• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:24 PM

File name: CAD-KAS PDF Reader 2.4
Description:CAD-KAS PDF Reader is a nice application that works so fine under VistaPE.

From soft32.com Review:

Editor's rating: 5 out of 5 - Excellent
Features: 5
Stability: 5
Usability: 5
Interface: 5

PDF Reader by CAD-KAS Software is a powerful tool designed to help you open, edit and print PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format) files.

The program proves to be a reliable alternative to Adobe Acrobat software, especially due to the fact that you can modify a PDF file before printing. In my opinion, this is the most important feature of this free application.

The are a lot of editing options at hand: you can add notes, free text, stamps, links using the 'Annotations/Forms' tool. The 'Text' tool allows you to add simple text, vector text, and format text. The 'Graphics' tools allow you to add shapes, lines of different colors.

Another thing I liked a lot was the fact that theres also an option for inserting pictures. After inserting pics, I could choose the aspect ration, transparency color and tolerance. I could also choose to edit it and I could insert it behind all other objects.

The program's interface is ergonomic and easy to use. You can customize it by choosing one of the six styles available. The program is available in fifteen languages among which Japanese and traditional Chinese.

Pluses: Multi-language support, the possibility to edit a PDF and print it out with the current modifications.

Drawbacks / flaws: The program may act a little bit slow when opening large files.

In conclusion: An excellent PDF reading, editing and printing program; and above all, it is free. I find it very pleasant to see that there are people out there who can create a free ultra competitive product.

Version reviewed: 2.4

PDF Reader Publisher's Description

PDF Reader is a free program to view, modify and print PDF files. It is very small, only about 2 MByte to download. You can open, view, zoom and print PDF files. You can also modify PDF files (but you can not save them in the free version). You can add, change and delete text and pictures and print it out.

Simply copy the script in "\WinBuilder\Projects\VistaPE\App\Office"

[WB072 * VistaPE-008]

Enjoy! :cheers:

Download file

Attached Thumbnails

• 7.png

#2 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:41 PM

About series:

maybe we can manage PDF documents without fr! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:cheers:

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:34 PM

The more alternatives the better! :cheers:

Can you also make available an app script version to work with vistaPE 010 and LiveXP? :cheers:

#4 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:02 PM

Can you also make available an app script version to work with vistaPE 010

Done! :cheers:

and LiveXP? :cheers:

For that you'll at least wait for 15 Latine Minutes... :cheers: :cheers:

#5 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 05:21 AM

Done!

Please, Nuno: report a kind feed-back to me...
Is it like you said? :cheers:

#6 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:04 AM

Sorry for the delay - I'm literally conecting to the web on the middle of nowhere and the weather isn't helping at all - need to get some waterproof case to pass the winter.

Had a look on the script - looks much better and I've noticed only a few details I thought you should be aware:

[process]
Echo,Processing %ProgramTitle%...
RunFromRam,%pCheckBox1%
Add_Shortcut,StartMenu,%ParentItem%
System,RefreshVars
RegHiveLoad,Tmp_software,"%HIVE_HKU%"
RegWrite,"HKLM",0x1,"Tmp_software\Classes\.pdf","","PDFreader"
RegWrite,"HKLM",0x1,"Tmp_software\Classes\.pdf","Content Type","application/pdf"
RegWrite,"HKLM",0x1,"Tmp_software\Classes\PDFreader\DefaultIcon","","X:\Program Files\PDF Reader 2\PDFreader.exe,0"
RegWrite,"HKLM",0x1,"Tmp_software\Classes\PDFreader\shell","","open"
RegWrite,"HKLM",0x1,"Tmp_software\Classes\PDFreader\shell\open\command","","""X:\Program Files\PDF Reader 2\PDFreader.exe"" ""%1"""
RegHiveUnLoad,"Tmp_software"
unpack,"PDF Reader 2"

This code can likely be replaced with:

[process]
Add_Shortcut
Associate_File,pdf
unpack,"PDF Reader 2"

Haven't tested it - but this way you strictly avoid any hardcoded values inside your script and let the api know how to deal with associations and shortcut placement (notice I avoid using "Office" as a menu item to allow the shortcut inherit the name of the folder where it is placed - on my case for example - I call this folder productivity)

--------------

"Legality Promoter" - keep it up.. :cheers:

#7 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 12:33 PM

The program has a very nice layout for an editor, but a terrible one for a reader, imo.

#8 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:50 AM

a terrible one for a reader

Yes! :cheers:

Because of scroll-function absence, right?... :cheers: :cheers:

... and me that hoped someone sooner or later found that (hide?) setting! :cheers:

Btw: however you can try this.
A no frills nice reader, extremely basic... with working scroll! :cheers:

#9 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:08 PM

Yes! :cheers:

Because of scroll-function absence, right?... :cheers: :cheers:

Yes, among a few other things. Generally i expect from a reader to have what i need for reading and not an interface cluttered with editing functions which i don't need.

Sumatra is nice and when in the next version, it will contain a search feature, it will even be usable.

#10 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:11 PM

Generally i expect from a reader to have what i need for reading and not an interface cluttered with editing functions which i don't need.

I agree. :cheers:

#11 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:22 AM

I'm literally conecting to the web on the middle of nowhere and the weather isn't helping at all - need to get some waterproof case to pass the winter.

Other considerations apart, that also seems wonderful...! :cheers:

Haven't tested it - but this way you strictly avoid any hardcoded values inside your script and let the api know how to deal with associations and shortcut placement

I've done that and results are in screenshots:

1. Program link is in StartMenu, but not in a folder...
2. File association works (double-click works), but not icon association...
3. A file (BCD) without extension gets program icon (strange thing)...

For the rest, all works fine... :cheers:

Attached Thumbnails

• 8.png
  • 7.png
  • 9.png

#12 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:15 AM

@online
Can't help you with the Api part, but for the other stuff, just look at CD-Opera script and steal what you need. :cheers:

#13 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

Can't help you with the Api part

And it's just an API issue, instead! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Really, my "original" script [008] worked very fine... then Nuno says to me to change the API... and... :cheers:

However I'll look at your CD-Opera script, thank you! :cheers:

Btw: you didn't believe it, but just yesterday for the first time in the life I've tried LiveXP (just to try it), that just contains your CD-Opera script... really incredible!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

#14 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:25 PM

Btw: you didn't believe it, but just yesterday for the first time in the life I've tried LiveXP (just to try it), that just contains your CD-Opera script... really incredible!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Glad you like it. :cheers:

And it's just an API issue, instead! :cheers: :cheers: :P

Really, my "original" script [008] worked very fine... then Nuno says to me to change the API... and... :cheers:
However I'll look at your CD-Opera script, thank you! :cheers:

:cheers: Is there nowadays a api even for writing to registry?

#15 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:42 AM

:cheers: Is there nowadays a api even for writing to registry?

Really I've unintentionally omitted a piece of story... :cheers:
I made this script with old API, then I "translated" the same script into new API (that I don't still know too well).
I kindly asked Nuno if it was correct, and Nuno kindly told me to change a couple of strings: after these changes the script doesn't behave like before.
Maybe I'll have wrong something, but program shortcut in StartMenu and program icon association are not like before.
However I'm sure new API are much better than old ones! :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users