• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 apocalipsis

apocalipsis

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:10 PM

Hello,

Finally I've succeded to build my first VistaPE image from the VirtualPC2007 under x86 Windows Vista Ultimate .6000RTM. Now, booting resulting image from the VirtualPC2007, and after curtains there is a wonderful blue screen.

The only search result from google on this query leads to this forum's topic, where this symptom was briefly discussed. So, now I know, where are all the people, who really rule this world ;-) But I wonder, if my problem interfers with budmanwv's experiences : all my partitions are NTFS-formatted, and my WinBuilder base dir is not too complex : "C:\VistaPE". How do you think, what can make the VistaPE image corrupted in such way?

Hm + one interesting moment : I've built nearly 10 images of the same project, and every time the images' sizes are a couple of kilobytes different...

Thanks,
Mae

Attached Thumbnails

• BlueScreen.jpg

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.zip   65.06KB   437 downloads

#2 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:42 AM

Finally I've succeded to build my first VistaPE image from the VirtualPC2007 under x86 Windows Vista Ultimate .6000RTM. Now, booting resulting image from the VirtualPC2007, and after curtains there is a wonderful blue screen.

Hello again. :yahoo:

Three things to test:

1. In WinBuilder, "Scripts" tab, expand "Build" and click "1 - Copy Files". In the interface, select "files to copy: full". This will copy the entire contents of boot.wim to your image, rather than selective copyfiles used in "files to copy: standard".

2. Your attached Log shows that you are building VistaPE from the WAIK boot.wim only. Some Scripts, such as "explorerv.script" and "penetcfg.script" require a Vista DVD Source (install.wim). If you would prefer Vista DVD as the source, it may be better to copy the entire contents of the Vista DVD to your Hard-Drive (Virtual) and set the "Source directory (%SourceDir%)" accordingly. For example "c:\<vista_dvd>".

3. What boot method have you tried?
a. Burning the ISO to CD, and Resetting (Rebooting) the Virtual Machine with the CD inserted.
b. Capturing the ISO from WinBuilder's "ISO" folder and Resetting the Virtual Machine.
c. Other.

#3 apocalipsis

apocalipsis

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:00 PM

Hello, allanf

3. What boot method have you tried?
a. Burning the ISO to CD, and Resetting (Rebooting) the Virtual Machine with the CD inserted.
b. Capturing the ISO from WinBuilder's "ISO" folder and Resetting the Virtual Machine.
c. Other.

b. I've tried to boot with VistaPE image the VirtualPC2007 and WMware Workstation 6 (same blue screen).

1. In WinBuilder, "Scripts" tab, expand "Build" and click "1 - Copy Files". In the interface, select "files to copy: full". This will copy the entire contents of boot.wim to your image, rather than selective copyfiles used in "files to copy: standard".

Ok, I've selected "full" copy, image became larger ~ 180mb, but the blue screen is the same (log_fullfilecopy.zip).
Switching to wimUtil in preconfig makes booting to interrupt after curtains : no blue screen, but machine silently goes on reboot (log_wimUtil.zip).

2. Your attached Log shows that you are building VistaPE from the WAIK boot.wim only. Some Scripts, such as "explorerv.script" and "penetcfg.script" require a Vista DVD Source (install.wim). If you would prefer Vista DVD as the source, it may be better to copy the entire contents of the Vista DVD to your Hard-Drive (Virtual) and set the "Source directory (%SourceDir%)" accordingly. For example "c:\<vista_dvd>".

Ok, I've copied the "\sourse\x86\" to the "C:\VISTA_DVD" and changed the source path to it. Same blue screen after build&boot.

I'm in a loss :yahoo:

Attached Files

#4 apocalipsis

apocalipsis

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:24 PM

OK, I'm in, it is booted!

I have turned off some additional stuff in project : explorer, net, ...
Now, I will try to digg, what is causing that problem.

#5 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:37 AM

Well done.

From your log_fullfilecopy, it looked like there may have been a mix up with the path to the "Source Directory". I cannot be sure.

In WinBuilder => "Scripts" Tab => "Paths" Tab => "Source Directory (%SourceDir%)" Box, you may have three options:

1. "D:\sources\x86" when you have the Vista DVD inserted into the CD/DVD Drive. (I think that previously, it was enough to specify "D:\" because x86 and x64 were on separate DVDs.)

2. "C:\VistaDVD" if you have copied the contents of Vista DVD "..\x86\" to Hard-Drive "C:\VistaDVD".

3. For Windows AIK, specify "%SourceDir%" for WinBuilder to find "%SourceDir%\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\%SysType%\winpe.wim". For example "C:\Program Files". WinBuilder should automatically determine the architecture of the system, "%SysType%" - x64 or x86 - by searching to see if "%WindowsDir%\SysWOW64" exists. Note that it mounts the backup copy of the WAIK "winpe.wim" rather than the customizable images found at - for example - "C:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim" and "C:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim".

Note also that WinBuilder will automatically search for and mount the "%ProgramFilesDir%\Windows#$sAIK\Tools\PETools\%SysType%\winpe.wim" if it cannot find the specified Vista DVD Source. This seems to have been what happened in the case of log_fullfilecopy - the "%SourceDir%" was invalid, so it default to the installed WAIK "winpe.wim".

Again, I cannot be sure. But it is very interesting. :yahoo:

#6 apocalipsis

apocalipsis

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:55 PM

1. "D:\sources\x86" when you have the Vista DVD inserted into the CD/DVD Drive. (I think that previously, it was enough to specify "D:\" because x86 and x64 were on separate DVDs.)

My Vista DVD is a strange one. It contains both x86 and x64 archs versions, moreover, it contains all editions (Buisness, Home, Ulimate, etc.). I have burned it myself on a single-layered dvd (so, its capacity is 4.33Gb), but when browsing this dvd, I've found out, that it contains directories, whoose sizes are more, than 8Gb! = What's the trick? = I think, some wise man performed special thing in .iso image structure: no doubt, intallations contain simular files, so maybe multiple records in the dvd's file system refer to the same physical track on it. :yahoo:

Attached Thumbnails

• dvd.jpg

#7 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:41 PM

apocalipsis,

I am out of ideas.

You have tried selecting "WimUtil" as the tool for WIM Management - in "Scripts" tab, expand "Build, and click "0 - Preconfig" to show the interface.

Also imagex has a numer of command-line options to use from the WAIK PE Tools Command Prompt - such as:

imagex /info e&#58;\sources\x86\sources\boot.wim 1 /check

"Returns the stored XML descriptions for the specified .wim file, including but not limited to the total file size, the image index number, the directory count, file count, and a description."

And, "/check ... Checks the integrity of the .wim file. If not provided, existing checks are removed."

See the WAIK Documentation.

Are we still in VirtualPC 2007?

There is a driver that needs to be installed. It installed automatically the first time I ran something or other in WAIK. (I can't remember what element of WAIK it was.) It is called "Windows Imaging File System Filter (WIM FS Filter) driver". If you have used imagex to successfully mount a wim file, the driver should be installed.

But it may be something simple that is being overlooked.

#8 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:47 PM

For the record:

My Vista DVD is a strange one. It contains both x86 and x64 archs versions, moreover, it contains all editions (Buisness, Home, Ulimate, etc.).

Well, no, all VISTA DVD contain all editions, though normally x86 and x64 version are separated.

I think, some wise man performed special thing in .iso image structure: no doubt, intallations contain simular files, so maybe multiple records in the dvd's file system refer to the same physical track on it.

Good guess :yahoo:, actually nothing really special, it is a possibility of ISO filesystem, it can be done in mkisofs.exe using the "duplicate once" switch or with the "Microsoft Tool", previously called cdimage.exe and now oscdimg.exe:
http://www.betaone.n...php?t-1292.html

jaclaz

#9 apocalipsis

apocalipsis

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:40 PM

Good guess , actually nothing really special, it is a possibility of ISO filesystem, it can be done in mkisofs.exe using the "duplicate once" switch or with the "Microsoft Tool", previously called cdimage.exe and now oscdimg.exe

Wow :) Thanks, now I know the secret :yahoo:

Finally, there is a working solution, a bit brutal :)
1) bash file mount.install.win.bat :
cd &#34;C&#58;\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\&#34;

imagex / mount C&#58;\VISTA_DVD\sources\x86\sources\install.wim 1 C&#58;\VistaPE\Temp\VistaPE\InstallWimSrc
and launch this before I start building VistaPE project.
2) rem line 20 in exporerv.script :
rem If,&#34;%SourceType%&#34;,NotEqual,&#34;VistaCD&#34;,Exit,&#34;Request Windows Vista DVD...&#34;
I think, it works perfectly (log included - no warn about explorer, it successfuly copied its files). But, supplying source path with same path, "C:\VISTA_DVD\", "C:\VISTA_DVD\sources\",
"C:\VISTA_DVD\sources\x86\", ... doesn't work anyway - nothing is mounted to InstallWimSrc. Strange, because in preconfig script we can find a very simular line 88:
ShellExecute,Hide,&#34;#$q%IMAGEX%#$q&#34;,&#34;/mount #$q%SDIR%\sources\intall.wim#$q 1 #$q%Installsrc#$q
As long, as it doesn't work, I'm ramming %SourceType% determining in explorerv.script.
So, there might be a problem with scripts or... don't know, scripts browsing is hard for a newbie :)

Well, I think, not bad at all :))
Thank you for your assistance, guys.

Attached Files

#10 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:30 PM

Well! I'm impressed!

:yahoo:

#11 dontz

dontz
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:02 PM

hi apocalipsis, what's the conclusion?
i get same blue screen issue now

#12 lurch

lurch
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:37 AM

howdy all!

ok, i am starting to get pissed off.. I am having these BSOD screens in just the opposite manner..

I have been working on this constantly for 4 days now with no end in site unless i find out whats going on and how to fix the problem. when i say i am having the same BSOD screens in the opposite manner, this is what i mean: Virtual box, Qemu, and M$ Virtual PC all give me a bootable system, startup fine, loads desktop fine, even launches programs, all fine, never one time have i gotten the blue screen in a virtual environment..

HOWEVER, burn the ISO to disk, reboot system, press any key to boot from cd or dvd ..... , i get the first flash screen with the boot logo and BAM! BSOD from hell. its a stop error with a bunch of letters and number.. the past 10 boots have all been different stop error numbers.

at first i thought maybe they were bunk dvd's, after 25+ dvd's and BSOD's i have concluded its NOT the blank media. SOOOO, i have changed some hardware, dvd drives, usb drives, different computers, unplugged hard drives, changed ram.. nothing has made a bit of difference.. i can make some hell of nice BSOD dvd-discs but nothing useable.

so before the question gets asked:

my PC is a hodgepodge of crap. 3.0ghz p4, 2gb ram, 4 hard drives 2 dvd-/+rw drives. this machine is mostly for work not play. BUT i do have some play toys:

hdd1 is sata 320gb, partitioned out to 25gb fat32 windows XPsp2, the rest is ntfs (this is where i am running winbuilder from)
hdd2 is eide 120gb, partitioned out to 25gb ntfs windows 2000sp4, the rest is ntfs (also copy of winbuilder)
hdd3 is eide 80gb, partitioned out to 60gb ntfs windows Vista (also copy of winbuilder), the rest is fat32 (yet another copy of winbuilder)
hdd4 is eide 80gb, partitioned and used for dual booting 2 different versions of linux with a 40gb ext3 partition at the end of the drive with yet another copy of winbuilder (attemped to run under linux with wine with bad results)

dvd-/+rw1 is eide asus with light scribe
dvd-/+rw2 is sata asus with light scribe

i have 2 usb dvd-writers and 7 external usb hard drives of varying brands and sizes not used for anything but backups(all external drives are powered off or unplugged when not in use)

i am using winbuilder(newest release). WB is run from the first NTFS partion 97% of the time using windows xp, trying to build a vistape cd. windows vista retail and vista ultimate iso's have both been used mounted in nero's image drive as well as alcohol 120 image drive and microsoft image drive. YES i have changed the path accordingly when iso are mounded to different drive letters, Windows AIK is installed and the path is correct. i get 1 build error from time to time and its the same when i get it. unable to delete a file in the temp directory.

i have also tried to build vistape without any plugins as well as with plugins, apps, and no apps, i have made a slimmed down version that only boots to a command prompt in virtual box but it too blue screens when burned to dvd/cd

i have tried different versions of winbuilder. different brands of media, different computers, the only constant is the user (ME) and i seriously doubt (although it is a possability) that I am th problem.

if any body has any suggestions differently that what i have tried, please tell me, i am open to anything at this point. once the basic system is up and running i will have some more questions, mostly related to creating shortcuts in the start menu and how to force a drive letter. i do not want to build PE with all the apps i need to use on CD, but rather on a USB thumbdrive, i need to force the thumb drive to be something like maybe drive letter Z: each and everytime it boots without change. i want shortcuts in the startmenu for apps on the thumbdrive or at the very least i want some apps on the cd with working directories for virus definitions and program updates to be on the thumbdrive. (prefer first option). i have tested where to place files so they are on the desktop and the startmenu but cant place files in the quick launch in shell explorer to work.

I AM ALL EARS! suggestions please.

thanks lurch

#13 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:17 AM

@lurch

My initial feeling is that it could be a mass storage driver issue. That is, your PE doesn't have the necessary driver for your particular controller (but it does for the 'virtual' hardware). Blue screens at the start of the gui are generally this issue. I don't use VistaPE personally, so you will have to determine how to get the particular driver you need installed into your PE build.

Today I actually finished an updatable mass storage drivers script using the DriverPacks mass storage drivers, but it's only able to be used on nativeEx-based projects. If you want, you could download LiveXP and see if you get access to your drives as my script comes with that project. It does require you to download a couple of files from the DriverPacks site and to click 'Build', so it's not entirely automated, but it shouldn't be hard to see what is required.

Regards,
Galapo.

#14 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:20 PM

Galapo
VistaPE have all LAN and SATA/RAID/SCSI drivers for latest DriverPacks :cheers:

lurch
very interesting... Windows Vista working good on your computer? Can you test VistaPE 008 and (or) standard WinPE 2.0 (from WAIK)?

#15 lurch

lurch
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:17 AM

@lurch

My initial feeling is that it could be a mass storage driver issue. That is, your PE doesn't have the necessary driver for your particular controller (but it does for the 'virtual' hardware). Blue screens at the start of the gui are generally this issue. I don't use VistaPE personally, so you will have to determine how to get the particular driver you need installed into your PE build.

Today I actually finished an updatable mass storage drivers script using the DriverPacks mass storage drivers, but it's only able to be used on nativeEx-based projects. If you want, you could download LiveXP and see if you get access to your drives as my script comes with that project. It does require you to download a couple of files from the DriverPacks site and to click 'Build', so it's not entirely automated, but it shouldn't be hard to see what is required.

Regards,
Galapo.

Sadly i believe you are likely correct. i have made multiple boot disk using winbuilder with not sucess on a real machine. so i took your advice and downloaded all the bits to make a livexp with all the drivers that you mentioned and of coarse wouldnt you know it, WB cant even process the basic command to build me a cd, something about build4.script erroring out about a dozen times.. soooooo, i looked in my horde of cd's and dvd's and found an OLD very old one of the first bart pe cd's that i made a few years ago and guess what.. it boots.. i then decided that i may as well use the OEM waik stuff to process a winpe 2.0 disk with ONLY the m$ WAIK and guess what, IT too boots..

i have tried to make livexp and some other xp's using WB and some vistaPE's and none of them boot, so i am thinking that somewheer along the lines something is beeing ommited from the build process, again today i made another ISO using WB and took it to work and it wont boot there (sata dvd). so, either i need to manually add the drivers for mass storage to my iso or i need to process a vistape from scratch using the WAIK setup..

to be honest i think i would rather use the WAIK setup for this but do not have the time to learn how to make it build custom ISO's as well as how to add apps or dll's or anything else.. yes the command prompt will o all that i reallty need to do but i dont like it.. i want the purdy explorer and the possablity to point and click my self to death.

with that being said (and i still have to read nightmans post and reply) anybody got any more ideas? how do i manually add drivers to the already existing ISO for mass storage or how do i make a new script containing the new added drivers? any why is the minimal, no added stuff, just the build and finalize scripts, creating an iso that is nearly 600mb? my WAIK iso is only 183mb?

Still all ears. thanks for the suggestions, i believe the driver issue to be the issue, need to cure the issue now.

lurch

#16 lurch

lurch
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:35 AM

Galapo
VistaPE have all LAN and SATA/RAID/SCSI drivers for latest DriverPacks :cheers:

lurch
very interesting... Windows Vista working good on your computer? Can you test VistaPE 008 and (or) standard WinPE 2.0 (from WAIK)?

Yes i have just now, tested winpe 2.0 from WAIK and it boots.

thanks

#17 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:09 AM

so i took your advice and downloaded all the bits to make a livexp with all the drivers that you mentioned and of coarse wouldnt you know it, WB cant even process the basic command to build me a cd, something about build4.script erroring out about a dozen times..

I just became aware of this issue today. The file was a corrupted upload and has been reuploaded to the server.

Regards,
Galapo.

#18 lurch

lurch
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:23 AM

I just became aware of this issue today. The file was a corrupted upload and has been reuploaded to the server.

Regards,
Galapo.

OK downloaded new livexp scripts and still having issues, build wont complete sucessfully, which is fine cause a really wanted a vistape project.

but the good news is, i found an older 069 beta2 on one of the websites which is working for me, using some of the older scripts i now have a bootable vista cd, there are only a couple plugins that i have tried but it boots and thats what i was after. i have tried to swap a few of the newer plugins with some of the older plugins with minimal success. i really like the true explorer shell, the newer explorer shell works but i dont like the start menu.. the older shell works i do like the start menu but the quick launch doesnt work.. i think i am probably being picky at this point, maybe a few days pf tweaking the scripts will get me a happy medium between the two.

i dont know what was happening with the new WB to make it not boot, or maybe it was skipping over some files or something. maybe its me.? could be.

i will try again later with the newer WB and some of the older scripts, i like the newer WB better than the 069 beta2, some of the functionality is better. the one thing i do like about 069 beta2 is the ability to watch the log file as the project builds to see when and where its erroring if any. maybe this can be added back into the next WB ? just a thought.

i will keep you updated on the results of the different versions and see if i cant find out exactly what is happening, might be a matter of comparing logs to se what files are skipped and what is copied.

one more thing before i head to the office. WB 069beta2 builds a

#19 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10549 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:36 AM

You can still look on the log while wb is running - the logs tab was only moved as a sub-section of the scripts tab but all functionality is still there.

There is also a new thing about 073 - it will call up the log window whenever any error is found.

-------

Sounds like you have most steps (and a few more) that most developers here would also do to get things working.

Have you also tried the latest beta from Nightman?

Add this webserver on the list inside the download center:

vistape.net/beta

Good luck! :cheers:

#20 lurch

lurch
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:01 AM

There is also a new thing about 073 - it will call up the log window whenever any error is found.

Have you also tried the latest beta from Nightman?

I have downloaded and now used 073, this is a nice feature. i have proceeded to make a few more blue screen coasters, so i decided to try something different that has made less blue screens, but more coasters.

i have downloaded and extracted the 073 beta, which is a nice version, i like the look and feel of it. seems like less drag on the host when running it. i downloaded the 'base' and deleted all the projects directory. using the download feature i added vistape.com/beta as Nuno Brito has suggested and downloaded only beta content, I only downloaded the 'tools' and the build scripts listed as 1-6, and the build ISO scrip.

this has produced positive results. i have created a bootable cd that is minimal in size, and most importantly, doesnt blue screen. i have now tested it in 4 different machines with positive results all around. the way i am proceeding is to download ONE and only ONE additional script at a time, delete the tmp, iso, and target directories and then re-build the the ISO. then burn and boot, and repeat. d/l, build, burn, boot, and repeat. after about the 8th cd or so, i am still meeting satisfactory results.

while you and many others will likely agree with me this is a laborious task that wastes time and blank media, i will gladly say that the end result if i can ever reach it will be meet with pride and glee.

i only have about 90 more build,burn,boot,and repeat sessions to go before i am as close as i wish i already was.

good job with the scripts and software, keep it up, look forward to the next stable/beta release.

since nightman and Nuno see to be the most prominent names i have seen when referencing anything related to vista PE, and both are following this thread, i will ask my question here. if it needs to be moved elsewhere please let me know and i will ask elsewhere.

i really want to force PE to recognize my usb thumbdrive as drive letter Z. is this possible and i so how? i have created some desktop and start menu shortcuts to point to programs that are present on the thumbdrive. rather than update the cd on a daily or even weekly basis i would rather have PE recognize my thumbdrive as Z:\ , copy my programs and the updates to the thumbdrive and have everything work all honky dory in his fashion. i have wondered if naming a drive in windows properties to something/anything will prompt windows to assign the drive letter based on the name with no such luck.

also along the lines as that subject goes, some scripts for some programs install desktop and start menu shortcuts to PE ISO. i would like to remove the shortcuts, is there such a file that i can edit that will allow me to change which shortcuts are enable, created or removed upon boot? I am using the explorer shell.

thanks for the words of encouragement.

lurch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users