driver not properly unmounting is also a long known and standing bug, is there really no other software that can be used? Or at least some program that can kill that thing for sure!

That's exactly what I've been wondering lately, too!

#34 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:34 AM

Hi amalux,

I'll give you an explanation of how I think this issue has arisen for you:

1. You downloaded the new bootsdi script
2. First build ran fine
3. Next builds will not build

Both Peter and I, for reasons as yet unknown, both had this occur also.

The way we got the script functioning again was to manually uninstall the driver (the reason for my batch file) and then reboot. The script is then running properly after this.

Regards,
Galapo.

#35 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:52 AM

Hi amalux,

I'll give you an explanation of how I think this issue has arisen for you:

1. You downloaded the new bootsdi script
2. First build ran fine
3. Next builds will not build

Both Peter and I, for reasons as yet unknown, both had this occur also.

The way we got the script functioning again was to manually uninstall the driver (the reason for my batch file) and then reboot. The script is then running properly after this.

Regards,
Galapo.

Hi Galapo,

Sorry to belabor the point but, two things don't add up for me here; I was able to run new, fresh downloaded builds with this same configuration on a number of occasions (at least 9 or 10) leading up to the problem that occured late in the day, yesterday. Since then, as many attempts have failed despite all efforts to re-create the original procedure; including removing the new BootSDI script from the mix! Also, I have tried as well the 'manual uninstall' but without success. I am now going to restore my hard drive to a point before any of this 'unpleasantness' occured and will be interested to see what happens when I try this build, from scratch, again. Unless I'm missing something; if I'm able to build successfully (at least once) it indicates that some, otherwise, irreversable corruption occured (and will probably occur again if the issue is not addressed) or, if I can't build the project even with a restored drive, than something dramatic has changed in the downloads which makes the project (at least the new BootSDI) now incompatible with my hardware. I'll let you know what happens, thanks Galapo; I know you're trying your best and just want this issue resolved (to go away) as much as I do :)

#36 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:37 AM

Any versions of BootSDI using vdk_wb driver will fail until you have removed the driver and rebooted after that.

Any versions of BootSDI using vdk driver that hasn't been successfully removed also will fail until you have removed the driver and rebooted after that.

Just removing the script itself will do nothing as the driver is still lodged in your system and generating the errors.

regards,
Galapo.

#37 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:41 AM

Any versions of BootSDI using vdk_wb driver will fail until you have removed the driver and rebooted after that.

Any versions of BootSDI using vdk driver that hasn't been successfully removed also will fail until you have removed the driver and rebooted after that.

Just removing the script itself will do nothing as the driver is still lodged in your system and generating the errors.

regards,
Galapo.

Hi G,

In case I wasn't clear in earlier posts, I absolutely, positively UNinstalled the vdk driver per your instructions and re-booted before running those builds that generated the errors I posted. Now I have restored my hard drive to a point before ever running any of these builds; downloaded a fresh, clean livexp project using wb074 (everything setup exactly as before the changes to the livexp server downloads, when it worked fine with no errors). Set my source as has always worked fine in the past, left every other option as it defaults except for directing BootSDI source files to the folder containing ramdisk.sys and setupldr.bin (same files that worked fine before); ran the build without any AV, Firewall or any other background interference and I still get this same error that now others are getting:
lx074err1.JPG

and if you'll look at dovemans 102 log errors here you'll find a strange resemblance to my 102 error log here: Attached File  log_lx074.rar   113.31KB   205 downloads

If I sound tired and frustrated, I am but not at you; just the situation. Here's the big question, the really important question; the only one that matters right now: Is there any way I could get my hands on the 'Recommended' downloads package on the livexp server as it existed prior to the changes made on Saturday afternoon? That's when the build worked fine and if I could save that download set as a 'frozen' build; I might be able to salvage this tutorial I spent some time putting together. If not I will begin work on another tutorial based on WB072a and older (stable) versions of these scripts. Let me know, thanks.

#38 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:44 AM

Hi amalux,

I'm sorry to hear that the issue is persisting for you -- but glad that you're not angry at me!

OK, I did a test with a fresh LiveXP myself. Nothing changed from what is default off the server. LiveXP built for me without a single error.

My thoughts are that the issue for you is that for some reason, BootSDI version 51, and a few others before that, is having troubles on your particular system. There's also some other error in your logs where some registry hive is getting locked or something so some entries aren't getting written.

I'm sorry that I don't have a past stable for you as I (maybe wrongly) take the current project always to be the current stable and I don't really, myself, want to maintain old builds. I basically keep the LiveXP server updated with the latest scripts (which themselves may or may not be stable sometimes). The project is always in some kind of flux because of the constant move forward.

But you've made a good argument elsewhere for maintaining a solid core build for your tutorial. So I guess concomitantly you've made a good arguement for yourself to become a project maintainer! You should grab some webspace off Nuno and upload a project.

Sorry that I can't diagnose what's happening with your project yet. Hopefully Peter might have an idea.

Regards,
Galapo.

#39 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:06 AM

Hi amalux,

I'm sorry to hear that the issue is persisting for you -- but glad that you're not angry at me!

OK, I did a test with a fresh LiveXP myself. Nothing changed from what is default off the server. LiveXP built for me without a single error.

My thoughts are that the issue for you is that for some reason, BootSDI version 51, and a few others before that, is having troubles on your particular system. There's also some other error in your logs where some registry hive is getting locked or something so some entries aren't getting written.

I'm sorry that I don't have a past stable for you as I (maybe wrongly) take the current project always to be the current stable and I don't really, myself, want to maintain old builds. I basically keep the LiveXP server updated with the latest scripts (which themselves may or may not be stable sometimes). The project is always in some kind of flux because of the constant move forward.

But you've made a good argument elsewhere for maintaining a solid core build for your tutorial. So I guess concomitantly you've made a good arguement for yourself to become a project maintainer! You should grab some webspace off Nuno and upload a project.

Sorry that I can't diagnose what's happening with your project yet. Hopefully Peter might have an idea.

Regards,
Galapo.

Thanks Galapo, yeah, Peter usually comes in to save me in my darkest hour :) I am curious about one thing, are you enabling the BootSDI script when building? (not enabled by default). If not, have you tried it?

#40 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:24 AM

I think I found a way into solving the VDK / BootSDI troubles.

If a scripts wants to mount a non existing image file, then vdk asks for the correct path
vdk_input.gif
and it waits for input for ever and remains as process until reboot ...
But nobody knows that.

I'll have a look into the source whether this waiting for input can be removed for the WB version.

Peter

BTW @Amalux: Since version 049 of BootSDI the script writes a log into %BaseDir%\Tools\vdk\vdk_WB.log. Ever seen ? :)

#41 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:45 AM

I am curious about one thing, are you enabling the BootSDI script when building? (not enabled by default). If not, have you tried it?

Sorry, my test before was the default, so without bootsdi. I'll try with bootsdi in the morning, have to have a sleep now.

Good thing is, Peter has discovered why the driver can hang.

Regards,
Galapo.

#42 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:20 PM

Amalux!

I'm rather sure that your troubles are neither introduced by the MassStorageDrivers nor by BootSDI.

They are only the messengers of some WinBuilder internals in disorder.

See here.

Peter

#43 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:44 AM

Amalux!

I'm rather sure that your troubles are neither introduced by the MassStorageDrivers nor by BootSDI.

They are only the messengers of some WinBuilder internals in disorder.

See here.

Peter

Peter, this is great news!? (maybe a clue to fix?) - Wow, lots of posts to look through! I had a tough day at work and didn't get a chance to check in till now. I'll look through all the posts and try to see where we are (current status). BTW, here is that bootsdi log you were asking about (not sure it's relevant now) everything looks good to me though. I'll read more posts and get back to you. As always, thank you for all your help Peter :)

#44 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:52 AM

Hi amalux,

Before you run LiveXP again, please do the following:

1. make sure you have version 9 of 'Explorer shell TWEAKS and SETTINGS.script'
2. delete vdk_wb.exe from your '%tools%\vdk' folder
3. grab version 52 of BootSDI.script off the nativeEx server (I'll update LiveXP with this shortly, too)

Regards,
Galapo.

#45 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:41 AM

Hi amalux,

Before you run LiveXP again, please do the following:

1. make sure you have version 9 of 'Explorer shell TWEAKS and SETTINGS.script'
2. delete vdk_wb.exe from your '%tools%\vdk' folder
3. grab version 52 of BootSDI.script off the nativeEx server (I'll update LiveXP with this shortly, too)

Regards,
Galapo.

Will do Galapo and test soon. Thanks again for your help!

One thing I need to ask; once this issue is resolved and livexp is working again, I want to save a 'frozen' version for possible upload to my site later; do I need anything else besides what is downloaded into the base dir folder on my end? Thanks buddy :)

#46 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:52 AM

do I need anything else besides what is downloaded into the base dir folder on my end? Thanks buddy :)

You need to create two files at the root of the project, index.html and updates.ini, which will get uploaded with the rest of the project files. Click 'Advanced > Upload > New Web Server'. Enter title, check 'skip file upload', and then hit 'create'. The project is now ready to upload somewhere.

Regards,
Galapo.

#47 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:19 AM

You need to create two files at the root of the project, index.html and updates.ini, which will get uploaded with the rest of the project files. Click 'Advanced > Upload > New Web Server'. Enter title, check 'skip file upload', and then hit 'create'. The project is now ready to upload somewhere.

Regards,
Galapo.

Thanks, I'll look into this; do I need permission to upload and direct to it (in the tutorial)?

#48 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

@Amalux

For me the topic becomes a bit OFFTOPIC.

What's the actual status of your primary bug report?

Peter

#49 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:48 PM

@Amalux

For me the topic becomes a bit OFFTOPIC.

What's the actual status of your primary bug report?

Peter

Sorry Peter,

I meant to post this before (too crazy right now) - The latest changes to the downloaded scripts from livexp server produce a successfull build! :( So, no errors as before; there are some other minor issues/changes (probably) not related to this issue but I'm not going there now. The project builds fine without errors on my end now and that's great news! :)

Thank you for your (and Galapos) quick, professional attention to this issue; I couldn't as for better 'service'. Thank you gentlemen! :cheers:

#50 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

Sorry Peter,

I meant to post this before (too crazy right now) - The latest changes to the downloaded scripts from livexp server produce a successfull build! :) So, no errors as before; there are some other minor issues/changes (probably) not related to this issue but I'm not going there now. The project builds fine without errors on my end now and that's great news! :(

Thank you for your (and Galapos) quick, professional attention to this issue; I couldn't as for better 'service'. Thank you gentlemen! :cheers:

:cheers:

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users