#1 paul vickers

paul vickers

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:14 PM

Hi

I know there been alot of post on this but none really answer my question.

I have created a pe.20 image including hta, script, ect to allow me to run scripts. My pe2.0 widows folder is 297mb while mounted. When i unmount it the winpe.wim is around 111mb (maxium compression). The winpe image is loading onto the target pc via TFTP32/PXE and works great. I can network to the server and pull down any ghost image choose. This is all i want to do and it work great!.

However my problem is that i only can do this on machine that have 512mb of memory. The pe2.0 image will send down to a machine running 256mb of memory and will also connect to my server however when i try and run anything else for example ghost32.exe i get out of memory error message. All i need is winpe2.0 image to be little smaller!

I have read that people have removing .exe and .dll, the windows\fonts folder while the pe2.0 image is mounted but when i try i just end up with corrupt winpe.wim.

Can anyone help me!!!

#2 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:36 PM

paul vickers
Write email to me, vistape@gmail.com...

#3 risolutore

risolutore

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 311 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:24 PM

did you try with 256 also on a VM in order to test the memory request? try to increment gradually..

#4 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:52 AM

did you try with 256 also on a VM in order to test the memory request? try to increment gradually..

http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=3688 - did you see it? it not have network and PNP, but it's working... and now i working for next version of VistaPE, it's will be biggest that "Tiny" version, but with network and other :cheers:

#5 paul vickers

paul vickers

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:17 AM

No Have not tried in VM i am just using test kit. The Winpe image does load on a 256mb machine and connect to the server however i get the error through my script when trying to load a ghost image error unable to proceed page file too small.

The only functionality i require on the winpe image is network support, WMI, Scripting, XML and HTA packages installed.

#6 risolutore

risolutore

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 311 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:01 PM

Tiny ver is not MUI friendly...only for EN :-(

#7 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:05 AM

Tiny ver is not MUI friendly...only for EN :-(

yes, it's only demo project and EN is international language :thumbsup:

#8 paul vickers

paul vickers

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for help guys but i am still no closer.

I have had a look at tiny pe and although it looks like it is getting there it still has no network support or support for html scripting.

I have been looking a winbuilder but don't really know what i am doing. Can anyone helpme build a VisaPe.wim file that will load with just the following.

Network Support
WMI, Scripting, XML, HTA packages installed

This is all i really need. Any help would be really helpful.

#9 rohrbage

rohrbage
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:56 PM

Hi Paul,

I have no answer for your question, but I would like to know how you are dealing with PXE.
My boot image is about 120MB, and has all the options installed, but I think this will not help you
with your memory issuse. We have 512MB as standard, so we do not run in problems.

What do you have running as a PXE server?

Are all your PC´s are bboted by PXE or do you have to choose that manually in case you want to restore/create an image?

Is it possible to define a list on PXE server by MAC-Adress, so that this PC´s run PXE Boot, or the rest
will start after this check the normal boot process ond the drive C?

I´m very interested to get a better understanding of the PXE boot.

Regards
Gerald

Thanks for help guys but i am still no closer.

I have had a look at tiny pe and although it looks like it is getting there it still has no network support or support for html scripting.

I have been looking a winbuilder but don't really know what i am doing. Can anyone helpme build a VisaPe.wim file that will load with just the following.

Network Support
WMI, Scripting, XML, HTA packages installed

This is all i really need. Any help would be really helpful.

#10 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

Any help would be really helpful.

Hi paul vickers,

Attached is a whole new Project - two scripts to extract to a new Project Folder. A basic build from WAIK with options to install Drivers and Packages, and to create a PageFile for WinPE on a local HDD. It mounts rw WAIK's winpe.wim, 'captures' the build to boot.wim which trims it down a bit, then unmounts winpe.wim without committing any changes to it. The pe2.iso is created in Winbuilder's ISO folder.

I left my settings in the script as an example.

[attachment=4211:pe2.zip]

[attachment=4212:createpagefile.png]

Ghost started OK with 256MB RAM in Virtual PC 2007, and with a newly created 512MB pagefile on the Virtual HardDrive.

Update

As a result of extensive testing (see next post)....

With all staged Packages, no additional Drivers and no additional Applications, the original pe2 Project created a boot.wim of 130,860 KB (127 MB) and an ISO of 158,356 KB (154 MB).

The new pe2.002 Project handles things differently. It creates a copy of WAIK's winpe.wim, because the new Project commits changes to the wim. It then mounts rw the new wim file; optionally installs packages, drivers, and applications; and umounts the wim file committing changes. Then it exports the wim file to 'boot.wim' and creates the ISO.

The new boot.wim is 119,205 KB (116 MB), and the ISO is 146,702 KB (143 MB) - again with all staged Packages, no additional Drivers and no additional Applications

[attachment=4232:pe2.002.zip]

... gee, I hope it boots! ...should have tested before posting.

Edit: Yep!

:thumbsup:

#11 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:30 PM

After extensive trials... :thumbsup:

Starting with WAIK's winpe.wim of 160,160 KB (156 MB)....

1. 'imagex /export' => wim of 151,552 KB (147 MB)
2. 'imagex /mountrw', 'imagex /capture' => wim of 165,311 KB (161 MB)
3. 'imagex /mountrw', 'peimg /prep', 'imagex /capture' => wim of 103,842 KB (101 MB)
4. with wim from 2: 'imagex /export' => wim of 165,311 KB (161 MB) ... no change
5. with wim from 3: 'imagex /export' => wim of 103,842 KB (101 MB) ... no change
6. 'imagex /mountrw', 'imagex /commit' => wim of 161,369 KB (157 MB)
7. 'imagex /mountrw', 'peimg /prep', 'imagex /commit' => wim of 161,183 KB (157 MB)
8. with wim from 6: 'imagex /export' => wim of 151,552 KB (147 MB)
9. with wim from 7: 'imagex /export' => wim of 94,778 KB (92.5 MB)

... using default (fast) compression. Anyone interested in a trial with max compression?

... so, there you go. eh? What a surprise.

As a result, the Scripts in the previous post have been changed... pe2.002.

:D

#12 paul vickers

paul vickers

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:32 AM

Hi Paul,

I have no answer for your question, but I would like to know how you are dealing with PXE.
My boot image is about 120MB, and has all the options installed, but I think this will not help you
with your memory issuse. We have 512MB as standard, so we do not run in problems.

What do you have running as a PXE server?

Are all your PC´s are bboted by PXE or do you have to choose that manually in case you want to restore/create an image?

Is it possible to define a list on PXE server by MAC-Adress, so that this PC´s run PXE Boot, or the rest
will start after this check the normal boot process ond the drive C?

I´m very interested to get a better understanding of the PXE boot.

Regards
Gerald

Hi Gerald

I am using tftpd32 with pxe. My setup is that i press F12 which wait for tftpd32 which inturn load pxelinux (just a dos menu) which allow me the ability to have different load methods. as default i get it to call a dos network bootdisk as this is most supported. The second option starts the winpe image. To do this you need to create a boot file (BCD). I have also while playing around use WDS and RIS. RIS was good but didn't want to use it because it a dying product. WDS worked great but it would allow me to have the two options at boot up.

I hope this helps. below are some links that really helped me.

http://flimflan.com/...AndTheWAIK.aspx
http://freshmeat.net...jects/syslinux/
http://syslinux.zytor.com/memdisk.php
http://pagesperso-or...in/tftpd32.html

#13 paul vickers

paul vickers

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:35 AM

After extensive trials... :thumbsup:

Starting with WAIK's winpe.wim of 160,160 KB (156 MB)....

1. 'imagex /export' => wim of 151,552 KB (147 MB)
2. 'imagex /mountrw', 'imagex /capture' => wim of 165,311 KB (161 MB)
3. 'imagex /mountrw', 'peimg /prep', 'imagex /capture' => wim of 103,842 KB (101 MB)
4. with wim from 2: 'imagex /export' => wim of 165,311 KB (161 MB) ... no change
5. with wim from 3: 'imagex /export' => wim of 103,842 KB (101 MB) ... no change
6. 'imagex /mountrw', 'imagex /commit' => wim of 161,369 KB (157 MB)
7. 'imagex /mountrw', 'peimg /prep', 'imagex /commit' => wim of 161,183 KB (157 MB)
8. with wim from 6: 'imagex /export' => wim of 151,552 KB (147 MB)
9. with wim from 7: 'imagex /export' => wim of 94,778 KB (92.5 MB)

... using default (fast) compression. Anyone interested in a trial with max compression?

... so, there you go. eh? What a surprise.

As a result, the Scripts in the previous post have been changed... pe2.002.

:D

Thanks for all your help. I go through this later this week and report back. thanks again

#14 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for all your help. I go through this later this week and report back. thanks again

You're welcome. :thumbsup:

I was curious, especially the difference between /capture and /export - with /export being recommended in the WAIK readme.txt, and /capture being simpler for building projects.

I'm sure things can be trimmed down further ... unwanted fonts, exes etc.

Regards

#15 past college?

past college?
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

You're welcome. :)

I was curious, especially the difference between /capture and /export - with /export being recommended in the WAIK readme.txt, and /capture being simpler for building projects.

I'm sure things can be trimmed down further ... unwanted fonts, exes etc.

Regards

E:\20>imagex /mountrw winpe.wim 1 mount winpe.wim size 156MB

E:\20>peimg /prep mount\Windows 156MB

E:\20>imagex /unmount /commit mount 157MB

E:\20>imagex /export winpe.wim 1 ISO\sources\boot.wim /compress max /boot "winpe” 157MB

Boot.wim size increased after /export and /compress, can anybody please tell me what I have to do for optimize it more (especially on size)?

Can anybody please tell me what all dlls are unused group wise, like net group, remote access group, etc?

How can we remove existing drivers, by any tools which we can use on winpe?

What all stuff which can be removed from winpe, so that we can achieve size optimization?

Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

#16 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:44 PM

E:\20>imagex /export winpe.wim 1 ISO\sources\boot.wim /compress max /boot "winpe" 157MB

Boot.wim size increased after /export and /compress, can anybody please tell me what I have to do for optimize it more (especially on size)?

Hi past college?,

Make sure that the original 'boot.wim' in '...\ISO\sources\' has been deleted. Otherwise, you are simply adding another identical image to it.

Check with 'imagex /info'.

Good idea to uninstall drivers!

:)

#17 past college?

past college?
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:17 AM

Hi past college?,

Make sure that the original 'boot.wim' in '...\ISO\sources\' has been deleted. Otherwise, you are simply adding another identical image to it.

Check with 'imagex /info'.

Good idea to uninstall drivers!

:)

Thanks allanf, I have got, thats the problem you mentioned, imagex /export is exporting image on top of existing image.

still when I have removed one 22 MB size folder iso size reduced only upto 112MB, whats the fact behind it? is it because of imagex export or something related to prepared image?

I have to reduce ISO size further from 122MB. could you please help me on this context?

so I am providing one 22MB folder as zip file and still it increase size by 200KB instead decrease. any idea?

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users