1 reply to this topic

#1 kali

kali
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:44 AM

I got liveXP working just fine. Burned the ISO to a CD.

Boots great from the cd (although it doesnt find my network card - but it is an older machine). However a problem I am having is I am trying to use/run some software that needs to modify / patch some of the windows files. The problem is the software doesnt let me choose the location of the windows directory to patch. I think it is just going off of what the active windows directory is - which is the ramdrive?? (x:\ on my machine) that liveXP sets up. So it tries to patch the windows folder on the x:\ drive which ofc doesnt work.

Is there any way to somehow switch the active windows directory so that I can run my program? Or maybe there is another solution I am not mentioning. My alternative solution is to reinstall XP which basically would be a massive pain in the ass because of how many folders / directories / data that I would have to do a witch hunt for.

This is for one of my own personal machines. So I do not have a nice external usb hdd to image my drive to and then just reinstall windows and not worry about it. So patching >>> than reinstalling everything. Oh and windows is totally screwed on my machine - it does not even boot - thus why I was hoping to beable to do this through liveXP.

#2 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:27 PM

I got liveXP working just fine. Burned the ISO to a CD.

Boots great from the cd (although it doesnt find my network card - but it is an older machine). However a problem I am having is I am trying to use/run some software that needs to modify / patch some of the windows files. The problem is the software doesnt let me choose the location of the windows directory to patch. I think it is just going off of what the active windows directory is - which is the ramdrive?? (x:\ on my machine) that liveXP sets up. So it tries to patch the windows folder on the x:\ drive which ofc doesnt work.

Is there any way to somehow switch the active windows directory so that I can run my program? Or maybe there is another solution I am not mentioning. My alternative solution is to reinstall XP which basically would be a massive pain in the ass because of how many folders / directories / data that I would have to do a witch hunt for.

This is for one of my own personal machines. So I do not have a nice external usb hdd to image my drive to and then just reinstall windows and not worry about it. So patching >>> than reinstalling everything. Oh and windows is totally screwed on my machine - it does not even boot - thus why I was hoping to beable to do this through liveXP.

Welcome to the forum, Kali!

You should try BootSDI.Script. This lets you boot from RAM and makes therefore your Windows directory writable.

BootSDI.Script can be found in the nativeEx_barebone project.

To get your network card running in the PE you can try the myNIC program.
It generates a script which installs your local network driver to the PE.

Good luck!

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users