12 replies to this topic

#1 scartaris

scartaris
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:52 PM

Hello all and greats thanks for your Works ! (sorry for my bad english)

So I 've got commercial version of Qsoft Ramdisk who permit me to have a ramdisk up to 96 mb.
So it's work under bartpe with 256 mb.

Here , I change in the scrpit the association with my file "ramdriv.sys"
Of course , if I boot with that, I've got bluescreen. :thumbsup: (I think conflict with 2 ramdrive)

So, How you remove the first original ramdrive ?

Thanks

S

#2 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:IT, Outdoors, Horses
  •  
    Canada

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:14 AM

Not completely sure what you want to remove. VistaPE has its own downloadable Qsoft.script with RAMDriv.sys encoded as an attachment file within it. If you don't want it to be included in the final build, just uncheck it in the Addons listing. If you want to substitute your own RAMDriv.sys file, you can simply delete the one that is encoded within that script and then encode your own in its place.

Alternatively, you could, of course, delete that downloaded script entirely and create your own.

#3 scartaris

scartaris
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:39 AM

Ok , thanks for your answer !
But , in fact , is there an other way to have the drive "X" to 256 Mb ?

S

#4 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:58 AM

Well, drive X: is normally VistaPE's FBWF boot drive. But you can certainly make your Qsoft RAMdrive (usually B:) whatever size you want by using the size adjustment scrollbox in the Qsoft script.

#5 scartaris

scartaris
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

Hum, in fact , Impossible to me to have a ramdisk "X" up to 65 Mb.
Even if I set FBWF to 128 or 256 :thumbsup:

When I boot my "X" driver is always 65 mb

Any idea ?

Thanks

s

#6 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:45 PM

Hum, in fact , Impossible to me to have a ramdisk "X" up to 65 Mb.
Even if I set FBWF to 128 or 256 :thumbsup:

Sorry, scartaris, but I think you may be somewhat confused between the two. That's why I provided that link to Microsoft's explanation of FBWF. But I guess it wasn't clear enough.

No, setting FBWF size will definitely not adjust the ramdisk size (Qsoft or any other), nor vice versa. FBWF and ramdisk are two entirely separate and quite different things. In most cases, VistaPE using FBWF in conjunction with its boot.wim, has no need for any ramdisk, but you can add one if you wish and, using the Qsoft.script, you can select whatever size you want for it too.

But, to repeat, size selection for either one is entirely independent of the other, and neither determines the size of the VistaPE boot drive (usually X:) per se. Setting the FBWF size only affects the File Based Write Filter itself.

#7 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:19 AM

Sorry, scartaris, but I think you may be somewhat confused ...

... me too ... :thumbsup:

Hi Arvy,

I have read your posts, and can see you are a valuable contributer.

Me... I find this topic a difficult concept to grasp. Sometimes a technical term will give a hint (to a noob like me) as to a purpose. But "File-Based Write-Filter" ... WTF??? And RAM-Disk? What disk? Also, I am not familiar at all with any QSoft Product, and it seems to me that the topic has moved slightly away from QSoft specifically... (I hope I'm right about that.) Anyway ... that's me! :D

No, setting FBWF size will definitely not adjust the ramdisk size (Qsoft or any other), nor vice versa. FBWF and ramdisk are two entirely separate and quite different things. In most cases, VistaPE using FBWF in conjunction with its boot.wim, has no need for any ramdisk ...

Here's where I am confused. Is WinPE 2.0's "x:\" a RAM-Disk or a RAM-Drive or some abstract construct of FBWF? Is there a difference?

WinPE 2.0's boot.wim can be on CD, DVD, UFD, or HDD, but it loads into "x:\" and boots from "x:\" ... (always!?)

But, to repeat, size selection for either one is entirely independent of the other, and neither determines the size of the VistaPE boot drive (usually X:) per se. Setting the FBWF size only affects the File Based Write Filter itself.

I have done some experiments with my own WinPE 2.0 Project. The following line of code is found in VistaPE v.11's 'Build => 3 - Shell & Config':
RegWrite,"HKLM",0x4,"Tmp_setupreg_hiv\ControlSet001\Services\FBWF","WinPECacheThreshold","%pScrollBox1%"

I have used something similar (in fact, virtually identical), setting the "%pScrollBox1%" variable set at 128, and get the following screen-shot from VirtualPC 2007:

[attachment=4198:FBWF_128.png]

"x:\" is roughly the size of the "WinPECacheThreshold" setting under the FBWF Service.

Using WinPE 2.0's Default (i. e. the above code is not run at all), there is no "WinPECacheThreshold" setting in the Registry, and the size of "x:\" is roughly 32MB.

[attachment=4199:FBWF_Default32.png]

In conclusion, it seems that changing a setting fro FBWF does adjust the size of "x:\". But what is "x:\"?

And I don't know why scartaris's "x:\" seems stuck on 65MB. The predefined setting in VistaPE's '3 - Shell & Config' is 64.

For reference, I found a post by diddy here:
'WinPE 2.0 booting from usb memory to ram, ram disk size increase'
http://www.911cd.net...t...=19&t=19592

And an interesting way to define a "B:\" Drive in RAM (from gadget) here:
'Creating a RAM Drive in PE 2.0'
http://www.msfn.org/...php/t91906.html

Regards :D

#8 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:23 AM

Sob! :thumbsup: I was hoping to get away with that link to Microsoft's web site. I just knew that, if I said anything myself, someone would inevitably come along and challenge me to provide a more complete explanation. I'm not sure that I understand FBWF fully and completely myself, but I'll try my best.

First, and most important, it is NOT a ramdisk which is a much simpler concept. A ramdisk/ramdrive is merely a portion of memory that is set aside and can be used just as if it were a real writeable disk with its own assigned drive letter. The Qsoft RAMDriv.sys is one example of an installable Windows driver capable of using a chunk of memory in that way.

FBWF, on the other hand, redirects writes to a cache which can be thought of as an overlay on top of some existing media where the composite view is a combination of the contents on disk and the RAM overlay cache. In this way, it is possible to emulate some limited writeability where the media itself is actually non-writeable. Although FBWF may possibly have some effect on the apparent size of the media it overlays, it is definitely NOT a separate drive of its own. Its similarity to a ramdisk is that any written content disappears at the end of the session.

At least, that's my understanding. If you want more in-depth techie stuff on the subject, you'll have to find someone with a much higher level of 'guruness' than I posses.

#9 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:44 AM

Sob! :thumbsup: I was hoping to get away with that link to Microsoft's web site.

Cheer up! :D

I'm still trying to get my head around the first paragraph of your link!

... an overlay is similar to a transparency overlay on an overhead projector. Any change made to the overlay affects the picture as seen in the aggregate, but if the overlay is removed, the underlying picture remains unchanged.

:D What's an overhead projector? :D

#10 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:32 AM

BTW, if all that is required is a virtual B:\ Drive in RAM, the following code creates the targeted folder, and creates a .cmd to perform the drive-letter substitution... as per gadget's directions.

DirMake,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\B_Drive"FileCreateBlank,"%TargetDir%\Windows\System32\B_Drive.cmd"TxtAddLine,"%TargetDir%\Windows\System32\B_Drive.cmd","subst#$sB:#$s#$qx:\Program#$sFiles\B_Drive#$q","Append"

All that is needed is the preferred technique to autorun/startup the B_Drive.cmd.

[attachment=4200:B_Drive.png]

Regards :thumbsup:

#11 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:25 PM

I'm still trying to get my head around the first paragraph of your link!

Well, if you think that's mind boggling, try to contemplate the fact that VistaPE's Windows Image (boot.wim) is itself created in RAM and then gets overlayed by the FBWF cache on top of that. If running VistaPE isn't one heck of a RAM test, I don't know what is.

:thumbsup: What's an overhead projector? :D

I think its some kind of antiquated predecessor of LCD and Plasma monitor screens, but my school days lie far behind in ancient history.

#12 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:31 PM

@ scartaris

I do not use Qsoft Ramdisk, but in VistaPE there is also "Ramdisk For VistaPE" ("Ramdisk.script") that probably is almost the same and that works so fine... then I suggest to try it. :thumbsup:

Btw: obviously I agree that two issues in topic are entirely separated, however both require some amount of RAM on host machine... then, as always, their values must be wisely chosen...

Well, drive X: is normally VistaPE's FBWF boot drive.

I would say that FBWF setting in VistaPE determines the size of free-space available in (X:\) drive. :D

Sob! ;) I was hoping to get away with that link to Microsoft's web site. I just knew that, if I said anything myself, someone would inevitably come along and challenge me to provide a more complete explanation.

:) :D

Warning: don't ask me about FBWF issue, I know only what I said! :D

#13 scartaris

scartaris
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:15 PM

OK, thanks to all for your replies

I found solution , In fact the value FBWF work now and my drive "X" is up to 256 Mb .

For obscur reason , it didn't work before. So I removed all Folder and rebuild new one.

And it work fine.

As I understand, Qsoft can create another ramdisk more than "X"

I'm sorry but I didn't understand the concept before.

Now it's clear for me :thumbsup: thank for your help .

s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users