#27 risolutore

risolutore

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 311 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:54 PM

SmartWIM.dll it's possible to use a free replacement? Is there any feature that is hidden that this product is able to do that is impossible with the standard Wim api? I don't know please explain me, On the siite I have seen that this product is still in beta, as for the vdk toolkit, I didn't downloaded but if you can suggest I will do

#28 martinr

martinr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:36 PM

SmartWIM.dll it's possible to use a free replacement? Is there any feature that is hidden that this product is able to do that is impossible with the standard Wim api? I don't know please explain me, On the siite I have seen that this product is still in beta, as for the vdk toolkit, I didn't downloaded but if you can suggest I will do

Sorry to be late in replying, but I have been away.

The new version of SmartWIM is free to use, but not on a commercial basis.

It uses wimgapi.dll for its various functions. I think that it also does some things which wimgapi doesn't. It has CreateMaster and CreateDelta methods, which create SmartWIM image groups consisting of wim files and also resource-only rwm files. I have not used these personally.

As far as I know, SmartWIM is not in beta.

SmartVDK is a separate product which uses its own driver to interact with virtual hard disks. It is in beta, but I have not tried it.

#29 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:13 PM

Hi martinr,

I have been trying various alternative methods to get mount support for the wimgapi Apps in an online WinPE 2.0... eg 'drvload ... wimfltr.inf' - with no luck.

I just now came across this post: 'adding mount support to PE', suggesting 'rundll32 ... wimfltr.inf', and it seems to work OK.

Have you ever tested it as an alternative to your method? ... just wondering if there are any pitfalls that you might know of, considering the MS statement in the 'Windows PE Users Guide':

Important:
Mounting an image in Windows PE is not supported. To edit an image in Windows PE, use the /apply option.

#30 martinr

martinr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:57 PM

@ allanf

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 xyz.inf
is of course the standard method of installing an inf file, and is the way with which Windows Explorer deals with installations. It copies over the necessary driver files and makes the required registry entries.

It should work fine in a WinPE environment, if added to startnet.cmd or whatever. However, the installation will be done at run-time.

Using VistaPE, it is arguably better to do the installation (file copying and registry entries) at build-time. That was the method which I used in WIMMaster, by putting the relevant entries into the VistaPE script. Both methods should however work equally well, as you seem to have found.

The statement from Microsoft may just be caution on their part. To say that mounting in WinPE is "not supported" does not necessarily mean that it doesn't work. Other people do seem to be using it, and it worked for me, albeit with limited testing. I guess that the answer is to do exhaustive testing of your own in the context in which you expect to be working, or alternatively go the /apply route.

:thumbsup:

#31 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:23 PM

Both methods should however work equally well, as you seem to have found.

Yes. I have just discovered that the results seem practically identical (from a novice's inspection of WinPe's registry), under either method of installing the driver - the offline (build-time) and the online (runtime). Great!

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

#32 aacajo

aacajo
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:53 AM

Sorry to resurface a old thread but I came across it on google. It appears all the links are dead for the BartPE gimagex plugin. Does someone have an up to date plugin that I can use with BartPE that adds usage for gimagex?

Thanks in advance!

#33 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10549 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:07 AM

Hi,

We moved to a new server some time ago and Martin's domain got inactivated.

I've restored all files and you should now be able to download what you need.

Look here:
http://martin.boot-l...hp?dir=Gimagex/

:lol:

#34 aacajo

aacajo
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:16 PM

you're amazing i love you :lol:

#35 Ginolard

Ginolard
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:58 AM

Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm wondering if the OP can help me.

I am also trying to use SmartWIM in a VB.NET app. The slight difference is that I am writing a console app to create a Volume Shadow Set of the C: drive, assign a drive letter to it and then use SmartWIM to take an image of it.

Now, what's completely stumping me is that using the SmartWIM.VBS works perfectly well. The image is created. However, when trying to use the SmartWim.DLL with VB.NET the image file is not created. Well, actually, it creates a 1KB WIM file but then doesn't start creating the image. The EXE stays running using 1-2% CPU but does not appear to actually be doing anything

This is my code

Dim ResultCode As SmartWIMLib.swcError
objSmartWim.File = "X:\" + My.Computer.Name + "_SmartWIM_CDrive.wim"
objSmartWim.Image = "TEST"
objSmartWim.Path = "K:\"
objSmartWim.Temp = "X:\"
objSmartWim.
ResultCode = objSmartWim.CaptureImage(True)
MsgBox(objSmartWim.GetErrorDescription(ResultCode))
objSmartWim = Nothing

The K: drive is the virtual drive assigned to the Volume Shadow of C:

X: is a mapped drive, naturally.

#36 martinr

martinr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:54 AM

@Ginolard

Sorry to say that VB.NET is not my strong suit.

Your code doesn't seem to have much to go wrong, and SmartWim.dll works in other programming languages, so your problem may relate to the way you have installed the dll.

You will find some useful documentation here:
http://www.smartdepl.../docs/smartwim/

If you go to the Installation section of Getting Started, you will find advice about adding a Reference and Interop.SmartWim.dll.

Hope that you get it fixed!

#37 Ginolard

Ginolard
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for the reply. It turns out it was my own impatience. I decided to leave the exe running and after 40 minutes it started taking the image. I can only assume that it's doing some sort of pre-scan (like IMageX does) and this is why it takes so long. It's a pity that you can't disable this pre-scan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users