• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:41 AM

ppAppsGenPE Shortcuts generator 1.5.0
by ReturnOfNights and Soporific

** What does it do?
It automatically creates shortcuts at boot time for all app titles inside a special folder. This will make the task of inserting applications into your PE build very easy. Most apps you should be able to avoid having to write a script for. This also means you can include apps outside of the Program Files folder. If you use a writable system folder system (eg Sdi Boot), there is a limit on how many apps you can include otherwise you will run out of RAM. This tool helps get around this issue. If you wanted to make a DVD with many many apps on it, you will need a tool like this to get them all installed as shortcuts.

What it does is automatically creates shortcuts at boot time for portable apps with many easily settable options It can find portable or PE apps on any drive attached to the PC - as long as you keep them in a specially named folder :( - and create shortcuts for them. You can set lots of variables regarding how you wish the utility to be installed, and where you want the shortcuts to go.

Please note: this utility was originally designed to work within a larger project and thus may appear to have a weird way of doing things. Please ignore this :)

** download:
http://www.soporific...enPE_v1.5.0.zip

687 KB (703,791 bytes)
CRC32: F2A55A7C
MD5: 3C7451BF5F2D360F04A818E9335D306C
SHA-1: 3AF02A95624F13D6F3E4100A1AA9500CBBBFA127

the zip file contains:

example (folder)
change_log.txt
Icon1.ico
ppAppsGenPE.au3
ppAppsGenPE.exe
ppAppsGenPE-Help.txt
readme.txt

i'm happy to answer any questions about it,
Soporific.

Change log

* v1.5.0

- took out unnecessary code from source and re-complied the utility
- added a help file and a much better example file

* v1.4.04

- re-write of code into AutoIT
- no hard-coded variables, uses standard system environment values

* v1.20

- added facility to install Reg files and CMD files with the app.
- changed count method to count actual shortcuts generated instead of folders found.
- changed message to report on the actual app instead of just the folder name.

** v1.01

- first release

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:18 PM

Nice contribution soporific, welcome to our community!

From your website I notice more contributions for the UBCD team and other Win9x based works - very good! :)

#3 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:38 AM

Nice contribution soporific, welcome to our community!

From your website I notice more contributions for the UBCD team and other Win9x based works - very good! :)

Thanks for your warm welcome, i'm glad to be here and make a contribution. Better red than dead is my philosophy.

Yeah, i am a Win98 weirdo -- even though i switched to WinXP only days after i heard that a Microsoft engineer had described Windows 98 as a toy operating system, there's something about that old OS that keeps me developing for it. Very weird really as i don't even use it on any computers i own.

Still, there's hardware out there that can only run 98 and quite a few people have told me that they have dusted off their old machines and installed my UBCD project and they now use it as a second computer. Warms the cockles of my heart it does.

Anyway, my new project goal is to assist in the creation of a comparable Windows XP Live version of the Knoppix Linux discs that are floating around. Which is why i'm here. We're about halfway there i reckon. Onward!

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:11 AM

Anyway, my new project goal is to assist in the creation of a comparable Windows XP Live version of the Knoppix Linux discs that are floating around. Which is why i'm here. We're about halfway there i reckon. Onward!

We have favourite tastes then.

Some time ago I've organized a small project that I use for installing windows and also run a LiveXP project from the same media.

Maybe you like it: http://www.boot-land...-uxp-t3651.html

This uxp project has been frozen mostly because I lack the time to work on it but I would be very happy if someone else could step in as project maintainer to keep making it better and release newer versions.

If you're interested, do let me know! :)

#5 mellis

mellis
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:14 AM

Thanks a lot! this is what I've been looking for!!! :) :( :cheers:

#6 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:20 AM

We have favourite tastes then.

Some time ago I've organized a small project that I use for installing windows and also run a LiveXP project from the same media.

Maybe you like it: http://www.boot-land...-uxp-t3651.html

This uxp project has been frozen mostly because I lack the time to work on it but I would be very happy if someone else could step in as project maintainer to keep making it better and release newer versions.

If you're interested, do let me know! :)

I am very interested ... i've tried to send you mail but it isn't getting thru ... please send me email at a.good.soporific@gmail.com we need to chat!

Soporific.

#7 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:27 AM

Hi everyone,

a new version is out, see first post for download link.

** New release features:

- You can also include REG and CMD files if they need to be installed before the user can use the app. Just name them SetupS.reg and SetupS.cmd and include them in the app folder. See instructions for more info.
- changed count method to count actual shortcuts generated instead of folders found. If you include multiple command lines (generating more than one shortcut) within the one ppApp.ini file they will now all be counted instead of just counting the number of folders. I have adjusted the example app to show how this works.
- changed message to report on the actual app found instead of just the folder name.

- i can now categorically say you are missing out if you don't use this app!

#8 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 04:23 AM

Sounds very usefull. Have to test it when I get more time.
Thanks!

I've got 60 packed that all do what is intended and i've still got lots to package up! Beats writing scripts for every title.

You mind sharing them.

#9 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:25 AM

Sounds very usefull. Have to test it when I get more time.
Thanks!

You mind sharing them.

I will, i'm just finalizing the apps list ... i'm up to 243 ;) -- i will be uploading my entire build as a WinBuilder project. stay tuned ...

ALSO ... there are some limitations to the current ppAppsGenPE utility ... they are:

* the user profile must be located at: B:\Documents and Settings

* the system directory must be at: X:\i386\system32

the next version will use system variables, i'm just having a few issues with this at the moment.

#10 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:31 AM

Sounds great. :ok:

#11 Aviad Raviv

Aviad Raviv
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:05 PM

Hi I’m trying to make XPlive run of a PXE server... and I have made it... XP boots up and I have network connectivity and I can net use into another PC.

what I want to do I have a share on that other PC that will have the ppApps folder and use the apps from there... however u made the program look for the folder in only one place...
now that I got net use working I have a drive letter in which I have the folder (z:\ppApps).

Could u pls make the program either look for the folder on all the roots on the system or make the prog accept the driver letter as a parameter? I.e. ppAppsGenPE -D:z

thanks in advance, Aviad Raviv

#12 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:13 PM

Hi I'm trying to make XPlive run of a PXE server... and I have made it... XP boots up and I have network connectivity and I can net use into another PC.

what I want to do I have a share on that other PC that will have the ppApps folder and use the apps from there... however u made the program look for the folder in only one place...
now that I got net use working I have a drive letter in which I have the folder (z:\ppApps).

Could u pls make the program either look for the folder on all the roots on the system or make the prog accept the driver letter as a parameter? I.e. ppAppsGenPE -D:z

thanks in advance, Aviad Raviv

Hallo Aviad!

first a 'Very Welcome' in our community :)

Your idea is not only intersting, it is really great, but rather difficult in implementation.

I'll put it into my RAM (rationally accepted memos)

Peter

#13 Aviad Raviv

Aviad Raviv
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:43 PM

Hallo Aviad!

first a 'Very Welcome' in our community :)

Your idea is not only intersting, it is really great, but rather difficult in implementation.

I'll put it into my RAM (rationally accepted memos)

Peter

First of all thanks for the quick reply.
I don’t mean to sound disrespectful or anything… but if u made the program go to one location, how hard is it to make it go to another?

other then that i am done working on this topic(PXE liveXP). I am just waiting for your corrected prog to make my UDA (PXE) server complete and ready for the public...

u can chek out the stuff that i have done with PXE at:

and
http://rapidshare.co...64/uda-vesa.wmv

#14 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:55 PM

First of all thanks for the quick reply.
I don't mean to sound disrespectful or anything… but if u made the program go to one location, how hard is it to make it go to another?

other then that i am done working on this topic(PXE liveXP). I am just waiting for your corrected prog to make my UDA (PXE) server complete and ready for the public...

and

Aviad, I'll check tomorrow.
Currently I just left the TV high grade interesting 'European Soccer Championchip' [Portugal - Germany 2:3] and it is nearly midnight local time.

But you soon hear from me again!

BTW: @Nuno: Some communication stop for the next days? :)

Peter

#15 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:40 AM

and

Thanks for the video.

#16 Aviad Raviv

Aviad Raviv
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:55 PM

bump ?

#17 megaborg

megaborg

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:47 AM

Hi, I wanted to use this application but i don't understand the point number 4
"4. Then adjust any one of the starting files to start ppAppsGenPE.exe, the later during the boot up process the better. I use shellproc.au3 to do this and the following code (replace original code):"

what i have to do pratically and where i can found shellproc.au3?

Thanks

#18 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:24 AM

Hi there everyone, i've just returned to working on this project and i have a new version of ppAppsGenPE.exe coming out soon. It has been re-written in AutoIT (it was VB6 before) and i have changed the code to use environment variables instead of drive B. Coming soon!

#19 Aviad Raviv

Aviad Raviv
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

Oh wow... i thought u had abandon us... gr8 2 hear, looking forward to it :cheers:

#20 megaborg

megaborg

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

Hi, I wanted to use this application but i don't understand the point number 4
"4. Then adjust any one of the starting files to start ppAppsGenPE.exe, the later during the boot up process the better. I use shellproc.au3 to do this and the following code (replace original code):"

what i have to do pratically and where i can found shellproc.au3?

Thanks

sorry if i'm a bit tedious,but i'd like to use this application before new version arrives
So which file of live xp i've to modify to start ppAppsGenPE.exe?

thanks

#21 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:25 AM

sorry if i'm a bit tedious,but i'd like to use this application before new version arrives
So which file of live xp i've to modify to start ppAppsGenPE.exe?

thanks

You can modify any file that is started automatically in your PE. If you can't find one, edit the registry remotely to add a RUN command.

I use SHELLPROC.AU3

If you already have your ISO made when building your PE, use an app like UltraISO to edit the disc image.

The new version should be available soon, it doesn't use any hard-coded variables.

#22 megaborg

megaborg

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:33 PM

my problem is that i cannot find shellproc.au3 .
however no problem i'll wait for new version......

#23 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:55 AM

a new version is now available -- see first post for info and link

i've added more instructions about how to use and insert into your project. I hope it helps ... i will be uploading some app packages that i promised a while ago, just got to get my act together.

#24 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

my problem is that i cannot find shellproc.au3 .
however no problem i'll wait for new version......

OK, one of these days i'll get around to writing a proper WinBuilder script so you don't have to muck about manually editing stuff. But until then, i'll have to help all those who don't know how to mod their Winbuilder project.

1) Please tell me which Winbuilder project you are trying this out in
2) Please attach the most recent log file so i can examine it to work out the best way to insert the shortcut generator.

#25 megaborg

megaborg

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:01 PM

1)This is the builder project I've used....
http://amalux.winbui.../lx101408mx.exe
2)In the attach there's the most recent log......

thank you very much for your help......

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.zip   298.21KB   895 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users