#1 risolutore

risolutore

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 311 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:17 PM

As you probably know..the new version is out...
[ Norton Ghost 14.0 protects PCs-including all applications, settings, folders, and files-with advanced backup and recovery. It provides powerful protection with new features such as offsite backups and Symantec ThreatCon integration, as well as enhanced performance, one-to-one remote management, LightsOut Restore capability, and more. With Norton Ghost 14.0, you have a choice of backup types: full system (disk image) or specific files and folders. Backups include encryption and error checking to help keep your data safe, while compression, incremental backups, and automatic backup file management minimize storage space. Plus, you can now copy recovery points to a FTP site for easier offsite backup management. Norton Ghost 14.0 is ready whenever you need to recover, whether that involves restoring individual files or an entire system. The Software Recovery Disk allows you to start your computer, scan for viruses or hard disk errors, and start the recovery process even if your operating system won't start.]

I don't think to be the one and only interested in a full working versoin under VistaPe. Is anyone else interested? I found someone on this board working on Ghost 12..
I would like to make v2i file and to restore, bypassyng the *.gho limitation on file and folder backup..
The competition betweeen Acronis True Image and Norton is giving some interesting fruits... :-)

#2 risolutore

risolutore

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 311 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:03 AM

I don't think to be the only interested in a full working plugin script.. =P
I was trying to study the original SRD that comes with Ghost, and i discover this, the result of set env cmd..
###
ALLUSERSPROFILE=X:\ProgramData
CommonProgramFiles=x:\Program Files\Common Files
COMPUTERNAME=MINWINPC
ComSpec=X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
locale=en
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
OS=Windows_NT
Path=X:\windows\system32;X:\windows;X:\windows\Shell;X:\windows\System32\Wbem
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 15 Model 0 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=15
PROCESSOR_REVISION=000a
ProgramData=X:\ProgramData
ProgramFiles=x:\Program Files
PROMPT=$P$G
PUBLIC=X:\Users\Public
resourceloc=
ShellPath=X:\windows\shell
SystemDrive=X:
SystemRoot=X:\windows
TEMP=X:\windows\TEMP
TimeZone=(GMT+01:00)
TMP=X:\windows\TEMP
USERNAME=SYSTEM
USERPROFILE=X:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile
windir=X:\windows
###
I discover that is not possible to start all the apps from their cmd prompt..eventhough I don't think it is intended or not. So I start from cmd prompt My fav cmd shell taht is JPsoft tAKEcOMMAND AND FROM IT IS POSSIBLE TO DO ALL THE thinghs I was interested.

So anyone would start some coding on it I will be very pleased to test.
For example the first thing is to add the ghost32 and gdisk32 11.0.1.1153 ver to that applicationin order to work with old backups or to do the fastest backup using *.gho :-) and the second thing is to resolve all dependencies involved bt v2i console, it uses file from appdata dir but also from apps Roaming..and I don't know how to manage those type of file.
Since the . net plugin for VistaPe it's quite finisshed I think it's time from brave coders to work on it..
besta regards..

#3 hodgestructure

hodgestructure

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:15 PM

Hi,

I don't use vistape, I use BartPE+XPE.

I have tried to install norton ghost 12 and 14 beta on BartPE+XPE ( both on CD and on Hard Disk)

The installations were successful, but when I open ghost, it can't see my hard disk, partations....

So I don't know how to do this on BartPE+XPE , because I think if it doesn't work in this case, then it would not work in the case of using plugin.

Could you try to install ghost 14 on vistape to see if it works???

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:27 AM

You need to add SATA drivers.

To get ghost working under XP try out the liveXP project and add your ghost files.

Download the latest stable version of winbuilder and get the latest LiveXP project files from the internal download center.

:)

#5 risolutore

risolutore

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 311 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:46 PM

I was trying to use Beyond compare to lokk at directory structurre difference betweeen Ghost 9 and ghost 14, since both use v2i compression, and Maybe a mixed plugin could be a chance to use under different situation. With ver 9 the interface is more simple and intuitive that the last ver. But ATM noone works under my WB Vistape 0.11 ver :-( I copied using Custo folder all the files, present in difference file result fron BC, and than I use reg2WB utility to convert registry info.. as result I messed up the latesta working vistape cd :-((( help please.
Since Dotnet WSH and other plugin are enable out of the box, and never gave me an error I would like to make ghost.v2i image of drive. and not only to restore..

#6 EvolutionR

EvolutionR

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Malaysia

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:28 PM

Hi, I'm newbie here. I've just tried the VistaPE 11.

It booted successfully. I would like to know if anyone have Norton Ghost v8-v9 script that work on the VistaPE 11?

Thanks!

#7 hodgestructure

hodgestructure

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:35 PM

I use Mass storage Driverpack in my BartPE+XPE.
When I open Norton Ghost 14, it said "The destination of backup is not defined."

#8 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:47 PM

I use Mass storage Driverpack in my BartPE+XPE.
When I open Norton Ghost 14, it said "The destination of backup is not defined."

but do you have access to the drive in Explorer or whatever file manager you use?

If not, the DriverPack has not added the driver (or hwid) for your controller.

Regards,
Galapo.

#9 hodgestructure

hodgestructure

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:14 AM

My BartPE+XPE works well. I have access to all the hard drives.
Also when I use acronis, paragon softwares, they can see my hard drives.
The only thing which doesn't work is that "I can't define new work with Norton Ghost 14",
even though I install norton ghost 14 in my PE, (not using plugin)

Best Regards,

#10 risolutore

risolutore

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 311 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:27 AM

My BartPE+XPE works well. The only thing which doesn't work is that I can't define new work with Norton Ghost, even though I install norton ghost 14 in my PE, (not using plugin) Best Regards,

What do you mean by this? you start the installation process under VistaPe? or under XPE? using MSI plugin?

#11 hodgestructure

hodgestructure

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:36 PM

not in vistape. I mean install norton ghost 14 in BartPE+XPE with msi plugin.

What do you mean by this? you start the installation process under VistaPe? or under XPE? using MSI plugin?

#12 risolutore

risolutore

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 311 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:09 AM

not in vistape. I mean install norton ghost 14 in BartPE+XPE with msi plugin.

Probably it has to store on the disk the sequee of actions to perform in order to start the backup. Under Vista are under user/appdata/symante/ghost12/...
Why you chose to install and not to transer the necesary files, and folder and registry strings?

#13 hodgestructure

hodgestructure

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:57 PM

"it has to store on the disk the sequee of actions to perform"

What does it means....sequee=sequence ??

I install ghost 14 on PE because I want to make a plugin as you said.

But in both cases ( direct install in PE or use plugin), I get the same problem.

Probably it has to store on the disk the sequee of actions to perform in order to start the backup. Under Vista are under user/appdata/symante/ghost12/...
Why you chose to install and not to transer the necesary files, and folder and registry strings?

#14 risolutore

risolutore

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 311 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:01 PM

did you use Sysinternals filemon in order to catch the file related to the executable actions?
ATM my solution is to try starting filemon

#15 hodgestructure

hodgestructure

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:35 PM

I use Total Uninstall to monitor the installation.

did you use Sysinternals filemon in order to catch the file related to the executable actions?
ATM my solution is to try starting filemon

#16 risolutore

risolutore

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 311 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:09 AM

I don't know exactly thte program you use, if you have the log file of the installation, please post here the zipped dile.log.

#17 hodgestructure

hodgestructure

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:22 PM

( the plugin is for BartPE, not for vistape )

I tried to make a plugin of backup exec system recovery 8.

But I encounted the same problem as with norton ghost 14.

I can't backup.....there is always a error message.

So I gave up and check if I can recover a computer with an image already made.

The answer is Yes !!!

But I found that I can't use the restore anyware option.

So I installed backup exec system recovery 8 on my XP, and checked if I can use the restore anyware option, but no, I can't.

I used the recovery cd, and found that I can use this option in recovery CD.

So I think that if I want to use restore anyware option, I have to boot from recovery cd.

I can't use this option in the operating system in which BESR are installed.

It also means that I can't make a BESR plugin with restore anyware option...@@

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The system recovery cd of norton ghost 14 and Backup exec system recovery are based on vista.

Maybe the men who play with vistape can make a working script ( I mean with resotre anyware ) of these....

#18 hodgestructure

hodgestructure

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:28 PM

Here are the pictures:

I am sorry for the Chinese in these pictures. In the last picture, there is a green ball. It means "restore successfully".

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 risolutore

risolutore

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 311 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

If you want to use only the restore option you don't need the whole Ghost, but only the file browser in order to point to the right recovery point...I would like also to use the imaging function! ATM none was able to create this...please make this little dream come true

#20 risolutore

risolutore

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 311 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:35 PM

I am back again..and I found NO PROGRESS for this script...
any help is appreciated..

#21 twindude

twindude

Frequent Member

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:01 AM

anyone get Ghost 14 working?

#22 joakim

joakim

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 912 posts
  •  
    Norway

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:17 AM

It is a tricky one to get running in a preinstallation environment. Mainly because it is dependant on and tightly bound with the two system services comsysapp and msdtc. This is the backup part of it. The restore part should not be a problem, as it only requires dotnet2.

I don't know the state of the research in this area on vistape, but I gave a good shot at trying to get it going on xp and 2k3 (for 2k3 you might need Backup Exec). Vista is quite different to xp/2k3 and it may be a better chance to possibly solve this issue here. In fact, if you can get those two services running on a livecd, you will have the key.

It also requires dotnet2 which means your build will grow massively unless you join the LODR fan club, and start a new package adding route.

By the way, I will strongly recommend to switch over to ShadowProtect from StorageCraft!

Reasons:

1. It is not Symantec
2. Seems like a better alternative with more appealing features (with all the advanced features of symantecs solution as well)
3. Does not require dotnet and is far less bloated
4. Does not depend on comsysapp and msdtc
5. Runs excellently from a livecd

Joakim

#23 risolutore

risolutore

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 311 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:34 PM

Here are the pictures:
I am sorry for the Chinese in these pictures. In the last picture, there is a green ball. It means "restore successfully".
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

the picture show a running Symantec backup Exec on BartPe!!!>

#24 twindude

twindude

Frequent Member

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:41 PM

thanks for the images..

i need it fully working in Vista PE not BartPE...

thanks.. will continue to work on this.

i need ghost ot work.. most of my client base already use this ...

i also know about acronis/storage craft/unltrbac.....

#25 joakim

joakim

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 912 posts
  •  
    Norway

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:19 AM

thanks for the images..

i need it fully working in Vista PE not BartPE...

thanks.. will continue to work on this.

i need ghost ot work.. most of my client base already use this ...

i also know about acronis/storage craft/unltrbac.....

Yes restore should not be a problem to run directly from the livecd, as it only requires dotnet2.

BUT, to get the backup function running from the livecd, you will have to solve the already mentioned issues.

I posted a workaround procedure at 911cd for running the backup from within a livecd: http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=22409

This is how it looks like then:

Posted Image

Check out the new universal vmware plugin if you absolutely have to run either Ghost 14 or Backup Exec 8.5:

http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=6924

Joakim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users