A n00b's woes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cybergenesis

cybergenesis
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:53 AM

Hi. Firstly, please understand that I am new to this, as I tend to bite off more than I can chew. Please put on the tone of voice you use when you splaining something slowly to a child :thumbsup:

I downloaded Download Winbuilder 074. It downloaded all the various files etc, it took a little while.

With all the selection boxes ticked for XP LIVE CD, I allowed it to run. It completed the process and reported no errors at all.

Yet when I try to run the ISO in VMWare or VirtualBox, it will load up, show the desktop background then reset. One time it briefly came up with some error (in VMWARE, in the guest OS, not a VMWare message) before it reset, something like unable to copy file because volume is unmounted, something like that (I couldn't read it, it reset too quickly).

I really want to get this working. I find it very exciting. But if anyone has further time here are some thing I want to be able to do from my bootcd:

* IF possible, I want audio, I have "realtek high definition audio" as my sound driver.

* Besides having recovery type tools, I want to be able to watch media files with Videolan or other player.

* I would love to be able to boot up VMWare Player or VirtualBox inside the LiveCD and then run a virtualized system, such as a system from a file on my hard drive.

* I wonder about the possibility of having a video presentation play, sort of like a tutorial when the system initially boots up.

edit: Tried in qemu, same problem as above.

#2 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:38 PM

With all the selection boxes ticked for XP LIVE CD, I allowed it to run. It completed the process and reported no errors at all.

Yet when I try to run the ISO in VMWare or VirtualBox, it will load up, show the desktop background then reset. One time it briefly came up with some error (in VMWARE, in the guest OS, not a VMWare message) before it reset, something like unable to copy file because volume is unmounted, something like that (I couldn't read it, it reset too quickly).

Hi, cybergenesis, welcome in our forum!
For the first trial it is not a good choice to select ALL available modules for build.
You should start with the constellation the fresh download offers.

Generally, If one hase some troubles, we need the log file here:
After building the project, click the 'Log' button in the right. Depending on the complexity of the build, it will take a while to build the log.
Then click the 'Save as log.html' button. It will generate 'log.html' in the BaseDir (where WinBuilder.exe resides). Zip this file and post here.

* I would love to be able to boot up VMWare Player or VirtualBox inside the LiveCD and then run a virtualized system, such as a system from a file on my hard drive.

For that, mybe you try nativeEx_moa-lite. It is a special project to start VMWare Player.
You can download it from the server 'nativeex.boot-land.net'

Peter

#3 Moon Goon

Moon Goon

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

Another thing to try is using a different source (for your XP files). A popular method is to download the 2k3 Trial. For some reason those files seem to work better. Also, if you are doing this for a business, you may have access to an Action Pack or volume licensed media.

#4 cybergenesis

cybergenesis
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:12 PM

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I'll muck around with what you have suggested.

#5 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:46 PM

Seems like I may need to add the MOA scripts to LiveXP...

Regards,
Galapo.

#6 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:57 PM

Seems like I may need to add the MOA scripts to LiveXP...

Regards,
Galapo.

PLease be cautious!
If you look some posts ago:

For that, mybe you try nativeEx_moa-lite. It is a special project to start VMWare Player.
You can download it from the server 'nativeex.boot-land.net'

I never thought about what happens if this is included inside a different live project.

Peter

#7 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:20 PM

I'm actually using it in my own 'personal' project on my machine, which is basically a combination of nativeEx, nativeEx_moa-lite, and LiveXP. Seems to work fine except that Player cannot be run in a virtual machine, at least v.2.0.2-59824

Regards,
Galapo.

#8 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:50 AM

I should add that the VMXBuilder script does not work 100% for me. In order to get it to work, I've had to include 'CoreSetup.exe' and create a shortcut to it to run before starting VMXBuilder for the first time. Otherwise I receive the following error:
vmxbuilder_error.png

This is the case for the current script on your server and also the earlier one which had all the files included.

Regards,
Galapo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users