12 replies to this topic

#1 tommyt

tommyt
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:00 PM

Is it possible to manually set the speed from Auto to full duplex with the vistape boot CD? Seems like this would be a great feature. Any information would be appreciated. thanks.

#2 Seiba

Seiba

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:12 PM

Is it possible to manually set the speed from Auto to full duplex with the vistape boot CD? Seems like this would be a great feature. Any information would be appreciated. thanks.

If you use penetcfg to start network, you can adjust a penetcfg.ini that does this.

[NetAdapter1]
; SpeedAndDuplex = {10|100|1000},{Half|Full}
; SpeedAndDuplex = Default (for default settings)

#3 tommyt

tommyt
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:47 PM

If you use penetcfg to start network, you can adjust a penetcfg.ini that does this.

Is there no other option? I really wish to choose not to use penetcfg to start my network. I already have a program for manipulating my IP address. Now i'm looking for something not as indepth as penetcfg for the only purpose of changing the network speed. Perhaps I will have to write one at this point.

#4 Seiba

Seiba

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:10 PM

I already have a program for manipulating my IP address.

Interesting, what program do you use?

#5 tommyt

tommyt
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:13 PM

Interesting, what program do you use?

I have written a program for DHCP/static IP and diagnosing networking problem issues. Much like the properties of your network connection. I would like to add a tab for manipulating the speed/duplex. This is just one feature of many for our new boot CD. We are a backup and disaster recovery software company. Once completed would you be interested in viewing?

#6 Seiba

Seiba

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:10 PM

I have written a program for DHCP/static IP and diagnosing networking problem issues. Much like the properties of your network connection. I would like to add a tab for manipulating the speed/duplex. This is just one feature of many for our new boot CD. We are a backup and disaster recovery software company. Once completed would you be interested in viewing?

Oh yes, of course, it would be great. In the moment I use penetcfg for my VistaPe, but the reason is I don't know an other way to preset a static IP. A little help could be how you managed this.
:) Manfred
P.S.: As I know setting Speed&Duplex Mode is not so easy, because different network adapters have different settings. Maybe Pierre Mounir (creator of penetcfg) could tell more ...
The problem here is that the values stored in the registry are specific to
the NIC
eg.
For a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit NIC the information is stored in the
registry under
Value: ' RequestedMediaType'
Data: 6 - signifies '100Mb Full' speed & duplex

For a Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit NIC the information is stored in the registry
under
Value: ' SpeedDuplex'
Data: 5 - signifies '100Mb Full' speed & duplex

#7 tommyt

tommyt
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:51 PM

Oh yes, of course, it would be great. In the moment I use penetcfg for my VistaPe, but the reason is I don't know an other way to preset a static IP. A little help could be how you managed this.
:) Manfred
P.S.: As I know setting Speed&Duplex Mode is not so easy, because different network adapters have different settings. Maybe Pierre Mounir (creator of penetcfg) could tell more ...
The problem here is that the values stored in the registry are specific to
the NIC
eg.
For a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit NIC the information is stored in the
registry under
Value: ' RequestedMediaType'
Data: 6 - signifies '100Mb Full' speed & duplex

For a Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit NIC the information is stored in the registry
under
Value: ' SpeedDuplex'
Data: 5 - signifies '100Mb Full' speed & duplex

features aside from our backup utility. Currently finalizing support for Windows (win server 2003, win server 2008)

1) New Menu Interface – A Windows PE 2.0 based boot CD. Now allows you to Boot from CD/DVD, Blu-Ray, UFD and PXE.
2) Drive Explorer – View files and directories of your local disks and removable media giving you the ability to extract/copy individual files from your system to an alternate location.
3) ISO Burner – Writes an ISO image of the Boot CD to CD/DVD and Blu-Ray working from both your Desktop and the Boot CD itself.
4) Map Drive – Map a network drive to a specified server and/or directory. Allowing you to copy individual files or install specified driver to and from alternate locations.
5) Network Configuration – Allows you to configure your server with DHCP or a static IP. Includes a network diagnostic utility for verifying your network configuration and network problem solving.
6) Device Manager – Displays all devices and device support with a great arrangement of detail. Also, Device Manager provides you with information for any devices that may not be supported including missing drivers.
7) Load Device Driver – Install a device driver (NIC, Storage) from USB, floppy or a mapped drive. Although the software provides you with a wide variety of device list support for network and storage adapters, you now have the ability of loading additional drivers yourself.
8) Remote Connections – Use remote desktop or RCONIP to connect to your desktop or server of choice. RCONIP is a Netware based remote connection utility.
9) System Information – Provides you with a wide variety of information about your system and devices. Information ranging from model and type to components and problem devices.
10) Display Settings – Change the display configuration and resolution of the Boot CD.

#8 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:14 PM

@tommyt

Am I correct to presume you are somehow connected with the company?:
<link to a Commercial site>

:)

jaclaz

#9 tommyt

tommyt
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:24 PM

@tommyt

Am I correct to presume you are somehow connected with the company?:
<link to a Commercial site>

:)

jaclaz

Correct. After a couple of years of discussion and tsting we are finally at the point of releasing for windows. If you are at all familiar with the software you will know we used a Linux based boot CD for all of our bare-metal restores for many years. We have now switched to a WinPE based boot CD and for our Windows release will be using WinPE2.0. We threw in a GUI and the set of features above. Hopefully I will be able to get some input from this forum on this CD as we have put quite a bit of time into it.

Needless to say we are excited to take part in a new market.

#10 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:14 PM

Yep, point is, we do not allow any kind of advertisement for Commercial products on this site.

So, you are very welcome here as a "private citizen" and as a technician :), but not if and when your membership will or should lead to any form of direct or indirect advertising.

Mind you, we have nothing against professional software Authors and software companies, everyone has to make a living, but this place is a Community where everyone contributes a little of his time and knowledge on a non-profit basis, and the use of Free (as in Freedom) and Free (as in Free beer) is strongly suggested.

I have just had a look at the Company site, and it seems not particularly "open minded" about their products, the site seems also to be NOT complying to the GNU GPL license for the Linux based solution.

Particularly, the sentence "Based upon Linux and available to anyone" does not make much sense, since I could not find on the site any reference to the GNU license, nor the download link for, or the offer to supply, the source code of any GPL'ed app you may include in the .iso.

I also checked one of the .iso available for download and find NO trace of the GNU GPL.

On the contrary there is in ROOT a file copyright.txt claiming Copyrights to the Company. :(

You might want to let your company know about the possible infringement of the GNU GPL, in most cases it is just a matter of adding some info and provide a download link and/or the written offer of availability, maybe reviewing this:
http://www.gnu.org/l...es/gpl-faq.html
could be useful.

Also, personally, I find at least curious :cheers: that in order to register the software, the use of either of two Third-Party Commercial products to modify .iso images is required and the use of yet some other CD burning Commercial app is suggested.

I am removing the link to the site I previously posted, to keep the thread "clean".

:cheers:

jaclaz

#11 tommyt

tommyt
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:59 PM

Yep, point is, we do not allow any kind of advertisement for Commercial products on this site.

So, you are very welcome here as a "private citizen" and as a technician :(, but not if and when your membership will or should lead to any form of direct or indirect advertising.

Mind you, we have nothing against professional software Authors and software companies, everyone has to make a living, but this place is a Community where everyone contributes a little of his time and knowledge on a non-profit basis, and the use of Free (as in Freedom) and Free (as in Free beer) is strongly suggested.

I have just had a look at the Company site, and it seems not particularly "open minded" about their products, the site seems also to be NOT complying to the GNU GPL license for the Linux based solution.

Particularly, the sentence "Based upon Linux and available to anyone" does not make much sense, since I could not find on the site any reference to the GNU license, nor the download link for, or the offer to supply, the source code of any GPL'ed app you may include in the .iso.

I also checked one of the .iso available for download and find NO trace of the GNU GPL.

On the contrary there is in ROOT a file copyright.txt claiming Copyrights to the Company. :cheers:

You might want to let your company know about the possible infringement of the GNU GPL, in most cases it is just a matter of adding some info and provide a download link and/or the written offer of availability, maybe reviewing this:
http://www.gnu.org/l...es/gpl-faq.html
could be useful.

Also, personally, I find at least curious :) that in order to register the software, the use of either of two Third-Party Commercial products to modify .iso images is required and the use of yet some other CD burning Commercial app is suggested.

I am removing the link to the site I previously posted, to keep the thread "clean".

jaclaz

I completely understand. I was not at anytime trying to intentially market, advertise or solicit our company name at anytime. You brought it up first :cheers:. I find winpe to be a great tool. At one point i believe i stated some features that we were able to implement that i thought some viewers may be interested in. A few of which i have not seen anywhere else.

Yes the current ISO that you probably attempted to open does require third party tools. This will not be so with the next WinPE CD as discussed previously.

In short, advertisement was not my intentions but perhaps i didn't not realize i was marketing with my word choice as well. Thanks for your replies.

#12 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:15 PM

I completely understand. I was not at anytime trying to intentially market, advertise or solicit our company name at anytime. You brought it up first:). I find winpe to be a great tool. At one point i believe i stated some features that we were able to implement that i thought some viewers may be interested in. A few of which i have not seen anywhere else.

Yes the current ISO that you probably attempted to open does require third party tools. This will not be so with the next WinPE CD as discussed previously.

In short, advertisement was not my intentions but perhaps i didn't not realize i was marketing with my word choice as well. Thanks for your replies.

Yes, don't worry, everything is cool. :)

I did understand that your intentions were good. :(

jaclaz

#13 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:05 PM

7) Load Device Driver – Install a device driver (NIC, Storage) from USB, floppy or a mapped drive. Although the software provides you with a wide variety of device list support for network and storage adapters, you now have the ability of loading additional drivers yourself.

Are you able to give details of how you are achieving this?

Thanks,
Galapo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users