29 replies to this topic

#1 RMaximo

RMaximo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:50 PM

I'm new here and I looked all this forum without luck.
I want to create a boot CD from XP and I want to be able to make changes on files, all I want is a ramdisk that records only file changes of the CD but a don't want to load all the CD to a ramdrive because I don't have enough ram for that.
I first tried winbuilder because I thought It would do that but I couldn't do it and that's why I'm asking for help here.

Thanks.

#2 DaemonForce

DaemonForce

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:[=D=] is online when I am.<br /><br />DaemonPE is 18% complete!<br />Latest ISO manufactured 25/09/2007
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:08 PM

I'm new here and I looked all this forum without luck.

Did you search other forums?

I want to create a boot CD from XP and I want to be able to make changes on files

If you're new to WinPE, this would be a perfect start. I started on Windows Longhorn Professional. I used Windows XP Professional SP2 to forge my functional PE and I found that it was incredibly easy to create. By default, you load some files into RAM but the environment does not allow write access to the systemdrive. This is a good protection, but an extreme one. I wanted a ramdisk but I encountered systems that didn't respond correctly to this due to lack of functioning memory. I can't use a ramdisk but I can use a filter to track changes. The upside to this is that I no longer need a ramdisk and I can export all of my variables as they are originally.

I first tried winbuilder because I thought It would do that but I couldn't do it and that's why I'm asking for help here.

Do you have a Vista install DVD?
I don't care which one.

#3 RMaximo

RMaximo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:12 PM

I looked everywhere but I didn't find anything. It's been two weeks that I'm trying to do that.
I'll try to explain exactally what I want to do. I'm a linux user and that's the only OS I have installed and there is a game that I want to play, but unfortunately It doesn't run on Linux neither thought wine or cedega and I don't intend to install windows here and that's why I want to play it on CD.
I already created the boot CD with all the game files inside “Program Files” folder and I got an ISO file with 1.8Gb and that's not the problem as I'm recording on a DVD but I can't run the entire image from RAM because I got and error, something like “file not found winpe.img” and I thing that because of it's size. Although I have 2Gb of RAM it seems not to be enough. After all those tests I set the option to run direct from CD and I was able to boot without problems, but the driver letter “X:” that I can see my Program File folder and the game folder but there is no space and the game can't save temporary files and it doesn't run. I know that doing what I want all the changes will be lost after the reboot but that's not the problem because I don't want to keep savegames I just want to play It.

About the Vista Install, I'm getting It right now but I didn't finish the download yet If you tell me that It will work on Vista that will be a very good news.

Thanks and I'm sorry for my poor english.

#4 DaemonForce

DaemonForce

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:[=D=] is online when I am.<br /><br />DaemonPE is 18% complete!<br />Latest ISO manufactured 25/09/2007
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:58 PM

I can't run the entire image from RAM because I got and error, something like “file not found winpe.img”

Are you running PE 1.x or 2.0?

“X:” that I can see my Program File folder and the game folder but there is no space and the game can't save temporary files and it doesn't run. I know that doing what I want all the changes will be lost after the reboot but that's not the problem because I don't want to keep savegames I just want to play It.

Keep in mind it's very possible that you may experience problems like hardware acceleration errors.

About the Vista Install, I'm getting It right now but I didn't finish the download yet If you tell me that It will work on Vista that will be a very good news.

I don't care about Vista. You need some of the retail Vista binaries in order for this to work though. More than likely, you can just use the Vista install CD to play your game. o_O

#5 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:21 PM

RMaximo, what you're looking for is called EWF or FBWF. Both are overlay drivers, that do the same for M$ systems what unionfs does for Linux ones.

Problem though, games have rather extreme requirements, especialy those not running under codega or wine.
If your build is based on one of our projects here, i'm rather sure, the game will also not work with those drivers.

But why you rather spend weeks to build this DVD, instead of simply installing XP into a seperate partition is beyond me!

:cheers:

#6 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:51 PM

Guys, this forum is called " Boot Land > Projects > nativeEx & LiveXP >".

@RMaximo
If you need help you must be more specific, noone here has a crystal ball, please do read the "Common Sense Advice" in Rules:
http://www.boot-land...?act=boardrules
with particular regards to point #d.

@Daemonforce
Please, assume unless the original poster did not explicitly require help for Windows PE 1.x or 2.x, that he is trying to have assistance on the argument of the forum title.

jaclaz

#7 DaemonForce

DaemonForce

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 119 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:57 PM

RMaximo, what you're looking for is called EWF or FBWF. Both are overlay drivers, that do the same for M$ systems what unionfs does for Linux ones.

The file based write filter is what I was after here. He might be able to use that to test his game. in a protected environment.

Problem though, games have rather extreme requirements, especialy those not running under codega or wine.
If your build is based on one of our projects here, i'm rather sure, the game will also not work with those drivers.

And a default Vista install disc?

But why you rather spend weeks to build this DVD, instead of simply installing XP into a seperate partition is beyond me!

He's either picky or lazy. I find these to be equally good. :cheers:

Please, assume unless the original poster did not explicitly require help for Windows PE 1.x or 2.x, that he is trying to have assistance on the argument of the forum title.

You completely missed all three points to that question. :cheers:

#8 RMaximo

RMaximo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:03 PM

Maybe I'm lazy when you are talking about winbuilder because I never head of It two weeks ago.
If I will be able to play the game, this is something that I will deal alone you will probably not be able to help me if that and I'm not expecting it to and after all there are a lot of possibilities that I can do with that and play a game is only one thing, that's why I'm asking here help for solve the common problem for all of them that's the fact of modify/save files.
Here is what I've done so far. Downloaded winbuilder 069 beta 6, downloaded all scripts of “NativePE” (that's the name it shows on the download center of winbuilder). First I tried with default options with no luck and after many tries I disabled the option on “VirtualTest”, I also checked the option “Disable 'PE InRam' boot option” and unchecked “Disable 'PE from CD' boot option” on “Create BcdwPE” script. I tried to play around with the scripts on NativePE->Drivers->VirtualFS, tried all 3 scripts there (one at time).
After all those tests some of them booted my machine, some not and the ones that worked I just couldn't save any file.
Playing the game is not the most important thing, what is important is the knowledge of creating such boot disk that I can put almost any program that will work even without any SO or Harddisk only with a CD.

Thanks.

#9 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:30 PM

Ok, should have mentioned that neighter EWF nor FBWF are designed to work with anything but FAT or NTFS.
With other filesystems like CDFS they only work partly or not at all. FBWF for instance only works with english code page on a CD fine.

#10 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10549 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:31 PM

[portuguese]
Boas noites RMaximo, bem vindo ao nosso fórum.

Se não conseguires exprimir algum termo técnico eu posso ajudar a traduzir para inglês.

----

Estive a ler o que descreves e realmente acho que seria mais fácil simplesmente instalar o windows noutra partição para usufruires de bons desempenhos na performance do jogo.

Se esta ideia não te agrada - então instalar o Windows numa máquina virtual usando o qemu em conjunto com kqemu pode ajudar bastante.

O método chama-se Seamless Virtualization e é capaz de resolver o teu dilema:
https://help.ubuntu....PUnderQemuHowTo
https://help.ubuntu....sVirtualization

Os projectos que encontras no winbuilder criam versões muito limitadas do windows com o objectivo de resgate de ficheiros e não a performance de hardware - por vezes também é bastante dificil correr um programa e um jogo será certamente mais complicado visto que irá (ab)usar a placa gráfica, precisar de directX entre outras coisas.

Mas se quiseres tentar o modo de arranque pela RAM - então recomendo que faças o download da última versão do winbuilder (072) e tentes os projectos NativeEx e VistaPE (atenção que o VistaPE agora mudou de endereço - encontras toda a informação no respectivo subfórum)

Existe também um driver chamado Diskless Angel que te deixa correr o windows (completo) a partir da RAM - mas não é gratuito.

Boa sorte!
[/portuguese]

Good night RMaximo, welcome to our forum!

If you can't express well in english some technical term then I can help translating back to english.

----

I've been reading what you describe and I really think it would be easier to simply install windows on another partition to enjoy better gameplay performance.

If this idea doesn't please you - then it's also possible to install windows on a virtual machine using qemu together with kqemu for better results.

This method is called Seamless Virtualization and might solve your dilemma:
https://help.ubuntu....PUnderQemuHowTo
https://help.ubuntu....sVirtualization

The projects you find on winbuilder will create very limited versions of windows with the goal of rescuing files and not the hardware performance - sometimes it is quite hard to make a program work let alone add support to a game which will (ab)use the graphic card, need directX amongst other details.

But if you wish to try out RAM boot - then I recommend you to download the latest version of winbuilder (072) e try the nativeEx and VistaPE projects (pay attention that VistaPE has now changed his address - you find all needed information on the respective forum).

There also a driver called Diskless Angel that will let you run windows (full) straight from RAM - but it's not free.

Good luck!

#11 RMaximo

RMaximo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:10 AM

Thanks for all the help but unfortunately It doesn't work here.
I noticed today that I was using an old version of Winbuilder, now I'm using winbuilder 072 and enabled the FBWF but no luck, in NativePE project I get errors like “Error configuring browseui.dll and shdocvw.dll” and also “Runtime error, program X:\Program Files\Firefox\firefox-s.exe” and when I click on OK button on all those errors It just reboot, If I use only the ramdrive script It runs just fine except that I cant save any file on “X:” drive.

I also checked the log after building the boot iso and I got no error and I really don't know what else to do.

Thanks.

#12 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4171 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:39 AM

I dont know if it will help but check to have enough RAM. HOw much ram are you using on the project.

#13 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10549 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:49 AM

I agree with TheHive - select a bigger value for emulating your OS or try on real hardware.

If you search on the forums you'll find a lot of related messages.

#14 RMaximo

RMaximo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:02 PM

I looked into forums and they say that, but It doesn't solve the problem here. I tried with 1Gb RAM virtual machine (vmware) and with my real computer (2GB RAM) but no change and the problem only shows when a enable FBWF, with only the ramdrive It boots just fine.
I saw a message on a forum about a similar problem and he solved with a clean source of WinXP + SP2, but as far as I know the source I'm using is clean but is in brazilian portuguese not in english, may this be the problem?

Thanks

#15 DaemonForce

DaemonForce

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 119 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:44 PM

I do not use FBWF with a ramdisk. A ramdisk has no purpose once you have FBWF enabled.

#16 RMaximo

RMaximo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:57 PM

I do not use FBWF with a ramdisk. A ramdisk has no purpose once you have FBWF enabled.

I Know that, but I didn't have anything else to try then I tried both way, but what a really wanted to say was that with ONLY ramdisk enabled It boots just fine and If I disable It and enable FBWF I got those error about "browseui.dll" and "shdocw.dll" also a runtime error with "firefox-s.exe" and a error that a didn't mentio before that says "unable to write to X:\i386\system32\netmeter.ini".

For some unknown reason to me, FBWF seems not to be working or it wouldn't complain about not writing to "X:"

Thanks.

#17 DaemonForce

DaemonForce

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 119 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:11 PM

For some unknown reason to me, FBWF seems not to be working or it wouldn't complain about not writing to "X:"

FBWF CAN write to X:\*! There is no reason for it not to. :cheers:
Try it again. This time run Dir X:\ or run notepad, open X:\ and hit properties on the context menu. How much free space is available? :cheers:

#18 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:18 PM

I saw a message on a forum about a similar problem and he solved with a clean source of WinXP + SP2, but as far as I know the source I'm using is clean but is in brazilian portuguese not in english, may this be the problem?

I do not think that it depends on brazilian portuguese.
I can do a test for you. I have xp sp2 br pt available.

If you post your log, I can try to recompile your project on my pc.

Peter

#19 RMaximo

RMaximo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:22 PM

FBWF CAN write to X:\*! There is no reason for it not to. :cheers:
Try it again. This time run Dir X:\ or run notepad, open X:\ and hit properties on the context menu. How much free space is available? :cheers:

I really wanted to do that, but I can't because after clicking on “OK” button on all those errors a mention before my computer just reboot, all I can see is the wallpaper, It doesn't even show the task bar or desktop icons.

#20 phox

phox

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 764 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:23 PM

I Know that, but I didn't have anything else to try then I tried both way, but what a really wanted to say was that with ONLY ramdisk enabled It boots just fine and If I disable It and enable FBWF I got those error about "browseui.dll" and "shdocw.dll" also a runtime error with "firefox-s.exe" and a error that a didn't mentio before that says "unable to write to X:\i386\system32\netmeter.ini".

If you are testing in qEmu increase Ram Size!

#21 DaemonForce

DaemonForce

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 119 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:29 PM

I really wanted to do that, but I can't because after clicking on “OK” button on all those errors a mention before my computer just reboot, all I can see is the wallpaper, It doesn't even show the task bar or desktop icons.

Go back in your build prior to installing any ramdisks or filters. Then add FBWF and run that dir command. :cheers:

#22 RMaximo

RMaximo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:33 AM

I do not think that it depends on brazilian portuguese.
I can do a test for you. I have xp sp2 br pt available.

If you post your log, I can try to recompile your project on my pc.

Peter

Ok, Here is my log.

Attached File  log.zip   175.77KB   234 downloads

Thanks

#23 RMaximo

RMaximo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:37 AM

Go back in your build prior to installing any ramdisks or filters. Then add FBWF and run that dir command. :cheers:

I'm not sure how can I do that. I just went to winbuilder and selected FBWF, how can I add it before ramdisk and filters?

#24 DaemonForce

DaemonForce

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 119 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:27 PM

I'm not sure how can I do that. I just went to winbuilder and selected FBWF, how can I add it before ramdisk and filters?

Just hit the green button. It adds whatever you're currently viewing to the build in your target path. :cheers:

This is the kind of hard-set design that I'm working on.

#25 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:50 PM

RMaximo, is it possible that you don't switch the Ram Drive Letter?
If you use Ramdisk driver the writable space is on drive B:
If you use FBWF the writable space is on drive X:

If you don't switch the ram drive letter, you have with FBWF your writable space on X: but PE still thinks it's on B: and crashes therefore.

If i remember correctly, the ram drive letter has still to be changed by hand and is not done automaticly by the enabled script.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users