#1 DrZharn

DrZharn

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:35 PM

This is a Modified Script from booty#1.
I changed a few things and added a USB Formating tool.
This Plugin will let you copy and run VistaPE to a USB Flash Drive or a USB Hard Drive

This Script should be put in the Finalize Folder on your VistaPE Project

Any thoughts on this script will be helpful

This file has been move to the Download section.

Click Here!

#2 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:50 PM

Nice! :loleverybody:
And very nice the idea to add "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" to it! :w00t:
In my configuration your script works fine & quick and also it is able to format my 512MB USB Flash Drive even in FAT32 file system (before I must format it only in FAT).
Thank you! :w00t:

btw: I think that you could add your script in "Downloads".

#3 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:41 AM

it is able to format my 512MB USB Flash Drive even in FAT32 file system

Errata Corrige:
my UFD (512MB) must be formatted in FAT file system, otherwise it doesn't boot... :loleverybody:

However all the good of this script remains. :w00t:

#4 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:27 AM

Errata Corrige:
my UFD (512MB) must be formatted in FAT file system, otherwise it doesn't boot... :loleverybody:

Let's correct again the Errata Corrige above as either (you choose):
1) My key, formatted as FAT32 by me does not boot on my PC.
2) My key, formatted as FAT32 by me does not boot on my PC.

(In my experience, USB sticks are pretty much "agnostic" as far as the filesystem goes, the problem might lie either:
a. in the way they were formatted
b. in the behaviour of the motherboard BIOS

jaclaz

#5 DrZharn

DrZharn

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:28 PM

Two things to note:

#1. The system you are trying to boot with USB must be USB 2.0 and have the ability to boot from USB.

#2. The best file system to use is NTFS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quick Notes:

I have used this on a ScanDisk Cruzer 1Gb USB Flash Drive. = Success
I have used this on a WesternDigital 40GB Passport Drive. = Success
I have used this on a Corsair 8GB USB Flash Drive. = Success

And jaclaz, Booting from USB is a LOT faster then CD-Rom
As a example With BartPE on my 8GB key. I can boot to the desktop in less then 1 Min.
And then use Ghost to put a new "Windows XP With Office 2003" Image (that has all the bells and whistles) on the system.
Total Time = Less then 10 Minutes.

How's That.

BTW I did put this file in Downloads

#6 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:09 PM

And jaclaz, Booting from USB is a LOT faster then CD-Rom

Never said the opposite :loleverybody:, though of course ALL is depending on hardware, as said expecially on motherboard BIOS.

#2. The best file system to use is NTFS

Hmmm, best for what? :w00t:

Definitely for data integrity.

Definitely not for access speed.

There are reports that NTFS is "less compatible" than other filesystems on certain hardware.

Besides it is NOT recommended, generally speaking, for Flash based devices, as it may cause premature wear.

jaclaz

#7 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:17 PM

Let's correct again the Errata Corrige above as either (you choose):
1) My key, formatted as FAT32 by me does not boot on my PC.
2) My key, formatted as FAT32 by me does not boot on my PC.

Sure! :loleverybody:
And maybe to say so it would change a little only (imho). :w00t:

If I say that:

I use 2 Philips and 1 PEAK II Xtreme2 (8GB size) UFD(s)

my UFD @ issue is Philips one: UFD tempted-boot freezing on initial black screen, after POST.

my machine is an Intel based PC one
my mainboard is a ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP Edition
my mainboard's (AMI) BIOS is (more than) able to boot USB devices too...

my UFD is 512MB size
my UFD is bootable
my UFD is USB 2.0 compatible
my UFD is OS (Vista) compatible

my formatting tool is MS format
my formatting tool is "booty#1" suggested method
my formatting tool is HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool 2.0.6
my formatting tool is FlashBoot 1.4.0.157 (> BartPE);

really I don't say much more, maybe (imho)... :w00t:

I "guarantee" that at least in my configuration Philips UFD must be to format in FAT file system only, otherwise it doesn't work (it doesn't boot anything) in "any" (at least known by me) way. :w00t:

#8 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:34 AM

I remember one topic where Jaclaz mentioned his findings about specific MBR code by HP formatter that allows
successful boots on more systems (by skipping a checking) than the plain XP formatter.

Personnally, on my two laptops and on different USB keys:
- XP format FAT32 fails to boot (blinking cursor)
- HP USB format FAT32 fails to boot (message remove disk, press a key)

Then I install grub4dos in MBR using bootlace.com, and miracle, all my key boot successfully.
So it would be interesting to understand what magical trick grub4dos has in its MBR code.

Note: for information without grub4dos MBR, my keys if formatted FAT16X (LBA enabled) with PetoUSB (codebeetle)
boot successfully.

#9 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:14 AM

I remember one topic where Jaclaz mentioned his findings about specific MBR code by HP formatter that allows successful boots on more systems (by skipping a checking) than the plain XP formatter.

Yep, the post is here:
http://www.boot-land...?...=2246&st=15
but since the HP utility has been used, that modified code is already used.

Then I install grub4dos in MBR using bootlace.com, and miracle, all my key boot successfully.
So it would be interesting to understand what magical trick grub4dos has in its MBR code.

A word of caution, though.
The grub4dos grldr.mbr is not strictly a MBR, but rather an IPL for the following (hidden) sectors (in latest release I saw grldr.mbr was 8,192 bytes long, thus it will take 15 hidden sectors, besides first sector) , that, once loaded, load the rest of grldr in ROOT directory.
There are a number of partitioning/booting/hard disk related utilities, and a few (OLD) Commercial softwares that do use some of the hidden sectors to store data, thus it is possible that a conflict arises in a limited nuber of cases or that some data is overwritten.

A "fully" compatible solution "must" have the MBR squeezed in the first 512 bytes, something to try along this line:
http://www.boot-land...mbldr-t334.html

jaclaz

#10 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:45 AM

I remember one topic where Jaclaz mentioned his findings about specific MBR code by HP formatter that allows
successful boots on more systems (by skipping a checking) than the plain XP formatter.

Personnally, on my two laptops and on different USB keys:
- XP format FAT32 fails to boot (blinking cursor)
- HP USB format FAT32 fails to boot (message remove disk, press a key)

Note: for information without grub4dos MBR, my keys if formatted FAT16X (LBA enabled) with PetoUSB (codebeetle)
boot successfully.

So very interesting, thank you very much for your reply! :loleverybody:

#11 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:14 PM

A "fully" compatible solution "must" have the MBR squeezed in the first 512 bytes

Really very interesting: I've learned something of very interesting, thank you so much! :loleverybody:

P. S.: it's only just a bit out my actual horizons :w00t:, but I'm shure that a day will come in which it will be useful to me! :w00t:
Finally, and excuse sincerely my naivety, I asked myself about the importance to format in FAT32 rather than in FAT my Philips USB 512MB Flash Drive and I din't found a reason... :w00t:

#12 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:48 PM

http://www.boot-land...mbldr-t334.html[/url]

jaclaz

OK, but I just tried it but it shows only the existing fixed USB hard disk(s), and not USB key. So it is impossible to write the MBR to the key using it.
HP-USB utility for example show both fixed (HDD) and removable (key) USB disks.

#13 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

Finally, and excuse sincerely my naivety, I asked myself about the importance to format in FAT32 rather than in FAT my Philips USB 512MB Flash Drive and I din't found a reason... :loleverybody:

For small key (512 MB) FAT16 is OK. For big key (> 2 GB), FAT32 is better since there is less waste due to smaller cluster size.
So when you have a lot of small files, they take more disk space on FAT16 disk than on FAT32 one.

#14 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:56 PM

OK, but I just tried it but it shows only the existing fixed USB hard disk(s), and not USB key. So it is impossible to write the MBR to the key using it.
HP-USB utility for example show both fixed (HDD) and removable (key) USB disks.

Yep, but since it can install to an image too....:loleverybody:

jaclaz

#15 online

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 767 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:35 PM

For small key (512 MB) FAT16 is OK. For big key (> 2 GB), FAT32 is better since there is less waste due to smaller cluster size.
So when you have a lot of small files, they take more disk space on FAT16 disk than on FAT32 one.

:loleverybody:

#16 Alexei

Alexei

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:11 AM

A "fully" compatible solution "must" have the MBR squeezed in the first 512 bytes, something to try along this line:
http://www.boot-land...mbldr-t334.html
jaclaz

To be precise :loleverybody:
MBR is always in the first 512 bytes, but the bootstrap code (located in the MBR) may use sectors that don't "belong" to any partition on the disk, especially, sectors next to MBR (on the same cylinder) because partitions are supposed to begin on the cylinder boundary, so those sectors are unused anyway.
Before Vista, OS developers have commonly acceptable rule not to use any sectors out of their partitions to allow multi-boot. MBR was kind of "community property" and everybody considered a good manner not to override existing MBR, unless user explicitely required that. Not that MS began writing HDD signature to the MBR, but it completely ignored this rule with Vista. :w00t: And all those troubles to prevent us from doing what we want, like they really can stop us :w00t:
:w00t:
Alexei
PS
FUMS.com is for sale for $4625, but you can still get FU-MS.com :w00t:

#17 raul

raul

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:40 AM

Hi, thanks for the script. I have a Sony USB 1GB disk that I am convinced is a fake. However it boots dos and XP and so I thought I would try VistaPE too.

The disk was formatted as indicated in Vista, with diskpart and fat32 and the script was run from my XP ntfs installation. Unfortunately it would boot but VistaPE would not load and give an error, 'Status:0xc000000d, Info: the boot selection failed because a required device was inaccessible.

I tried everything to debug this from playing with the bios settings to trying to edit the bcd file in the usb stick which is a touch task and doing everything suggested in the 911cd board where people have run into similar problems trying to boot VistaPE from a USB stick.

In the end I made it work but I had to reformat the stick in Vista with ntfs and not fat32, and run the script from Vista and not XP. Out of these 2, ie whether the ntfs filesystem on the stick or running the script from Vista I'm not sure which made it work but now I can boot VistaPE from the stick.

#18 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:10 PM

In the end I made it work but I had to reformat the stick in Vista with ntfs and not fat32, and run the script from Vista and not XP. Out of these 2, ie whether the ntfs filesystem on the stick or running the script from Vista I'm not sure which made it work but now I can boot VistaPE from the stick.

From what i know about Vista, i would say, running the script from Vista is what did the trick.

:loleverybody:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users