5 replies to this topic

#1 mark_big_daddy

mark_big_daddy
  • Deactivated
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:44 AM

I'm not sure but I think I have a virus. For no reason my system Reboots itself and when it does the POST boot it comes up with some wierd code of somesort after the Primary hard drive and again on the Secondary Hard drive its like with "0$0$0$" and it has numbers before it and after it. I wrote it down but I left the paper at work, i will post it from work. I am a Tech and I have never seen anything like it before, its driving me crazy. Please Help.

mark_big_daddy :yahoo:

#2 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:30 AM

have you tried using a bootanle PE. From there you can go to one of the free online Antivirus Scanners and let it scan your Drives. They will tell you if you have a virus. I would recommend Panda, it seems to scan for other things also.

#3 Moon Goon

Moon Goon

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:28 PM

I don't need to tell you to run memory diags or HDD tests like MHDD.. right?

MHDD: http://hddguru.com/c...005.10.02-MHDD/

MS RAM Test:
http://www.softpedia...iagnostic.shtml

The weird 0$0$0$ thing is something I've never seen. Kinda reminds me of a corrupted bootstrap in Linux.

Resetting during your regular computing session could be anything. Could be the power supply and hard drives no longer liking eachother. Could be an IDE device causing problems on the bus. Could be memory issues. Could be a corrupted install of Windows.

If all else fails (including replacing the power supply) you can always back up your files from a WinPE disc and wipe the hard drive. I mean, low level wipe. If you just repartition and reformat there still could be some issues.

#4 mark_big_daddy

mark_big_daddy
  • Deactivated
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:08 PM

Here it is.

On the POST Boot Screen it looks like this:

Primary Master ST3504051E0$0$0$0$0$0$0$0$0$0$0$0$0$0$0$0$0$0$ 3.060$0$
Primary Slave ZTS$SORT>$PE\LQDYU]$]OTE:$P5240-2EV0$0$0$ ST05754E
Secondary Master CD rom
Secondary Slave None

And at that point it freezes and doesn't complete the boot. This is a used hard drive I got from a friend and I just put a fresh install of Windows XP.

mark_big_daddy

#5 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:05 PM

My tips would be, in the following order.
- Turn the computer off and unplug it for at least a minute. - See if that fixes the problem.
- Reset in BIOS the 'Configuration Data' also called ESCD. - See if that fixes the problem.
- Unplug the new drive and repeat the two points above before proceeding below.

- Flash the BIOS. And enable write protection this time. :)

:yahoo:

#6 Garfield

Garfield

• .script developer
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:pretty much everything
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:43 AM

My diagnosis is a faulty Ultra ATA133 IDE cable since both master and slave drives show the same garbled names...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users