Bootable Windows 95 CD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RDHerm

RDHerm
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:30 PM

I just recently acquired a fairly old PC that was running Windows 98. I figured I'd take a little nostalgia trip and install Windows 95 on it. Windows 98 would not let me install and older version, so I formatted the drive with the intention of doing a fresh install of 95.

In my stupidity, I had forgotten that the Windows 95 CD was not a boot-able disc, and that the initial boot was done with floppy. The computer doesn't have a floppy drive, so the original boot disc is of no help. The format erased the CD-ROM drivers, so the only thing that runs are boot-able CDs with drivers already on them.

I have found a couple of places on the net that offer boot-able Windows 95 CDs, but every one I have come across is not offering disc images, but rather self-extracting .exe files. This is also no help to me because none of my other computers are currently running Windows.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:56 PM

- get a Win95 Floppy image off the net, that includes a CDROM driver
- copy the contents of the Win95 CD to your HDD
- burn a new bootable CD, which uses Floppy emulation

:thumbsup:

#3 RDHerm

RDHerm
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

- get a Win95 Floppy image off the net, that includes a CDROM driver
- copy the contents of the Win95 CD to your HDD
- burn a new bootable CD, which uses Floppy emulation

As I said in my original post, I can't seem to find a floppy image. Do you have any idea where I can find one?

#4 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:11 PM

As I said in my original post, I can't seem to find a floppy image. Do you have any idea where I can find one?

I don't have a Win95 copy anymore, but wasn't a floppy image on the CD?
Checked my bookmarks for a suitable site, seems a lot of sites have gone belly up again end of last year, sorry.

#5 Ove

Ove

.script developer

• .script developer
  • 192 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:17 PM

You can get a Windows 98/ME bootable floppy image from www.bootdisk.com, and then, using Nero, you can create a bootable CD that has the image you downloaded, and copy the Windows 95 installation folder on the CD.
So, you have a bootable CD that has Windows 95 on it, and when you boot from it, it's just like you would boot from a Win98/ME system diskette.
You won't have any problem installing Win95 by booting from a Win98/ME diskette. I do it all the time :thumbsup:

#6 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:27 AM

..or, maybe easier, get ANY WIN boot floppy here:
http://www.allbootdisks.com/

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic