• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:17 PM

For the dependency database, i'm about to create, which is intended as much for creating new scripts, as for verifying and fixing old scripts, i'm still looking for some community input.

This is your last chance, so use it! :cheers:

The one question still open, is the database file format to use.

I would like it to be something, that can be used by other developers as well.

So far i'm juggeling with 3 solutions.
- MySQL database (fastest solution)
- comma seperated list (easy to use, human readable)
- ini file (can be used from WB, human readable)

-------------------------------------

For later creating the core out of the database, i will need a list of dependency roots.
In applications that is easy, it's always the exe(s).
For XP i have identified the following dependency root file groups. If i overlooked one, please post.
- exe files
- msc files
- cpl files
- setupldr.bin
- services

:cheers:

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:14 PM

From the little I know about databases and the kind of information you want to put on it, and at least for the use I would like the database to have, you cannot use .ini or .csv files.

Check:
http://www.boot-land...?...=3422&st=20
(and links therein)

We need a relational database of some kind, check Draugen suggestion in the original post on the old board.

jaclaz

#3 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:55 PM

jaclaz, could you please always post your point with the 'proof', not just the link. Especialy if the links lead to threads with more links.
I neighter have the time, nor the intention to read half the internet, just to figure out, what your point exactly is.
Think readers digest here! :cheers:

#4 smiley

smiley

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 905 posts
  •  
    Greece

Posted 11 November 2007 - 04:52 PM

:cheers: MedEvil, your idea is perfect!

But yet I didn't understand how this database is going to be used.

• If it's going to be a depedency-dictionary for the develpers, in order to help them writing scripts, it should be a MySQL databese. It will be fast, small and easy shareable.
  • If you think this should be a library of information used directly by winbuilder it shoud be written in a ini style file. For example, if a app script requires X.dll, in will run the section in the library that will copy it and write any registy values that it needs.
So how do you think it will be used?

#5 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:11 PM

@Medevil
You should be more patient with us "Admins" :cheers:

I pointed you to the old thread simply because at the time you dismissed my proposal of a dependency database with this:

@jaclaz
There exist a database, like the one you're looking for.
It's made by M$ itself and is called XP embedded.

A few posts later, here:
http://www.boot-land...?...=2690&st=22
I tried to describe how I would like it to work.

You asked for suggestions, I had already given mine, I thought you could not remember or could not find them, I told you where they were. :cheers:

jaclaz

#6 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:33 PM

@Medevil
You should be more patient with us "Admins" :cheers:

Will try to better myself! :cheers:

I pointed you to the old thread simply because at the time you dismissed my proposal of a dependency database with this:

@jaclaz
There exist a database, like the one you're looking for.
It's made by M$ itself and is called XP embedded.

Yes i remember this and the database does exist. However, after trying it, i have to say that it is highly confusing for me, since it doesn't work by file but by components.
So to really use it, i would first need to learn what component includes exactly what ....

A few posts later, here:
http://www.boot-land...?...=2690&st=22
I tried to describe how I would like it to work.

You asked for suggestions, I had already given mine, I thought you could not remember or could not find them, I told you where they were. :cheers:

Yes i remember, but excel sheets are definitly out of the question, since i don't even have excel, much less know how to write an excel sheet out of a custom program.

#7 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:49 PM

But yet I didn't understand how this database is going to be used.

• If it's going to be a depedency-dictionary for the develpers, in order to help them writing scripts, it should be a MySQL databese. It will be fast, small and easy shareable.
  • If you think this should be a library of information used directly by winbuilder it shoud be written in a ini style file. For example, if a app script requires X.dll, in will run the section in the library that will copy it and write any registy values that it needs.
So how do you think it will be used?

The first instance of the dependency database, will be a 'raw' one.
It will simply list all the Dependencies and accessed RegKeys for each file. Nothing more, nothing less.
The dependencies should be perfect enough, to be used this way, for whatever.
RegKey database on the other hand, will for sure not be good for anything but finding missing keys, since only the keys, the file writes itself, will contain values, the keys it only reads, will not contain values.
So the registry database will most likely need some comunity effort, before being usable for plug and play.

#8 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10565 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:21 AM

Please use MySQL.

wb can learn to read MySQL databases if needed but more important is that this format is very easy to handle in web platforms and be used for nearly anything with a little bit of php.

People would be able to submit online their contributions and contribute for a single database.

------

From mySQL it will be easier to port anything needed to wb scripts or anything else with php.

#9 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:06 AM

So Nuno, you would want to have dependencies and RegKeys in one Database?

#10 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 03:50 PM

Had just a bright :cheers: , after the database of the registry keys is created, the values of the keys can actually get riped from a default XP install.
That should give us a just as perfect RegKey database, as the dependency one.
This would only leave some PE specific settings to be changed by hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users