[project] ETBoot

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#101 Dhilip89

Dhilip89

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Anything that can blow my mind.
  •  
    Malaysia

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:01 PM

Hi Dhilip89,

After several ISO images with different size, checked step by step, with and w/o different apps in composition, the result is that all images are ok and boot under VM but none does boot under phisical machine.
After first boot screen of Windows allways come an BSOD. I try to boot on 3 different machines and the result is the same. I don't know what to do more. Have a clue ?

Did you update the existing IDE controllers driver to the Standard IDE Controller in the image?

#102 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:11 PM

Did you update the existing IDE controllers driver to the Standard IDE Controller in the image?

Which, if ASSR did not, gives an entire new meaning to the adverb accurately! :)

I had followed the steps of tutorial accurately.

jaclaz

#103 ASSR

ASSR

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:14 PM

I would bet that it is a 0x0000007b one, which should mean that the image has wrong or missing mass storage drivers.

Do the machines have SATA or PATA/ATAPI/IDE drivers?

jaclaz

Hi Jaclaz,

Yes the Tech. Info is STOP : 0x0000007B (0xf78A6A98, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) you are wright.
And yes the phisical machine have a motherboard ASUS K8V-X with SATA Raid / Optional IDE Raid, SATA active.
On ATAPI/IDE 0:1 & 1:0 - DVDRW Multi & DVDRW Super multi DL.
Does the VM have a SATA (SCSI) driver instaled with F6 at Windows installation, in particular for this machine ?
I test the burned DVDs on other machines w/o SATA on MB and don't work. (image that work on VM).
Ref. Post#6 ASSR, I asked for details of step 4 of the Tutorial. Maybe some drivers more/or other drivers are needed ?

If you have an idea, please let me know.

Best regrds,

ASSR

#104 ASSR

ASSR

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:42 PM

Dhilip89 & jaclaz

And YES, I update the existing IDE controller with the standard IDE controllers, ref. pnt.4 Tut, in the real sense of meaning of "the adverb accurately".
Probably my english is poor and I can't make myself understandable. (I don't want to offence anyone). :)

ASSR

#105 Dhilip89

Dhilip89

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Anything that can blow my mind.
  •  
    Malaysia

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:45 PM

@ASSR

Check your physical machine's BIOS has the option for changing SATA/IDE to legacy mode or not.

#106 ASSR

ASSR

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:17 PM

@ASSR

Check your physical machine's BIOS has the option for changing SATA/IDE to legacy mode or not.

Dhilip89,

AMI BIOS v02.54
Main
Primary IDE Master (Not detected)
Primary IDE Slave (Not detected)
Secondary IDE Master - DVDRW
Secondary IDE Slave - DVDRW
Advanced/Onboard Devices Configuration
OnChip SATA BOOTROM (Enabled)
-----------
Can BIOS of host machine affect the BIOS of VM ? ... ISO Image is done from VM with generic drivers ... so on other machine (phisical) with IDE / no active RAID (MSI Deluxe '2000 MB, A1600+,512MB RAM, WD160) also don't work.
-----------
Is all the process host machine dependent ?

ASSR

#107 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:00 PM

When you shut ETBoot down in your VM, does XP turn the VM off or deisplay a page telling you that you can now turn off?

:)

#108 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:18 PM

The point is that this particular build of Windows is Read Only, since it resides on CD.

Any build of NT based windows need specific mass storage drivers in order to be able to boot and see the machine hard disks.

Now, a VMware built image will have the specific VMware drivers, as ASSR already found out the hard way with the SCSI/IDE HD image problem, and this is why the Dhilip89 tutorial includes a step to change them with the "Standard PCI IDE Controller" ones.

That's why I proposed the alternate way of building using Qemu (that way there is no need to change the drivers as a Qemu installed NT System already uses "Standard PCI IDE Controller" driver).

If a "normal" window on the particular machine use any Mass Storage Driver different from the "Standard PCI IDE Controller" one, it will most probably BSOD with STOP 0X0000007b.

In other words, ETBoot is NOT an easily "portable" build, it is more like a "diskless station" XP Embedded build, very specific to the hardware.

I have no idea :) about an easy enough procedure to be able to change the drivers and/or customize the build for different machines, the only practical way I see is to build ETBoot directly on the target machine. :cheers:

Any idea would be appreciated. :(

jaclaz

#109 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:30 PM

That depends.
On a 'normal' system i can load bunch of drivers and let the system sort things out. Is this possible with SATA drivers too or can one only ever load one driver?

:)

#110 ASSR

ASSR

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:25 AM

The point is that this particular build of Windows is Read Only, since it resides on CD.

Any build of NT based windows need specific mass storage drivers in order to be able to boot and see the machine hard disks.

Now, a VMware built image will have the specific VMware drivers, as ASSR already found out the hard way with the SCSI/IDE HD image problem, and this is why the Dhilip89 tutorial includes a step to change them with the "Standard PCI IDE Controller" ones.

That's why I proposed the alternate way of building using Qemu (that way there is no need to change the drivers as a Qemu installed NT System already uses "Standard PCI IDE Controller" driver).

If a "normal" window on the particular machine use any Mass Storage Driver different from the "Standard PCI IDE Controller" one, it will most probably BSOD with STOP 0X0000007b.

In other words, ETBoot is NOT an easily "portable" build, it is more like a "diskless station" XP Embedded build, very specific to the hardware.

I have no idea :) about an easy enough procedure to be able to change the drivers and/or customize the build for different machines, the only practical way I see is to build ETBoot directly on the target machine. :(

Any idea would be appreciated. :cheers:

jaclaz

Hi Jaclaz,

I think the idea of this project is to build a bootable DVD which is booting on a phisical machine with don't meter what hard components included on chassis, with minimal options to work (maybe w/o sound and all video features and coddecs) but capable to see the phisical HD (NTFS), to allow an partitioner and a recovery agent to work on it and additional to open/(save) some files as i.e. *.doc, *.xls, *.ppt, *.pdf, *.iso and browse the net.
This DVD (I think) must be use as a recovery disk and same time as an "portable/embedded" system to use it w/o modifying the host machine on which is booted (if this is not desired).
To build a DVD for my own machine si not difficult because is easy to import the phisical machine on VM and compile the apps that I need (with respect of building space) but it will work ONLY on my machine or on identic one.
Please comment, if I'm wrong tell me.

With respect,

ASSR

#111 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:33 AM

NO, as said, right now ETBoot is NOT easily portable on different hardware.

Just like a "real" XP (have you ever tried to "transplant" a new motherboard without re-installing?):
http://www.michaelst.../moving_xp.html

If you need a portable Recovery Environment, a PE based one is what you should look at.

jaclaz

#112 ASSR

ASSR

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:49 AM

NO, as said, right now ETBoot is NOT easily portable on different hardware.

Just like a "real" XP (have you ever tried to "transplant" a new motherboard without re-installing?):
http://www.michaelst.../moving_xp.html

If you need a portable Recovery Environment, a PE based one is what you should look at.

jaclaz

I was thinking so ... I allready have a multiboot recovery environement on PE and DOS with all utilities, but it would be nice to build a media (like UBUNTU or PUPPY or DSL) on Windows/MS Office base with read/write accses to HDD and USB (Flash or HDD).
Ok, I understand the difficulties ... Hope for the future...

Best regards,

ASSR

#113 AeroXP

AeroXP

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Motorola 68000 Assembler, PCs, Betas, Boot Disks, x86 Assembler
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:32 PM

It'll work if you force it to use generic drivers.

#114 lintel

lintel
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for share.
Iwill test soon.
But how did it work with EWF ?
Could you offree the ramwrite ?

#115 hodgestructure

hodgestructure

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:07 PM

It works fine. Thank you very much.
I will try it on my physical machine.

But I have some questions.

After testing, I added the virtual disk which I removed before booting from .iso.

Then I copied some files in vm, and reboot, then the added files disappeared !!!

I think it's related to ewfmgr C: -enable, right?

Could you explain what ewfmgr C: -enable does and why the files disappeared?

Also even I removed the virtual disk and booted from .iso, I can see a C:\ in vm.

Is this because it copys files to ram??

Thanks

#116 hodgestructure

hodgestructure

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:41 PM

Amazing !!!! The LiveDVD ( made from vm) works on my physical PC. No BSOD !!

Although the speed is very slow, but it works fine.

After I arrived the desktop, it asked me to install drivers for many devices.

I tried to installed them, no problem.

soundmax, nvidia display card, Realtek Ethernet, and ect....

I post this reply in LiveDVD.

At first, I think I will get a BSOD, I am wrong...!!

If I have chance, I will try this LiveDVD on other pc.

Thanks Dhilip89 .

Also I think the C:\ is not because copying files to ram, since I found the usage of memory is only 400K.

But I can save files to C:\, could someone tell me why ??

#117 hooovahh

hooovahh

• Advanced user
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:06 PM

Sorry I couldn't help my self this project brought me out of hiding :thumbsup:

Seriously I don't go into hiding I just don't have time, but dude this looks cool.

I gave you a mirror for your download, hope you don't mind.

ETBoot.zip
(Thanks again Nuno)

So I got some time yesterday and I tried it out, it worked perfectly, and I was able to test it on two physical machines.

My P4 2.6Ghz with 768Mb of RAM, it took about 5 minutes to boot, and be at a place that Windows was responsive.

My Core2 Quad 3.0Ghz with 4GB of RAM took...about 5 minutes. I looked at the task manager and it was only using one of the cores, as I should have known, and only 3GB of the RAM (since it is not x64).

Still I'm very happy and the tutorial is laid out nicely, do you mind if I post it in another forum? Not CD forum but they might want this too.

And I don't know much about USB drives and booting, but do you think it could be tweaked to boot this? Thanks.

#118 wanderer

wanderer

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:18 AM

@hooovahh

At 99% of the download and during extracting the file,I get this NOD32 alert.

Greetz

Attached Thumbnails

• ETBoot.JPG

#119 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10545 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:11 AM

Antivirus don't like UPX.

Try unpacking the file (upx -d *.exe)

:thumbsup:

#120 hooovahh

hooovahh

• Advanced user
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:34 PM

I simply downloaded all the parts, extracted them, re-compressed them (into a single archive) and then posted it. They should be the exact same file Dhilip89 posted.

#121 scankurban

scankurban

• Advanced user
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

Successfully booted with fully installed programs turkish xp source.Before ewf patch i'm trying to integrate many drivers with dpinst.exe.After bootup installing drivers automatically.Thats realy helpful.Thanks for your work

#122 Moon Goon

Moon Goon

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

I noticed VMWare was used alot in the tutorial .PDF. I wonder if a virtual machine could be made for VMWare Player? That way one can use the authors VM of choice but not hafta pony up for a full copy of VMWare Workstation ACE Pro Gold SE Ultra

#123 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:49 PM

I noticed VMWare was used alot in the tutorial .PDF. I wonder if a virtual machine could be made for VMWare Player? That way one can use the authors VM of choice but not hafta pony up for a full copy of VMWare Workstation ACE Pro Gold SE Ultra

FYI, if you read attentively the thread, you will see that I found a way to use Qemu instead, which also gets rid of the step about changing mass storage device drivers.

jaclaz

#124 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:20 PM

@Dhilip89

Until now I did not try your project because I'm rather busy in several other tasks. But now I'm starting to try this project. It seems to be very interesting.

My question to you:

It would be a favour for me (and I think for a lot of other members, too) if you write a small tutorial
  • (What it does seems to be explained by the title here)
    But maybe some more explanations (only several lines)
  • How to setup and build a CD / DVD
I know that everything is already explained anywhere before, but perhaps you compare the time to write the tutorial with the time to go through 130 posts ...

Peter :lol:

#125 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

My question to you:

It would be a favour for me (and I think for a lot of other members, too) if you write a small tutorial

Not at all my business :lol:, but ETBOOT appears like the ONLY project around here with a nice step-by-step .pdf tutorial....:thumbup:

Just in case, I am attaching it here.

jaclaz

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users