#1 bhishmar

bhishmar
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:33 PM

Hi Olof
First let me Thank you for your excellent work on ImDisk Driver & associated tools. :)

For the past few version updates of this ImDisk at your site: "http://www.ltr-data....de.html#ImDisk"
the same version number 1.0.3 is used. This generates some confusion :( , when those of us try searching for any later updates.

So kindly request you to append a build number additionally after version 1.0.3, for any future updates, if you are not progressing to 1.0.4.
(example : Version 1.0.3-b## dated Feb 15, 2008.)

Edit : I saw Hive also has given a similar request earlier, & you have agreed!
But the build number is not appearing in the title line published in the ImDisk site.
Thanks & regards

#2 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1365 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

Hi Olof
First let me Thank you for your excellent work on ImDisk Driver & associated tools. :)

Thanks! :(

For the past few version updates of this ImDisk at your site: "http://www.ltr-data....de.html#ImDisk"
the same version number 1.0.3 is used. This generates some confusion :cheers: , when those of us try searching for any later updates.

Okay, I always update the "last build date", but if it is a small change I don't update the version number, just the build number of the particular updated file. For example imdisk.exe, where the last change was, is currently 1.0.3.12 and the one before was 1.0.3.11 and so on. Other files in the distribution package have their own unique build number, but the version number of all files in a 1.0.3 release begin with 1.0.3. This makes it easier to keep together components compatible with eachother. If anything changes so that for example the Control Panel applet is no longer compatible with the driver, there will be a new version, 1.0.4.

So kindly request you to append a build number additionally after version 1.0.3, for any future updates, if you are not progressing to 1.0.4.
(example : Version 1.0.3-b## dated Feb 15, 2008.)

Of course I can do that. That would mean a build number for the distribution package just like the build numbers of the other components.

Edit : I saw Hive also has given a similar request earlier, & you have agreed!
But the build number is not appearing in the title line published in the ImDisk site.

That discussion was pretty much sourrounding a beta test procedure before a 1.0.3 stable was released. I agreed to update the build numbers of each file, which I have done since then. What you are requesting now would of course be useful too and I will add a build number for each release in the future.
:cheers:

#3 bhishmar

bhishmar
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:34 AM

I agreed to update the build numbers of each file, which I have done since then. What you are requesting now would of course be useful too and I will add a build number for each release in the future.
:)

Hi Olof
Many Thanks for your immediate response & agreeing to my suggestion.
But what I pointed out was to include this latest build number in the appropriate title line (Bold header line) in your website.
[example: Change the current header line FROM
ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver - Latest version 1.0.3- built 15 Feb 2008.
TO
ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver - Latest version 1.0.3-build 12, dated 15 Feb 2008.
]
Only after seeing a change we decide to redownload. But Only after download you can check the new buildnumbers embedded in software.
We need not unnecessarily re-download without any change!

I know the date is updated, still a new build number published in the site header is an open invitation for re-download. :(

Thanks & regards

#4 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1365 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver - Latest version 1.0.3-build 12, dated 15 Feb 2008.

Yes, next time a upload a new version I will write a build number too. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users