#1 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:27 AM

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could tell me what i'm doing wrong ... i downloaded WinBuilder 0.70 and played with that for a while but it was horrible compared to 0.72. I was always getting at least 20 or so errors -- I tried for a few hours with 0.70 before giving up. Then i thought 0.72 might be better, and it was completely better. My very first build booted 95% correctly and it was great, i thought, all i need to do now is tinker. And i got no errors in the log. I was very happy with this.

So i made a few changes, ran the script again and i got the same error i was getting with the 0.70 build --- 'The entry "ntkrnlmp.exe" in the [SourceDisksFiles] section of the INF file is corrupt or missing. .... Setup can't continue ... blah blah " ... i'm clearing the temp folder before running the scripts, but the same error keeps coming up. Its getting very very very frustrating seeing that message when i know that i can get much further past that.

Hopefully this is a common thing to see when using WinBuilder and hopefully there is an easy solution !!

My only option at present is to try again from scratch, ie, download the entire project folder so its all new, and redo my first attempt but i'm hoping someone can poitn me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

#2 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:42 AM

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could tell me what i'm doing wrong ... i downloaded WinBuilder 0.70 and played with that for a while but it was horrible compared to 0.72. I was always getting at least 20 or so errors -- I tried for a few hours with 0.70 before giving up. Then i thought 0.72 might be better, and it was completely better. My very first build booted 95% correctly and it was great, i thought, all i need to do now is tinker. And i got no errors in the log. I was very happy with this.

So i made a few changes, ran the script again and i got the same error i was getting with the 0.70 build --- 'The entry "ntkrnlmp.exe" in the [SourceDisksFiles] section of the INF file is corrupt or missing. .... Setup can't continue ... blah blah " ... i'm clearing the temp folder before running the scripts, but the same error keeps coming up. Its getting very very very frustrating seeing that message when i know that i can get much further past that.

Hopefully this is a common thing to see when using WinBuilder and hopefully there is an easy solution !!

My only option at present is to try again from scratch, ie, download the entire project folder so its all new, and redo my first attempt but i'm hoping someone can poitn me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

We need some more information:
  • Which project are you trying to build
  • What is OS / language of your host
  • What is OS / language of your source CD
  • Please post the log
Peter

#3 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:34 PM

We need some more information:

• Which project are you trying to build
  • What is OS / language of your host
  • What is OS / language of your source CD
  • Please post the log
Peter

Oops!

It would help you to give you this info beforehand, sorry for wasting your time posting what must be a stock standard reply.

OK, i'm trying to build a NativePE project, i'm on an English language host computer using an English language source CD (WinXP Pro SP2 with no updates).

i've attached a RAR of the log file. This is the build that keeps giving me the error i reported in the 1st post.

More info: I've actually got a build working, which was the one i did before this one, and the weird thing is (for me) is that this one is basically the same but i get the error message i've been getting lots of times. Shall i post a screenshot of it?

Cheers for any and all help. This is a great project. The working build i've got automatically connects to the internet via the VMware bridged virtual networking gizmo system, and this is really stupendous. My unattended boot DVD just became more awesomer thanks to NativePE. Cheers to all involved.

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.rar   122.89KB   136 downloads

#4 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:22 PM

Oops!

It would help you to give you this info beforehand, sorry for wasting your time posting what must be a stock standard reply.

OK, i'm trying to build a NativePE project, i'm on an English language host computer using an English language source CD (WinXP Pro SP2 with no updates).

i've attached a RAR of the log file. This is the build that keeps giving me the error i reported in the 1st post.

More info: I've actually got a build working, which was the one i did before this one, and the weird thing is (for me) is that this one is basically the same but i get the error message i've been getting lots of times. Shall i post a screenshot of it?

Cheers for any and all help. This is a great project. The working build i've got automatically connects to the internet via the VMware bridged virtual networking gizmo system, and this is really stupendous. My unattended boot DVD just became more awesomer thanks to NativePE. Cheers to all involved.

A bit I have the opinion that your source CD sp2 is not 'proof'.

Can you do a test:

Install nativeEx_barebone. How to do you can find here.

If the troubles still exist, I'm sure that it depends on your source CD.
And possibly we can find the reason.

If not, there is some work for thunn ...

Peter

#5 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:16 PM

A bit I have the opinion that your source CD sp2 is not 'proof'.

Can you do a test:

Install nativeEx_barebone. How to do you can find here.

If the troubles still exist, I'm sure that it depends on your source CD.
And possibly we can find the reason.

If not, there is some work for thunn ...

Peter

Hi Peter,

I will try NativeEx barebones and report back.

I also should report i have tried another 4 or 5 times to get a working build, but each time i get that error. Thanks for taking the time to help.

#6 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:32 AM

Hey there,

I have confirmed that nativeEx_barebone works - ie it gets past the blue screen and starts to load the GUI. It doesn't do hardly anything i want it to compared to the NativePE build i have got working, but it DOES boot to the desktop and so it gets past the error i keep seeing with all the other projects. I also tried LiveXP in the meantime as well and i keep getting that darn message.

Where do i go from here, what else can i try? Thanks for any help.

#7 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4167 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:08 AM

Suggestion:
Manually
delete theTarget folder within Winbuilder folder
delete the the ISO
delete probably the Temp contents

Then try to rebuild.

#8 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:30 AM

Hey there,

I have confirmed that nativeEx_barebone works - ie it gets past the blue screen and starts to load the GUI. It doesn't do hardly anything i want it to compared to the NativePE build i have got working, but it DOES boot to the desktop and so it gets past the error i keep seeing with all the other projects. I also tried LiveXP in the meantime as well and i keep getting that darn message.

Where do i go from here, what else can i try? Thanks for any help.

Thanks!

That proof that your source CD is ok.

Now start with a minimum nativePE configuration. If that works, start apps ...

If it does not work there are much less items to be searched for the troubles.

It is also good, like TheHive suggested, to delete workbench, temp etc. folders.

Peter

BTW: First remove Ressource Hacker. It plays around with ntoskrnl

#9 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:02 PM

Thanks!

That proof that your source CD is ok.

Now start with a minimum nativePE configuration. If that works, start apps ...

BTW: First remove Ressource Hacker. It plays around with ntoskrnl

Hey there Peter,

Thanks for all this help, i'm making great strides with using WinBuilder, and this is definitely because i'm finally letting WinBuilder do my ISOs for me. i was doing them manually because i thought i knew enough about Boot CDs to be able to skip this step. Anyway, the ISO build i have works nearly perfectly, there are just a few things i could report as bugs - one is that i can't seem to set the Start Menu to be the Classic menu, i have to use a registry tweak as the desktop loads to fix this - but the main problem i have now is doing the transplanting into my DVD.

So i'm trying to get my DVD build to look exactly like my VirtualTest build ... i know where to put the i386 folder (its in the root folder) and it boots fine and the desktop loads fine - i've even got 30 or so apps loading that i've set up to work in a PE environment --- so i'm about 90% of the way there. The networking stuff works perfectly in both Virtual PC and VMware ... but the shortcuts aren't right and that's because i don't know how to integrate MODELRAM.exe --- how are the RAM disk and the shortcuts integrated into the boot process? My DVD uses CDSHELL for the boot menu and the option for NativePE chains bootsect.bin which starts booting from the i386 folder. So where does MODELRAM.exe fit in ? Is there some documentation you can point me to that will help me learn all about this step?

As usual, thanks in advance!

Soporific.

EDIT: the RAM disk is created fine, the only thing missing are the shorts and these being missing also screws up the shortcuts folder. i could live with it but it takes off some of the gloss from what i have going.

#10 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:09 PM

... but the shortcuts aren't right and that's because i don't know how to integrate MODELRAM.exe --- how are the RAM disk and the shortcuts integrated into the boot process? My DVD uses CDSHELL for the boot menu and the option for NativePE chains bootsect.bin which starts booting from the i386 folder. So where does MODELRAM.exe fit in ? Is there some documentation you can point me to that will help me learn all about this step?

If you do not run a ISO generating script, you must execute these lines before burning your DVD:
If,ExistFile,"%PreISOScript%",Run,%PreISOScript%,Process

If,ExistFile,"%PostISOScript%",Run,%PostISOScript%,Process

If,ExistFile,"%PreISOScript%",FileDelete,"%PreISOScript%"

If,ExistFile,"%PostISOScript%",FileDelete,"%PostISOScript%"
They handle besides others (project depending) the buildModel stuff.

one is that i can't seem to set the Start Menu to be the Classic menu, i have to use a registry tweak as

It can be defined in Explorer.Script.

But the Explorer shell TWEAKS and SETTINGS.script overwrites this w/o giving you a choice :cheers:

If you really need Explorer shell TWEAKS and SETTINGS.script, remove the line

RegWrite,HKLM,0x3,"Tmp_default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer","ShellState","24",...

Peter

#11 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:37 PM

If you do not run a ISO generating script, you must execute these lines before burning your DVD:

If,ExistFile,"%PreISOScript%",Run,%PreISOScript%,Process

If,ExistFile,"%PostISOScript%",Run,%PostISOScript%,Process

If,ExistFile,"%PreISOScript%",FileDelete,"%PreISOScript%"

If,ExistFile,"%PostISOScript%",FileDelete,"%PostISOScript%"
They handle besides others (project depending) the buildModel stuff.

It can be defined in Explorer.Script.

But the Explorer shell TWEAKS and SETTINGS.script overwrites this w/o giving you a choice :cheers:

If you really need Explorer shell TWEAKS and SETTINGS.script, remove the line

Peter

Hmmm, i wish i knew why that worked PERFECTLY !!! Yay !!! I'm not complaining, but where can i see documentation !!

Thanks again. Once i get this working perfectly how i want it, i'll post the ppApps generator program that i'm using (it was created by a friend and we both use it for unattended DVDs) --- what this does is allow the USER to create 7-Zip packages with a simple INI file to tell the generator what to do, and it will install the app into the PE environment. This is done independently of the PE build, so you can just add it in. I've got 30 programs that install, all in 7-Zip packs to save space. Is there already something like this out there?

Thanks again for that solution! The shorts are all exactly where they should be. it looks wonderful!

#12 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4167 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:43 AM

I dont think we have anything like that here at the moment. But it can be released here in the "Submit your program " if you want. Im sure it will be very usefull. Will look forward to the 7-Zip packages.

#13 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:30 AM

I dont think we have anything like that here at the moment. But it can be released here in the "Submit your program " if you want. Im sure it will be very usefull. Will look forward to the 7-Zip packages.

Hmmm, well, it seems i spoke too soon. Because i was not really doing the build properly, somehow, i was able to use my Apps shortcut generator to load all the apps into the start menu, but now i've got the build working as it should, i've just discovered my program doesn't work anymore. It still finds all the programs on the DVD, but the shorts generation must be screwed up because they don't appear in the Start Menu, and this is the whole idea. I could cheat and just make up a SFX of all the programs i've currently got and use that for the shorts, but this is highly inelegant as i want to just drop new apps in as i find them / need them, and its going to suck having to remake the SFX --- can you guys see what's happening here? It worked when i wasn't setting the shorts properly, and now that i've got it right, my program doesn't work. Is this an easy fix? I hope so!

The beauty of the program is that the same app can then also be used in an actual OS installation - meaning each app in the ppApps menu can be used for both PE purposes and also OS ones. Very efficient. I'll see if i can't work out this problem myself, and i'll post the link in the Submit program thing anyway if i can't get it working and maybe we can collectively do it. I've still gotta get permission from the author of the proggie if its ok to share, but i think it will be cool.

If we can work out how to avoid this problem, you guys won't have to write as many scripts to 'integrate' new apps -- the tricky ones like Opera et al will probably still need scripts, but lets eliminate the need to have to make a separate script for easy apps that we want in our PE builds. Or am i off my rocker about all this? Let me know!

Sop.

#14 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:21 AM

Maybe completely "off topic", but apart from the satisfaction of doing whatever one likes, I do not see why we should be forced to add shortcuts to the start menu.

I mean, we are not necessarily "bound" to Explorer as Shell, and anyway one could use (just an example) a separate "Start Menu" for your SFX apps, like pstart:
http://www.pegtop.net/start/

jaclaz

#15 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:57 AM

I'm not complaining, but where can i see documentation !!

Read what is written on the buildModel GUI.
If that is not enough, click the Help button.

Peter

#16 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:02 AM

It still finds all the programs on the DVD, but the shorts generation must be screwed up because they don't appear in the Start Menu, and this is the whole idea.

Is it possible that there is a language issue?
If you use a non-English source CD, maybe your app builder puts the shortcuts in English path names.

Check your Documents and Settings in the PE

Peter

#17 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE (soporific @ Nov 24 20AM07, 08:30 )
It still finds all the programs on the DVD, but the shorts generation must be screwed up because they don't appear in the Start Menu, and this is the whole idea.

Maybe just generating shortcuts to a wrong drive letter?

#18 soporific

soporific

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:50 AM

Maybe just generating shortcuts to a wrong drive letter?

Why couldn't you have posted earlier!! :cheers:

I just assumed my friend HADN'T hard-coded the RAM drive !! D'OH ... i just assumed, i mean, its not hard to test for it and set the right letter. I assume it is anyway. I'm going over and kicking his butt as soon as ... and the reason is i just spent 3 hours coding to get around the fact the generator wasn't working.

Anyway, when i saw your post, i thought i may as well check. So, the generator works if you set your RAM drive to B:

I'll post it soonish ... oh, and i luurve the end result!!! It's nearly like one of those Boot Linux CDs except this is Windows XP! I've tried to put the most necessary things in the build so you can function just like the OS was actually installed.

#19 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:24 PM

I just assumed my friend HADN'T hard-coded the RAM drive !! D'OH ... i just assumed, i mean, its not hard to test for it and set the right letter. I assume it is anyway. I'm going over and kicking his butt as soon as ... and the reason is i just spent 3 hours coding to get around the fact the generator wasn't working.

You see now that points #f1. to #f4. in "Common Sense Advice" have their merits:
http://www.boot-land...?act=boardrules

:cheers:

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users