Photo
- - - - -

Firefox 2.0.0.11 script (with minimal customization)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DigeratiPrime

DigeratiPrime

• Advanced user
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:53 AM

Here is a Firefox script I built from scratch for VistaPE 11. I extracted the latest build of Firefox Portable from here:
http://portableapps....irefox_portable

Normally it would on first start have a completely empty profile folder which would increase loading time and present Firefox as if it was your first time using it. So I made the following modifications:

added latest Flash plugin "FirefoxPortable\Data\plugins\NPSWF32.dll"
added an empty bookmarks file "FirefoxPortable\Data\profile\bookmarks.html"
set homepage to google, disabled phishing filter, and welcome tab "FirefoxPortable\Data\profile\prefs.js"
hide personal toolbar "FirefoxPortable\Data\profile\localstore.rdf"

I set the nsis launcher ini to hide the splash screen but it seems to force it in PE.
[attachment=4197:Firefox_2.0.0.11.7z]

#2 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4173 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for the Scipt. Sorry to hear the Splash wont hide. Nice Adjustments.

#3 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for the Scipt. Sorry to hear the Splash wont hide. Nice Adjustments.

I think you need to copy a userprofile.

I just started firefox under PE, did necessary settings, copied the systemprofile/appdata/roaming/mozilla folder to master computer and add it in my separate dircopy script from local drive for rebuild -> no more splash screen.. You could archive it inside a script too if you want.. Btw, works for a lot of other apps as well as some programs store settings under userprofile rather than the installation folder. :thumbsup:

edit: noticed this was the portable version, haven't tried that, the above works for standard version only, but I think you already knew that :D

#4 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:43 PM

Using the portable versions, from portableapps.com, is a bad isea for a PE.
Those versions are build to, not write to any other folder but their own.
But the best solution for a PE are apps which write to no other folder but 'Documents and Settings'!
So the default Firefox, is actually the better solution and will also eat up less ram.

:thumbsup:

#5 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:49 PM

Using the portable versions, from portableapps.com, is a bad isea for a PE.
Those versions are build to, not write to any other folder but their own.
But the best solution for a PE are apps which write to no other folder but 'Documents and Settings'!
So the default Firefox, is actually the better solution and will also eat up less ram.

I agree! :D
However, accepting a pre-customized version, also my Fully-configured release can run from media saving the RAM... :D

Btw: as we know original Mozilla Firefox Web Browser is able to run from writable media only (USB Flash Drive, but not CD-ROM)... :D

#6 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:30 PM

Btw: as we know original Mozilla Firefox Web Browser is able to run from writable media only (USB Flash Drive, but not CD-ROM)... :thumbsup:

:D
As far as i know, FF only needs write access to the profile and plugins folders and both are usually in DaS.

#7 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:27 PM

As far as i know, FF only needs write access to the profile and plugins folders and both are usually in DaS.

Really in Windows Vista (and in VistaPE too) the path is different ("C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla"), but from point of view of writable media is surely the same thing (both are writable)...
Then we are talking about the same thing... :thumbsup:

However, if you try to create a VistaPE environment where Firefox is running from media ("Programs" folder in VistaPE, and not "Program Files" folder that is X:\ drive, that is in RAM) and you burn ISO on CD-ROM then Firefox will not start... but if you copy the same "boot.wim" on USB Flash Drive then Firefox will regularly start...

There are some releases of Firefox Portable, Mobile, Live (I didn't try them) that promise to start from CD-ROM too, but they are NOT original Mozilla Firefox Web Browser... :D

http://portablefirefox.mozdev.org/

http://www.download....4-10437430.html

http://www.mobilefirefox.com/

Btw: about a curiosity, I read of recent Asus Motherboard that can launch Firefox after 5 seconds from initial computer switch-on (without to load OS)... :D

#8 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:07 PM

Really in Windows Vista (and in VistaPE too) the path is different ("C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla"), but from point of view of writable media is surely the same thing (both are writable)...
Then we are talking about the same thing... :thumbsup:

Yep we do!

However, if you try to create a VistaPE environment where Firefox is running from media ("Programs" folder in VistaPE, and not "Program Files" folder that is X:\ drive, that is in RAM) and you burn ISO on CD-ROM then Firefox will not start... but if you copy the same "boot.wim" on USB Flash Drive then Firefox will regularly start...

I would have to recheck with a current version, but FF used to work fine with just the app on ro media. :D

Btw: about a curiosity, I read of recent Asus Motherboard that can launch Firefox after 5 seconds from initial computer switch-on (without to load OS)... :D

;) Any idea how that should work?

#9 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:21 PM

I would have to recheck with a current version, but FF used to work fine with just the app on ro media.

I don't know that, I would must just try what you say... however, as read in above provided links too, I can confirm that also in my environment Firefox doesn't start from CD-ROM...

:thumbsup: Any idea how that should work?

Give me some minutes and I will search for a link... :D

Probably it runs from ram (or from a dedicated memory chip) with minimal driver (video. mouse)...

#10 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:28 PM

http://crave.cnet.co...-9795472-1.html

Seconds are 15... :thumbsup: and OS is a Linux-embedded somewhere in the mobo... :D

#11 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:35 PM

http://crave.cnet.co...-9795472-1.html

Seconds are 15... :thumbsup: and OS is a Linux-embedded somewhere in the mobo... :D

Yeah we built a system with that mobo at work recently. It was nice, not replacement for VistaPE though :D

#12 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

Yeah we built a system with that mobo at work recently. It was nice, not replacement for VistaPE though :thumbsup:

Can you give specifics on the used OS?

#13 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:23 AM

Can you give specifics on the used OS?

Actually the previous links already give all info available atm.

Here's a direct link to the OS developer site.

http://www.splashtop.com/index.php

It's called splashtop, based on linux. Didn't really have much time to play with it. I believe it is integrated on some kind of memory drive so it can even remember bookmarks etc.

Anyway it's integrated with motherboard and that new Asus mobo is not exactly cheap.. Would be nice if this kind of technology would come available in maintsream products though.. :D

#14 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:54 PM

I've read what was posted at splashtop.
I just thought, since you have access to the baby, you could give us some more technical info then their marketing department. :thumbsup:

#15 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:00 PM

Found this on the topic:

To access this source code you must go to this page on their website and fill out a form that contains very basic information and then they will automatically email you the download link. The SplashTop source package is currently 11.6MB without the SDK. Right now, this package provides dvm-dist-20071019, which consists of core and appliance portions. The appliance portion contains BlackBox 0.70.1 with BBKeys and BBDock. The other part of the appliance portion is SCIM 1.4.7 with its related components.

Unfortunately, with this early source-code the core is not actually the SplashTop core but just six kernel patches. These patches are for Bootsplash, DVM, getting the CMOS time, adjusting the max loop, the sk98lin networking driver, and SquashFS. Presently, the Linux kernel that SplashTop uses is Linux 2.6.20.11.

That's it for the SplashTop GPL source code right now. There isn't much to get excited over with today's source-code release but hopefully that will change once the SplashTop SDK is available.

Link to source code

#16 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:05 AM

I've read what was posted at splashtop.
I just thought, since you have access to the baby, you could give us some more technical info then their marketing department. :thumbsup:

Well not much more to report at this point I'm afraid :D Computer already delivered to owner (which is my boss btw). ;) I'll try to play with it more when get a chance again.. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users