#1 jkemp

jkemp
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:13 PM

Hi,

What a great program! Thank you for sharing your work.

I would like to ask a question of the imDisk community here. Is there a how-to or wiki somewhere?

I would like to setup two ram drives on my system. The first ram disk would need to load a .img file about 393MB maybe 512mb in size using drive letter R:. The second should be about 256MB in size using drive letter T: for the TEMP environment variables. i.e. TEMP, TMP, Temporary Internet Files.

I move into hotzones and need to quickly rid my system of content that could be use to persecute me and others. If I'm able, I power off and zap the documents and trace evidence.

What my aim here is to load PoratableFirefox, XB Browser, OpenOfficePortable, JavaPortalizer [SP?] and VLCPortable from the first virtual disk and the environment variables on the second. Can someone give me a play by play of what to do, that a non programmer could under stand? I have set the TMP environment variable in the ADVANCE section of SYSTEM from the Control Panel XP PRO to point to the T:\ drive.

How to load ram drive image of these programs but not save the documents I create, those are uploaded via satellite. I also need to know how to automatically save or backup the image files to remote location as settings change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

jkemp

P.S. I haven't found a donate button in the program. I would like to contribute to your work. Where or how can i do this?

Thank you.

#2 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12701 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:20 PM

Hi,

I would like to ask a question of the imDisk community here. Is there a how-to or wiki somewhere?

I would like to setup two ram drives on my system. The first ram disk would need to load a .img file about 393MB maybe 512mb in size using drive letter R:. The second should be about 256MB in size using drive letter T: for the TEMP environment variables. i.e. TEMP, TMP, Temporary Internet Files.

I move into hotzones and need to quickly rid my system of content that could be use to persecute me and others. If I'm able, I power off and zap the documents and trace evidence.

What my aim here is to load PoratableFirefox, XB Browser, OpenOfficePortable, JavaPortalizer [SP?] and VLCPortable from the first virtual disk and the environment variables on the second. Can someone give me a play by play of what to do, that a non programmer could under stand? I have set the TMP environment variable in the ADVANCE section of SYSTEM from the Control Panel XP PRO to point to the T:\ drive.

How to load ram drive image of these programs but not save the documents I create, those are uploaded via satellite. I also need to know how to automatically save or backup the image files to remote location as settings change.

jkemp

P.S. I haven't found a donate button in the program. I would like to contribute to your work. Where or how can i do this?

Thank you.

Hi, jkemp

First a 'Welcome to our board!

Second, (I'm sorry) I cannot give you an answer immediatelly. The idea is unknown for me.
But I'll do some conisiderations ...
(As a newbie, maybe you do not know me. But if I post to think about something, I'm interested and do something ...)

Maybe the idea is also strange for other board members.
So, if you do not get a satisfying answer, bump your post!

Currently all of us work in this side 'to help the community, not to earn money'

#3 jkemp

jkemp
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:28 PM

Hi, jkemp

First a 'Welcome to our board!

Second, (I'm sorry) I cannot give you an answer immediatelly. The idea is unknown for me.
But I'll do some conisiderations ...
(As a newbie, maybe you do not know me. But if I post to think about something, I'm interested and do something ...)

Maybe the idea is also strange for other board members.
So, if you do not get a satisfying answer, bump your post!

Currently all of us work in this side 'to help the community, not to earn money'

Hi psc,

Thanks for welcome.

Yup, it's kinda strange what I need it for, but once setup, (I think it can be setup, I'm just confused where to start) maybe I can issue other systems to local citizen journalist to document their surroundings. We just have to be careful, even some of the people working for NGO's are dangerous. Everyone is protecting their interest these days.

All the satellite uplinks I have figured out. What I need to know is how to get the RAM drives to load and save automatically. We want the system started with ImDisk setting up the drives, then load the images. The desktop icons are already created. If I or others need to clear fast we can just remove the battery and every thing is gone.

I read some of the messages here and I can tell most people posting here are developers and programmers. So some of the messages read cryptic to me. Is there a script I can run to enter the settings to load a image file automatically? Is there some code I could copy that includes an explanation how to copy, i.e. what kind of file to create and what to use creating it, and where to save it, or enter the data? I'm not good at entering registry settings. I can do it if all the details and procedures are listed.

Thanks for any help,

James

#4 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:01 PM

Basically you need to issue a sequence of command lines.

You need to study and experiment a bit with the numerous Imdisk command line options, though a bit cryptic they all have a "logic" that is rather easy to master.

Once you got the right sequence of commands, you can put them together in a batch file to automate them, not understanding fully what you are trying to achieve it is a bit difficult for me to help you (with the little I know about Imdisk and batches).

Why having TWO ramdisks? :cheers:

"Standard" command for IMDISK:
imdisk -a -t vm -s 10M -S 512 -o rw -p "/fs:FAT /q /y" -m K:
The above will create a 10 Megabytes RAMDISK formatted as FAT(16).
The "-S 512" and "-o rw" are actually not needed as they are the default values.

About the /y switch check this:
http://www.boot-land...ated-t3402.html

jaclaz

P.S.: simplest thing is to open a command prompt and run in it:
imdisk /? > C:\IMDISK_H.TXT
and opening the resulting file C:\IMDISK_H.TXT with notepad and print it, in order to have all options explained and available to start experimenting

#5 jkemp

jkemp
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:10 PM

Basically you need to issue a sequence of command lines.

You need to study and experiment a bit with the numerous Imdisk command line options, though a bit cryptic they all have a "logic" that is rather easy to master.

Once you got the right sequence of commands, you can put them together in a batch file to automate them, not understanding fully what you are trying to achieve it is a bit difficult for me to help you (with the little I know about Imdisk and batches).

Why having TWO ramdisks? :cheers:

"Standard" command for IMDISK:

imdisk -a -t vm -s 10M -S 512 -o rw -p "/fs:FAT /q /y" -m K:
The above will create a 10 Megabytes RAMDISK formatted as FAT(16).
The "-S 512" and "-o rw" are actually not needed as they are the default values.

About the /y switch check this:
http://www.boot-land...ated-t3402.html

jaclaz

P.S.: simplest thing is to open a command prompt and run in it:
imdisk /? > C:\IMDISK_H.TXT
and opening the resulting file C:\IMDISK_H.TXT with notepad and print it, in order to have all options explained and available to start experimenting

Hi, jaclaz

First, Thanks for the reply.

Your right, I've been trying to move fast and need to understand what I'm trying to do, especially since this is about security.

The reason for the two ram disks is I want a separate environment for the TEMP Variables. I probably don't really need two, I want to ensure no other programs write to the hard drive and leave traces. I could easily use one ram drive for this, but there is the possibility of the drive with the documents fills up and I loose data. By keeping the TEMP variable environment separate at least the main ram drive won't crash or something.

That help file was exactly what I need. I tried running imDisk from the prompt but I couldn't read it. It would display the end of the file. I tried /p | more and everything else I new.

I'll tinker around with the switches and see what happens. It would be nice to have radio buttons in the interface to select whether to start at system boot and load image file automatically. If those radio buttons where in the screen where you create the disk that would put what is a great program up at the top as far as functionality and usability for non technical users. Those buttons would use the info from the mount new disk screen, create the registry entries needed to start and load the image file automatically.

James

#6 jkemp

jkemp
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:16 PM

Hi, jaclaz

I ran the command for the help file but it keeps creating a blank imdisk_h.txt file. any suggestions?

James

#7 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:56 PM

You are right, sorry :cheers:, I forgot that imdisk use the "other" output (standard error) as output for the help command.

Use this one (just tested to make sure):
imdisk /? 2> C:\imdisk_H.txt

jaclaz

#8 jkemp

jkemp
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:35 AM

You are right, sorry :cheers:, I forgot that imdisk use the "other" output (standard error) as output for the help command.

Use this one (just tested to make sure):

imdisk /? 2> C:\imdisk_H.txt

jaclaz

Yup, that got it.

Thanks for the follow up,

jkemp

#9 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1366 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

No, but beside the various posts here there is also an interesting thread going in the 911-CD forum about ImDisk:
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=19711

A couple of registry settings would make ImDisk load a RAM-disk at boot-time and load it with an existing disk image file with the contents you want. However, as it is right now the only documentation for that is this forum and the mentioned thread in the 911-CD forum.

I would think that a user interface for the registry settings would be useful in cases like yours. The problem right now is that I don't have enough time to work with this for a couple of months but this is a thing I certainly would like to do as the next feature to introduce. I have missed such a user interface myself sometimes becuase it could be quite tricky to get everything right by directly editing the registry settings.

Thank you.

I appreciate all kind of support for this project (and other projects), for example improvements suggestions, "code donation" or money donations. I don't have any donation instructions yet in the program or on my website, but I have a PayPal account on my e-mail adress (on my website).

Thank you for using ImDisk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users