#151 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:09 PM

I created a DVD today based on WinXP SP2 and it worked on both my workstation and my laptop, except that I couldn't get my USB keyboard and mouse working on the workstation.

Go into the BIOS of your laptop and look for something called USB compatibility mode or USB legacy mode.

Would that really help to have the workstation working? :)

Proximity telepathy between machines? :)

:)

jaclaz

#152 Sylvast

Sylvast
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:58 PM

Upon further investigation it turned out that the USB worked fine on both computers. The problem was that I got a new hardware wizard window waiting for input and before that was canceled Windows didn't continue installing drivers. And since mouse and keyboard didn't work I had to use ps2 mouse to cancel the wizard first.

Gonna see if I can disable those popups now. Besides that, everything works beautifully.

#153 Dhilip89

Dhilip89

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Anything that can blow my mind.
  •  
    Malaysia

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

@Sylvast

I have the solution to solve this problem since I am using the same configuration as your Workstation.

Your hardware will be detected and installed automatically without the prompt, so that you can control your USB keyboard and Mouse. (But it may take a long time depend on your configuration)

Method 1:
Use classic logon screen.

Method 2 (Welcome screen):
Enable password in your user's account, or create multiple user accounts.

Method 3:
Use MinLogon from Windows XP Embedded, this will detect and install drivers without any prompt.
Disadvantages: Only has "SYSTEM" account, "Log Off" will reboot your machine.
Advantages: Faster than Winlogon, Full control permissions.

#154 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

Proximity telepathy between machines? :)

USB mouse or keyboard not working, can only mean voodoo at work! So only some other voodoo can keep it at bay! :)

#155 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:10 PM

Probably USB do not work because XP system defines it only after defining other hardware. And you can't confirm installing a new device without mouse or keyboard (it there is a password for login on you can't even enter to the system...). Usual thing when clonning systems on new hardware.

You have 2 options:

1. Find C:\WINDOWS\system32\newdev.dll and rename it to something like NEWDEV.BCK. Then your system won't detect any new hardware after booting on a new computer.
Not a best choice cause on some computers it may not work anyway (USB mouse and keyboard).

2. Find my CLONNING.INF file on 911cd.net. Use it for pre-defining all possible USB mouse and keyboard types - they will work on any new hardware even before new hardware detection. Some files should be added to SYSTEM32 and SYSTEM32\DRIVERS as well.

PS I didn't use this project yet. How it solves CPU difference problem (Intel-AMD)?

#156 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:25 PM

PS I didn't use this project yet. How it solves CPU difference problem (Intel-AMD)?

It doesn't, it's an 'Embedded' system (XP from CD/ DVD) and not meant for roaming.

#157 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:32 PM

You didn't get me right. If it is even 'Embedded' system, how it deals with different CPU? (supposing I know nothing about how it is in 'Embedded' system)

So if you put the CD on a computer with Intel CPU or AMD CPU - there won't be any problems?

If so - how it is done? I meant that :)

PS I know a couple of methods for this but I wonder how it is done in this project.

#158 Sylvast

Sylvast
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:52 PM

You didn't get me right. If it is even 'Embedded' system, how it deals with different CPU? (supposing I know nothing about how it is in 'Embedded' system)

So if you put the CD on a computer with Intel CPU or AMD CPU - there won't be any problems?

If so - how it is done? I meant that :)

PS I know a couple of methods for this but I wonder how it is done in this project.

This is a great project but the only piece of "portability" is the change to default IDE-driver. I don't know if a regular XP install can handle change from Intel to AMD but if it doesn't then this disc won't either.

I have now tried it successfully on a Pentium 4, a Core Duo and a Core 2 Duo computer but I don't have any AMD computer available.

Btw, I looked for your "CLONNING.INF" but don't think I found the part with adding USB drivers, care to elaborate a bit on that? All I found was the registry entries regarding new hardware detection (don't search net, don't search floppy etc.).

Also, will the registry key mentioned in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938596 be any help in avoiding getting stuck at the Found New Hardware Wizard?
(HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\SettingsSuppressNewHWU)

#159 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:38 PM

You didn't get me right. If it is even 'Embedded' system, how it deals with different CPU?

A working, though not optimal solution, in three steps:
1) create a ETBoot CD working on Intel CPU and burn it to CD
2) create a ETBoot CD working on AMD CPU and burn it to CD
3) carry both with you and use the corresponding one on the appropriate machine

Now, seriously, if I understand correctly Dhilip89's intended goal, the project was not "conceived" to be "portable" at all.

Simply a way to create a diskless workstation on "plain" hardware, something very good as a "virus-proof" (NAS, Router, Home control) or "netcafè" machine.

If one follows this "phylosophy", one could well build on a specific machine (bypassing the VMware or Qemu) and create the CD/DVD from the partition on the HD, this way one could add more "specific" and "optimized" drivers.

On the other hand, I am afraid that besides the complexity of adding to the project provisions for a "universal image" could turn out in what a PE already does or make the build a mass of (mostly unused) drivers. :), though it would be really interesting to find out if it could work. :)

Given the low cost of USB sticks nowadays, (and also because I am personally fond of it :) ) I find a not-read-only solution, like XPCLI, more "suitable" to a "portable" OS.

jaclaz

#160 Sylvast

Sylvast
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

I agree with you jaclaz. A non-read only solution has lots of advantages compared to a read only disc. But in this case I need these read only capabilities. :)

If one follows this "phylosophy", one could well build on a specific machine (bypassing the VMware or Qemu) and create the CD/DVD from the partition on the HD, this way one could add more "specific" and "optimized" drivers.

I have thought about this way to create an optimized version for specific hardware, but in the project documentation it says that the hard drive in that case has to be max 8 GB and those kind of drives are a bit difficult to find today. Or is it enough to create a primary partition of 3-4 GB regardless of the size of the entire HD?

#161 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:07 AM

I have thought about this way to create an optimized version for specific hardware, but in the project documentation it says that the hard drive in that case has to be max 8 GB and those kind of drives are a bit difficult to find today. Or is it enough to create a primary partition of 3-4 GB regardless of the size of the entire HD?

Hard to say, without actually testing, but most probably a drive with a single Active Primary partition sized within the 8 Gb CHS boundary would do.

The limit is however DVD size, so I would make a test with the 3÷4 Gb one, I cannot see a reason why it shouldn't work, maybe one will have to do an intermediate step after making a dd image of the partition, but right now cannot say, as long as the partition is the first active one on the first hard disk it should work.

jaclaz

#162 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:36 AM

I'm terribly sorry but unfortunately I don't have time for detailed explanation right now.

As I said, CLONNING.INF has regestry settings for pre-installing USB drivers (for different kinds of mouses and keyboards). You also need to make sure some files mentions in CLONNING.INF are in place in you system (I don't have the list right now, read the INF file - they are: SYS and DLL files mentioned in it).

That will give you USB mouse and keyboard support on ALL existing hardware prior to hardware detection.

I don't know about the regestry tweak you found from M$ - interesting, maybe working :) Try it.
But I have doubt that regestry trick needs system reloading to work or cancel it - this is not possible with system on CD, and I suggested file renaming - rename it back if you need and all will work out of pocket :)

About different CPU. Actually it's one of the problem with clonning systems on different hardware. There were a lot of problems after SP3 for XP introducing with clonning on AMD CPUs (if I'm not mistaken) and M$ sugested stopping Intel CPU service in clone before transferring. That should work.
Another way - look into MobileOS, the author made custom INF from CPU installing one that will pretend installing some driver during hardware detection but won't change anything in fact.

As for universal system and PE system - differences are obvious and I don't want to discuss them here (can you install a printer on the fly or play any game supported in XP when in PE?).

#163 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:09 PM

The limit is however DVD size, so I would make a test with the 3÷4 Gb one,

Little correction. The biggest file one can put on a DVD is just 2GB.
Dhilip89 even writes this somewhere in this thread.

#164 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:40 PM

Little correction. The biggest file one can put on a DVD is just 2GB.

The Tutorial .pdf, which you can get "by itself" here:
http://www.boot-land...?...3890&st=124

Starts creating a 3.9 Gb image in VWare.....:)
...I guess there would no point if the limit was 2 Gb....:)

Could you backup this statement with a link? :)

Dhilip89 even writes this somewhere in this thread.

jaclaz

#165 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:54 PM

The file size limit would be (2^31 - 1) = 2,147,483,647 bytes.
But i checked and this applies only to ISO 9660 level 2. With ISO 9660 level 3 4GB are possible, though no idea how compatible the newer spec is.
For something that is supposed to work on all machines, i would stick to level 2.

#166 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

The file size limit would be (2^31 - 1) = 2,147,483,647 bytes.
But i checked and this applies only to ISO 9660 level 2. With ISO 9660 level 3 4GB are possible, though no idea how compatible the newer spec is.
For something that is supposed to work on all machines, i would stick to level 2.

Which would translate roughly to :):
  • the info about 4 Gb was accurate, and your correction just a boo-boo
  • nowhere Dhilip89 wrote about a 2 Gb limit, on the contrary his original project is based on a 3.9 Gb sized image
  • you found a (I must admit very elegant :)) way to avoid admitting the above and shifting the focus on how you personally think to be safer to use "level 2" instead

jaclaz

#167 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:45 PM

I must admit very elegant :)

Yep! Elegant is my middle name! :)

#168 Dhilip89

Dhilip89

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Anything that can blow my mind.
  •  
    Malaysia

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:58 PM

Well, regarding about the differences of CPU and DVD file size limit:

I have tested ETBoot on different machines during the development stage: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, and another is AMD Athlon 1800+
Both of the machine booted without any problem as it detect and install the CPU driver on boot.

About the file size limit that I mentioned before:
http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=28799

#169 m0dhippy

m0dhippy
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:11 AM

I just wanted to give everyone here a huge round of applause because this project is absolutely awesome. I'm running into a bit of a problem though, and it could just be because I'm new to vmware. I've been using virtualbox previously.

Anywho I followed the pdf tutorial step by step, I have my OS running perfectly, I ran the ETBootPatch then ran the console command & shut down.

When I browse to the list of images saved by VMware I don't see any flat files there. I see a really big VMware virtual disk file that's almost 2Gb, which I would imagine is my target image, but when I try creating an iso through ETBoot Builder it's saying it's not a valid image.

I also mounted an external HDD with the selfimage application and ran it and saved the 3.9Gb img file, but it doesn't seem to have anything related to Windows there. I don't know how the system will know how to boot from it. When I use ETBoot Builder it doesn't error on the img file, but once the iso is created I tried testing it out by booting to the iso from vmware & virtualbox, and both vm's seem to just get stuck on loading so I'm not sure what to do. Am I missing a step, or perhaps I need to enable some kind of configuration. I'm sorry if this has been answered before. I couldn't find an answer from searching myself.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm uploading an image to show you what I have.

Attached Thumbnails

• images.JPG

#170 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:57 AM

Let's make a deal. :D

You go in your preferences and check "show file extensions" (or uncheck "hide file extensions for knowwn type of files") and re-post the folder image.

I will try and help you.

Hint:
Among the several files named "Windows XP Professional" the one around 2 Gb labeled "VMware virtual disk file" may be a VMware virtual disk file

Point is whether it has the "proper format".

As an alternative, instead of troubleshooting the problem, you may want to use Qemu instead of VMware, it will be a little slower when booting but has a couple of advantages (mainly the fact that it can use "RAW" images directly and that it will already have the "default" "Dual IDE PCI Driver") and a small disadvantage, you need to use a BCDL floppy to test the .iso on Qemu afterwards:
http://www.boot-land...?...=3890&st=46

:D

jaclaz

#171 bilou_gateux

bilou_gateux

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 230 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:41 PM

I created a DVD today based on WinXP SP2 and it worked on both my workstation and my laptop, except that I couldn't get my USB keyboard and mouse working on the workstation.

I realize this disc isn't meant to be portable but is there anything I can do to get better hardware compatibility? Is it possible to add a bunch of drivers to XP in advance so it can recognize my USB peripherals for example? In that case I can just add the needed drivers inside the VMware guest before creating the image.

Finally I wonder if you recommend any registry tweaks to control Windows behavior when it finds new hardware. Since I won't have network enabled there's no point in Windows asking to locate drivers online for example.

HID mouse and keyboard support:

POSTSETUP.cmd
@ECHO OFF&SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS

::# http://www.paraglidernc.com/plugins/settargetroot.htm

SetTargetRoot.exe /en

for /F "usebackq skip=2 tokens=3 delims= " %%a in (`reg.exe query "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Environment" /v TARGET_ROOT`) do (set TARGET_ROOT=%%a)

IF "%TARGET_ROOT%" NEQ "" (

IF /I "%TARGET_ROOT%" NEQ "%SYSTEMROOT%" (

Echo/TARGET_ROOT set to %TARGET_ROOT%

)

)

CALL LDHIVES.cmd %TARGET_ROOT%

CALL HID.cmd %TARGET_ROOT% SOFTWARE.SAV SYSTEM.SAV

CALL ULDHIVES.cmd %TARGET_ROOT%

LDHIVES.cmd

(set TARGET_ROOT=%1)

Echo/Loading TARGET hives

REG LOAD HKLM\SOFTWARE.SAV %TARGET_ROOT%\system32\config\SOFTWARE

REG LOAD HKLM\SYSTEM.SAV %TARGET_ROOT%\system32\config\SYSTEM

)

)

Add the needed drivers inside the VMware guest
Merge to your VMware guest SYSTEM hive
HID.cmd
(set TARGET_ROOT=%1)

(SET Software=%2)

(SET System=%3)

:: Files

for %%? in (hidusb usbccgp kbdhid mouhid) do (

extrac32 /Y /L %TARGET_ROOT%\system32\drivers "%TARGET_ROOT%\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab" %%?.sys

)

:: CriticalDeviceDatabase

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\hid_device_system_keyboard" /ve /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\hid_device_system_keyboard" /v "Service" /d "kbdhid" /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\hid_device_system_keyboard" /v "ClassGUID" /d "{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"  /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\hid_device_system_mouse" /ve /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\hid_device_system_mouse" /v "Service" /d "mouhid" /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\hid_device_system_mouse" /v "ClassGUID" /d "{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"  /f

for %%? in (HidUsb kbdhid mouhid usbccgp) do (

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\%%?" /v ErrorControl /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\%%?" /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\%%?" /v Type /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

)

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\HidUsb" /v DisplayName /t REG_SZ /d "Microsoft HID Class Driver" /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\HidUsb" /v Group /t REG_SZ /d "extended base" /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\HidUsb" /v ImagePath /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "system32\drivers\hidusb.sys" /f

::# reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\HidUsb" /v Tag /t REG_DWORD /d 12 /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\kbdhid" /v DisplayName /t REG_SZ /d "Keyboard HID Driver" /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\kbdhid" /v Group /t REG_SZ /d "Keyboard Port" /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\kbdhid" /v ImagePath /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "system32\drivers\kbdhid.sys" /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\kbdhid"  /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

::# reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\kbdhid" /v Tag /t REG_DWORD /d 5 /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\kbdhid\Parameters" /v WorkNicely /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\mouhid" /v DisplayName /t REG_SZ /d "Mouse HID Driver" /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\mouhid" /v Group /t REG_SZ /d "Pointer Port" /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\mouhid" /v ImagePath /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "system32\drivers\mouhid.sys" /f

::# reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\mouhid" /v Tag /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\mouhid\Parameters" /v UseOnlyMice /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\mouhid\Parameters" /v TreatAbsoluteAsRelative /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\mouhid\Parameters" /v TreatAbsolutePointerAsAbsolute /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\usbccgp" /v DisplayName /t REG_SZ /d "Microsoft USB Generic Parent Driver" /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\usbccgp" /v Group /t REG_SZ /d "Base" /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\usbccgp" /v ImagePath /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "system32\drivers\usbccgp.sys" /f

::# reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\usbccgp" /v Tag /t REG_DWORD /d 14 /f

ULDHIVES.cmd

(set TARGET_ROOT=%1)

Echo/Unloading hives

REG UNLOAD HKLM\SOFTWARE.SAV

REG UNLOAD HKLM\SYSTEM.SAV

)

)

#172 bilou_gateux

bilou_gateux

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 230 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:53 PM

You should already have all Root Hub,USB Universal Host Controllers and USB Mass Storage device drivers copied to your VMware guest:
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\usbd.sys
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\usbohci.sys
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\usbport.sys
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\usbstor.sys
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\usbuhci.sys

If one of this file is missing, the registry key is probably also missing and you should add it.

Here the script i use to inject all USB required settings to an offline guest image to support USB boot. They should be used as is for [project]ETBoot
Command line: SETTARGETROOT /S /W USBboot.cmd

USBboot.cmd
@ECHO OFF&SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION

::ONLINE

SET ROOT=%SystemRoot%

SET DRIVE=%SystemDrive%

SET Software=SOFTWARE

SET System=SYSTEM

::

set DRIVE=%TARGET_ROOT%

(set DRIVE=!DRIVE:~0,2!)

SET ROOT=%TARGET_ROOT%

)

)

IF /I "%DRIVE%"=="%SystemDrive%" (

::online

::sc config usbuhci start= boot

sc config usbuhci group= "System Reserved"

::sc config usbehci start= boot

sc config usbehci group= "System Reserved"

::sc config usbstor start= boot

sc config usbstor group= "System Reserved"

::sc config usbhub start= boot

sc config usbhub group= "System Reserved"

)

REG LOAD HKLM\%DRIVE%_SOFTWARE %ROOT%\system32\config\SOFTWARE 

REG LOAD HKLM\%DRIVE%_SYSTEM %ROOT%\system32\config\SYSTEM

SET Software=%DRIVE%_SOFTWARE

SET System=%DRIVE%_SYSTEM

)

)

:: http://blogs.msdn.com/embedded/archive/2007/04/26/useful-usb-boot-information.aspx

:: CriticalDeviceDatabase

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\*pnp0a03" /ve /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\*pnp0a03" /v "Service" /d "pci" /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\*pnp0a03" /v "ClassGUID" /d "{4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"  /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#cc_0c0320" /ve /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#cc_0c0320" /v "Service" /d "usbehci" /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#cc_0c0320" /v "ClassGUID" /d "{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}" /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\usb#root_hub20" /ve /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\usb#root_hub20" /v "Service" /d "usbhub" /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\usb#root_hub20" /v "ClassGUID" /d "{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}" /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\usb#class_09" /ve /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\usb#class_09" /v "ClassGUID" /d "{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}" /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\usb#class_09" /v "Service" /d "USBHUB" /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\usb#class_08" /ve /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\usb#class_08" /v "ClassGUID" /d "{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}" /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\usb#class_08" /v "Service" /d "USBSTOR" /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\gendisk" /ve /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\gendisk" /v "ClassGUID" /d "{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\gendisk" /v "Service" /d "disk" /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\usbstor#disk" /ve /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\usbstor#disk" /v "ClassGUID" /d "{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" /f

REG ADD "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\usbstor#disk" /v "Service" /d "disk" /f

::Drivers

::# http://setacl.sourceforge.net/

::# Windows permission management

for %%? in (usbehci usbhub usbstor usbuhci) do (

SetACL -on "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\%%?" -ot reg -actn ace -ace "n:S-1-5-32-544;s:y;p:full" -silent

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\%%?" /v Group /t REG_SZ /d "System Bus Extender" /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\%%?" /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\%%?" /v Tag /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

)

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\USBSTOR" /v DisplayName /t REG_SZ /d "USB Mass Storage Driver" /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\USBSTOR" /v ErrorControl /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\USBSTOR" /v ImagePath /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "system32\DRIVERS\USBSTOR.SYS" /f

reg add "HKLM\%System%\ControlSet001\Services\USBSTOR" /v Type /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

regedit

REG UNLOAD HKLM\%DRIVE%_SOFTWARE

REG UNLOAD HKLM\%DRIVE%_SYSTEM

)

)

goto :eof

#173 m0dhippy

m0dhippy
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:35 AM

I'm running into an issue. I figured out the -flat.vmdk file format. When I first setup the VM, I set it up as a typical setting, and it doesn't seem to generate a flat file that way. It only seems to generate it when you do a custom one. Anywho I made a custom one with all the settings in the pdf tutorial.

I installed WIndows XP & optimized it just like I want it. Then I turned it off and changed the cd drive to boot to an iso. I boot to the ISO (ETBootPatch.iso) and when I select #1, the only drive that comes up is the X Drive which is the virtual drive that's assigned to the iso.

I don't know why my C: drive doesn't show up, if I reboot the system normally, it loads Windows up fine. Has anyone ever come across this before?

Here is a screenshot of it.

I did notice that the floppy drive doesn't connect ow, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Offcourse I don't have a floppy drive in my pc, but maybe it's required on the VM to work properly. It's very odd though. When I bring up the HDD properties. I see the Independent check box & the options persistant\non-persistant, if Independent is unchecked it's set as pre-allocated.

The HDD is setup as a SCSI 0:1
CD Rom is IDE 0:0
I tried all settings and none of them work, but they all boot up fine to the HDD, only it's not detected in the ETPatchBoot.iso

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG

#174 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:04 AM

Has anyone ever come across this before?

I am guessing here, but I would say approximately 100% :D of people who has a SATA drive. :D

The XP that you installed inside the VM has by default the "special" VM disk controller driver, which you later replace with the "standard" IDE/ATA one.

When you boot on a real machine, it cannot find a SATA drive for which you have no driver.

You can try setting in the BIOS of the machine the drive in "IDE compatibility mode" (or some similar setting to that effect).

Or you need to integrate in the build the appropriate SATA driver.

;)

jaclaz

#175 m0dhippy

m0dhippy
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:15 AM

I have a quick question. First of all thanks for all your help jaclaz. I greatly appreciate it.

I got everything up and running without any issues *finally* haha. Anywho, Is there anything that could be done about the speed of the bootup process? I didn't expect it to boot up as fast as off a Hard Drive obviously. I was thinking maybe 2-3 minute bootup, but I seriously have to wait 15-20 minutes before I can use that, and that's just ridiculous. Is there anything that can be done to make it bootup a bit faster?

Is it taking so long because of the dirvers? Because my mouse doesn't even recognize until about 15 mintues into Windows. If one were to implement the Driver Pack into a Freshly installed copy of Windows & then created the image, would it boot up faster & detect the drivers faster?

Also would it go faster if there was more memory assigned? I assigned 512mb. Perhaps creating a pagefile or something. Another alternative could possibly have to do with the system state using S3 or S4 modes. I have come across a script that emulates a fast bootup on XP.
Here is a link of a motherboard that uses the technology: http://forums.tweakt...-boot-mb-28933/

And here is a script I found that supposedly emulates it:
http://bigfatflat.ne...ic/fastboot.bat

However I can't figure out how to get it to work. It doesn't cause my system to shutdown, only restart.

I also was reading about the parameters activatehorm. More can be read about it here: http://www.pcreview....d-2828632-3.php

However I couldn't get horm to be enabled, I read somewhere else it's because it's in RAM mode. Maybe someone here with more knowledge can shed some light.

Thanks in advance & for all the previous help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users