3 replies to this topic

#1 chillmagnet

chillmagnet
  • Deactivated
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:43 AM

Hey guys and girls, I'm new to the site. I was wondering if anyone could help me. I cannot start windows b/c of a missing or corrupt file Hal.dll (full line reads: <windows root> system32:\hal.dll) I cannot boot in safe mode or command prompt mode. I have a CD called pcbeginner and it has help me discover that the file is still on my comp. Oh and to make things a little intresting I do not have my windows instillation CD.

My questions are as follows:
1. How can I get this file back on my computer?
2. Is there a way for me to create a Windows XP boot CD(NOT diskette)

-Thanks for your help!

#2 DaemonForce

DaemonForce

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:[=D=] has been gone for ages along with .NET 1.0. I may bring it back depending on the amazing people here.
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:09 AM

Hey guys and girls, I'm new to the site.

Y helo thar! :cheers:

I cannot start windows b/c of a missing or corrupt file Hal.dll

K. :cheers:

I have a CD called pcbeginner and it has help me discover that the file is still on my comp.

oBJeCTioN! :cheers:

There is a serious contradiction here. You are using Windows XP(an NT5 OS) as your sole operation system. The NT5 series has horribly inaccurate error messages that can say one thing is missing when the file exists and an associated file or more(usually a dependency) is missing from your OS. You need to figure out what's really on your system.

Oh and to make things a little intresting I do not have my windows instillation CD.

This may be a problem too. Do you have a restore disc that your OEM vendor gave you? By law you are to acquire it upon request.

My questions are as follows:
1. How can I get this file back on my computer?

Check dependencies.
BOOTVID.DLL
HAL.DLL
KDCOM.DLL
NTOSKRNL.EXE
are all linked to each other. These files must be called and coexist within the same directory.

2. Is there a way for me to create a Windows XP boot CD(NOT diskette)

It's possible to grab the Windows XP OPK for a repair aid. But you will need to modify it in order to make it a feasible solution.

#3 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 14 October 2007 - 03:42 AM

Hey guys and girls, I'm new to the site. I was wondering if anyone could help me. I cannot start windows b/c of a missing or corrupt file Hal.dll (full line reads: <windows root> system32:\hal.dll) I cannot boot in safe mode or command prompt mode.

You can replace the HAL files with my OfflineSysPrep app, available as a WB script or BartPE plugin:

http://galapo.boot-l...eSysPrep.script
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=19397

You either have the option for the program to automatically apply to the partition/drive the HAL detected under PE, or manual set it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Galapo.

#4 tony1343

tony1343
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Japan

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:19 PM

Are you using dual boot system And Get this erorr after new os install?

Use the Bootcfg utility in the Recovery Console to correct the Boot.ini file: 1. Use the Windows XP CD-ROM to start your computer.
2. When you receive the message to press R to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console, press the R key.
3. Select the Windows installation that you want, and then type the administrator password when prompted.
4. Type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER.
5. When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
[Type Y in response to this message.]

Enter Load Identifier:
[This is the name of the operating system. Type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition.]

Enter OS Load options:
[Leave this field blank, and then press ENTER].
After you perform the preceding steps, restart the computer, and then select the first item on the boot menu. This should allow Windows XP to start normally.

After Windows XP has successfully loaded, the Boot.ini can be modified to remove the incorrect entry.

or

1 .Start the computer by using your Windows XP CD-ROM. Press any key to boot from the CD.
2. After the setup files are finished loading press R to repair using Recovery Console.
3. When you are in the recovery console, select the installation to log on to (usually number 1), and then press ENTER.
4. Login to the Administrator account by typing the password for this account, and then press ENTER.
5. At the recovery console command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

For Uni-Processor systems:
expand cd-rom:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ drive:\Windows\system32
For Multi-Processor systems:
expand cd-rom:\i386\ntkrnlmp.ex_ drive:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Cd-rom is the drive letter of your CD-ROM drive, and drive is the drive letter of the hard disk on which windows is installed.
6. If you receive a prompt to overwrite the file, press Y.
7. Type exit, and press ENTER at the command prompt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users