Photo
- - - - -

ImDisk ramdisk cannot be seen as physical drive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 758 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:47 PM

I have a disk image dos.img created with vdk and can be mounted by vdk. The disk is seen
as physical drive, which is good since I can perform partitioning operations etc...
When I mount the same dos.img disk with ImDisk, it is not seen as physical drive. So partitioning
is not available. Is there a workaround ? Thank you.

#2 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1366 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:30 PM

I have a disk image dos.img created with vdk and can be mounted by vdk. The disk is seen
as physical drive, which is good since I can perform partitioning operations etc...
When I mount the same dos.img disk with ImDisk, it is not seen as physical drive. So partitioning

You can mount it with ImDisk with the image file offset option to mount a specific partition within the image file, usually the offset to the first partition is 63 blocks. But because ImDisk is not a disk driver but a disk partition driver, mounting of "complete" disk images with partition table is not supported.

#3 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 758 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:02 PM

Thank Olof for the explanations.

#4 clicx

clicx
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Afghanistan

Posted 30 September 2007 - 04:01 PM

The virtual disk based on SCSI miniport can be performed partitioning operations.

#5 SlimShady

SlimShady

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:05 PM

You can mount it with ImDisk with the image file offset option to mount a specific partition within the image file, usually the offset to the first partition is 63 blocks. But because ImDisk is not a disk driver but a disk partition driver, mounting of "complete" disk images with partition table is not supported.

aww. that's too bad. I was going to create a virtual hard disk to be used as a buffer between Vbox and VMware.

#6 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

aww. that's too bad. I was going to create a virtual hard disk to be used as a buffer between Vbox and VMware.

You can use VDK.EXE, which has this capability. :cheers:

jaclaz

#7 SlimShady

SlimShady

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:12 PM

Never mind. I specified an Imdisk driveletter and it worked.
So I guess partitions work fine virtually. :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users