• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#51 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:01 PM

I use one of the Betas as source, can this be the problem?

Probably.

I use RC1, and 'BSOD'ed to start with. The names of some Files and Folders in boot.wim and install.wim actually contain version numbers, and the script for copying the files to the Target also uses file- and folder-names containing the RTM-version numbers. (... I'm not sure why wild-cards aren't used.)

The work-around, is to select the 'build: file-copy' script, and choose "full" file-copy. Then the entire boot.wim (using wild-card '*.*') is copied to the Target, rather than the selective files copied by "standard" file-copy.

#52 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:38 PM

The work-around, is to select the 'build: file-copy' script, and choose "full" file-copy. Then the entire boot.wim (using wild-card '*.*') is copied to the Target, rather than the selective files copied by "standard" file-copy.

Thanks for this very helpful tip, will try it.

:cheers:

#53 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:51 PM

If i use Litestep as shell, i get errors about . . . missing module (mzscript1.0.1.dll)?

The error occurs only under Austerity-Theme (only if also EcyStep-Theme is in bundle) and only if you right-click on the clock/date in the systray: that feature (clock/time label on right-click) is not available in VistaPE and furthermore the module really exists in its default directory... :cheers:

However using the last "1-LiteStep.script" downloadable from Beta server and enabling "Allow host machine's Regional Date and Time Format proper displaying in Austerity-Theme" then that error will disappear... :cheers:

#54 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:28 PM

The tip worked great! Well, at least i could boot into VistaPE and check it out a bit. Still having tons of problems when i use my Vista Source, but don't know if this is because of my version or because of not enough ram or because i use standart build.
Anyway the wholePE reacts very slugish and most applications can't even be started, though the taskmanager says that over 100MB ram are still free. :cheers:

btw. Where can i find that nice Vista start screen? Is it part of some file?

#55 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:59 AM

MedEvil
VistaPE working good only with final and non modified version of Windows Vista and it request 512Mb for good booting (you can try use 256, but you must disable boot.wim)

#56 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:12 AM

Thanks Nightman, for the info.

I know i can eighter build from a Vista DVD or an installed WAIK. The only difference i can see so far is that i get the explorer as a shell choice, when i build from a Vista DVD.
Are there any other differences?

Also can someone maybe tell me, what the additional WAIK is good for?
After going through the script options i saw, that i can name, in addition to the Vista source, a WAIK source.
What is this good for, i can't see any difference in the builds.

#57 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:34 PM

A few more strange things. :cheers:
I now got the VistaPE project to download Slax and was shocked.
It downloaded piece by piece 725MB, while the Slax image is only 170-200MB.
Why is everything downloaded unpacked instead of as image? Boot loader are able to load images! :cheers:

Just as interesting. How do i boot Slax and NIghtmans Linux? Grub4DOS shows no entries for them?

#58 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4171 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:34 PM

After going through the script options i saw, that i can name, in addition to the Vista source, a WAIK source.

WAIK is missing a lot. I think one is the ability to add IE and some other things that you can include if you have the Vista Source.

#59 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:09 AM

The wimmaster.script and the GUI-Image Wrapper.script use hardcoded paths to WAIK. which obviously fails, if the WAIK is installed to a non standart place.

#60 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:16 PM

However using the last "1-LiteStep.script" downloadable from Beta server and enabling "Allow host machine's Regional Date and Time Format proper displaying in Austerity-Theme" then that error will disappear... :cheers:

Tried that. Copied the "1-LiteStep.script" from v11 to v 10. Result: PEshell swapper does not even show LiteStep choice anymore! :cheers:

#61 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:57 AM

Tried that. Copied the "1-LiteStep.script" from v11 to v 10. Result: PEshell swapper does not even show LiteStep choice anymore! :cheers:

Very strange...
Personally I am using it under VistaPE 011 and under VistaPE 010 in many configurations with no problem...

Assuming that "all the rest" have been made correctly and without any additional information I can only suggest that you:

1. Use two separate folders if you want to test both 010 and 011 versions;
2. Reboot the machine;
3. Create a new folder ("WinBuilder") in "C:\";
4. Copy only "WinBuilder.exe" into it (I'm using 074 version);
5. Download (through WB) only recommended scripts from server (VistaPE for 010 or Beta for 011);
6. Download (manually from above link or through WinBuilder > Beta server selecting only it) the available version of LiteStep script (02.12.2007);
7. Copy or replace the script in "C:\WinBuilder\Projects\VistaPE(-Beta)\Shell";
8. Select at least the first two options in LS script pane (please, see the screenshot).

I'm sure that it must work... :cheers:

Attached Thumbnails

• ls.png

#62 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:14 AM

I do have 2 different WB for the two different Vista projects, so they do not interfere with each other.

All i did was copy the LiteStep.script from Vista v11 to Vista v10, nothing more, nothing less.
I also do not get any build errors, which could explain the missing entry in PEshellswapper. :cheers:

Will see if i find a minute today to compare the old and the new script.

#63 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:52 PM

The LiteStep script from v11 uses the command AddToPeshell which seems to be unknown in VistaPE v10.
Replaced it by the command used in the v10 version.

#64 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:43 PM

The LiteStep script from v11 uses the command AddToPeshell which seems to be unknown in VistaPE v10.

No, it works in VistaPE 010 too:

"1-LiteStep.script" (02.12.2007)
"Standard-0-preconfig.script" (04.10.2007);
"Standard-1-files.script" (20.06.2007);
"Standard-2-BuilHives.script" (20.06.2007);
"Standard-3-Config.script" (05.10.2007).

I've just done an umptheenth trial just for this and the result is in the screenshot and in attached log.

I don't know if your AIK source is the problem, and I don't know if you have made at least some of previous suggestions (maybe if you attached at least a log-file it would not be a bad idea... :cheers:).

However, I think that when issues occur is better a trial with a minimal configuration as first... :cheers:

Attached Thumbnails

• 010.png

Attached Files

#65 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:07 AM

online what do you wanna proof with that screenshot?
I can set Litestep to be the main GUI as well, without problems.
The point of this discussion was that without replacing AddToPEShellSwapper, the PEShellSwapper was missing this entry.
WBError.gif

#66 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:44 AM

online what do you wanna proof with that screenshot?

I well-understand that above screenshot is a little naive, but it and most of all its related logfile means that using Vista DVD as source then VistaPE 010 can manage LiteStep 011 with no modifies.

The point of this discussion was that without replacing AddToPEShellSwapper, the PEShellSwapper was missing this entry.

Yes, this occurs in your environment, but I don't know if that is a general rule.
Probably if you posted a log-file it would be more interesting.
Maybe the problem is AIK used without Vista DVD, I don't know (who knows that?) and I'm trying to condivide about my experiences (in my system I've noticed that really using Vista DVD as source then WAIK is not strictly needed, but it significantly increase the process speed).

In my environment I use both Windows AIK and Windows Vista DVD and I confirm that LiteStep 011 works fine under VistaPE 010 without changes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users