14 replies to this topic

#1 toshi

toshi
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Japan

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:05 AM

I created a VistaPE CD and it ran normally, but I have an issue about file sharing between VistaPE PCs.
I use PENetCfg ver.2.30 for starting network, setting IP address and mapping network drive, but I can't start only "File Sharing".
When I start "File Sharing" from PENetCfg after confirming to get the proper IP address from DHCP, the message "Unable to start File Sharing" appears and I can't share the file and folders.

Anybody, could you please help me!

My VistaPE environment:
- WinBuilder ver is 072
- Script Ver is 009 beta
- PENetCfg ver is 2.30 (both Eng ver and International ver)
- Source Vista DVD is Ultimate production version

#2 booty#1

booty#1

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 285 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:15 PM

Hi Toshi.

It looks like you are the first one who tried this feature under VistaPE (or the first who reported that it is broken).

I think the problem is that PeNetCfg was written for XP based bootable environments, not for VistaPE.

When clicking the "Start Sharing" button PenetCfg class in the background the following command:
netcfg.exe -i X:\Windows\inf\netserv.inf -c s -i ms_server

The problem is that under VistaPE there is no X:\Windows\inf\netserv.inf and therefore the file sharing can not start.
In my original Vista installation this file is present so may be only this file (and may be some other) are missing.

booty#1

#3 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:31 PM

1. Check if you use PeNetCFg version 2.30. Iit was written for PE2.0
2. Tell the Truth about the problem, he's waiting for a bug report for ages now! :loleverybody:

:w00t:

#4 toshi

toshi
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Japan

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:37 PM

I think the problem is that PeNetCfg was written for XP based bootable environments, not for VistaPE.

The problem is that under VistaPE there is no X:\Windows\inf\netserv.inf and therefore the file sharing can not start.
In my original Vista installation this file is present so may be only this file (and may be some other) are missing.

booty#1

Thanks booty#1,

I ensured that netserv.inf is in my Vista PC but it isn't in my VistaPE environment.
Though, I don't beleave PENetCfg isn't for PE2.0 because I found it in this VistaPE forum.

I would like to share the folders on VistaPE machine with the machine booted by W2k, WinXP and Vista.
Could you please let me know how can I do it if you know the other way.

Toshi

#5 toshi

toshi
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Japan

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:04 PM

1. Check if you use PeNetCFg version 2.30. Iit was written for PE2.0
2. Tell the Truth about the problem, he's waiting for a bug report for ages now! :loleverybody:

:w00t:

Thanks MedEvil,

Download PENetCfg from http://www.geocities..... Configurator.
Download the scripts from http://vistape.boot-land.net/beta
Run WinBuilder 072 with the above scripts and Vista Ultimate Japanese version DVD on my WinXP machine
Complete WB without any error and boot PC by this VistaPE CD
Select BS Explorer as default shell
Run PENetCfg from the program menu
Get IP address from DHCP and comfirmed it is correct
Run FireFox and confirm to browse Internet
Map the folder on the other pc as network drive via "Network Drive" tab on PENetCfg
Show the file sharing window via "File Sharing" tab on PENetCfg
Set Admin Account to "Administrator" (default)
Set Password and Confirm to "admin", then Click Set Password button
-->Show "Operation Completed Successfully"
Click Start Sharing button
-->Show "Unable to start File Sharing" message

I checked the last step on MS Virtual PC 2007 on my vista PC now.
I got the different error message, "Cannot find the file "srvsvc.dll" under the "System32" folder. This file is required to start "File Sharing" service."
I confirmed this file is not in X:\windows\system32 on my VistaPE environment.

This is the details of my trouble.
Could you please let me know what kind of information do you need if you want more.

toshi

#6 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:48 PM

I got the different error message, "Cannot find the file "srvsvc.dll" under the "System32" folder. This file is required to start "File Sharing" service."
I confirmed this file is not in X:\windows\system32 on my VistaPE environment.

This file is copied when you include the mmc script.

Workaround:
Search for this line in mmc.script and copy the line into any reasonable active script of your project.
(Or, what is easier, include the mmc script)

@NightMan: That is a design issue: You should copy the file too, if there is something with network and /or PENetCfg

Peter

#7 booty#1

booty#1

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 285 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:04 AM

Ok, I modified penetcfg.script to copy netserv.inf from the Vista DVD to VistaPE. Now the commandline with netcfg succeeds:
"X:\Windows\System32\netcfg.exe" -l X:\windows\inf\netserv.inf -c s -i ms_serverTrying to install ms_server ......done.

But penetcfg still says that file sharing could not be started.

booty#1

#8 wade

wade
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 02:17 AM

Hi Toshi.

It looks like you are the first one who tried this feature under VistaPE (or the first who reported that it is broken).

When clicking the "Start Sharing" button PenetCfg class in the background the following command:

booty#1

Have you been able to figure this out? I am basically at the same stopping point and could use a kick start.

#9 SaRCy

SaRCy
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:18 PM

This issue still definately exists.

I am running VistaPE 10, and on the standard build the following files appear to be missing...

srvsvc.dll
netserv.inf

Both of which I have now added, to no avail.

Running netcfg.exe -l X:\Windows\inf\netserv.inf -c s -i ms_server on the machine, fails the first time but then appears to work, however that is not the case. The "Server" service which is required for File Sharing is not installed, and not running, and PENetCFG can not start file sharing.

The WinPE 2.0 guide for PENetCFG suggests that two registry settings need adding but they appear to be in the latest script, as does the "missing" file that is mentioned.

1- From a working Windows Vista machine:
- Copy %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\tcpipreg.sys to the corresponding folder under your Windows PE 2.0 build.

2- Export the following Registry keys (include subkeys) and import them into your build's Registry:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpipreg]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_TCPIPREG]

This is a temporary solution though till I get more time to port the code to utilize the new Vista TCP/IP stack.

As mentioned above these steps appear to have already been completed, or at least the file and registry keys exist in the 2.32 script.

It could be that I am still missing something, but has anyone actually seen File Sharing with VistaPE working? Maybe I don't need it for what I am doing, but I think that perhaps I do.

I am using Ghost 8.0 to Image one machine, directly to another machine. Both of the Machines in question are booted in to VistaPE but they can't see each other, not even to ping. However they can ping a third machine on the network, which in turn can not ping them either. Maybe the issue here is something other than file sharing, but I can't think what else it could be, any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

SaRCy

#10 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

This issue still definately exists.

I am running VistaPE 10, and on the standard build the following files appear to be missing...

srvsvc.dll
netserv.inf

Both of which I have now added, to no avail.

Running netcfg.exe -l X:\Windows\inf\netserv.inf -c s -i ms_server on the machine, fails the first time but then appears to work, however that is not the case. The "Server" service which is required for File Sharing is not installed, and not running, and PENetCFG can not start file sharing.

The WinPE 2.0 guide for PENetCFG suggests that two registry settings need adding but they appear to be in the latest script, as does the "missing" file that is mentioned.

As mentioned above these steps appear to have already been completed, or at least the file and registry keys exist in the 2.32 script.

It could be that I am still missing something, but has anyone actually seen File Sharing with VistaPE working? Maybe I don't need it for what I am doing, but I think that perhaps I do.

I am using Ghost 8.0 to Image one machine, directly to another machine. Both of the Machines in question are booted in to VistaPE but they can't see each other, not even to ping. However they can ping a third machine on the network, which in turn can not ping them either. Maybe the issue here is something other than file sharing, but I can't think what else it could be, any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

SaRCy

Have you tried disabling the firewall?

#11 steelbone

steelbone

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 126 posts
  •  
    Austria

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:58 PM

Hi guys,

behalf this topic.

i tried to get this damned service to start. i got this weeks ago

http://www.boot-land...amp;#entry21886

my little project was to fix and implementing missing services. for example "lanmanserver,browser...)

i've tryed to integrate sharing into the context menu, but i had less on time since my last post ;(

so my you interest i list all my files:

i checked the dependencys with process mon, and i think (it was little time ago *g*) the file "sscore.dll" was the last really missing file ;(

so my files at least:

--------system32: browser.dll,lanman.drv,netman.dll,netprof.dll,nlasvc.dll,samsrv.dll,sens.dll,
| shrpubw.exe,srvsvc.dll,sscore.dll
|
|-----------Drivers: srv2.sys,srv.sys,srvnet.sys
|
|-----------en:shrpubw.exe.mui
|
|-----------en-US: browser.dll.mui, netman.dll.mui,netprof.dll.mui,nlasvc.dll.mui,sens.dll.mui,
shrpubw.exe.mui,sscore.dll.mui

Regkeys i sent as attachment.

as you could see in my earlier post i made it to start.

but i didn't finish my plan to integrate to contextmenu, behalf less on time ;(

but i share this with you all, and i please you all if anybody knows reasons, solutions - POST IT :cheers:

Next interesting points are: integration of Event-viewer (mmc-snap in's)

regards steel

Attached Files

#12 wade

wade
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:27 PM

Can you actually share a drive out within the PE Environment now or is the server service just reporting that it is started?

#13 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:59 AM

steelbone

Hello! I try make script with your solution, it's work, but context menu is not work :cheers: Can you help?

Attached File  share.script   44.91KB   491 downloads

:cheers:

#14 steelbone

steelbone

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 126 posts
  •  
    Austria

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:02 PM

Hi nightman,

sry for my late respond. i've lot do do in the moment ;(

yes i know. this point is outstandig, and i hoped to fix it until yet. but i could'nt ;( less on time. ;(
but christmas time is near :cheers: there i will have time to play around :cheers:

so i have to set the new versions of vistape to familiar. >10 ist not so family to me in the moment. there are too much aliases for me and on first look not clearly to me - don't know whats behind the aliases. (yes i know. on the vistape-page this is documented- but soooo boring looking for that ;( *g*)

Could i use all the old Syntaxes? they was more family to me and clearlier :cheers:

best regards

Steelbone

#15 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:13 PM

Could i use all the old Syntaxes? they was more family to me and clearlier

yes, you can, but very cautiously :cheers:

ps you can send it to my email and i try rewrite all with API functions :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users