• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#126 Moon Goon

Moon Goon

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:57 PM

FYI, if you read attentively the thread, you will see that I found a way to use Qemu instead, which also gets rid of the step about changing mass storage device drivers.

jaclaz

Instead of pointing out my lack of attentiveness - which is your opinion and could be discussed privately - it would be more helpful to be constructive and supply a VM for those who do use VMWare player.

Check this out:
http://moongoon.boot...et/etbootvm.zip

The usual disclaimers apply. I have not tested this on multiple machines. I'm only starting to delve into ETBoot myself. I guessed most of the settings off the tutorial PDF.

#127 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

Instead of pointing out my lack of attentiveness - which is your opinion and could be discussed privately - it would be more helpful to be constructive and supply a VM for those who do use VMWare player.

Check this out:

The usual disclaimers apply. I have not tested this on multiple machines. I'm only starting to delve into ETBoot myself. I guessed most of the settings off the tutorial PDF.

Sorry, I did not mean to point out anything, just thought you might have missed that part, buried as is among other posts.

My personal problem is that recent versions of VMware do not run on the (limited) hardware I have, so I really cannot help with anything "VMWarish".

jaclaz

#128 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:47 PM

Not at all my business :thumbup: , but ETBOOT appears like the ONLY project around here with a nice step-by-step .pdf tutorial.... :thumbup:

Just in case, I am attaching it here.

jaclaz

Thanks jaclaz, You did just what I hoped to get:
A help not to read all the 120 previous posts!

@Dhilip89:
Your tutorial is :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol:
Thanks. I'll try to build a dvd next days

Peter

#129 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4171 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:18 PM

Check this out:

What is this? Is that like a template for the VMware Player.

#130 Shirin Zaban

Shirin Zaban

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:1_Making Unattended and Customized XP<br /><br />2_Making different types of Bootable and Multiboot CD/DVD<br /><br />3_Like to learn more about grub and grub4DOS
  •  
    Iran

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:32 PM

[quote name='Dhilip89' date='Feb 7 2008, 06:05 AM' post='28775']
Hello,

I'm going to release the new project that been used by myself internally, this project can create a real bootable Windows Live CD/DVD,
so you will be able to use full installation of Windows operating system on CD/DVD without installation.

=======================================
Hi Dhilip89

By helps of my very good friend "ispy",I Got familiar by your great Tutorial
and dowloaded ETBoot and tested that.
Really exelent project and great tutorial.I tested it and every thing was as
you descibed.

I just can say thank you,thank you,thank you !!!

Hope to see more tutorials from you again.

Is there any way to shorten installed windows by least options?

thank you

shirin

#131 AeroXP

AeroXP

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Motorola 68000 Assembler, PCs, Betas, Boot Disks, x86 Assembler
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:07 AM

Is there any way to shorten installed windows by least options?

nLite, it worked for me.

#132 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:34 AM

Need some information about EWF (better in simple language and here, links are great but time is limited to read all that search engings are showing :thumbup: Tried but didn't find a clear answer ;)

1. If EWF enabled how much physical memory it can use for temporary writing?

2. Do I need to configure how much physical memory it can use or it just adopts to what I have at the moment on a computer?
I mean - does it metter if I boot on a computer with 256MB or 1GB (let alone the speed, just memory using)? How much memory it can use for temporary writing in each case?

3. And if for example I have 256MB system image (say reduced, nlited or whatever) can I use 512MB or more for EWF operations? I mean - can the memory EWF uses for writing be bigger then the partition where it is enabled?

#133 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:16 PM

Does this help?

http://msdn.microsof...y/ms912915.aspx

;)

#134 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:48 PM

MedEvil
Thanks! :thumbup:

I've been reading these pages all day long and found a lot of interesting things!

And I've already found ALL the answears in this only line:

RAM is not pre-allocated by EWF; therefore EWF uses free RAM until the system runs out of memory.

;)

#135 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:56 PM

The interesting part about EWF is that, when you give it the same amount of ram that the protected partition is big. Then the system will work 'forever'.
But if you give it less ram, you can actuall write a 10MB file, delete it, write it new, delete it,....
till the system crashes with 'out of memory error'.

;)

#136 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:04 AM

The interesting part - you don't need to "give" EWF any amount of memory:

RAM is not pre-allocated by EWF;...

EWF will take needed memory by itself:

therefore EWF uses free RAM...

Well, yes, occasionaly

...until the system runs out of memory.

But this is very interesting anyway - it means we have dinamically growing RAM disk now ;)

#137 Dhilip89

Dhilip89

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Anything that can blow my mind.
  •  
    Malaysia

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:14 AM

Hello everyone,

Sorry that I've been missing for a long time because I don't have internet access since last 2 months ago.

Also I think the C:\ is not because copying files to ram, since I found the usage of memory is only 400K.

But I can save files to C:\, could someone tell me why ??

You may refer to http://msdn.microsof...y/ms912906.aspx for the information about EWF.

So I got some time yesterday and I tried it out, it worked perfectly, and I was able to test it on two physical machines.

My P4 2.6Ghz with 768Mb of RAM, it took about 5 minutes to boot, and be at a place that Windows was responsive.

My Core2 Quad 3.0Ghz with 4GB of RAM took...about 5 minutes. I looked at the task manager and it was only using one of the cores, as I should have known, and only 3GB of the RAM (since it is not x64).

Still I'm very happy and the tutorial is laid out nicely, do you mind if I post it in another forum? Not CD forum but they might want this too.

And I don't know much about USB drives and booting, but do you think it could be tweaked to boot this? Thanks.

It uses all CPU core on my Core 2 Quad, to enable this:

Try using 2 processors in VMware while installing Windows

-or-

Update the "Computer" driver in device manager to "APCI Multiprocessor PC".

About the USB Booting, that is theoretically possible, you may integrate the WinXP USB Boot tutorial around the web with ETBoot, but I can't tell that 100% work.

#138 Dhilip89

Dhilip89

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Anything that can blow my mind.
  •  
    Malaysia

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:28 PM

Hi all,

I forgot to mention something, this project can be posted to other forum.

Some new physical machine will cause BSOD on boot, this can be fixed by changing the disk controller to "Legacy" or "IDE" in BIOS setup.

#139 m-p{3}

m-p{3}
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:09 PM

I just read the whole tutorial, and I must say this looks very promising. I will have to try this out when I have some spare time.

I was wondering, with the use of EWF could it be possible to create a persistent storage of the modifications, like on a USB thumbdrive so it can be booted and get back into it's last used state ?

EDIT: Another question I've got regarding EWF. When a file is modified on a read-only location, the filter will take care of saving the modified data to a writable location (ie: RAM) seamlessly so it appear as modified. In case a file is modified, and in the future deleted, will the space used by the modified version will be freed or will it occupy the same space, therefore reducing until RAM is completely filled ?

#140 sirius

sirius
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Afghanistan

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:35 PM

thankx for this great effort will tray it.

#141 Hrodric

Hrodric
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:34 PM

Could you re-up the "Toolkits + Tutorial", pls?

#142 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:34 AM

Could you re-up the "Toolkits + Tutorial", pls?

You'll have to wait a couple of days.
The board was transferred to a new server, and some things are not yet properly working (attachments being one of them apparently).

jaclaz

#143 Hrodric

Hrodric
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:53 PM

Oh, ok! No problem, I think I can wait, thanks!

#144 Sylvast

Sylvast
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:23 PM

I just found out about this project and it really does look amazing. However I wonder if there is any solution for creating a boot disc that will handle sata-drives? I get the same BSOD discussed earlier in this thread when I try to boot with a physical disc in my laptop.

The disc was created in VMWare Fusion (Mac OS X) and works fine when booted inside a VMWare guest.

#145 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:47 PM

However I wonder if there is any solution for creating a boot disc that will handle sata-drives? I get the same BSOD discussed earlier in this thread when I try to boot with a physical disc in my laptop.

1) check if it works in Qemu (just to make sure that is not anything else):
http://www.boot-land...?...=3890&st=46
2) once the above is verified, a try that you can make is to use instead of the "Standard PCI dual channel", the UNIATA:
http://alter.org.ua/...ft/win/uni_ata/
that should be compatible with both PATA and SATA drives. (if the chipset is one of the supported one)

BEFORE that, if your laptop BIOS supports it, I would try the CD again setting the BIOS in "ATA/IDE compatibility mode".

As always your mileage may vary....:)

jaclaz

#146 Sylvast

Sylvast
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

Thank you jaclaz, I'll try all of you suggestions shortly.

I just recently found these forums and I must say I'm very very impressed by the projects and the skill of those involved in them. Big thanks for that and for the helpfulness being shown by everyone involved. :)

#147 Sylvast

Sylvast
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

I created a DVD today based on WinXP SP2 and it worked on both my workstation and my laptop, except that I couldn't get my USB keyboard and mouse working on the workstation.

I realize this disc isn't meant to be portable but is there anything I can do to get better hardware compatibility? Is it possible to add a bunch of drivers to XP in advance so it can recognize my USB peripherals for example? In that case I can just add the needed drivers inside the VMware guest before creating the image.

Finally I wonder if you recommend any registry tweaks to control Windows behavior when it finds new hardware. Since I won't have network enabled there's no point in Windows asking to locate drivers online for example.

#148 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:26 PM

It's strange, I thought that USB mouse/keyboard were already "default", but I never use them, so really cannot say.

Having BOTH keyboard and mouse not working seems like a main limitation :) even if you add the (uninstalled) drivers to the build, I wonder how you can install them should autodetection fail.

But since you are a lucky guy :), just recently something interesting has come out:
http://www.911cd.net...o...c=22523&hl=

maybe it can (and will :)) be adapted to support more kinds of drivers.

A test with driverspacks is however something you can easily try:
http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/

The problem might be motherboard drivers, but then build will be even less portable. :)

If I were you I would try with one (or two) of these:
http://www.tigerdire...e...7&CatId=469

jaclaz

#149 Sylvast

Sylvast
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:44 PM

jaclaz, thanks for the quick response. It's like having my personal support guy at stand by. :)

The USB-stuff is probably just something with that specific computer. Theres something "funky" with the USB in that one.

I'll look into adding driver packs anyway for other hardware anyway. And that injection tool looks great also, could be very convenient.

#150 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

Go into the BIOS of your laptop and look for something called USB compatibility mode or USB legacy mode.
That should let Windows think you have PS2 devices.
But in general USB mouse and keyboard should work right out of the box no special drivers needed.

:)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users