[app script] Chess

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:50 PM

File name: [app script] Chess

Description:
This script adds the popular Chess game. The program itself is an oldie from 1992, but I think the rules of chess itself haven't changed (yet).

Was made after being posted by llamedoso here.

:yahoo:

Download file

#2 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:10 PM

Dont know how to play chess. Thanks for the script.

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:59 PM

It's not very difficult - the board is divided in two factions.

You get two row of people that you can use - the first row are what we can consider as foot soldiers (pawns) and the second row is where you keep the VIP people.

Posted Image

These Pawns can only walk forward one case at a time, but whenever there's the possibility to defeat the enemy they move one diagonal case forward - unfortunatelly since they're pawns - they are also limited to only move forward towards certain danger. I use them mostly for defense of the of our side - but there's a bonus: a promotion occurs when a pawn clears across to the other side. In the same move when the pawn reaches a far square, it is removed and replaced with any chess piece, that is, except a second king.

More details on the second row..

The pieces on each corner are the towers (rook) - they are very mighty, but can only move up/down/left and right whenever these squares are available which is also a limitation.

Next to the tower comes the Knight - this one is cool because it can jump over everyone's head, but he always moves in L directions - meaning two squares in any direction and then he has to choose between the right or left square to finish his play (very unstable sometimes)

Quickly followed by the bishop - which is very similar to the tower but a bit more dangerous because it moves in the diagonal cases making it good to "sneak" on the oponent when least expected..

Last pieces left are the King and Queen

King is the piece you need to protect the most - otherwise you lose the game - to make things more dificult, it can only move a single square at any given time - good news is that you can do it in any direction.

The enemy pieces can always threat him (this is the time when the other person says something like "Check" to you), but as long as you have a safe square where you can escape this threat then you're off the hook. (for now)

Of course that to come in your aid there's the almighty queen - she combines the features of both tower and bishop meaning that she can move in any given direction (except L's like knights).

She's also placed right next to the king in the center of your second row making it a fundamental piece to keep your game nice and tidy, and just like most women - she'll surely do anything to keep his king away from troubles.

The game is only over when the king is trapped and cannot get away from a "check" condition - this is time when the person who applied this threat says something like "Check-Mate" and so the game finishes..

You can related chess to warcraft for a similar screenplay, this is a very good game once you get into the story.. :yahoo:

#4 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

Dont know how to play chess.

Hive, i hope you just forgot the smiley! :)

:yahoo:

#5 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:07 AM

Thanks for the lesson. Ill see if I ever have time to play it. Ill download this page for future reference. Thanks!

#6 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:09 AM

Up to very recently it was still a very popular game around here - we didn't had many computers and the few available all came with chess also..

We played it when kids in school - I think it's more fun when you play against some friend of yours. :yahoo:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users