Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

I'm sure your sick of assisting noobs but...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Claw

Claw

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:22 AM

Background:

I do a lot of side work fixing peoples systems, Diagnosing ways to streamline processes to increase productivity, Build systems, reinstall/upgrade OSes, and much much more.
Recently I started studying Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition. So I can work with a friend of mine in larger corp. Based projects. I have a licensed copy of W2k3 SSE and server licensed copies of XP Pro OEM and Retail.
One of the tasks I'm undergoing is Advanced Hard Disk Optimizations. (Basically aligning the Physical sector size and windows projected formated sector size.) On a PC it doesn't make a lick of difference. How ever when
working with SAN Drives and other various configurations it can be a 20% - 40% increase in server performance. Now I can physically pull all the drives out stick them in a test bed and pre-partition/Format them. Or Learn to
Use this very impressive tool every one has worked so hard to make. I started out working with RyanVM.net preloading Updates then used NLite to tweak settings for a WINNT.sif then manually edit to do a few extra settings.
This saves alot of time on this aspect of the process. However I couldn't find a way to incorperate the special partitions and formating needs into this file. Thats when I stumbled across WinBuilder, and after looking over all the
awesome tools, and freeware apps incorperated in to LiveXP I was hooked. I have spent the last 3 days trying to make a successful boot CD.

Now I'm not one to easily ask questions. I prefer to find it VIA Google/forums/ask. I tend to find it faster to read other peoples problems and solutions and try to diagnose my own problems. Its taught me well in the past.
But here I am 3 days later and I guess its time for help from your WinBuilder Guru's. Thanks in advance.

Attempts and Details:

First I Downloaded WinBuilder 72a I did see that people pasted they were using 74 but I didn't see it on the download page.
After seeing all the options and tools for LiveXP I knew that was the one for me. (OVERKILL LOVE IT) I downloaded everything for it. (I figured if I was offsite where there was not internet I could still use this app)
so even though I know I don't need them all. I need them all :thumbsup:

My first attempt I read through all the options and every single thing all the way down the list and adjusted things I knew about and tweeked things to my liking. after about 3 hours of reading up on things I didn't know about, I
I was sure that I was finally ready to press that play button. Of course I did use the verify project script things first figured it would tell me if anything wasn't correct. The only error was that I didn't tell it where my TEMP dir
with my XP files copied to it was. Easily solved. Then I pressed the play button. Every thing seemed to go alright. Not a single error. Made the Disk rebooted to try it and got the error missing HALAACPI.DLL for systemfiles
directory or something to that affect. I deleted that CD started over again so I can't tell you the exact error. I combed that net, and your forums. All I found was that this is a file needed for Multiprocessor systems. Which in
The future would be awesome because I'm sure I will like that on my XPS Laptop. But for the CD I need its not necessary considering I want to use this as a utility disk to aid in my work with many peoples machines. So I
Looked through all the settings of every single tab again. Nothing there even suggests Multi-processor? Still I removed a few not quite so necessary things and tried again. Same Error.

I decided to read the forums and read all the ones with noob in them and from what I gathered in almost all started instances it was suggested to use the nativeEX Barebones. So I did And this time I got an error that every
one knows about. CDBOOT: Couldn't find NTLDR :D

Please tell me what I should do. I would like to make a disk at first with all the tools to try them and streamline down the ones I don't like. Then after I have refined my Disk make a final one. For use in my work on peoples systems and CORP. SAN formating. keep in mind that the SAN will not need drivers as on site everything is running off of hardware made to make the computer itself see it as just a standard SCSI interface. Bus Logic I think. Have to double check.

Again Thanks. and Sorry for the Long read.

Jonah

I just googled for Winbuilder and found that it has a different site. 3 days ago I came across this site and that when I started this project. Thinking this was Winbuilders site. So now I have 74 and I'm going to just do the clean download first and see what comes of it. I will let you know. But please if you read this and have any suggestions let me know. I need to have 2 versions. One for booting directly and one for the VMware Workstation and Linux Server edition.

just wanted to update you

Thanks.

#2 phox

phox

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 764 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:21 AM

I would like to make a disk at first with all the tools to try them and streamline down the ones I don't like. Then after I have refined my Disk make a final one. For use in my work on peoples systems and CORP. SAN formating. keep in mind that the SAN will not need drivers as on site everything is running off of hardware made to make the computer itself see it as just a standard SCSI interface. Bus Logic I think. Have to double check.

Welcome to the Forum! :thumbsup:

Start again, but this time other way around:
1. In a new folder download from LiveXP or nativeEx Project first minimum level.
2. Don't touch anything, just press Play.
3. At the end of the processing, you should have nice booting in qEmu.
4. If you have errors, post the log with short explanation.
5. If you succeed, download Recommended level and tray again.
6. If you have errors, go to point 4.
7. If you succeed, download Complete level an try again.
8. If you have errors, go to point 4.
9. If you succeed, start adding your applications.

Don’t worry, you will survive! I am the proof for that. :D

#3 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:03 AM

Two things:

1) It's generally best to leave things as downloaded on first-run to test.

2) The HAL error is due to a bug in version 40 'HoJoPE Hives Factory' script. I have updated the LiveXP server with version 39 which is working so please redownload that script.

Regards,
Galapo.

#4 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:15 AM

Two things:

1) It's generally best to leave things as downloaded on first-run to test.

2) The HAL error is due to a bug in version 40 'HoJoPE Hives Factory' script. I have updated the LiveXP server with version 39 which is working so please redownload that script.

Regards,
Galapo.

I did an upload, too, of version 39 to the nativeEx server.

If you want to download, the script is not checked automatically, because it has a lower version than the cuurent one.

You can check it manually, and the download will overwrite the erroneous version.

Peter

#5 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:08 AM

The "general" advice is always the same, do not try to get too much on first try!

See this recent thread (though related to another project, VistaPE) for the "basic" general advice:
http://www.boot-land...?...=3874&st=12
http://www.boot-land...?...=3874&st=28

Dom't worry, with a bit of patience, we'll have it working allright! :thumbsup:

jaclaz

#6 Claw

Claw

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:33 AM

Welcome to the Forum! :)

Start again, but this time other way around:
1. In a new folder download from LiveXP or nativeEx Project first minimum level.
2. Don't touch anything, just press Play.
3. At the end of the processing, you should have nice booting in qEmu.
4. If you have errors, post the log with short explanation.
5. If you succeed, download Recommended level and tray again.
6. If you have errors, go to point 4.
7. If you succeed, download Complete level an try again.
8. If you have errors, go to point 4.
9. If you succeed, start adding your applications.

Don’t worry, you will survive! I am the proof for that. :cheers:

Ok as short as possible this time. :(

I accidentally picked recommended the first time. But it worked.

So I figured since I accidentally skipped the first step and had no errors that the next step would be to try complete.

I did tweek a few settings. Just resolution, desktop background, and a few minor explorer tweeks. If you want I can list them.
and it went through. Had one error arise and it popped up a box that said "Not enought System recourses" (2 Gig ram and 50Gig free space) it continued on when I clicked ok and when it finished opened up in QEmu the file boots for a wile and you see the background about 2 minutes later it restarts and does it again.

I have attached the log when I saved it, it opened in Firefox so I saved the page from there and compressed it.

Again thanks for all the help.

I did read everyones posts but thought since that was the first reply I would respond here to make the forum appear shorter for Future Noob readers that may find this useful.

Thanks again

Claw

Attached Files

• Attached File  LOG.zip   225.09KB   306 downloads

#7 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:46 AM

I see your source is 2k3 sp2. Does building with sp1 boot succesfully for you?

Thanks,
Galapo.

#8 Claw

Claw

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:39 AM

Thanks,
Galapo.

So I should Un-Intagrate SP2?

I also just tried this with XP Corp. SP2. Theres more errors than 2k3
heres a log

P.S I did use the same project but also cleared the Temp files.

So I guess its back to 2k3. I will try SP1 and see what happens be back in an hour.

Claw

Attached Files

#9 Claw

Claw

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:14 AM

Thanks,
Galapo.

Well I tried it again with Win2K3 SP1 and ended up with the same exact results as I did with SP2 I'm thinking is I rebuild with 2K3 and see if I can grab these files from somewhere else maybe I can put them there manually and it will work lets see?

Thanks
Claw

#10 Claw

Claw

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:19 AM

Well I tried it again with Win2K3 SP1 and ended up with the same exact results as I did with SP2 I'm thinking is I rebuild with 2K3 and see if I can grab these files from somewhere else maybe I can put them there manually and it will work lets see?

Thanks
Claw

Well I decided to go to my ISOs and search them for the 2 files. Only my XP SP2 OEM CD had them?!?! So I took them from the I386 Directory and placed them in the temp\I368 directory of the Win2K3SSE SP2 and It worked. well booted anyway. I will be testing away and most likely have all new questions (I will search first).

Thank you all VERY much for the assistance.

P.S I don't know a lot about differences in files of Windows Versions, and some other users may not have the resources I do to get the required files. So someone may want to make note of what I had to do to make this compilation work. I will attach the final log just because.

Just trying to help

Thank again

Claw

Attached Files

• Attached File  YES.zip   224.09KB   293 downloads

#11 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:20 AM

Great, good to hear that it's now working for you!

From here you can now refine things to how you want them.

Regards,
Galapo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users