Photo
- - - - -

VistaPE new site and new version (version 010 BETA)

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#26 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:36 PM

psc

Maybe you give a tutorial for such stupid Vista users like me, what to do if you have

hm...

1. Install WAIK to default folder (you MUST use it, if you have x64 computer, and imagex.exe is better tool for WIM files anyway)
2. Copy Vista DVD to HDD (it's more faste)
3. use Vista DVd as source
4. Download minimum scripts (better for testing) and press "Play" button :cheers:

All must work... folder with WinBuilder must be placed on NTFS disk, better on C: in root (some people have some trouble with others disks, i not know why)

All

I noticed that my icons text are a bit smaller too.

did it very different with my screenshots?

I'm sad that the "Delete Work Folder" option has disappeared from the LiteStep script, since the desktop icons font size appears to be set to the vicinithy of four points, so in order to read the captions I'll have to extract the 7z, unpack it, fix it, pack it, and re-insert it.

http://www.vistape.n...istape-api.html

Unpack - extract program files from script, example: "Unpack,Folder,AngelWriter.7z,True" - first option (Folder) - directory in script with archives; second parameter (AngelWriter.7z) - archive name; third option (in this case " True ") is used only in self extracting archives (files with exe extension), and used as a parameter start, otherwise ignored. If a directory with the script contain folder with the same name as the output folder (%ProgramFolder%), and it is a file named Programme (% ProgramEXE%), is not extracting archive of the script, and copying files from this folder, it is done for facilitate configuration and maintenance program without making immediate changes in the script.
Also possible advanced usage of this function with directive to target folder and program executable (need for check extracting process), example:
"unpack,Files,%ProgramArchive%,,%target_win%,System32".
Brief description of the parameters:
"Unpack,[Folder],[Archive zip rar 7z and some exe],[True],[%Target_Prog%],[%ProgramFolder%],[%programExe%]"
For extracting archive we use "7z.exe", latest version support 7z, zip, rar and other archive formats.

Network
What network adapter do you have? All drivers install correctly?

#27 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:40 PM

powaking

Yes I have the Vistape.cd in the root folder. Here is my txtsetup.sif file

1. delete %ScriptDir%\RECC folder
2. run this script standalone and post log here, you have error with patching txtsetup.sif file and i need log to help you :cheers:

#28 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:42 PM

psc

hm...

1. Install WAIK to default folder (you MUST use it, if you have x64 computer, and imagex.exe is better tool for WIM files anyway)
4. Download minimum scripts (better for testing) and press "Play" button :cheers:

All must work... folder with WinBuilder must be placed on NTFS disk, better on C: in root (some people have some trouble with others disks, i not know why)

All

Network

Nothing has changed since building 09 version. Only difference I can see is your Driver plugin is a different size than 010 version. What I did to run out my environment is move my 09 version to a different folder, downloaded 010 and rebuild and no network.

In device manager I see the network card drive not installed. This is on an IBM Netvista machine with intel nic. Not even in VirtualBox (I included those drivers).

I'll try a build it with 09 version of your driver pack and see if that resolves the issue.

Edit: PCWizard 2008 is still pointing to the pc2007.exe file. Need to fix that. Also if you like this one you can add this splash pic to Grub, its what I use.

#29 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:48 PM

powaking

1. delete %ScriptDir%\RECC folder
2. run this script standalone and post log here, you have error with patching txtsetup.sif file and i need log to help you :cheers:

Here it is:

#30 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:31 PM

Nothing has changed since building 09 version. Only difference I can see is your Driver plugin is a different size than 010 version. What I did to run out my environment is move my 09 version to a different folder, downloaded 010 and rebuild and no network.

In device manager I see the network card drive not installed. This is on an IBM Netvista machine with intel nic. Not even in VirtualBox (I included those drivers).

I'll try a build it with 09 version of your driver pack and see if that resolves the issue.

Edit: PCWizard 2008 is still pointing to the pc2007.exe file. Need to fix that. Also if you like this one you can add this splash pic to Grub, its what I use.

I tried building with 09 of your Driver plugin and I did get an IP in VirtualBox but I had to issue the startnet command to get an IP. I'm going to burn to CD and see if it grabs an IP natively rather than virtual.

#31 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:08 PM

I tried building with 09 of your Driver plugin and I did get an IP in VirtualBox but I had to issue the startnet command to get an IP. I'm going to burn to CD and see if it grabs an IP natively rather than virtual.

Ok the build with 09 driver plugin worked on my IBM Netvista but not on my HP NC6000 laptop. My previous build worked with this same laptop so something is up in regards to networking between 09 to 010. Not sure what.

#32 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:44 PM

psc

hm...

Following this procedure I again got a 'black screen'

BTW:
Before building, in PreConfig I changed 'C:\Program Files\Windows AIK' to 'C:\Programme\Windows AIK'
The default preset should be:
'%ProgramFilesDir%\Windows AIK'
That makes it language independend (for fools like me who do not check all scripts before first trial)

I do not know whether with the default shell 'LiteStep' something has to be customized.
Because I am the best friend of BG (to H*** with him), I used 'Explorer' in my second trial, and that worked.

Suggestion:

Check your project to be 'One-Click' ready (like nativeEx_barebone, LiveXP and NativePE are)
Give the (newby, fool, dummy, idiot, ...) user a chance to get a running build just after defining the source and then 'Play'.
BTW: Maybe you use qEmu (if it can handle Vista) to run the PE in the 'One-Click'

Peter

#33 booty#1

booty#1

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 285 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:52 AM

Following this procedure I again got a 'black screen'

What is the path to your target directory where VistaPE is built?

Suggestion:

Check your project to be 'One-Click' ready (like nativeEx_barebone, LiveXP and NativePE are)
Give the (newby, fool, dummy, idiot, ...) user a chance to get a running build just after defining the source and then 'Play'.
BTW: Maybe you use qEmu (if it can handle Vista) to run the PE in the 'One-Click'

Peter

What "additional clicks" were necessary on your system? I usually enter the source path and press Play...

booty#1

#34 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:54 AM

My first image related 010 version shows that in the tree: is it normal?
Thank you! :cheers:

Attached Thumbnails

• 11.png

#35 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:06 PM

I apologize if I previously wrong the place, maybe this post stays better here.
The issue is LiteStep related: I should need that the program folder is not deleted, but the previous feature in the new version is missing...
Posted Image

Please, how can I restore it? :cheers:

#36 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:21 PM

What is the path to your target directory where VistaPE is built?

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Peter\Desktop\WB Archiv\Beta8\Target\VistaPE-beta

What "additional clicks" were necessary on your system? I usually enter the source path and press Play...

In PreConfig I changed 'C:\Program Files\Windows AIK' to 'C:\Programme\Windows AIK'

Peter

#37 booty#1

booty#1

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 285 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:25 PM

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Peter\Desktop\WB Archiv\Beta8\Projects\VistaPE-Beta

And that is the problem. The WIM file that is created at the end of the build process includes all NTFS permissions. On your desktop only administrators and your account have read/write permissions. When VistaPE boots up it fails to read some system files.

I already posted this bug including fix some time ago:
Bug "VistaPE boots into black screen" and how to fix it, VistaPE v008 bug caused by "wrong" NTFS permissions

Addendum: May be we should add an automatic NTFS permission adjustment via "SetAcl.exe".
The correct command line for setting "Everybody" "Full control" would be:

setacl.exe -ot "file" -on "<absolute path to directory>" -actn ace -actn setprot  -op "dacl:p_nc"  -ace "n:S-1-1-0;p:full;s:y"

booty#1

#38 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:58 PM

I noticed that my icons text are a bit smaller too.

For me, much smaller. Half the height or less. I do not have a screenshot to post right now. {ABE: See below for screenshot}

I'm sad that the "Delete Work Folder" option has disappeared from the LiteStep script, since the desktop icons font size appears to be set to the vicinithy of four points, so in order to read the captions I'll have to extract the 7z, unpack it, fix it, pack it, and re-insert it.

Unpack - extract program files from script, example: "Unpack,Folder,AngelWriter.7z,True" - first option (Folder) - directory in script with archives; second parameter (AngelWriter.7z) - archive name; third option (in this case " True ") is used only in self extracting archives (files with exe extension), and used as a parameter start, otherwise ignored. If a directory with the script contain folder with the same name as the output folder (%ProgramFolder%), and it is a file named Programme (% ProgramEXE%), is not extracting archive of the script, and copying files from this folder, it is done for facilitate configuration and maintenance program without making immediate changes in the script.
Also possible advanced usage of this function with directive to target folder and program executable (need for check extracting process), example:
"unpack,Files,%ProgramArchive%,,%target_win%,System32".
Brief description of the parameters:
"Unpack,[Folder],[Archive zip rar 7z and some exe],[True],[%Target_Prog%],[%ProgramFolder%],[%programExe%]"
For extracting archive we use "7z.exe", latest version support 7z, zip, rar and other archive formats.

I do not understand. It appears to me that this describes a process that is far more complicated than the process I described.

Network

Virtual PC 2007. Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 (built in to my Asus motherboard). It works with lots of other VMs and has worked with Beta 9. I am unable to check if the drivers all install correctly in beta 10. PENetcfg says network support has not been installed, and when I click yes the installing dialog box stays ther forever.

I have been trying to make a reference build of beta 9 to make sure that still works but I have been unsuccessful so far; it appears that I have to manually delete the target and temp directories made by beta 10 before beta 9 will work. (If I do not do this I get "Cannot find bcdedit" and get no WIM or ISO). Now I get an ISO but cannot load LiteStep shell. Still working on it ...

OK, here is a Beta 9 screenshot:

Beta_9.jpg

and here is beta 10, same VM but booting from the new ISO:

Beta_10.jpg

Note the font size.

I saw a command window titled "Net.exe" flash by at boot time; the message inside said something like "The IPdriver ... successfully". I am not sure about the sord "successfully".

#39 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:16 PM

And that is the problem. The WIM file that is created at the end of the build process includes all NTFS permissions. On your desktop only administrators and your account have read/write permissions. When VistaPE boots up it fails to read some system files.

I already posted this bug including fix some time ago:
Bug "VistaPE boots into black screen" and how to fix it, VistaPE v008 bug caused by "wrong" NTFS permissions

Addendum: May be we should add an automatic NTFS permission adjustment via "SetAcl.exe".
The correct command line for setting "Everybody" "Full control" would be:

setacl.exe -ot "file" -on "<absolute path to directory>" -actn ace -actn setprot  -op "dacl:p_nc"  -ace "n:S-1-1-0;p:full;s:y"

booty#1

Thanks, Booty :cheers:
After making the changes, I came into a running VirtualBox VistaPE LiteStep.

Peter

#40 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:28 PM

For me, much smaller. Half the height or less. I do not have a screenshot to post right now.

Hmm I wouldn't say half the hight but appears a bit smaller but not a big deal for me as I only have a few icons on the desktop. I can live with it.

I do not understand. It appears to me that this describes a process that is far more complicated than the process I described.
Virtual PC 2007. Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 (built in to my Asus motherboard). It works with lots of other VMs and has worked with Beta 9. I am unable to check if the drivers all install correctly in beta 10. PENetcfg says network support has not been installed, and when I click yes the installing dialog box stays ther forever.

I have been trying to make a reference build of beta 9 to make sure that still works but I have been unsuccessful so far; it appears that I have to manually delete the target and temp directories made by beta 10 before beta 9 will work. (If I do not do this I get "Cannot find bcdedit" and get no WIM or ISO). Now I get an ISO but cannot load LiteStep shell. Still working on it ...

This is pretty much my issue as well. What I haven't done is manually removing the target folder since going from 09 to 010. I'll try that and re-try 010 of his driver pack.

#41 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:59 PM

Hmm I wouldn't say half the hight but appears a bit smaller but not a big deal for me as I only have a few icons on the desktop. I can live with it.
This is pretty much my issue as well. What I haven't done is manually removing the target folder since going from 09 to 010. I'll try that and re-try 010 of his driver pack.

I give up. I'm going to go back to using Nightmans Driver pack from 09 with VistaPE 010 as I can't get networking to work with 010 of the Driver pack.

Anyone else having this issue and was able to get it resolved???? Its really driving me nuts!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

#42 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:10 PM

how can I restore it?

SOLVED!
It needs to restore nothing: it's sufficient add following lines to "1-Litestep.script" then finally Italian clock-time and date-format shall be properly shown also in VistaPE-Beta 010:

&#91;Process&#93;

. . .

TXTDelLine,&#34;%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc&#34;,&#34;TimeLblText&#34;

TXTAddLine,&#34;%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc&#34;,&#34;TimeLblText #$q&#91;time&#40;&#39;i&#58;nn&#39;&#41;&#93; &#91;lowerCase&#40;time&#40;&#39;am/pm&#39;&#41;&#41;&#93;#$q&#34;,&#34;Append&#34;

TXTReplace,&#34;%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc&#34;,&#34;ddd. mmm. d&#34;,&#34;ddd. d mmm.&#34;

:cheers:

Attached Thumbnails

• 12.png

#43 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:15 PM

SOLVED!
It needs to restore nothing: it's sufficient add following lines to "1-Litestep.script" then finally Italian clock-time and date-format shall be properly shown:

&#91;Process&#93;

. . .

TXTDelLine,&#34;%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc&#34;,&#34;TimeLblText&#34;

TXTAddLine,&#34;%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc&#34;,&#34;TimeLblText #$q&#91;time&#40;&#39;i&#58;nn&#39;&#41;&#93; &#91;lowerCase&#40;time&#40;&#39;am/pm&#39;&#41;&#41;&#93;#$q&#34;,&#34;Append&#34;

TXTReplace,&#34;%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc&#34;,&#34;ddd. mmm. d&#34;,&#34;ddd. d mmm.&#34;

You can build on this so that if this theme is selected then it would process the lines

If,"%pScrollBox1%",Equal,"Austerity",TXTDelLine,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc","TimeLblText"
If,"%pScrollBox1%",Equal,"Austerity",TXTAddLine,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc","TimeLblText #$q[time('i:nn')] [lowerCase(time('am/pm'))]#$q","Append"
If,"%pScrollBox1%",Equal,"Austerity",TXTAddLine,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc","TimeLblText #$q[time('i:nn')] [lowerCase(time('am/pm'))]#$q","Append"

#44 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:26 PM

You can build on this so that if this theme is selected then it would process the lines

If,"%pScrollBox1%",Equal,"Austerity",TXTDelLine,"%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc","TimeLblText"

Thank you so very much, powaking! :cheers:

You know, for me is still a step by step... :cheers:

Btw: what you say, now am I really deserved my mention in "Locale.script"?!? :cheers:

http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=22463

#45 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:33 PM

@Nightman

Here is a WinDiff between the Drivers pack from 09 and from 010. Not sure if there is anything that sticks out to you as to why 09 would work and 010 would not work.

#46 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:36 PM

And maybe even in "1-Litestep.script"?!? :cheers:

Newbie (me) > :cheers:

#47 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:59 PM

Just to be exact, there is a "copy&paste" mistake: right strings are the following

If,&#34;%pScrollBox1%&#34;,Equal,&#34;Austerity&#34;,TXTDelLine,&#34;%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc&#34;,&#34;TimeLblText&#34;

If,&#34;%pScrollBox1%&#34;,Equal,&#34;Austerity&#34;,TXTAddLine,&#34;%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc&#34;,&#34;TimeLblText #$q&#91;time&#40;&#39;i&#58;nn&#39;&#41;&#93; &#91;lowerCase&#40;time&#40;&#39;am/pm&#39;&#41;&#41;&#93;#$q&#34;,&#34;Append&#34;

If,&#34;%pScrollBox1%&#34;,Equal,&#34;Austerity&#34;,TXTReplace,&#34;%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc&#34;,&#34;ddd. mmm. d&#34;,&#34;ddd. d mmm.&#34;

:cheers: :cheers:

#48 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4171 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:00 AM

Just got time to test version 10.
Final ISO came out to be 100MB

Something I noticed.
When you first add the http://www.vistape.net/project/
address you get to download the project at around 9MB. That should be the recommended setting but for some reason when I go to selecting the Complete option the toatal increases to 63+MB, that is fine, but when you go back to the option for Recommended the setting seems to go to Showing the Minimum setting of 16K. So Minimum and Recommended seem to default to the same size and selected scripts to download.

Is there no better litestep Skin. More modern looking.

First test went well. Good job on updates.

#49 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:13 AM

@ powaking

Hi! :cheers:

I've just improved strings adding an hide feature in LiteStep/AusterityShell and perfecting further previous ones (now they are smarter).

New feature consists in a shifting display about elapsed-session-time when mouse-pointer is placed on Time/Date systray-icon (please, see the screenshot).

Then, actual strings are as following

If,&#34;%pScrollBox1%&#34;,Equal,&#34;Austerity&#34;,TXTReplace,&#34;%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc&#34;,&#34;h&#58;nn&#34;,&#34;i&#58;nn&#34;

If,&#34;%pScrollBox1%&#34;,Equal,&#34;Austerity&#34;,TXTReplace,&#34;%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc&#34;,&#34;;TimeLblOnMouseEnter&#34;,&#34;TimeLblOnMouseEnter&#34;

If,&#34;%pScrollBox1%&#34;,Equal,&#34;Austerity&#34;,TXTReplace,&#34;%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc&#34;,&#34;;TimeLblOnMouseLeave&#34;,&#34;TimeLblOnMouseLeave&#34;

If,&#34;%pScrollBox1%&#34;,Equal,&#34;Austerity&#34;,TXTReplace,&#34;%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc&#34;,&#34;ddd. mmm. d&#34;,&#34;ddd. d mmm.&#34;

and all works so very fine.

However another issue exists: in fact it's necessary that strings are active not only if Austerity Theme is selected in LiteSte window, but also if Italian Locale (or any language that use the same format) is selected in "Main Configuration" window, otherwise an US user (for example) should see wrong US standard clock/date format.

Really I think that the issue can be usefully semplified using just two options for both clock-time and date formats:
1. Anglo-Saxon format;
2. Not Anglo-Saxon format.
I still don't know how it can be done, but I'm sure that "somebody" shall help me to do it! :cheers:

Attached Thumbnails

• 8.png

#50 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:02 PM

@ powaking

Hi! :cheers:

I've just improved strings adding an hide feature in LiteStep/AusterityShell and perfecting further previous ones (now they are smarter).

New feature consists in a shifting display about elapsed-session-time when mouse-pointer is placed on Time/Date systray-icon (please, see the screenshot).

Then, actual strings are as following

If,&#34;%pScrollBox1%&#34;,Equal,&#34;Austerity&#34;,TXTReplace,&#34;%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc&#34;,&#34;h&#58;nn&#34;,&#34;i&#58;nn&#34;

If,&#34;%pScrollBox1%&#34;,Equal,&#34;Austerity&#34;,TXTReplace,&#34;%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc&#34;,&#34;;TimeLblOnMouseEnter&#34;,&#34;TimeLblOnMouseEnter&#34;

If,&#34;%pScrollBox1%&#34;,Equal,&#34;Austerity&#34;,TXTReplace,&#34;%TargetDir%\Program#$sFiles\LiteStep\themes\austerity\config\system_time.rc&#34;,&#34;;TimeLblOnMouseLeave&#34;,&#34;TimeLblOnMouseLeave&#34;

and all works so very fine.

However another issue exists: in fact it's necessary that strings are active not only if Austerity Theme is selected in LiteSte window, but also if Italian Locale (or any language that use the same format) is selected in "Main Configuration" window, otherwise an US user (for example) should see wrong US standard clock/date format.
Really I think that the issue can be usefully semplified using just two options for both clock-time and date formats:
1. Anglo-Saxon format;
2. Not Anglo-Saxon format.
I still don't know how it can be done, but I'm sure that "somebody" shall help me to do it! :cheers:

Good find. I don't use the Austerity theme myself but I'm sure those who do will find this knowledgeable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users