Photo
- - - - -

[LiveXP] "USB Mass Storage Devices" Problem!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 larsm

larsm

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:57 PM

hi

the "USB Mass Storage Devices v10" script damages the MMC Disc Management and every Program that creates Partitions and want to sync them to the System.

In MMC Disc Management i can create the Partition, but cant format or access it.

It seems like Acronis Disk Director 10 is creating the Partition but it needs ~2 min to "Sync with the System". The Partition isn't accessible, too.

Paragon Hard Disk Manager makes Errors, too.

When i disable "USB Mass Storage Devices" script all Programs work perfect!

#2 Ove

Ove

.script developer

• .script developer
  • 192 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:19 AM

I will look into it

#3 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:30 AM

I will look into it

I think it depends on:
CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318},UpperFilters,PartMgr
PartMgr is not completely defined in Services (no Enum).
Acronis uses 'snapman' which is overwritten by the later USBSupport script.

Peter

#4 larsm

larsm

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:33 AM

I am using WinBuilder 74 and downloaded LiveXP from livexp.boot-land.net 2 days ago:

Acronis Disk Director 10 Lean v17
MMC v10
USB Mass Storage Devices v10

I need both, USB and Partitioning...

#5 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:37 AM

I am using WinBuilder 74 and downloaded LiveXP from livexp.boot-land.net 2 days ago:

Acronis Disk Director 10 Lean v17
MMC v10
USB Mass Storage Devices v10

I need both, USB and Partitioning...

My post was just a hint for Ove, where to start his research.

I fully agree with you that one script is not allowed to prohibit other scripts to work correctly.

Peter

#6 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:44 PM

I think it depends on:

CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318},UpperFilters,PartMgr
PartMgr is not completely defined in Services (no Enum).
Acronis uses 'snapman' which is overwritten by the later USBSupport script.

Peter

I think there's something else going on.
MMC Disc Management works without the USB script, but not with it and there's no 'snapman'.

:cheers:

#7 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:44 PM

I think there's something else going on.
MMC Disc Management works without the USB script, but not with it and there's no 'snapman'

@Medevil, you are right! :cheers:
@Ove:
What I now assume to be responsible for the issue:

USBSupport defines an UpperFilter 'VolSnap' in 'CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}'
The service 'VolSnap' is defined, but it references 'Enum\Root\LEGACY_VOLSNAP\0000' which is not present in the PE.

Peter

#8 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:31 PM

USBSupport defines an UpperFilter 'VolSnap' in 'CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}'
The service 'VolSnap' is defined, but it references 'Enum\Root\LEGACY_VOLSNAP\0000' which is not present in the PE.

Interesting, i discovered a few of this discrepancies, but since the two i checked thoroughly didn't affect the correct functioning, i thought that this is not used in a PE environment.

Live and learn. Every bug you don't squash, is coming back and bites you in the #§$ sooner or later! :cheers:

#9 Ove

Ove

.script developer

• .script developer
  • 192 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:45 PM

Well, I have tried to take a look, but i ran into a problem.
I have downloaded WB 074, with all the new scripts, and the project just doesn't build.
The script.project file lacks a lot of variables that were in the 072 version.
I haven't been able to build a project, let alone check the USB script. (I will try and download the scripts again to make sure)

But I have noticed the problem with the USB script doesn't appear to be in the 072 WB version (using older scripts)

Did anyone else have this problem?

#10 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 02:20 PM

Ove, which problem you mean, the one with the USB.script or the one with WB74?

I found the USB.script problem also in older builds (WB068), though i can't tell you anymore which versions of which scripts were used.

#11 Ove

Ove

.script developer

• .script developer
  • 192 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 25 December 2007 - 02:31 PM

Ove, which problem you mean, the one with the USB.script or the one with WB74?

I found the USB.script problem also in older builds (WB068), though i can't tell you anymore which versions of which scripts were used.

I mean the problem with Wb074 (actually, it's not WinBuilder.exe that has a problem, it's the LiveXP project that has a problem)
I have a set of older scripts, and Wb072, with which I have tried to create partitions using MMC. It worked, even when the USB script was used. I did not find any problem (well, except one: after creating the partition, Windows wasn't able to mount or format it). But after a restart, the partition got mounted, and you were able to format it no problem.

If that is the problem that larsm was refering to, it's not because of my USB script... The USB script provides support for USB drives, not for formatting partitions.

But still, the problem remains... I should be able to download WinBuilder, download the LiveXP project (with NativeEx_core and all the other things) and be able to build a PE straight away. I have downloaded it, chosen a source path, dest path, and ISO file, and the PE isn't built. The [Variables] section is missing from the script.project file.
I will try to download everything again, to make sure it wasn't a problem downloading the scripts.

Please try to download a fresh copy of WB 074, and download all the scripts (except VistaPE) and try to build a PE. To see if I'm the only one having this problem.

#12 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 02:54 PM

Please try to download a fresh copy of WB 074, and download all the scripts (except VistaPE) and try to build a PE. To see if I'm the only one having this problem.

Two things.
- Is it good enough if i just try LiveXP, cause i don't have much time today?
- LiveXP seems to have lots of trouble at the moment, maybe you should better use nativeEx_barebone as basis for your tests.

#13 Ove

Ove

.script developer

• .script developer
  • 192 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:27 PM

I think I have figured it out.
LiveXP works if you use an older script.project file's [variables] section, and add a few variables of your own.
I have almost "fixed" LiveXP. I will try with that.

It's good enough if you test only LiveXP. I was just wondering if I was the only one having this problem.

#14 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:10 PM

LiveXP works if you use an older script.project file's [variables] section, and add a few variables of your own.
I have almost "fixed" LiveXP. I will try with that.

Hi Ove,

Please post the needed variables and I will correct script.project and reupload.

Thanks,
Galapo.

#15 Ove

Ove

.script developer

• .script developer
  • 192 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:22 AM

I will attach a fixed script.project file here. Please upload it to make LiveXP work again.
Using this script.project file, the build works. However, I haven't tested it fully with SDI, and everything.
Hopefully it will work.
I have used the variables from an older 072 version.

Regarding Lars' problem.
I have not been able to find a problem, except this one:
When you use MMC to create a partition, it is created, BUT it can't be mounted, and thus can't be formatted or accessed. But, if you reboot the computer, the partition gets mounted, and you can format and access it.
If this is the problem you are talking about, I have noticed that the USB script doesn't affect it at all.
This problem appears even if I turn off the USB script.

Please tell me if this is the error you are experiencing.

Attached Files

#16 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:58 AM

Thanks, I'll take a look in the morning.

Regards,
Galapo.

#17 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:33 PM

I will attach a fixed script.project file here. Please upload it to make LiveXP work again.
Using this script.project file, the build works. However, I haven't tested it fully with SDI, and everything.
Hopefully it will work.
I have used the variables from an older 072 version.

Regarding Lars' problem.
I have not been able to find a problem, except this one:
When you use MMC to create a partition, it is created, BUT it can't be mounted, and thus can't be formatted or accessed. But, if you reboot the computer, the partition gets mounted, and you can format and access it.
If this is the problem you are talking about, I have noticed that the USB script doesn't affect it at all.
This problem appears even if I turn off the USB script.

Please tell me if this is the error you are experiencing.

The last variables (in Ove's sample starting with %Debug%) can be omitted. They are dynamically inserted by some project's scripts.

What I'm missing is the new %GlobalTemplates%=%GlobalSupport%\Common

Peter

#18 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:03 PM

What I'm missing is the new %GlobalTemplates%=%GlobalSupport%\Common

Yes, and that one isn't used by the script, so it can't be the issue.

Ove's one has this: '%Core%=%ProjectDir%' whereas the current version has: '%Core%=%projectdir%'. Could this be the issue? I've altered this.

Otherwise, I'm having difficulty in seeing any other differences...

Regards,
Galapo.

#19 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:24 AM

Otherwise, I'm having difficulty in seeing any other differences...

@Ove!
Please post the 'wrong' Script.project and tell us where you got it.

Peter

#20 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:50 PM

Ove's one has this: '%Core%=%ProjectDir%' whereas the current version has: '%Core%=%projectdir%'. Could this be the issue? I've altered this.

The WB variables are hopefully 110% case insensitive!

Peter

#21 Ove

Ove

.script developer

• .script developer
  • 192 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:04 AM

I got the wrong script.project from the boot-land server.
I just downloaded the project, and it didn't work.
I took a look at the script.project in LiveXP, and it didn't have a [variables] section AT ALL.
Please put whatever variables are missing back, and get LiveXP working again.

@larsm:
Please tell me if the problem you are experiencing is the one I described

#22 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:25 AM

I got the wrong script.project from the boot-land server.
I just downloaded the project, and it didn't work.
I took a look at the script.project in LiveXP, and it didn't have a [variables] section AT ALL.

Are you sure to use the right server livexp.boot-land.net?
My script.project from this server contains:
Title=XP Live CDDescription=Create a boot disk sized from 31Mb to 70Mb using explorer as shell, supporting SATA/IDE drives, USB devices, and many other features and tweaks. This project is based on PE environment and will use a Windows ™ XP SP2/2003 Install CD.Author=Boot Land communityContact=http://boot-land.net/forumsSelected=TrueCredits=Thanks to everyone who supports our works and keep making these techniques to create boot disks challenging and more efficient everyday that passes.. Warms thanks to the members of boot-land.net, ru-board and 911cd.netVersion=16TargetDir=%baseDir%\Target\LiveXPISOfile=%baseDir%\ISO\LiveXP.isoDate=2007-Dec-28Download_Level=0PEdrive=X:WBVersion=072.00[Variables]%target_win%=%TargetDir%\I386%target_sys%=%TargetDir%\I386\System32%source_win%=%SourceDir%\I386%source_sys%=%SourceDir%\I386%ProjectName%=livexp%GlobalTemp%=%BaseDir%\Temp%GlobalSupport%=%BaseDir%\Workbench%ProjectTemp%=%GlobalTemp%\%ProjectName%%GlobalTemplates%=%GlobalSupport%\Common%ProjectTemplates%=%GlobalSupport%\%ProjectName%\UserData%ProjectCache%=%GlobalSupport%\%ProjectName%\Cache%PPISODir%=%ProjectTemplates%\Data%PreISOName%=ISO-PreProcess.Script.txt%PostISOName%=ISO-PostProcess.Script.txt%PreISOScript%=%PPISODir%\%PreISOName%%PostISOScript%=%PPISODir%\%PostISOName%%shcTemp%=%ProjectTemp%\shcTemp.ini%HoJoPEdir%=%ProjectCache%\Prebuild%ProjectInfo%=%ProjectTemplates%\ProjectInfo.ini%ReOpenRoot%=%ProjectDir%\Tools\ReOpen%ProcessUPX%=%ProjectDir%\Tools\processUPX.Script%AutoRunFile%=%target_sys%\autorun.cmd%HoJoPEexe%=HoJoPE.exe%Core%=%ProjectDir%%ScriptLog%=%Core%\Basic\Build\ScriptLog.Script%EmptyHive%=%Core%\Basic\Build\EmptyHive.Script%AutoRunScript%=%Core%\Basic\Build\autoruns.Script%BuildModelScript%=%Core%\Basic\Build\4 - buildModel.Script%WBMScript%=%Core%\Basic\!WBManager\!WBManager.Script%OptionsScript%=%Core%\Basic\!WBManager\!myOptions.Script%ReOpenScript%=%Core%\Tools\ReOpen.Script%OLESupportScript%=%Core%\Basic\Build\7 - OLESupport.Script%API%=%ProjectDir%\Basic\Build\api.scriptAdd_Shortcut=Run,%API%,AddShortcutRequire_File=run,%API%,Expand_fileUnpack=Run,%API%,Depack%HIVE_HKLM%=%target_sys%\setupreg.hiv%HIVE_HKCU%=%target_sys%\Config\default%HIVE_HKU%=%target_sys%\Config\software%HIVE_BASE%=HKLM%reg_temp%=wb-hive%reg%\=%reg_temp%\hive_load=run,%API%,reg_hiveloadhive_unload=run,%API%,reg_hiveunloadreg_add=RegWrite,"%HIVE_BASE%"associate_file=run,%API%,do_associateNot_Compatible=Run,%API%,NotCompatibleProcess_log=Run,%ScriptLog%,Process-log//Api_Cmd=run,%API%,ExecuteApiSectionCopyProgram=run,%API%,Copy_ProgramAdd_Asso=Run,%API%,Association[Verify]...

Peter

#23 larsm

larsm

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:21 PM

LiveXP doesn't download Explorer.script automaticly. Download it and it should build.

I need LiveXP often for partitioning, cloning, copying, chkdsking, resizing of partitions, .... Rebooting after every step is not so nice.

But when I disable USB script even mouse and keyboard do not work.

#24 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:11 PM

LiveXP doesn't download Explorer.script automaticly. Download it and it should build.

This issue should now be fixed. Thanks for reporting.

Galapo.

#25 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:17 PM

I did not find any problem (well, except one: after creating the partition, Windows wasn't able to mount or format it). But after a restart, the partition got mounted, and you were able to format it no problem.

If that is the problem that larsm was refering to, it's not because of my USB script... The USB script provides support for USB drives, not for formatting partitions.

I think larsm's point was that a reboot is not needed if the USB script is not enabled. But when it is enabled, partition operations are hampered.

Regards,
Galapo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users