Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:IT, Outdoors, Horses
  •  
    Canada

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:35 AM

I've been unable to connect to any page on the VistaPE.net web site since about mid-day today. I know that NightMan was having some difficulties with his hosting service and offered to help, but have heard nothing since last week. Anyone else in contact?

#2 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:46 AM

UPDATE: The hosting service, "BlueHost", now reports --
There is no website configured at this address

#3 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:38 AM

Hopefully NightMan is up to something good. :thumbsup:

In the meantime, Google's cache may come in handy for anyone desperate for a VistaPE script. For example:

http://www.google.co...N...=clnk&cd=11

I think that copy-and-paste might work for individual scripts. Not much good for the whole project though.

... I wonder what has happened!?

#4 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:07 AM

... I wonder what has happened!?

When we last communicated on NightMan's web site beta forum, he passed along a message from his hosting service that said, in essence: You're resource usage it too high and, if you don't agree by January 29th to accept a higher priced service, we're going to shut you down.

I offered to provide a temporary home on the same server that I use, but NightMan just thanked me and said he was trying to decide what to do about it. I've heard no more from him, neither here nor there, since then (last week). Like you, I hope that he's up to something good, but the silence is a bit worrisome. I sure wish he'd let us know what's happening one way or another. Mainly, I just hope that he himself is okay.

#5 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 06:11 AM

... if you don't agree by January 29th to accept a higher priced service, we're going to shut you down.

Yikes! That sounds like the problem though. If he is changing servers, it's possible that he is currently being swamped by WAMP, which may be the reason that he is incommunicado.

... I just hope that he himself is okay.

Totally!

#6 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:56 PM

If he is changing servers, it's possible that he is currently being swamped by WAMP, ...

Been there. Done that. More than once, in fact. And yes, it's a major pain in the backside that can keep one sidelined for a while. Nevertheless, I was kinda expecting some brief notice to the community here. The total silence worries me a little.

#7 phox

phox

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 764 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:16 PM

The total silence worries me a little.

Don't worry, NightMan is tough enough to survive this setback!

#8 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:36 PM

The total silence worries me a little.

I think the silence is better than other, sometimes... and I think that if he had wanted to divulge the issue he would have done it... so, don't worry! :thumbsup:

#9 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:52 PM

Huh?! The disappearance of any web site can hardly be considered a secret. It pretty well 'divulges' itself. And NightMan surely made no secret about it when he explained the situation with a big pinned-post 'Trouble!' headline on his own site. I'm just puzzled about his not forewarning the rest of the community here. That seems very unlike his usual modus operandi.

In any case, I fail to see how prolonged silence about an obvious occurence after the fact could be considered 'better than other' for anyone concerned. It certainly won't stop people from wondering about it and speculating in ways that couldn't help being worse than the very simple and entirely innocent facts themselves warrant.

#10 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

Arvy, that's my opinion not an attack against yours!

I think that if a website is not reacheable reasons can be a lot and that it does not mean that an user necessarily think the worst, huh?

Furthermore, and seen that you continue to tell about that: only you, few other members and me know that the thread "Trouble" was opened on a private board, then not on a public board... and I think that if he had wanted to open the thread on a public board he would have done it...

My concept of "private" is different of yours, probably... but this is not a problem, at least for me...

And also I think that in this specified case we cannot help anyone, and I continue to think that this thread surely does not help anyone!

I repeat: this is my opinion, and not an attack against your opinion.

Btw: also I think that my previous post was clear enough... without any rancour! :thumbsup:

#11 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:34 PM

My concept of "private" is different of yours, probably...

I guess it must be if you think a situation like this can be held "private" or that I'm disclosing some secret that would otherwise be unknown to the world. Even if it were possible, the very notion that the facts would be better confined to a privileged few and withheld from most people who normally use the site's resources baffles me completely. Anyhow, it's a lost cause regardless of my 'revelations'. It's pretty hard to get much more public than the notification that is currently displayed on every site access by its hosting service, BlueHost:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This Domain (vistape.net) Has Been Disabled
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For information on restoring your account please call customer service as soon as possible
When/If you call our support help line, please have your site name ready.

#12 phox

phox

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 764 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:11 AM

Calm down guys, please!

NightMan is quite capable to overcome this unfortunate situation.
If he needs help, I am sure, he would be asking for it!

Our patience will be rewarded with some nice surprise.

#13 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:33 PM

If he needs help, I am sure, he would be asking for it!

:thumbsup:

#14 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:28 PM

VistaPE site is up! :D

:thumbsup:

#15 phox

phox

Silver Member

• .script developer