#51 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:28 PM

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that if building v12 with NON SP1 source it boots up quicker than with a SP1 source? I notice that with SP1 source after the progress bar screen it goes to a black screen and stays for a while, then I get the next graphic screen (not the modified one from the script) and stays there for a while then I get the desktop.

Both work fine. Just wondering if there is a benefit to using SP1 source vs. NON SP1 source other than final ISO size (SP1 is about 26 megs smaller).

Edit: The slow booting only appears to happen when testing in VirtualBox. Booting off CD appears to be about the same with Non-SP1 source. weird.

#52 paul vickers

paul vickers

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

I know this is kind of a double post but can anyone look into getting vistape v12 beta to report back advanced file properties when calling an autoit script. Running a script on vistape will not report back anything from the summary tab like title, author, comments, etc.

Thanks for you reply. By adding the base script 'explorer vista' makes the script work now on my test rig. However i still have a problem in that the function doesn't return some file properties i need.

For example

open the properties of a file and go to the summary section and add a title

run this script (don't forget to subitute z:\wizard.hta)

CODE
$t = _GetFileProperty("z:\wizard.hta","Title")
MsgBox(0,"",$t)

Func _GetFileProperty($sPath, $sProp = "")
; Declare local variables
Local $sFile, $sDir, $oShell, $oDir, $oFile, $i, $count, $aProps[1][3]

; Init counter used for array of properties
$count = 0

; Check file exists first
If Not FileExists($sPath) Then
SetError(1)
Return
Else
; Pull file name and directory from full file path
$sFile = StringTrimLeft($sPath, StringInStr($sPath, "\", 0, -1))
$sDir = StringTrimRight($sPath, (StringLen($sPath) - StringInStr($sPath, "\", 0, -1)))

; Create required objects
$oShell = ObjCreate("shell.application")
$oDir = $oShell.NameSpace($sDir)
$oFile = $oDir.Parsename($sFile)

; Loop through 99 possible property numbers (allows for future additions to property fields)
For $i = 0 to 99
; If no property specified then add to array
If ($sProp = "") Then
; Only add if property name is not blank
If ($oDir.GetDetailsOf($oDir.Items, $i) <> "") Then
; Increase counter and redimension array
$count = $count + 1
ReDim $aProps[$count + 1][3]

; Add property name and value to array
$aProps[$count][1] = $oDir.GetDetailsOf($oDir.Items, $i)
$aProps[$count][2] = $oDir.GetDetailsOf($oFile, $i)
EndIf

; If property name matches property being requested, return value
ElseIf $oDir.GetDetailsOf($oDir.Items, $i) = $sProp Then
Return $oDir.GetDetailsOf($oFile, $i)
EndIf
Next

; If array was populated return array, otherwise return error 2
If $count > 0 Then
Return $aProps
Else
SetError(2)
Return
EndIf
EndIf
EndFunc ;==>_GetFileProperty

the title you entered will be returned if you run the script on a XP pc. However if run on Vista PE nothing will be returned

#53 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:06 PM

I know this is kind of a double post but can anyone look into getting vistape v12 beta to report back advanced file properties when calling an autoit script. Running a script on vistape will not report back anything from the summary tab like title, author, comments, etc.

I'm not sure there is anything wrong with your script. I think its how the file properties are held in your hta file. FOr instance if I change the file to look at to gimagex.exe and have it look at 'Date modified' then I get the contents of that field in VistaPE. Play around and try another file. Or you can also include your wizard.hta file so we can take a look.

#54 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:46 AM

I've done a bit testing now, because of the long booting time of v12. Also what was bugging me, was that mass storage devices had to be attached before booting if I ever wanted to use them in VistaPE, which was not the case with basic WinPE 2.0.

So my solution for now: add a line that copies the whole Windows directory from %bootSRC% to %targetdir% before copying other files (just a quick test because don't know what VistaPE does and doesn't add to the build). Yes it is bigger, and there might be unnecessary files, but now it works the way it should. No long waiting time (besides wpeinit for network), and no fuss with USB storage devices.

Seems to me that the necessary files were already missing from v11..

Also removed VPELDR, because I have done my separate script that copies the program directories & shortcus & regimports (that I need) from my hard disk.. still using explorer.exe as a shell btw :)

My need for VistaPE is plain and simple: similar to WinPE functionality of very basic drivers (USB & LAN) with graphical frontend (explorer.exe works fine for me) because I use it as a working tool with varying workstations and system building. So don't need any fancy PnP stuff or driver detection routines. I can always use drvload if I need RAID etc. for certain machine.

If I have time (which at the moment I don't) I could try to compare the files and test what is needed for perfect USB functionality to minimize the size.. (atm 190 mb with basic tools I need for work, +20mb with kaspersky av7). before it was 170-190, so the basic scripts seem to leave 20mb worth of files out from original winpe..

#55 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:IT, Outdoors, Horses
  •  
    Canada

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:46 AM

Sounds like a very interesting approach. It's somewhat similar to what I was hinting at in my heretical suggestion to NightMan about possibly "branching" the VistaPE effort to resolve the apparent dichotomy that seems to hinder and constrain much of its development. It seems to me that those of the "minimalist" persuasion will never be entirely happy with anything that can possibly deliver the PE's full potential. And vice versa, of course.

#56 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:27 PM

Yeah, well just something I did to get it quickly working for myself. Hope it will be helpful for developers to iron out the problems some people seem to be having, especially with USB storage devices... This is in no way criticism against the current status of vistape, without the work all you've done so far I'd be still using WinPE 2.0 in cmdline.. :)

My own goal is just to make independent tool for myself, because I use it for work I can't be dependent on others to get it working. Hopefully in the future I can be able to contribute to the community more, like maybe release some scripts etc..

#57 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:32 PM

Yeah, well just something I did to get it quickly working for myself. Hope it will be helpful for developers to iron out the problems most people seem to be having, especially with USB storage devices... This is in no way criticism against the current status of vistape, without the work all you've done so far I'd be still using WinPE 2.0 in cmdline.. :)

My own goal is just to make independent tool for myself, because I use it for work I can't be dependent on others to get it working. Hopefully in the future I can be able to contribute to the community more, like maybe release some scripts etc..

Have you looked at allanf pe project? Linky Here

You may want to collaborate with him as he has something working based on the WAIK and probably sounds like its what you really want.

#58 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:34 PM

You may want to collaborate with him as he has something working based on the WAIK and probably sounds like its what you really want.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Actually I'm quite happy with my current solution so far, even with previous versions I've managed to work with some workarounds. What WAIK (for system building) is basically just a couple of cmdline tools, getting them working under VistaPE was no problem. The main gripe so far has been the limited USB functionality, which cripples workflow as you have to reboot the system if you forgot to plug the drive while booting. I believe this kind of basic functionality is important to all users, not just myself..

besides, system deployment is just a very small part for what I use VistaPE, I'd say it has become kind of a swiss army knife for me.

#59 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:10 PM

I'm sure NightMan will eventually reveal a much improved VistaPE.

The goal of my project is to provide an single Winbuilder-Interface that would allow a user to choose among all (or most) of the features available in Windows PE 2.0.

The pe2 OS is built purely from Windows AIK 1.0, and includes the whole winpe.wim.

Explorer, IE7 and .NET are not available options. So, at the moment, Opera and FreeCommander are included when the user selects to use the emergeDesktop Shell.

Some other differences in technique with the current VistaPE:

1. pe2 mounts winpe.wim read/write directly to the Target. VistaPE mounts read only, then copies specified files to the Target.

2. pe2 unmounts the Target with 'Commit' and Exports the image to boot.wim. VistaPE copies the Target and other files to a Temp and Captures the Temp to boot.wim.

3. pe2 uses a .vbs file to create shortcuts both offline (at build-time) and online (at boot-time). VistaPE uses vpeldr at boot-time.

4. pe2 uses a fairly straight-forward batch file to detect the location of targets for some shortcuts at boot-time - whether the targets are on x:\ or an external drive. VistaPE uses vpeldr.

5. pe2 has an easy option to install drivers offline using WAIK's peimg.exe. VistaPE installs Driver Packs at boot-time.

6. pe2 can install WAIK's PE Language Packs.

7. pe2 endeavours to add Applications as provided directly from their Developers. Customization is left to the user to figure out.

8. pe2 uses the minimum amount of Registry manipulation.

9. VistaPE employs a number of third-party tools to build and boot. pe2 doesn't use anything other than a few .vbs and .cmd scripts, and tools provided with WAIK.

Everything in pe2 is Open. The .reg, .vbs and .cmd files are there to be seen and scrutinized. Most of the ideas and techniques come straight out of the WAIK User's Guides; but certainly pe2 owes a great deal to NightMan and the other VistaPE developers.

IMHO, if ever there was a project crying out for a program like WinBuilder, it is building Windows PE 2.0 from WAIK. And, pe2 is easy to experiment with - a minimal project can be built in around forty seconds, and boots pretty quick, too.

Anyway, a new version pe2.006 is on the way - with options to select Applications from a CheckList. It's hard not to get carried away. :)

#60 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:00 PM

BTW, we did a quick test at work with 24" iMAC, booted from CD with no problems, USB support working great.. well no surprise really, macs are now loaded with intel hardware anyway.. next monday I'll have to see if macdrive works under vistape (has anyone already tried it under pe?)

#61 Max_Real Qnx

Max_Real Qnx

Gold Member

• Patrician
  • 1382 posts
  • Interests:To be or not to be that is the question.
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:37 PM

I did update scripts for VistaPE 12...

VMware Tools 7.2.9 Build-80004 of VMware Workstation 6.0.3 build-80004 For VistaPE 11 & 12 Beta

Download File

Virtual Machine Additions 13.803 of Microsoft® Virtual PC 2007 6.0.156.0 For VistaPE 11 & 12 Beta

Download File

Hi my friend 2aCD, when will explorer script support VistaPE 12 ?

Good luck my friends :)

#62 paul vickers

paul vickers

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:46 AM

I'm not sure there is anything wrong with your script. I think its how the file properties are held in your hta file. FOr instance if I change the file to look at to gimagex.exe and have it look at 'Date modified' then I get the contents of that field in VistaPE. Play around and try another file. Or you can also include your wizard.hta file so we can take a look.

Hi Powaking

the hta file was just first file i saw when doing my testing. If you choose any file .exe .txt etc the script i supplied (previous post) on VistaPEv.12 will report back values like 'size', 'date modified' but will not report back anything from the summary tab like 'Title', 'author', 'comments', etc. however if i run the script on XP Pro it will report back the value from the summary tab.

It is the values from the summary that i really need vistaPE to see.

#63 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:43 PM

Hi Powaking

the hta file was just first file i saw when doing my testing. If you choose any file .exe .txt etc the script i supplied (previous post) on VistaPEv.12 will report back values like 'size', 'date modified' but will not report back anything from the summary tab like 'Title', 'author', 'comments', etc. however if i run the script on XP Pro it will report back the value from the summary tab.

It is the values from the summary that i really need vistaPE to see.

Can you include the wizard.hta file? I have a Vista machine and XP machine here to test with as well as another machine I can bootup in VistaPE.

#64 anogues

anogues

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:26 PM

Hello.

I've tested version 0.12 beta with both WAIK 1.1 Spanish and vista SP1 Spanish and none of both worked.

I always have the same error. A problem with winlogon.exe or something similar. I d'ont remember the name but it was an exe started with win*. Windows told me that isn't able to find the file or is corrupted. I checked the iso and the file was there so I don't know what's happening.

I also tested building the iso directly from AIK following microsoft guide, with no additions only console and it works.

Please could anybody help me?

Thank you very much.

#65 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:44 PM

Hello.

I've tested version 0.12 beta with both WAIK 1.1 Spanish and vista SP1 Spanish and none of both worked.

I always have the same error. A problem with winlogon.exe or something similar. I d'ont remember the name but it was an exe started with win*. Windows told me that isn't able to find the file or is corrupted. I checked the iso and the file was there so I don't know what's happening.

I also tested building the iso directly from AIK following microsoft guide, with no additions only console and it works.

Please could anybody help me?

Thank you very much.

Post your Winbuilder log, possibly compressed in a .zip or .7z file:
http://www.boot-land...irst-t2420.html
http://www.boot-land...-post-t431.html

jaclaz

#66 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:24 PM

Hi my friend 2aCD, when will explorer script support VistaPE 12 ?

Works fine for me, with it as shell or not. What problems do you see?

#67 anogues

anogues

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:32 PM

I've rebuilt de iso and did the process again.

Ok, the problem is with winload.exe file. When vista boots the file couldn't be found on windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
I've checked the ISO and the file is still there, so I don't know what's happening.

Here is the log attacked as requested.

Thank You.
Albert.

Attached Files

#68 paul vickers

paul vickers

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:25 PM

Can you include the wizard.hta file? I have a Vista machine and XP machine here to test with as well as another machine I can bootup in VistaPE.

Thanks for your help powaking however it will not allow me to upload the wizard.hta file for what ever reason must be company firewall thing.

However like i said the wizard.hta file is just an example.

For your test create a test.txt and enter some data in it so the file isn't 0kb. within the properties of test.txt on the summarys tab enter some information like your name into the title box.Now run this script on a xp pro machine and a vistapev.12beta machine.

Hopefully you will see no difference and it will be just me doing somthing stupid or you will get a response from the xp machine show your name but on the vistpe machine you get a blank msgbox.

sorry if this is not clear.

$t = _GetFileProperty&#40;&#34;c&#58;\test.txt&#34;,&#34;Title&#34;&#41;

MsgBox&#40;0,&#34;&#34;,$t&#41;

Func _GetFileProperty&#40;$sPath, $sProp = &#34;&#34;&#41;

; Declare local variables

Local $sFile, $sDir, $oShell, $oDir, $oFile, $i, $count, $aProps&#91;1&#93;&#91;3&#93;

; Init counter used for array of properties

$count = 0

; Check file exists first

If Not FileExists&#40;$sPath&#41; Then

SetError&#40;1&#41;

Return

Else

; Pull file name and directory from full file path

$sFile = StringTrimLeft&#40;$sPath, StringInStr&#40;$sPath, &#34;\&#34;, 0, -1&#41;&#41;

$sDir = StringTrimRight&#40;$sPath, &#40;StringLen&#40;$sPath&#41; - StringInStr&#40;$sPath, &#34;\&#34;, 0, -1&#41;&#41;&#41;

; Create required objects

$oShell = ObjCreate&#40;&#34;shell.application&#34;&#41;

$oDir = $oShell.NameSpace&#40;$sDir&#41;

$oFile = $oDir.Parsename&#40;$sFile&#41;

; Loop through 99 possible property numbers &#40;allows for future additions to property fields&#41;

For $i = 0 to 99

; If no property specified then add to array

If &#40;$sProp = &#34;&#34;&#41; Then

; Only add if property name is not blank

If &#40;$oDir.GetDetailsOf&#40;$oDir.Items, $i&#41; <> &#34;&#34;&#41; Then

; Increase counter and redimension array

$count = $count + 1

ReDim $aProps&#91;$count + 1&#93;&#91;3&#93;

; Add property name and value to array

$aProps&#91;$count&#93;&#91;1&#93; = $oDir.GetDetailsOf&#40;$oDir.Items, $i&#41;

$aProps&#91;$count&#93;&#91;2&#93; = $oDir.GetDetailsOf&#40;$oFile, $i&#41;

EndIf

; If property name matches property being requested, return value

ElseIf $oDir.GetDetailsOf&#40;$oDir.Items, $i&#41; = $sProp Then

Return $oDir.GetDetailsOf&#40;$oFile, $i&#41;

EndIf

Next

; If array was populated return array, otherwise return error 2

If $count > 0 Then

Return $aProps

Else

SetError&#40;2&#41;

Return

EndIf

EndIf

EndFunc&#59;==>_GetFileProperty

#69 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:33 PM

I've rebuilt de iso and did the process again.

Ok, the problem is with winload.exe file. When vista boots the file couldn't be found on windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
I've checked the ISO and the file is still there, so I don't know what's happening.

Here is the log attacked as requested.

Thank You.
Albert.

Hi anogues,

Thanks for the log.

The problem seems to be with the Script [%BaseDir%\Projects\VistaPE-Core\Base\08-locale.script]. It is failing to locate a key in the VistaPE's registry, and consequently not finding a particular file.

More importantly, it is leaving the Tmp_setupreg_hiv Registry Hive open/loaded, and therefore, the VistaPE Windows file is not being captured.

Sorry I cannot give more help.

Regards :thumbsup:

#70 anogues

anogues

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:23 PM

Hi anogues,

Thanks for the log.

The problem seems to be with the Script [%BaseDir%\Projects\VistaPE-Core\Base\08-locale.script]. It is failing to locate a key in the VistaPE's registry, and consequently not finding a particular file.

More importantly, it is leaving the Tmp_setupreg_hiv Registry Hive open/loaded, and therefore, the VistaPE Windows file is not being captured.

Sorry I cannot give more help.

Regards :thumbsup:

Hello allanf, Thank you for your help. I will try to work on this issue hoping to fix it.

If i could solve the problem i will post the fix.

I'm pretty sure that the problem is with my language, specially the WAIK language because mine is in Spanish and i look at the file you pointed me and there is no reference to Spanish locales.

I only find references to english, german, russian, greek, turkish, french, turkish and uk but none spanish.

I'm going to download the english version of WAIK 1.1 and test if this works.

Thanks for helping me.
Albert

#71 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:36 PM

Hello allanf, Thank you for your help. I will try to work on this issue hoping to fix it.

If i could solve the problem i will post the fix.

I'm pretty sure that the problem is with my language, specially the WAIK language because mine is in Spanish and i look at the file you pointed me and there is no reference to Spanish locales.

I only find references to english, german, russian, greek, turkish, french, turkish and uk but none spanish.

I'm going to download the english version of WAIK 1.1 and test if this works.

Thanks for helping me.
Albert

If it works fine with English then maybe you can make a Spanish locale for Nightman :thumbsup:

#72 anogues

anogues

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

If it works fine with English then maybe you can make a Spanish locale for Nightman :thumbsup:

Sure, but first i had to find the solution :tabletalk: and i'm not so much into this kind of things

#73 anogues

anogues

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

Well, After serveral testings I'm Back and I have good news.

As we supposed, the problem was with AIK Language. I installed english version, run VistaPe 12 beta and now it works.

I will check the file allanf mentioned three posts above and I will try to modify in order to work with waik 1.1 spanish version.

Of course if the developer knows the problem would be great he points me to the right direction, but i will try to make it working with spanish version. I will study the file and do serveral tests.

Thanks everybody for your help

#74 avaughn

avaughn
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:32 PM

I continue to get a "sources are bad" error when I chose my Windows 2003 CD in my CD rom? Is their a file I am suppose to drill down on the CD? I would love to see this work, I just cant get past this point?

#75 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1729 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:58 PM

You cannot use W2003 as the source for a VistaPE build - only a Vista, Vista + SP1, W2008, WAIK DVD can be used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users