First build: Results and suggestions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 philon

philon

• Advanced user
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:25 PM

Made my first build today. Worked perfect without any major problems. I'm impressed obout the design and graphics of the main window, very professionel! :P
But there is a partial lack in scalability when properties of display ara set to 120dpi. It was really hard to find the place where the custom wallpaper can be defined.

On the Qemu page or on the build iso page a button "Test iso now" or "Make new iso and test with Qemu" would be helpful when some changes are made to an already existing Target folder "manually".

Is there away to get nicer icons for the documents folder and for cmd files?

Is there a way to define entries in shortcut.inf for something like this:
"Programs\Runscanner\runscanner.exe /t 0 regedit.exe" ?
I circumvented this by using a cmd file but have no adequate icon now.

When booting from cd my via sata hd was not visible as expected and my cordless usb mouse did not work. This was easy to repair with adding a few entries in txtsetup.sif and adding the missing drivers.

Finally I got a fine Ram booting iso with some additional programs (not needing registry entries) and last but not least network support. But I must confess that I found no clean way to implement networking. After some hours of building and testing I gave up and copied half a ton of files over to Inf, System32 and Drivers from a Small Iso I made some time ago with Batcher and PeBuilder. Way to much not needed files: Shame on me!
The size of WinBuilder_Ram.iso went up to 55,5 MB (ca. 10 Nic's integrated).

I'm glad to have discovered this forum. I like the good spirit and the engagement of competent people driving the progress.

philon

#2 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:32 PM

Welcome to the board philon.

It was really hard to find the place where the custom wallpaper can be defined.

I would agree to having this as a seperate Option by itself.

On the Qemu page or on the build iso page a button "Test iso now" or "Make new iso and test with Qemu" would be helpful when some changes are made to an already existing Target folder "manually".

I had a similar user friendly suggestion in the past similar to this.
If you make some changes to the Target folder you can create a New ISO by just right cliking the left side where it says [Build] Create ISO and selecting "Run this Script" or you can use the "Create a new ISO file" Button in the Script. And to the newly created ISO within qemu, just right cliking the left side where it says [Tools] Run ISO in Qemu and selecting "Run this Script"

Is there away to get nicer icons for the documents folder and for cmd files?

Can you post a screenshot of the files you refer to.

When booting from cd my via sata hd was not visible as expected and my cordless usb mouse did not work. This was easy to repair with adding a few entries in txtsetup.sif and adding the missing drivers.

Can you explain this in more detail how you added USB support.

Finally I got a fine Ram booting iso with some additional programs (not needing registry entries) and last but not least network support. But I must confess that I found no clean way to implement networking. After some hours of building and testing I gave up and copied half a ton of files over to Inf, System32 and Drivers from a Small Iso I made some time ago with Batcher and PeBuilder. Way to much not needed files: Shame on me!

:P Atleast it works for you.

#3 Alexei

Alexei

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:56 PM

...After some hours of building and testing I gave up and copied half a ton of files over to Inf, System32 and Drivers from a Small Iso I made some time ago with Batcher and PeBuilder. Way to much not needed files: Shame on me!
philon

I would be interested in what files and reg. entries you copied. It would save me some time as I'm going to implement networking :P
:P
Alexei

#4 philon

philon

• Advanced user
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:30 PM

@TheHive

Can you explain this in more detail how you added USB support.

To add support for my cordless usb mouse I looked at the txtsetup.sif of a BartPe build I made some time ago with mouse working and added the relevant lines to the txtsetup.sif of my WinBuilder build. Also took care that the needed drivers and dll's mentioned in txtsetup.sif are in place. Here is the mouse_txtsetup.sif.
[SourceDisksFiles]

hidusb.sys   = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,3,,1,4

[HardwareIdsDatabase]

USB\Class_03&SubClass_01&Prot_02 = "hidusb"

USB\Class_03&SubClass_01 = "hidusb"

USB\Class_03 = "hidusb"

[Map.Mouse]

USB	  = "USB PS2 MOUSE"

[Map.Keyboard]

USB	  = "USB KEYBOARD"

[InputDevicesSupport.Load]

hidusb   = hidusb.sys

[files.hidusb]

hidusb.sys,4

[files.usbohci]

hid.dll,2

hidclass.sys,4

hidparse.sys,4

[files.usbehci]

hid.dll,2

hidclass.sys,4

hidparse.sys,4

[files.usbuhci]

hid.dll,2

hidclass.sys,4

hidparse.sys,4

[Keyboard]

STANDARD = "XT-, AT- oder erweiterte Tastatur (83-104 Tasten)",files.i8042,i8042prt

kbdhid   = "USB-Tastatur",files.kbdhid,kbdhid

USB	  = "USB-Tastatur",files.kbdhid,kbdhid

[InputDevicesSupport]

hidusb   = "HID-Parser",files.hidusb,hidusb

usbstor  = "USB-Speicherklassentreiber",files.usbstor,usbstor

usbccgp  = "USB Generic Parent Driver",files.usbccgp,usbccgp

[Mouse]

mouhid = "USB-Maus",files.mouhid,mouhid

USB = "USB-Maus",files.mouhid,mouhid

You can just attach the files, not necessary to insert.

philon

#5 philon

philon

• Advanced user
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:41 PM

If you make some changes to the Target folder you can create a New ISO by just right cliking the left side where it says [Build] Create ISO and selecting "Run this Script" or you can use the "Create a new ISO file" Button in the Script. And to the newly created ISO within qemu, just right cliking the left side where it says [Tools] Run ISO in Qemu and selecting "Run this Script"

Thanks for pointing me to the right click menu. Saves me lot of clicks!

philon

#6 philon

philon

• Advanced user
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:58 PM

I would be interested in what files and reg. entries you copied. It would save me some time as I'm going to implement networking :P
:P
Alexei

The list of files is too long to be posted here. PM me and I will send you the lists via email.
Btw. networking works here without additional registry entries. :P

philon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users