• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Geemail

Geemail
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:21 AM

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the correct location for this posting, if not, please let me know where to repost.

Due to what I am told are current limitations of the current VistaPE, my current boot cd is WinPE 2.0 built from WAIK.

The problem I am having is with enabling remote IN access to the workstation while booted in a WinPE session. I have been attempting with both RAdmin and Remote Desktop. I am currently able to get remote OUT access with both apps, but the remote in is failing.

With RAdmin, I can connect to the WinPE session, but the viewer window is completely black (no video transfer of the WinPE boot environment) and I have no mouse and keyboard capabilities.

With Remote Desktop, I am unable to get connected to the workstation at all.

For RAdmin, I am booting to the cd, and from a USB drive, installing RAdmin 2.2.

My next attempt is to import reg entries before unmounting and creating the iso. At the recommendation of one of the top posters on this site, I am presenting this to everyone for recommendations, suggestions, and input.

As always, I would like to thank anyone in advance who can assist or provide further insight and possibly to enable this capability within VistaPE which will steer me to create the boot cd using WinBuilder rather than WAIK. I am willing to perform any testing necessary to get this working.

Thanks,
Moe

#2 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:47 AM

With RAdmin, I can connect to the WinPE session, but the viewer window is completely black (no video transfer of the WinPE boot environment) and I have no mouse and keyboard capabilities

hm ... you have unique request :) for beginning can you try VistaPE v.12?

My next attempt is to import reg entries before unmounting and creating the iso. At the recommendation of one of the top posters on this site, I am presenting this to everyone for recommendations, suggestions, and input.

hm... make script for this :(

#3 Geemail

Geemail
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:45 PM

hm ... you have unique request :) for beginning can you try VistaPE v.12?

NightMan,

I have no problem trying VistaPE v.12, but it was previously recommended to me by another experienced member of this board to use WAIK PE due to the overall needs of my boot cd. I will try to outline what I have currently accomplished and will kindly ask for your view on the conversion:
1. Boot to WAIK Winpe 2.0 CD
2. Startnet.cmd
a. Runs what I call LaunchHTA
3. LaunchHTA performs the following:
a. Detect and displays Network settings (MAC, IP, DHCP Server IP)
b. Detect and displays System settings (processor, total physical memory)
c. Maps and displays network drive
i. Using DHCP Server IP address
ii. Reads in an XML file located on CD which contains all possible DHCP SErver IP addresses within our company and the proper mapping(s) based on the DHCP Server IP.
iii. Uses the resulting UNC path and maps the drive accordingly.
4. Launch HTA exits after a displayed countdown timer (30secs) expires.
5. Wizard.HTA opens
a. This is basically a re-write of a posted wizard.hta from MSFN.org.
b. This is the imaging interface with buttons for deployment of image, read-in of htm file with image details, etc.)

Do you feel I can accomplish all of this with VistaPEv.12?

#4 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:28 PM

Do you feel I can accomplish all of this with VistaPEv.12?

yes you can :)

try build and boot VistaPE v12, then use PeNetCFG for configure network and then you can do everything :(

#5 Geemail

Geemail
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:51 PM

yes you can :)

try build and boot VistaPE v12, then use PeNetCFG for configure network and then you can do everything ;)

Thanks, this will take me a little while to accomplish, but, I will give it a try and when I run into any stumbling blocks, I will be sure to post for assistance.

Thank you for your help...

#6 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:22 PM

1. Boot to WAIK Winpe 2.0 CD
2. Startnet.cmd
a. Runs what I call LaunchHTA

Hi Geemail,

Is the LaunchHTA available as free download, or is it a customized/proprietary 'HTML App' for your company? It sounds interesting.

I am just starting with these HTAs. I do not have Vista DVD and am trying to develop a simple Winbuilder Project based only on the WAIK. I am not sure if VistaPE uses the startnet.cmd. My understanding is that the boot process of VistaPE is diverted away from startnet.cmd because winpeshl.exe finds a Shell specified in winpeshl.ini under [LaunchApp] and switches straight to that Shell.

You would need a Winbuilder Script to copy the HTA to VistaPE's 'Target' Directory so that it is available in the VistaPE Image, and use one of the 'autorun' commands/techniques in the Script to have the HTA startup at boot-time. I presume that VistaPE supports HTA.

Regards :)

#7 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:34 AM

I presume that VistaPE supports HTA

yes, VistaPE support HTA and can use WAIK as source and all can work without Vista DVD :)

#8 Eagle710

Eagle710

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:44 PM

Was wondering if you were ever able to get the remote in to function?

#9 Eagle710

Eagle710

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:28 PM

So I guess no one has any hints/tips on this case?

#10 Karl1982

Karl1982

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:27 AM

I realize this is unsecure, but have you considered VNC? Parts of RealVNC and some others can be run without installation if you provide the config settings up front either from registry or ini. That might make it a viable option for LAN-only use (although I don't know if it works in VistaPE, haven't tried it).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users