#1 PeterLustig

PeterLustig
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:22 PM

hi all,

i'll begin my 1st post with a question :cheers: i booted vistaPE (latest build, got it 30min ago) in standard configuration (shell = vista explorer) with a vmware 2003 server configured image. vistaPE did not install the vmware-net driver (amd based nic) - and that's fine. why? because the most important feature i need is to load new drivers at runtime - when PE is already booted.

i tried it with the control panel and had no success: "...blabla... could not find module...bla...bla"

ok, so i tried it with the cmd-prompt and "drvload c:\driver\driver.inf" (path'n filenames cutted...).
again, no success: "drvload: Unable to load c:\driver\driver.inf (Error code: 0x8007007e)"

i tried it again with some other vmware drivers ,for the mouse e.g. or the svga driver... always the same.

so is it only with the vmware drivers? i couldnt try it on my proliants with hp-drivers (broadcom, intel) because i have no rebootable machine at the moment... so i hope for a theoretical feedback :cheers:

bottoms up,
my_alias ;-)

#2 booty#1

booty#1

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 285 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:41 PM

Hi.
Please post VistaPE problems and reports in the VistaPE forum as long as they are not directly related to WinBuilder bugs.

Well Vista and drivers isn't an easy chapter. I compared drvload from v008 and v10 and it looks like that the reason is a missing file: "cmiv2.dll" which can be found usually in the folder Windows\System32\AdvancedInstallers.

After adding and registering (via regsvr32) this file drvload may possibly be working again (sorry don't have the time to test it now).

booty#1

#3 PeterLustig

PeterLustig
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:09 PM

ooops, sorry for the wrong forum :-) perhaps a mod can move it...

ok so i try it tomorrow with registering the needed dll as you described. one question more: is it a problem with winbuilder / vistaPE scripts or is it a general problem when building boot images with vista? i ask because if it has to do with some basic scripting functionality i could open a bug...

i hope it can be done with this simple step by registering the dll. i used bartPE a long time with hwpnp-plugin... so all my interest was to try vistaPE/winbuilder and see a long needed feature implemented directly 1:1 :-)

#4 sanbarrow

sanbarrow

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 788 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:17 AM

This maybe related to VMware ?

to try other of the virtual nics in VMware check the vmx-file for that 2003 Test VM and look for

ethernet0.virtualDev = ...

It can be one of vlance, vmxnet, e1000

If there is no entry like this - assume
ethernet0.virtualDev = "vlance"
which means an AMD nic - oldfashioned

VistaPE should be able to work with
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

#5 PeterLustig

PeterLustig
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:23 AM

well, the driver (vmxnet) seems to be the right one, because the hardware wizard tell me that he found a driver for the unknown ethernet controller. i mounted the vmware-tools iso-image and pointed the search for driver location directly to the net-subfolder.

the message is always "found driver for.... amd ethernet blabla... module can not be loaded". ok, last but not least i'll try to copy the old fashioned drivers to ramdisk and see what happen :-)

#6 booty#1

booty#1

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 285 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:12 AM

ok so i try it tomorrow with registering the needed dll as you described. one question more: is it a problem with winbuilder / vistaPE scripts or is it a general problem when building boot images with vista? i ask because if it has to do with some basic scripting functionality i could open a bug...

From my point of view it is definetly a VistaPE problem. WinBuilder is only the executions environment - something like the command line interpreter that executes a batch file. As long as it don't crash, the gui gets unresponsive or something similar the reason is a command in one of the VistaPE scripts and therefore a VistaPE problem.

booty#1

#7 booty#1

booty#1

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 285 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:32 AM

Well Vista and drivers isn't an easy chapter. I compared drvload from v008 and v10 and it looks like that the reason is a missing file: "cmiv2.dll" which can be found usually in the folder Windows\System32\AdvancedInstallers.

Just for the records: After adding "cmiv2.dll" to "X:\Windows\system32\AdvancedInstallers" drvload.exe works.
Registering is not needed as the necessary keys & values are already present.

booty#1

#8 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 October 2007 - 11:37 AM

Moved to VistaPE. :cheers:

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic