Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:30 AM

File name: [app script] OfflineSysPrep v.1.11.0.7
Description:Api script for my OfflineSysPrep program. Only tested with LiveXP.

Posted Image Posted Image

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=19397
Download file

Edited by Galapo, 17 May 2010 - 11:23 AM.

#2 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:54 AM

Script updated to version 1.4.0.6 of OfflineSysPrep.

Changes to OfflineSysPrep:
· Corrected HAL ACPIAPIC_UP error where halacpi.dll was named hal.dll instead of halaacpi.dll being renamed hal.dll
· Added HAL support for ACPIPIC
· Added option of either OfflineSysPrep automatically determining HAL to set or manual setting
· Removed HAL update option of refreshing HAL files only (this was just a personal option really) as this is taken care of in manual use

Regards,
Galapo.

#3 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:23 AM

Just noticed a minor problem on the GUI, so have updated the script with a new file. version numbering remains the same. If you downloaded the new version prior to this post, please do so again.

Regards,
Galapo.

#4 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:53 AM

Script has been updated to version 1.4.0.7 of OfflineSysPrep.

Changes:
· Added option to specify an OEM Drivers Path for Sysprep pnp, path will be recursively scanned for .inf driver files (note: path must be on the drive\partition which will be %SystemDrive% upon boot, so the path should be located on the drive\partition which is undergoing sysprepping
· Context help addition reflecting the above

#5 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:02 AM

Script has been updated to version 1.5.0.1 of OfflineSysPrep.

· Includes support for upcoming xp sp3
· More early checks for necessary files
· sysprep can be specified to not run (eg in the event that just HAL detection or Advanced options are only desired)
· Some HAL registry service entries are now created for respective devices
· New 'Advanced' options:
- Delete 'WindowsUpdate.log'
- Delete driver '.pnf' files
- Delete 'MountedDevices' registry entries
- Delete unnecessary temporary and cached files
- Stop 'Intelppm' service if present
- Fix possible keyboard/mouse unresponsiveness during mini-setup
- Install standard IDE Mass Storage Device(s)
- Install only PE-detected non-IDE Mass Storage Device(s)
- Install all DriverPacks non-IDE Mass Storage Device(s)
- Complete OfflineSysPrep operations without running sysprep

Regards,
Galapo.

#6 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:46 AM

Thanks for the Script.

I havent syspreped before but it is suppose to help in making a universal type of Installed OS right?
If it is. Then this is cool!

#7 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:10 PM

Thanks for the new version - the changes/fixes mentioned on the log sound excellent! :cheers:

Maybe you'd consider posting a small tutorial to teach others how to use the OfflineSysPrep correctly and also give more informations of usage.

:cheers:

#8 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for the Script.

I havent syspreped before but it is suppose to help in making a universal type of Installed OS right?
If it is. Then this is cool!

Yes, it has two main uses: 1) aiding in making a universal image; and 2) aiding in getting a windows xp/2003 image working on newer hardware (eg motherboard replacement).

Thanks for the new version - the changes/fixes mentioned on the log sound excellent! :cheers:

Maybe you'd consider posting a small tutorial to teach others how to use the OfflineSysPrep correctly and also give more informations of usage.

:cheers:

Thanks!

Some details are here: http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=19397

And some help is provided in the context help of the program.

But basically the program allows to run sysprep from PE. The only issue currently that you can neither have a [SysprepMassStorage] section nor specify 'BuildMassStorage=yes' in sysprep.inf when running from PE. devcon also has some problems under PE. However, with the move to using the DriverPacks mass storage drivers, hopefully this means more machines can be rendered bootable and achieve a successful first boot upon which a full pnp can then be performed.

If anyone has specific questions, I can hopefully address them as they arise. But basically OfflineSysPrep is a front-end for sysprep allowing sysprepping to be performed from PE, esp on a non-booting system since normally sysprep has to be run under the OS that is to be sysprepped (but this cannot be done if it is not booting because of a motherboard change, for example).

Regards,
Galapo.

#9 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:44 AM

Great script! Thanks!

#10 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:28 AM

Great script! Thanks!

That's OK. As you'll see, the advantage of the WB version over the BartPE one is the WB scripting, ie the extraction of the DriverPacks files is accomplished by the script and not having to rely upon the user having already installed the BartPE plugin. Just have to point the script to the downloaded DriverPacks files...

Regards,
Galapo.

#11 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 12 November 2007 - 03:23 AM

Script has been updated to version 1.5.0.3 of the program.

· Fixed a bug with the copying of HAL files
· Fixed some bugs with the writing of HAL registry entries
· Fixed a bug with writing IDE mass storage device registry entries

Regards,
Galapo.

#12 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 05:03 AM

Had a question.
Can you prepare a Virtual Windows XP setup fix it the way you want, and then sysprep it and then use it to replace the one on the real HD. This way I can maintain and change my virtaul before having to mess with my real Hardware.

#13 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 12 November 2007 - 05:44 AM

Had a question.
Can you prepare a Virtual Windows XP setup fix it the way you want, and then sysprep it and then use it to replace the one on the real HD. This way I can maintain and change my virtaul before having to mess with my real Hardware.

Yes, you are able to do that. Note, though, that by sysprepping it you are generalising the setup so that it not tied to the hardware it was originally installed on. So by "fixing it the way you want" I take it that you mean programs' installation, desktop setup, etc etc. Note, too, that a full pnp should be performed upon first boot to adjust from "Virtual Windows XP" to "real hardware". First boot will only be successful if your mass storage controller is listed in CriticalDeviceDatabase. If it is not there by default, then hopefully using the DriverPacks pack will create this and the required service. Alternatively, you can just do this yourself by installing the driver under the booted system in the virtual machine prior to sysprepping since you do not have to use OfflineSysPrep since you currently have the OS booting.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Galapo.

#14 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:25 PM

I take it that you mean programs' installation, desktop setup, etc etc.

Yes! it does help. Thanks!

Note, too, that a full pnp should be performed upon first boot to adjust from "Virtual Windows XP" to "real hardware".

Can you explain this more. Do you mean that I have to also should include my USB devices before booting.

#15 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:42 PM

Can you explain this more. Do you mean that I have to also should include my USB devices before booting.

No, what I meant was that the "virtual hardware" will likely differ from "real hardware". So upon first boot, a pnp should be performed (in most instances this should just be automatic) for installation of drivers for the "real hardware". In sysprep you can select "pnp" so that this can be performed during mini-setup if you want.

Regards,
Galapo.

#16 phox

phox

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 764 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:09 AM

@Galapo.

With my limited knowledge, I understand that you are trying to
do something important and valuable, but I am not sure what?

Will you please be so kind and explain in plain English (not tutorial) what
OfflineSysPrep is, what are you trying to achieve and how important it is?

Thank you!

#17 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:47 AM

Sorry for intrusion, the question was not for me but I'd like to express my opinion :cheers:

Let's imaging you had an old laptop with IDE hard disk and AMD CPU. Your system is perfect for you and you have all programs installed and configured as you want. And of course you have a backup image of this system :cheers: But for some reason you have to switch to a very new laptop with SATA hard disk and Intel double core CPU. You know that deploying your old backup image on new computer won't work, do you?

What you can do with OfflineSysPrep is just deploy your backup image on a new computer, don't boot into this system yet, boot into WB build with this script and change the system on your hard disk so that it supports your new hardware. Then boot into newly deployed and changed system as it was just installed on this new computer.

PS Well, I'm not sure about AMD > Intel thing, but I know that Intel > AMD should work :cheers:

#18 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:22 AM

@Galapo.

With my limited knowledge, I understand that you are trying to
do something important and valuable, but I am not sure what?

Will you please be so kind and explain in plain English (not tutorial) what
OfflineSysPrep is, what are you trying to achieve and how important it is?

Thank you!

To restate what I outlined here: OfflineSysPrep is for sysprepping a Windows XP or 2003 partition that is to be hardware independent while offline, ie from PE and not the booted partition as with original sysprep operation.

It is important if you have an image to be applied to newer hardware, but not if you don't.

It is important if you want to create a hardware-independent image, but not if you don't.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Galapo.

#19 phox

phox

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 764 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:09 AM

To restate what I outlined here: OfflineSysPrep is for sysprepping a Windows XP or 2003 partition that is to be hardware independent while offline, ie from PE and not the booted partition as with original sysprep operation.

It is important if you have an image to be applied to newer hardware, but not if you don't.

It is important if you want to create a hardware-independent image, but not if you don't.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Galapo.

Thank you very much! :cheers:

I will try to join the club.

#20 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:59 AM

Script has been updated to version 1.6.0.1 of the program.

· Now supports 'non-default' Windows directory, eg 'WinNT' instead of 'windows'
· Better handling of active Windows partitions

Regards,
Galapo.

#21 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:51 PM

Script has been updated to version 1.6.0.2 of the program.

· Handles senario where boot.ini is located on a drive without a 'windows' folder

Regards,
Galapo.

#22 thunn

thunn

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:computers<br />mechanics<br />distortion<br /><br />
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:14 AM

I'm curious.. I see the script requires some additional files like devcon, mass storeage drivers from the drive pack base, & runscanner.

Perhaps Galapo or another could outline the minimal requirements for a 'normal' successfull sysprep, as errors are so common with this tool.

I would like to include a syspreping tool in my bartpecore project for users that don't have access to acronis universal restore.

This seems an interesting idea. :cheers:
I'll try to follow the developments here.

you may wish to link to this page for the driver pack stuff..
http://driverpacks.n...ks/overview.php

#23 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:37 AM

Gday Thunn,

A successful sysprep depends at least on a number of factors: 1. hardware; and 2. expectations.

First, hardware. A successful susprep here depends on whether you are shifting to newer hardware, particularly mass storage drivers, and whether you either have the driver supported natively by windows itself, or whether you require a third-party driver and whether this is installed and service started (OfflineSysPrep can handle this). Success also depends on whether you are shifting from an Intel board or not (OfflineSysPrep can handle this). And success depends on whether you are shifting to an incompatible HAL (OfflineSysPrep can handle this).

Second, expectations. Success depends basically on your definition of 'success'. Personally, I'm happy if I can achieve a successful first boot to then install whatever additional drivers are required etc. Sound, network, etc., can all be installed later if necessary. I am therefore focussed firstly on achieving a sucessful first boot rather than the additional requirement of having everything installed and working after sysprepping. Mass storage drivers are the main issue here in achieving 'success'.

devcon is needed to gather hwids for injection of mass storage drivers if that is required.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Galapo.

#24 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:26 PM

Script has been updated to version 1.6.0.3 of the program.

· Fixed a bug with 'windows' directory determination with multiple windows partitions and non-default naming

Regards,
Galapo.

#25 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:15 AM

Script has been updated to version 1.7.0.1 of the program.

· Added a further 'Advanced' function: 'Use SetupCopyOEMInf (if not selecting sysprep pnp)'. Now if an additional drivers path is specified on the main gui and sysprep is set to not run, SetupCopyOEMInf.exe by Pyron will recursively scan the given directory for drivers and install them on first boot (thanks due here to code by bilou_gateux posted here: http://www.boot-land...?...st&p=27039). However, if it is desirable to not have sysprep itself perform the pnp (ie, 'PnP/Detect non-plug and play hardware' will not be selected from sysprep's interface), then select 'Use SetupCopyOEMInf (if not selecting sysprep pnp)' from the 'Advanced' options
· Main gui is minimised when 'Advanced' options are open (easier viewing under PE)
· Some corrections made to various labels and other messages etc.
· CreateMassStorageData.exe has been updated to v.2.

Regards,
Galapo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users