12 replies to this topic

#1 Pavel Azanov

Pavel Azanov

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:40 AM

I saw some projects like that but all of them are using a ram disk to start the system from the cd. I would like to make it without a ram disk. Is it possible? There is the problem that windows wants to write to the registry. But it could be fixed, i think. If you have some suggestions on how to make it, please help me

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:18 PM

NO, you need a ramdisk anyway.

If you use a Registry Redirector, like the (now NOT anymore available) Qualystem one, you can have a VERY SMALL ramdisk, just big enough to hold the Registry.

There is another solution available, read here:
http://www.boot-land...ctor-t2293.html

But still "something" with READ/WRITE access is needed.

Read also this thread where some links are given:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=2267

jaclaz

#3 Pavel Azanov

Pavel Azanov

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:56 PM

thanx. :thumbsup:

#4 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:22 PM

I guess the more exotic solution would be, to patch Win98 to open the the hives in ro mode and not try to write them back.
This way you could, at least in principle, get away without a ramdisk, but i doubt that many programs will be able to run without and scratch space.

:thumbsup:

#5 Pavel Azanov

Pavel Azanov

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:30 PM

thank you for the suggestion. i'll think about it. currently i'm waiting for more information about the windows xp live dvd built by Dhilip89. here are some screenshots. -> Windows Live DVD
it's very interesting, so i want to see how he's done it and it may could work for other versions of windows to. i think it will be better than the livexp project or vistape, because these systems are currently not very stable and you don't have the possibilities like in a normal system.
I hope that it's not a fake with the screenshots. :thumbsup:

#6 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:45 PM

You can not use it for Win9x systems, not even the needed drivers will work with it.

#7 Pavel Azanov

Pavel Azanov

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

thanx that you warned me. i had an other idea yesterday. what if i pack an installed windows 98 that is installed on drive x: into the new format that is used by vistape and the vista setup , also into the boot.wim? if this wil work, i could make a bootable version of every windows that would be less than ~500mb.

#8 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

No idea if this can work, but it wouldn't be any different from running Win98 from Ramdisk the traditional way.

#9 Pavel Azanov

Pavel Azanov

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:32 PM

you're right, but if i'll pack it into *.wim it will be more compresed, so i can add other systems to this cd/dvd, too. :thumbsup:

#10 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:09 PM

you're right, but if i'll pack it into *.wim it will be more compresed, so i can add other systems to this cd/dvd, too. :thumbsup:

Sorry wrong again, a wim can only be compressed if it uses ntfs. Since you're stuck with Fat, if you use Win98, you will not gain any space.

How about if you put 'Win98' into a selfextracting archive on the CD? This way you can get an even higher compression, than you would get with ntfs compression. :D

:D

#11 Pavel Azanov

Pavel Azanov

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:23 PM

:thumbsup: :D :D yeah. thats the problem i didn't see yet! I have simply forgotten that windows 98 doesn't use ntfs! also i'll try to build the cd how it's written here:

Windows on CD 1 or
Windows on CD 2

#12 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:41 PM

:thumbsup: :D :D yeah. thats the problem i didn't see yet! I have simply forgotten that windows 98 doesn't use ntfs! also i'll try to build the cd how it's written here:

Windows on CD 1 or
Windows on CD 2

Do not waste your time with the original 'CT method, something is missing in it, the other one DOES work, see more info and other links here:
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=12326
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=16860

jaclaz

#13 Pavel Azanov

Pavel Azanov

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:59 PM

thanx :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic