#1 darren rose

darren rose

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 455 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 October 2007 - 02:27 PM

Hi, am new to this forum, have always been a BartPE builder user for years now, and as it no longer gets updated now looking at winbuilder and especially vistape

One problem though is getting networking working under vistape, does any one know of a working script file that actually works okay under vistape without having to understand the scripts and/or make any other changes?

Have tried Holgers network and the supplied penetcfg, but the holger one seems to be for XP based projects and does not even install, whereas the penetcfg comes up fine but won't get a ip from dhcp etc.

Help please?!!!!

Thanks

Wingers :cheers:

#2 DaemonForce

DaemonForce

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:[=D=] has been gone for ages along with .NET 1.0. I may bring it back depending on the amazing people here.
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 October 2007 - 02:37 PM

Have you ever thought of just using factory? :cheers:

#3 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

Hi darren rose!

Welcome in our forum!

Unfortunatelly I cannot help you in your question, but please, have a look here.

Peter

#4 darren rose

darren rose

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 455 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 October 2007 - 03:06 PM

Have you ever thought of just using factory? :cheers:

Thanks for reply DaemonForce but can you explain what you mean? I have downloaded 009 beta using winbuilder and built it as it is with no changes for now (will add apps I need later) and networking does not work? I assume by factory you mean just building vistape as it is?

#5 darren rose

darren rose

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 455 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 October 2007 - 03:09 PM

Hi darren rose!

Welcome in our forum!

Unfortunatelly I cannot help you in your question, but please, have a look here.

Peter

Thanks Peter, hadn't noticed my mistake until now! now changed to United Kingdom!

#6 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 October 2007 - 03:17 PM

Thanks Peter, hadn't noticed my mistake until now! now changed to United Kingdom!

:cheers:

Peter

#7 DaemonForce

DaemonForce

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:[=D=] has been gone for ages along with .NET 1.0. I may bring it back depending on the amazing people here.
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 October 2007 - 03:35 PM

Thanks for reply DaemonForce but can you explain what you mean?

What do you mean explain? How on Earth can you not know about the factory tool? It's been manufactured as the first program to run by winpeshl since the first Windows OPK. :cheers:

*Winpeshl begins*
*Winpeshl looks for Startnet.cmd and Startbuild.cmd...*
*Winpeshl calls CMD /K Winpeshl.ini*
If Not exist Winpeshl.ini, execute: *Startbuild.cmd is not found* && *Startnet.cmd is found*
*factory -winpe is called from within Startnet.cmd*
Resolution is set
Network is started
WinPE does not finish

I have downloaded 009 beta using winbuilder and built it as it is with no changes for now (will add apps I need later) and networking does not work? I assume by factory you mean just building vistape as it is?

I don't touch the VistaPE model designed by WinBuilder. It never works for me.
I thought you were using the OPK.

#8 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:34 PM

@Daemonforce

Since this is the VistaPE forum, it seems probable that an user asking for help here is using VistaPE rather than the Windows OPK. :cheers:

And since you don't use VistaPE, why do you try helping members here? :cheers:

jaclaz

#9 darren rose

darren rose

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 455 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:52 PM

What do you mean explain? How on Earth can you not know about the factory tool? It's been manufactured as the first program to run by winpeshl since the first Windows OPK. :cheers:

*Winpeshl begins*
*Winpeshl looks for Startnet.cmd and Startbuild.cmd...*
*Winpeshl calls CMD /K Winpeshl.ini*
If Not exist Winpeshl.ini, execute: *Startbuild.cmd is not found* && *Startnet.cmd is found*
*factory -winpe is called from within Startnet.cmd*
Resolution is set
Network is started
WinPE does not finish

I don't touch the VistaPE model designed by WinBuilder. It never works for me.
I thought you were using the OPK.

As JaClaz has already said it so well, I don't need to really say more do I DaemonForce, perhaps when I post a question in an OPK forum you can answer me then!

#10 DaemonForce

DaemonForce

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:17 AM

Since this is the VistaPE forum, it seems probable that an user asking for help here is using VistaPE rather than the Windows OPK. :cheers:

Upon the title, I thought otherwise of the VistaPE forum. :cheers:

And since you don't use VistaPE, why do you try helping members here? :cheers:

My VistaPE(under authorization of Microsoft) is under development with the 32-Bit Windows subsystem. My VistaPE directly reflects contents that of the average boot.wim document. My interest in this project is due to a major NT revision and integration of the .NET Framework 3.0. My lack of use is a joint software failure on a hardware level. :cheers:

Perhaps when I post a question in an OPK forum you can answer me then!

Why can't you answer that you have the factory tool? :cheers:

I remember the last time it was under development we decided a name change upon entry to a new NT platform. I believe it's called WPEINIT unless there was some objection I missed. There's another program called WPEUTIL but I'm not entirely aware of the purpose. I've never been able to develop anything further than a factory kit due to my discouraging lack of retail Vista binaries. Good luck with this project. :cheers:

#11 darren rose

darren rose

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 455 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:39 PM

Upon the title, I thought otherwise of the VistaPE forum. :cheers:

My VistaPE(under authorization of Microsoft) is under development with the 32-Bit Windows subsystem. My VistaPE directly reflects contents that of the average boot.wim document. My interest in this project is due to a major NT revision and integration of the .NET Framework 3.0. My lack of use is a joint software failure on a hardware level. :cheers:

Why can't you answer that you have the factory tool? :cheers:
I remember the last time it was under development we decided a name change upon entry to a new NT platform. I believe it's called WPEINIT unless there was some objection I missed. There's another program called WPEUTIL but I'm not entirely aware of the purpose. I've never been able to develop anything further than a factory kit due to my discouraging lack of retail Vista binaries. Good luck with this project. :cheers:

Lets just leave it here, all I wanted was some help I was having with VistaPE, I don't have the factory tools, as said before I don't know what you are on about, I am using winbuilder and vistape hence why I posted a message here, if you can't help me then please avoid suggesting unrelated ways/apps.
NOTE: bolded italic is an Edit by jaclaz

#12 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:51 PM

Lets just leave it here, all I wanted was some help I was having with VistaPE, I don't have the factory tools, as said before I don't know what you are on about, I am using winbuilder and vistape hence why I posted a message here, if you can't help me then ..........

@darren rose
Sorry that you are very disappointed.

Sometimes some members post some bullsh**
You should not understand it personally.

I want to try to help you. But currently there is an issue: I personaly am an enemy of Vista (therefore of VistaPE, too)
I'm going to install VistaPE and look what is going wrong with your installation!
Wait for my next post tomorrow! :cheers:

Peter

#13 darren rose

darren rose

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 455 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:48 PM

@darren rose
Sorry that you are very disappointed.

I want to try to help you. But currently there is an issue: I personaly am an enemy of Vista (therefore of VistaPE, too)
I'm going to install VistaPE and look what is going wrong with your installation!
Wait for my next post tomorrow! :cheers:

Peter

Thanks Peter

No disppointed with the site or anyone else, just one particular person (DaemonForce)

Will look out tomorrow for your next post!

NOTE: bolded italic is an Edit by jaclaz

#14 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:02 PM

SERVICE POST

@darren rose

Please do not forget to read the Rules:
http://www.boot-land...?act=boardrules

with particular regards to points #7 and #12 :cheers:.

We try our best to keep this place as peaceful as possible, if you do not appreciate an answer you received to your request, simply ignore it, or try externating your disappointment in a more "plain" way.

@Daemonforce
As it has already been told you, it is much appreciated that replies are on topic, and are better documented.
Posting:
"Why don't you use factory.exe from the Windows VISTA OPK?"
instead of:

Have you ever thought of just using factory?

while still being a one-liner, is enough for an average user to understand that he might be not interested in your suggestion.

Always assume that when a member, and expecially a new one, asks for help, he needs accurate information, and most probably knows nothing or only very little about tools commonly used by more experienced members, expecially if they have nothing to do with the project forum in which the request was posted.

jaclaz

#15 darren rose

darren rose

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 455 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:37 PM

SERVICE POST
@darren rose

Please do not forget to read the Rules:
http://www.boot-land...?act=boardrules

with particular regards to points #7 and #12 :cheers:.

We try our best to keep this place as peaceful as possible, if you do not appreciate an answer you received to your request, simply ignore it, or try externating your disappointment in a more "plain" way.

@Daemonforce
As it has already been told you, it is much appreciated that replies are on topic, and are better documented.
Posting:
"Why don't you use factory.exe from the Windows VISTA OPK?"
instead of:

while still being a one-liner, is enough for an average user to understand that he might be not interested in your suggestion.

Always assume that when a member, and expecially a new one, asks for help, he needs accurate information, and most probably knows nothing or only very little about tools commonly used by more experienced members, expecially if they have nothing to do with the project forum in which the request was posted.

jaclaz

Please accept my apologis jaclaz, was just looking for some help, and got a bit annoyed with the responses, it won't happen again

#16 darren rose

darren rose

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 455 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:48 PM

P.S. It is quite possible that my original question is not valid anyway now as I see there is a new beta of vistape, so I will try this and see if I can get networking working okay

#17 DaemonForce

DaemonForce

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:50 AM

all I wanted was some help I was having with VistaPE

Well what's the name of the network adapter you need installed?

I don't appreciate unprofessionalism on this board. Especially from you since you are a member marked within a single digit upon membership. I respect you for your attentive nature on this forum.

I'll make you travel size. :cheers:

I revised my action as soon as I realized the name change.

Always assume that when a member, and expecially a new one, asks for help, he needs accurate information, and most probably knows nothing or only very little about tools commonly used by more experienced members

Why does it feel like I'm always talking to someone from another world? :cheers:

expecially if they have nothing to do with the project forum in which the request was posted.

Ah, much better. :cheers:
While VistaPE is commonly referred here as a toolkit expanded by WinBuilder, I usually make a direct reference to a modified OPK whenever I see this term. This is due to my past of working on VistaPE ever since it was in stage 5219. For some unforseen reason that I haven't been able to resolve, the OPK works fine for me. VistaPE produced by WinBuilder has never worked for me and I have yet to see a successful result. I'm not sure why that is and I assume everyone else is doing something to their build that I'm not.

#18 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:20 PM

MS never call their latest version of PE Vista PE. Its called Windows PE 2.0 and is part of the windows automated installation kit ( WAIK ). The latest version is now based on Windows 2008 server components.

DaemonForce it would be better if you did not refer to your modified version of Windows PE 2.0 as VistaPE as at best it is confusing and helps no one since you never publish any concrete details about your version.

#19 DaemonForce

DaemonForce

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:12 PM

MS never call their latest version of PE Vista PE. Its called Windows PE 2.0 and is part of the windows automated installation kit ( WAIK ). The latest version is now based on Windows 2008 server components.

Yes.

DaemonForce it would be better if you did not refer to your modified version of Windows PE 2.0 as VistaPE as at best it is confusing and helps no one since you never publish any concrete details about your version.

I published details about it. They are resident on my server and are currently experimental scripts. I need to write updates for differences between PE 1.x and PE 2.0 because there are changes that need to be made depending on the version major.
I'm attempting to run an automation the way WinBuilder does but there's something that gets screwed up every time WinBuilder touches the target VistaPE. I do not know what it is and I need to stay away from WinBuilder because it creates failures in my builds. :cheers:

#20 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:13 PM

I published details about it.
They are resident on my server and are currently experimental scripts.

Where?
It would be nice if you could provide some links.

@All
Confusing Windows PE 2.0 with VistaPE is rather common, please, besides Paraglider's post above, do also read my post here:
http://www.911cd.net...o...20318&st=12

@Daemonforce
However, should this be not yet clear to you, this forum:
http://www.boot-land...istaPE-f51.html
is dedicated ONLY to the the project named VistaPE, by Nightman, that uses Winbuilder.

People asking for help here need replies on this, NOT to MS Windows 1.x or 2.x PE.

jaclaz

#21 DaemonForce

DaemonForce

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:29 PM

Where?
It would be nice if you could provide some links.

No. I administrate a private community of less than 10 people and a restricted section only available to 4 domain admins with elevated priviledges. I've done public documentation before to non-members that scroll across a few links and I'm not letting Vista turn into a bigger mess like before! :cheers:

Need I remind you: You've experienced something similar to this on this very forum not too long ago.

On a completely unrelated note it would appear I'm being constantly attacked(READ: Bruteforced) by major corporations just so I'm left incapable of publishing my content to associates that use my projects. There are persistent bots crawling all over my server looking for obscure data like sysoc.inf and admin passwords for several hours, critically straining my network connection to a null. I'm not about to post links to a site and get flooded with registrations. Hell I'm trying my best to hide the registration page while I'm constantly issuing domain bans left and right on attackers. :cheers:
If someone could please release an executable script for me to use on IIS so that I can perform this action in an unattended manner, I would greatly appreciate it and I would no longer receive denial of service attacks.

Confusing Windows PE 2.0 with VistaPE is rather common, please, besides Paraglider's post above, do also read my post here.

However, should this be not yet clear to you, this forum is dedicated ONLY to the the project named VistaPE, by Nightman, that uses Winbuilder.

People asking for help here need replies on this, NOT to MS Windows 1.x or 2.x PE.

With the constant problems I see from WinBuilder, I see why. :cheers:

#22 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:04 PM

Ok, I see :cheers:, the mis-understanding about your published work derives from the different meanings of the verb "to publish".

That would also explain your feeling:

Why does it feel like I'm always talking to someone from another world?

On the Merriam Webster:
http://www.m-w.com/c...p;va=publishing

Main Entry: pub·lish
Pronunciation: 'p&-blish
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, modification of Anglo-French publier, from Latin publicare, from publicus public
transitive verb
1 a : to make generally known b : to make public announcement of
2 a : to disseminate to the public b : to produce or release for distribution; specifically : PRINT 2c c : to issue the work of (an author)

You were using definition 1b "to make public announcement of" whilst I read it in the sense of 2a "to disseminate to the public" or 2b "to produce or release for distribution".

Still, as I see it, it does not make much sense to publicly announce something that is not available, and for which not even a tentative "timeline" or "roadmap" for release exists.

All the references to your project I happened to find in your posts here and on 911CD appear to me like bits and pieces, all I could get is that you are working to create a form of WinPE called DaemonPE.

Maybe you could start a thread here:
http://www.boot-land...rogram-f64.html
describing your project, it's goals and whatever other information you feel like sharing about it, like the way you are carrying it on, omitting the technical details that you find are your exclusive intellectual property.

jaclaz

#23 phox

phox

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 764 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:34 PM

P.S. It is quite possible that my original question is not valid anyway now as I see there is a new beta of vistape, so I will try this and see if I can get networking working okay

Network support in VistaPE 10beta is working properly!

#24 phox

phox

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 764 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:39 PM

With the constant problems I see from WinBuilder, I see why. :cheers:

NightMan's VistaPE 08 works beautifully (with small glitches) and
VistaPE 10beta works brilliantly (with small glitches).

If you need help for it, just ask.

#25 DaemonForce

DaemonForce

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:42 PM

Ok, I see :cheers:, the mis-understanding about your published work derives from the different meanings of the verb "to publish".

That would also explain your feeling:
On the Merriam Webster:
http://www.m-w.com/c...p;va=publishing
You were using definition 1b "to make public announcement of" whilst I read it in the sense of 2a "to disseminate to the public" or 2b "to produce or release for distribution".

The purpose would be for 2b. I'm free to announce data to the public with the exception that it causes a problem for either users or my equipment. I made an announcement of my tools a year ago and provided links to the whitepapers freely authorized to the public. That was the worst mistake I ever made. I had to lock down the scripts because they were being crawled by self-employed disasters like Googlebot, Alexa and all kinds of other foreign devices, schools and telecoms. You have no idea how frustrating it is when the most abusive attacker you have is an overseas phone company. Yes, a phone company is crawling me. This needs to stop. Now. o_O

I employed the use of ASP.NET even further with membership roles. The problem is mitigated, but it's still a problem.

Still, as I see it, it does not make much sense to publicly announce something that is not available, and for which not even a tentative "timeline" or "roadmap" for release exists.

It's publicly available but it has no roadmap due to self-sufficiency. If I see something that would greatly help, I create it. If an associate requests a bolt, I categorize the relevancy and create it. I need to finish writing the Whitepapers, but they're accessible to an authorized and authenticated public.

All the references to your project I happened to find in your posts here and on 911CD appear to me like bits and pieces, all I could get is that you are working to create a form of WinPE called DaemonPE.

DaemonPE is a horrible time-consuming masterpiece that I had to abandon when I left Seattle in mid 2006. I have references to it available on my site. The documentation is completed but it's nothing incredibly special to use. I've often looked into it since then for the purpose of skipping over the first reboot after the file-copy stage of Windows setup. This project is on hold, it's not cancelled.

Maybe you could start a thread here:
http://www.boot-land...rogram-f64.html

I've often looked in that section and I'm wondering if I can get help with a script if I post it there. :cheers:

describing your project, it's goals and whatever other information you feel like sharing about it, like the way you are carrying it on, omitting the technical details that you find are your exclusive intellectual property.

The idea behind this is to keep fully revised copies of my code available for distribution. If I post my current code on some site and a month later I have a revised copy that a few people are starting to see, I'm most likely going to receive several messages from a lot of people I don't know because they used my outdated code and they want a revision. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say posting my code on any site other than my own is a very bad idea. :cheers:

I just got another w3wp error pop up as I was typing this. :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users