• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:01 PM

What the authors of the industrial organization of the twentieth century
can say about Linux:

1.What is Linux?
2.Why do some people insist on using Linux?
3.We do not honor our hardware warranty when you run Linux!
4.It's your fault for using Linux.
5.No matter what the problem is, it's your Fault.
6.hahahaha!!!

What is Linux?

Linux is a clone variety of Unix written by Linus Torvalds with assistance from a loosely-knit team of hackers across the Net. It aims towards POSIX compliance. It has all the features you would expect in a modern fully-fledged Unix, including true multitasking, virtual memory, shared libraries, demand loading, shared copy-on-write executables, proper memory management and TCP/IP networking. It is distributed under the GNU General Public License, developed originally for home PCs, but which now runs on practically every hardware platform available including PowerPC, Macintosh, DEC Alpha, Sun Sparc, ARM, Mainframes, and many others. Linux aims for POSIX compliancy to maintain maximum compatibility with other UNIX-like systems. With millions of users worldwide, Linux is probably the most popular UNIX-like OS in the world.

linus_at_linuxworld.jpg

Why do some people insist on using Linux?

Linux is free from adware, trialware, shovelware, and bloatware. Running Linux is like watching the public TV network.A basic installation of Linux as an office desktop is often easier than installing Windows (depending on distribution selected).One thing that Linux can do that Windows can not, is run from a CD. To run Windows, it has to first be installed to your hard disk. Normally Linux also runs from a hard disk, but there are quite a few versions of Linux that run completely from a CD without having to be installed to a hard disk.While 40 Linux viruses exist and virus scanners such as Guarddog and Clam-AV do exist and are free of course.. The major source of threat to Linux systems at present seems to be exploits on browsers such as Firefox and Opera...48,000 new virus signatures were documented for Windows, compared to 40 for Linux. Whether or not you chose Linux for your computers, even if you're a rabid Bill Gates fan- you'll be using it in other ways - Internet servers, cell phones, handheld devices, watches and embedded devices of all kinds....

Open Source

Free software and open source are not synonymous. Free software is more of a political stance than an economic one: "free" refers not to price but to philosophy. Free software can be used and modified without restriction. In the proprietary, single vendor or non-free software world we know this concept as piracy, except where very liberal licenses apply.
Freedom to modify is a pillar of this philosophy. The responsibility accompanying that freedom comes in the form of the GNU Public License (GPL). The GPL states that distributing a product that uses free software within its core or periphery (derivatives of the GPL differ) requires the distributor or vendor to also distribute or make available the product source code so that others may enjoy the same freedom to use and modify.
finalrevosforwebcopy.jpg

"Name GNU is a hack. Because it's a recursive acronym. It stands for "GNU's Not Unix".

Xenix_Screensnap.PNG

SINIX used ideas from XENIX

MINIX used ideas from SINIX

LINUX used ideas from MINIX

There was a line of connection between Unix, Xenix, Sinix, Minix and, finally, Linux.

From: torvalds@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds)Newsgroups: comp.os.minixSubject: What would you like to see most in minix?Summary: small poll for my new operating systemMessage-ID: <1991Aug25.205708.9541@klaava.Helsinki.FI>Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMTOrganization: University of HelsinkiHello everybody out there using minix -I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big andprofessional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewingsince april, and is starting to get ready. I'd like any feedback onthings people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat(same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)among other things).I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, andI'd like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestionsare welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)Linus (torvalds@kruuna.helsinki.fi)PS. Yes - it's free of any minix code], and it has a multi-threaded fs.It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably neverwill support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Because it's free of any MINIX code,

LINUX is not MINIX...

Unix??....Xenix??....Sinix??....Minix ??

Megamix ???

Linus never published any description of the internals of the kernel.

We don't know what the LINUX is... :cheers:

LINUX is just different--unique and simple.

"Free Software generally does have a copyright.It does have an owner.And it has a license.It is not public domain.If we put the software in the public domain,somebody else would be able to make a little bit of changes and turn that into a proprietory software package,which means that the users would be running our software,but they wouldn't have freedom to cooperate and share.To prevent that, we use a technique called "Copyleft".
The idea of Copyleft is that it's "Copyright" flipped over.This software is copyrighted and we, the authors give you permission to redistribute copies,we give you permission to change,we give you permission to add to it.But when you redistribute it, it has to be under these terms,no more and no less..."

"I mean, clearly there were a lot of interesting applications on Linux, The killer app of Linux was undoubtedly the Apache web server.Essentially, Apache became the application that motivated Internet service providers and e-commerce companies to choose Linux over Microsoft's Windows.And Internet service providers really liked Apache because it allowed them to do a lot of different things that some of the commercial web servers didn't if you are an ISP and you would have 40,000 users and they all want their web site, is gonna be pretty important to you..."

From film REVOLUTION OS

What is a distribution?

A Linux distribution, often simply distribution or distro, is a member of the GNU/Linux family of Unix-like computer operating systems. Such systems are built from the Linux kernel and assorted other packages, such as the X Window System and software from the GNU project. Distributions optimized for size tend to use more compact alternatives like busybox, uclibc or dietlibc. There are over three hundred Linux distributions, all of which are implementations of the GNU/Linux operating system.Because most (if not all) of the kernel and supporting packages are some combination of free software and open source, Linux distributions have taken a wide variety of forms — from fully featured desktop and server operating systems to minimal environments (typically for use in embedded systems, or for booting from a floppy disk). Aside from certain custom software (such as installers and configuration tools) a "distro" simply refers to a particular assortment of applications married with a particularly compiled kernel, such that its "out-of-the-box" capabilities meets most of the needs of its particular end-user base.

Linux/Windows

Linux (small, fast, modular, open source code, modifiable, reliable, royalty free)
Windows (huge, sluggish, monolithic, closed source, unchangeable, "blue screen", expensive)

Conclusion

Linux is not not harder to use--Linux is just different--unique and simple.
The hardest part of moving someone from Windows to Linux is
mental--it takes time ...

If you wish Linux to be just exactly like Windows, you will probably be disappointed.

When I started using Linux, I really be prepared for it and i liked it.

"Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it." — Mark Twain;

or

"Tell the truth and run." — Serbian proverb.

The very best thing about Linux, in my opinion, is the fact that you can boot the CD and try it out in a totally non-destructive way.

:rofl:

Mikorist
  • RoyM likes this

#2 Moon Goon

Moon Goon

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:46 PM

Actually, Linux is an Open source, Real-Time Strategy game supposedly designed and developed solely by the members of the arctic Penguin species.

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Linux

#3 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:54 PM

In the first post, in #1 to #6 in the very beginning, the word 'Linux' should be replaced by 'Vista' :)

A good article, Mikorist!

Peter :(

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:25 PM

Yes, a good article.

Moon Goon: I'm impressed with the writings on the encyclopedia you refer but if they wrote it then this must surely be true.. :)

I'd say Vista is remarkably close to Linux these days - you have to hunt down drivers or hardware compatible with Vista, forget older apps if not compiled on .NET and even the features bundled with the new explorer is somehow getting closer and closer to the nautilus file explorer for gnome.

Just wish a redesign for XP OS or a quick jump for a faster NT7 because my new 2Gb RAM Vista laptop is by far much slower than my old 512Mb RAM laptop which still came with XP some years ago and I admit to be living on a quite frustating work situation for daily use.

Ubuntu on this machine is faster than Vista but it also has some downsides that still make any MS OS a tad easier to handle.

By the way, better than wine in my opinion is Seamless integration - mikorist - you might be able to explain this better than myself but perhaps others would like to know it exists. An article on this matter would also be welcome, what do you say?

Virtual Box has this option bundled inside and no need to do any manual steps to get it working.

:(

#5 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:33 PM

By the way, better than wine in my opinion is Seamless integration - mikorist - you might be able to explain this better than myself but perhaps others would like to know it exists. An article on this matter would also be welcome, what do you say?

The name 'Wine' derives from the recursive acronym Wine Is Not an Emulator.
Wine is a translation layer (a program loader) capable of running Windows applications on Linux and other POSIX compatible operating systems. Windows programs running in Wine act as native programs would, running without the performance or memory usage penalties of an emulator, with a similar look and feel to other applications on your desktop.

The Wine project started in 1993:

Wine project is an attempt to write something with similar
functionality to the WABI that was developed by Sun. The basic goal
is to be able to take a MS-Windows binary and run it under X-Windows.
Currently Wine is supported by two operating systems: Linux and NetBSD.
Other operating systems may be supported in the future. The finished
product will essentialy consist of two parts:

a) A program loader, which will load the Windows binary into
the virtual memory of the user process, provide a means for adjusting
the ldt of the processor so that the 16-bit segments that are
typically used with Windows binaries will work correctly, and provide
a means for calling the Windows binary in the first place, allowing
the Windows binary to call back to the 32-bit mode program, and
finally allow the 32-bit mode program to call back again to the
Windows binary (i.e. Windows callbacks). In each case, the arguments
being passed will have to be pulled from the appropriate stack and
loaded on to the other stack (there will be a 16 bit and a 32 bit
stack). Finally some application specfic DLL libraries will have to
be loaded, and dynamic linking will have to be performed.

b ) The second part of the finished product is an emulation
library, which takes calls to Windows functions, and somehow
translates these into calls to X11 in one fashion or another, so that
equivalent functionality is achieved.

It should be pointed out that the Windows binary will be
running directly - there will be no need for machine level emulation
of the instructions. Sun has reported better performance with their
version of WABI than is actually achieved under MS-Windows -
theoretically the same result is possible under Wine.

The project got started as a result of discussions on
comp.os.linux in early June of 1993. A mail channel was set up for
discussions, and this directory was created. At the moment, all of
the files that are uploaded are in the private directory in a hidden
directory. The reason for this is that the program is really only of
use to developers right now. Once something is ready for public
consumption, it will be uploaded to a publicly visible directory.
The final product will almost certainly be under the GNU Public License
(or GPL for short).

Wine project status Sep 29 1993, 4:27 pm

* May 1995: beginnings of Win32 support
* July 1995: switch to autoconf
* January 1996: Word and Excel reported to run
* November 1997: Creation of winehq.com web site

Other projects using Wine source code include:

* ReactOS, a project to write an operating system compatible with Windows NT down to the device driver level.
Look: http://www.boot-land...p?showtopic=727
* Darwine, a port of the Wine libraries to Darwin and Mac OS X. Darwine originally aimed at compiling Windows source code to Mach-O binaries. With the advent of Apple-Intel architecture, Darwine began running Win32 binaries in x86 Darwin and has approached version parity with the Wine trunk. The Darwine project also continues progress on PowerPC by combining Wine with the QEMU x86 emulator.
* Odin, a project to run Win32 binaries on OS/2 or convert them to OS/2 native format. The project also provides the Odin32 API to compile Win32 programs for OS/2.
* E/OS, a project attempting to allow any program designed for any operating system to be run without the need to actually install any other operating system.
* Rewind, a defunct MIT-licensed fork of the last MIT-licensed version of Wine.
*Parallels. is a proprietary product that uses some Wine code for its DirectX handling.

Seamless integration will be Linux Unified Kernel

The Linux Unified Kernel is a project to import certain key features of the Windows OS into the Linux kernel.The project is hosted by Insigma, and is issued under the GPL.

According to its developers, 'the current version of (0.2.1) provides several Windows mechanism implementations, including process/thread management, object management, virtual memory management, synchronization, etc. Also, the relevant system calls are implemented to replace the services running in the user space.

Process/thread management which is one of the most important components in Linux Unified Kernel is implemented based on the previous release. In this version, some other strategies such as multi-threading are introduced, so that the process/thread management can take the place of the corresponding operations in Wine.

Object management and virtual memory management are the new features. Object management which has no counterpart on Linux builds an infrastructure for all the Win32 objects, and virtual memory management combines Win32 system calls to their core operations in Linux kernel.'

One of the interesting features of the project is that the windows syscalls via software interrupt "int 0x2e" are explicitly handled by the extended kernel, as well as linux syscalls via "int 0x80".

The present release is based on Linux kernel 2.6.23 and Wine version 0.9.40

Linux Unified Kernel is not yet completed, so several programs may crash
or not work exactly as on Microsoft Windows. You can report these bugs to
linux -at- insigma.com.cn.

--------------------

So we should have here fully working (any) .exe under Linux, and they say it will be done in a
much better way...

Reference
Linux Unified Kernel
http://linux.insigma.com.cn/

In conclusion, Linux & Wine is both evolutionary and revolutionary,
and I know it's great....

:)

Mikorist
  • RoyM and bee4u like this

#6 bee4u

bee4u

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 172 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

Yes LINUX is Definitely the best option from opensource and is getting closer to windows day by day... :1st:

#7 RoyM

RoyM

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:"Booting and Owning".
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Thank You Mikorist

Both artictles deserved a "Like This" from me.

#8 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

First post is updated :smiling9:

#9 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

Linux, linux, linux .....

..... and what about BSD? :unsure:

http://www.freebsd.o...-and-linux.html

:whistling:

:cheers:
Wonko

#10 Max_Real Qnx

Max_Real Qnx

Gold Member

• Patrician
  • 1382 posts
  • Interests:To be or not to be that is the question.
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

In fact, Mac OS X linux derivative is based on a Unix operating system. And interface is nexStep 's advanced form.

#11 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

In fact, Mac OS X linux derivative is based on a Unix operating system. And interface is nexStep 's advanced form.

In fact it is NOT a linux derivative at all, it's origins are partly Mach and part BSD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X

OS X is based upon the Mach kernel. Certain parts from FreeBSD's and NetBSD's implementation of Unix were incorporated in NeXTSTEP, the core of Mac OS X.

Wonko

#12 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

I am not a security expert at all. :buehehe:

But USA NSA is. ;)

This is citation from NSA ( Security-Enhanced Linux page fusnot)

The most secure operating systems in World:

1.Linux® is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the United States and other countries.
2.FreeBSD® is a registered trademark of the FreeBSD Foundation.
3. Solaris™ is a trademark or registered trademark of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other countries.

Does NSA/US government use Linux as their main operating system?? :dubbio:

Look again carefully:

http://www.nsa.gov/research/selinux/

NSA collaborate with (RHEL) Linux :thumbsup:

SELinux  Godfather:
http://people.redhat.com/dwalsh/

SELinux (you probably read right now --- > SELinux=NSA ) :buehehe:
is a policy security mechanism on your gnu slash linux system
which apply to all processes and files.

NSA really want to help EVERYONE LINUX users with security? :hyper:

We will never not know that for sure :P

But your US tax dollars are paying for SELinux package! :rofl2:

The SELinux package you can disable or enable it.

# cat /etc/selinux/config
SELINUX=disabled
SELINUXTYPE=targeted
SETLOCALDEFS=0

If NSA need a secure OS internally, and that is the RHEL Linux :devil:
we can take to be relatively secure in Linux as home desktop users.

linux_cat.jpg

#13 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:21 PM

Not all GNU/Linux distros are the same, SEVERAL ncluding ONLY free software, and REMOVING NONFREE software :dubbio: 

What Stands in the Way of Digital Freedom?

We Must Have non-nonfree software distro . :lamo:

Distribution must not have nonfree applications, nonfree programming platforms, nonfree drivers, nonfree firmware “blobs”, nonfree games, and any other nonfree software in any segment or part of the binary code .  :superstition:

That is freedom and PRIVACY as in FREEDOM and definition of GNU Operating System :tabletalk:

100% LIBRE free list:

http://www.gnu.org/d...distros.en.html

Richard Stallman use Trisquel GNU/Linux 

Spoiler

Look:
https://www.stallman...-computing.html

Screenshot%20from%202015-01-02%2012:59:0

Trisquel is derived from Ubuntu. Of course nonfree binary blobs removed. 

https://trisquel.inf...w-trisquel-made

#14 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:09 PM

Linux, linux, linux .....

..... and what about BSD? :unsure:

FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD all include instructions for obtaining nonfree programs in their ports system. In addition, their kernels include nonfree firmware blobs.
Nonfree firmware programs used with Linux, the kernel, are called “blobs”, and that's how we use the term. In BSD parlance, the term “blob” means something else: a nonfree driver. OpenBSD and perhaps other BSD distributions (called “projects” by BSD developers) have the policy of not including those. That is the right policy, as regards drivers; but when the developers say these distributions “contain no blobs”, it causes a misunderstanding. They are not talking about firmware blobs.
No BSD distribution has policies against proprietary binary-only firmware that might be loaded even by free drivers.

http://www.gnu.org/d...on-distros.html

#15 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:26 PM

Technically speaking, "Linux" is *only* the kernel itself, not the OS and softwares. The Free Software Foundation, from my understanding, insists on the name GNU/Linux for this reason, Linux being the kernel, and GNU/GPL comprising much if not most of the OS and softwares. Today what many people call "Linux" is inaccurate, and they may or may not realize it. There are also others that generically just say Linux rather than GNU/Linux. The FSF is opposed to this and feel they deserve a big chunk of the credit for Linux's early development, and insist that for this reason they should play a prominent role in what name is used, and influencing more people to fall in line with their name of choice. They are a rather radical and extremist organization, but they make alot of good points. I'm neither for nor against them. I also disagree with many aspects of the GPL, and think that something like the MIT open license would be far less restrictive. Unfortunately, too many open source devs GPL their software, and this exerts alot of undue influence. As for the name, I personally could care less whether it's called Linux, GNU/Linux, or something similar, I only care that it is useful and interesting. I like to take a more practical and realistic approach, sticking to "what works" and "gets the job done", with less of the ideology and opinionation. I also dont insist that all software be open source and free (as in freedom of usage, not free beer). Proprietary software is fine, but I do lean more towards free and open source when possible.

#16 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:52 PM

Yep. Linux is new kernel.

GNU Operating System is therm that i use now.

It is a philosophy of freedom and privacy. I matured enough for it now .

Not so easy to produce GNU Operating System (GNU OS) beacuse must have all nonfree elements 100% .

There were only eleven right now who meet the GNU OS standards:

http://mirror.fsf.org/

I use on my PC  Trisquel GNU/Linux .

This is very important these days when everyone is talking about privacy and no one knows technically what free and nonfree means. (In the worst case "IT experts" pretend that they do not know  nothing about it .)

It is not possible to make a system that is not under the control of  Big Brother  if is not GNU OSlibre-35444_140x140.png

All  spy things are just there  backdoored  in  nonfree programming platforms, nonfree drivers, nonfree firmware “blobs”, nonfree games, and any other nonfree software.

ignorance is bliss . . . :smiling9:

#17 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:23 AM

Max, this is (or look's like)  today wmaker, so windowmaker in Linux.. look's same ..

Nuno, you should update you link to reactos in you old post *g* https://www.reactos.org/

best regards

Blacky

#18 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:55 AM

About Mac OSX

Apple Surveillance

Read more :
http://www.gnu.org/p...ware-apple.html

p.s

do not know about you - but I believe every word that written or spoken by Richard Stallman. 

:thumbsup:

#19 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:17 PM

free os...i know what you mean ...but if you look at steam-ati-nvidia that all do a lot for a new os non being windows , all you can say is : that is cool and good for linux and free software and i think about windows 10 , it is very very good for FREEDOM ...

the main bug of linux , is to have no drivers for most of the hardware ...plus doing nothing for this to change...

i think that some of the linux-debian... should develop them or at least create a wine for drivers . the best being europe , china and usa govs making laws that oblige cards makers to make a linux driver..

#20 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:53 PM

Yep.In many cases there aren't actually any free (nonfree not taking into consideration) software driver compatible solutions 

Here is catalog of free software compatible hardware:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/

it's actually more like as a Hackintosh Buyer's shopping list where you literally have to buy in advance supported and compatible components. But that's the price for FREEDOM.  :rofle: 

#21 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:14 PM

@ Mikorist: Linux is a "new" kernel?! Really?! It's always been my understanding that the Linux kernel has been around for quite awhile (at least since the early 90s). You speak as if Linux were a new phenomenon, a new kid on the block.

Your assertion that any system that isnt comprised solely of GNU components cannot be free from Big Brother's watchful eye is something I would have to disagree with. It is a display of an air of ignorance and arrogance that only a GNU system can be truly free from controls, while discounting everything else. GNU/GPL isnt the only licensing agreement that allows for the possibility of open code and 100% free components.

I personally think most software should be in the public domain, copyrighted by noone and owned by everyone. While there is still the possibility that someone may come along, modify the code , and copyright/patent it, surely legal restrictions can be put in place to prevent this kind of misuse/theft. I think the FSF's position on this is somewhat paranoid, unjustified, and a overstretching of the facts/reality.

Do you not think that agencies like the NSA are not smart enough and powerful enough to insert backdoor code into pretty much any software, including free and open source? We do, after all, have Echelon, a surveillance system that is capable of monitoring any/all Internet comms worldwide. Ed Snowden also made some interesting revelations. The code may be open, but this doesnt mean this cant happen. It would be more likely to be noticed, but there are many clever ways to obscure code. I call it the art of deception and intentional misdirection. Con artists and magicians do this all the time.

The info you provided about Apple is quite interesting, and may kill off any desire of mine to successly install a Hackintosh OS. But can you provide other links (you are, after all, the one making these claims here). While I do believe much of what the FSF wrote, they provided no independent references/bibliography links at the bottom of their page. I will not simply believe something just because some person/group/org makes a claim, I'm a free thinker and like to see (relatively) objective proof, preferably from multiple sources and can be proven via methods that the average person would find good enough to count as proof.

#22 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:39 PM

hackintosh is cool , i had it "working" few days on a pc ...

the drivers are also the bug because os only have the one chiped for mac..

despite they use intel cpu and mainboards useable with windows...their vga have a "special bios".....

this os seemed stable but i did not really used it ...

about https://www.thinkpenguin.com/

it does not show all hardware ..i know some cards for tv : tbs, blackmagic or el gato produce drivers , while for hauppauge they are at linux-tv...

but i see none of these brand ...

#23 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:53 PM

Do you not think that agencies like the NSA are not smart enough and powerful enough to insert backdoor code into pretty much any software, including free and open source? We do, after all, have Echelon,

No special software they need .Only nonfree drivers and nonfree firmware “blobs" from factories can do job  for them (do not ask me how I know that) .It is very important not to have them .I do not have them on my computer.SELinux package is one piece of the big puzzle.

All the time I repeat only what Richard Stallman says . I had the opportunity to personally meet him - and I can say that I believe in him .You do not need proof.It is enough to carefully listen what he does and what he says .A lot of material on the Internet about that,  only takes time to reconnect the puzzle.It took about 15 years for mine.

Tell the truth and run. :loleverybody: 

#24 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:58 PM

I would also like to note that, in my limited experience with Linux, drivers havent really been a major issue. I oftentimes had to manually install a video driver or some obscure wifi driver for an otherwise nonfunctional wifi card, but for the most part, most of my hardware components seemed to be functional out of the box. With Windows, I've had to manually install most drivers to get full component functionality. This is one area where Windows still lags far behind.

#25 sixcentgeorge

sixcentgeorge

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:51 PM

windows is better than linux in most part ...you have heared of peoples and photoshop...

for desktop it is better , mostly when some like gnome kill the "start" button...Ms did it a little but made it back asap....

the best use of linux , is as a server , i use GRML distro and add it a server for games : hlds , css or l4d or svencoop

then create a sort of lzma-vhd that i load in ram...

so server is fine running and very quick for all players even north of europe while i live in the south .

anyway , by now the BIG BIG QUESTION , is about climate and how to make a slowdown ...

big  fires of california and around have their twins in portugal ....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users