• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:04 PM

Hi all,

I'm trying an app script that after some efforts seems to work... but application window appears as cut (please, see screenshots).
Others program windows (pop-up) appear correct: these are smaller than main window and appear correct, but main program window appears as cut at the bottom.

Any idea is much appreciate! :loleverybody:

[WB072 * VistaPE 008 * Logfile error-free]

Left-screenshot: under VistaPE

Right-screenshot: under Windows

#2 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:05 PM

Quite simple i presume.
Your program has stored somewhere the last window size and position and your PE screen is a lot smaller.

:loleverybody:

#3 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:18 PM

Quite simple i presume.
Your program has stored somewhere the last window size and position and your PE screen is a lot smaller.

:cheers:

MedEvil, thank you for your quick reply!
Really, it write/overwrite in the registry @ every launch both screen size values and resulting window size (after a sort of screen properties scanning).
Then under Windows it works, while under VistaPE effectively the result windows is too large (then it appears too small!) for the real screen size.
In the registry (under VistaPE) screen values appear corrrect, but really the window is larger.
To change values in the registry doesn't work: @ every launch they will be overwritten.
Starting program splash screen (scanner?) appears @ full screen (under VistaPE), not under Windows.
I see it hard! :cheers:

#4 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 11:14 PM

Then under Windows it works, while under VistaPE effectively the result windows is too large (then it appears too small!) for the real screen size.

I don't use Vista and can therefore not tell you what exactly is going on.
But from your description, which we will assume to be 100% correct. :cheers:
I would deduct that eighter the program does not run on any Vista correctly or that the screen scanning routine is missing a system file on VistaPE and is returning nonsense/default values are used.

There exist a few other possibilities, but your little excerpts from the screen do not allow for any educated guesses.

PS: There is just no way that the detection engine finds the right screen size, writes it to the registry and the program then uses the wrong settings. Unless this program simply does not work on Vista. :cheers:

Keep me posted if you find the reason.

#5 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:50 AM

There exist a few other possibilities, but your little excerpts from the screen do not allow for any educated guesses.

:cheers: You're right, but I thought it was an issue more simple...
The application is Plextor PlexTools Pro LE 3.13 and my screen resolution is 1280x1024 pixels.
I've used ExeScan to find DLLs and I've placed them in system32, I've add "all" registry values too.
I'm also registered "TeeChart7.ocx" under VistaPE, but the window remains too large.
I set screen resolution in WB both 800x600 and 1280x1024, and FBWF Cache size on 256 value too.
I was tried virtualization program to see what happened: even the application "virtualized" (placed in system32 under VistaPE) show the window too large (under Windows it run correct).

VistaPE Registry values

Windows Registry values

#6 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10565 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:47 PM

Can you try reducing the resolution from your windows machine to 800x600, run the app and then export these values back to the vistaPE script? :cheers:

I'd also tweak those values containing the Height settings. (likely sHeight?)

The app only writes in the registry - no ini files is written on disk?

------------

One other option is also launching regmon and filemon - use the filter option to only intercept messages from the app and then view what changes when you resize the window to check which keys are important to be modified.

Hope this helps.. :cheers:

#7 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:02 PM

online you still havn't said if your program works fine under Vista. So i guess you have no Vista to test, do you?
The registry entries show the settings for 3 windows which should all be completely visible.

Again! Screenshots would be really helpful.

#8 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:48 PM

Can you try reducing the resolution from your windows machine to 800x600, run the app and then export these values back to the vistaPE script? :cheers:

Done, but it overwrites these values on launch... and on exit (!).

no ini files is written on disk?

No .ini file.

One other option is also launching regmon and filemon - use the filter option to only intercept messages from the app and then view what changes when you resize the window to check which keys are important to be modified.

That fu@@ed window is not resizable neither under Windows nor under VistaPE.
Thank you! :cheers:

#9 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10565 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:52 PM

Send a message to their development support email.. :cheers:

#10 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:11 PM

online you still havn't said if your program works fine under Vista. So i guess you have no Vista to test, do you?

MedEvil, it works so fine under Vista.
I've said "Windows"... and, pardon: if it had not worked under Vista, how I could have thought to make it to work under VistaPE? :cheers:

The registry entries show the settings for 3 windows which should all be completely visible.

Nevertheless they are not so. :cheers:

Again! Screenshots would be really helpful.

Done!

#11 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:20 PM

1st screenshot show program splash-screen @ launch (under VistaPE) that cover almost completely the whole screen area and LiteStep Taskbar too (!!!).

2nd screenshot show correct size program main window @ launch: but only for 0,5 sec., then it auto-resize itself into an incorrect manner.

#12 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:27 PM

Send a message to their development support email.. :cheers:

Are you serious? :cheers:

Look out, I'll do that! :cheers:

BTW: I get two Plextor optical devices, and maybe they will reply! :cheers: :cheers:

#13 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:04 PM

And see with some screen shots we're getting somewhere!

Forget everything i said before, your problem is not the placing of the windows.
I thought the whole time, you've ment, that part of the application window is outside your screen area.

As your screen shots show, the application starts with the main window in the right size, but then the window with the information is too big and blocks part of the mainwindow.

Bet you a quarter cent, this resizing is caused because you don't have the correct font installed and the replacement you program chooses, doesn't fit.

Find the missing font - fix the problem! :cheers:

#14 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:51 PM

Bet you a quarter cent

You win!!! :cheers:
Great!
Now all seems right!
Thank you so very much, MedEvil! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

BTW: I've added ALL fonts existing in Windows to VistaPE!!! (Please, see the screenshot!) :cheers:

Great! :cheers:

#15 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:25 PM

BTW: I've added ALL fonts existing in Windows to VistaPE!!! (Please, see the screenshot!) :cheers:

I'm no expert, but i guess 1 or 2 fonts can safely be deleted. :cheers:

#16 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:35 PM

I'm no expert, but i guess 1 or 2 fonts can safely be deleted. :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users