• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Draugen

Draugen

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:56 PM

This project has gone a long way since Batcher. We now have boolean logic, simple mathemathic functions, and the ability to accept user input. Amongst a whole lot of other cool stuff.

However, i call time-out on the (major) feature addons. I suggest 'feature freeze' (or close to it), where bugs get squashed, and only bugs get squashed. Feature requests will be noted, and slated for the next release. When that release enters feature freeze, any requests after that is relegated to the NEXT release agian. and so on.

(the more observant people may notice that this is is a remarkably common release cycle in the F/OSS community. This is no coincidence, as it makes a great deal of sense.)

-----bug list last updated 2006-09-04
serious bugs:
- winbuilder.exe locks up when launching processes through 'ShellExecute'.

- The ui editor has issues when trying to edit the properties of the control you just edited. This only happens if you click the canvas in between edits. So: edit control -> click canvas -> edit control: error; edit control 1 -> edit control 2 -> edit control 1: works. The current workaround is to select another control (than the one you wish to edit) first.

- winbuilder's interface does not like a DPI setting of anything else than 96

not so serious:
- A lot of the strings need editing for accuracy and clarity. No offense, nuno, but you are very clearly not a native english speaker :P

- the "open" button did not have a bevel (in beta4)

- the interface does not follow Windows' native color scheme.

----------

a few bugs there. And they all annoy me :P I also have some suggestions regarding the interface in general, but that's not for this thread.

I'll volunteer for editing the string '.rc' files or whatever (localizeable strings DO exist outside the main source i hope?) seeing as I AM a native english speaker (well, i am norwegian, but my old man is american) and quite good at writing. I even get capitalization sometimes :P.

//martin

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:15 PM

-----bug list last updated 2006-09-04
serious bugs:
- winbuilder.exe locks up when launching processes through 'ShellExecute'.
- winbuilder's interface does not like a DPI setting of anything else than 96

051 beta releases will focus on these two issues for a start, other bugs should follow soon. The testing project is clearly a good way for debugging and correcting the winbuilder's behavior..

As for strings the main issue is that most dialogs are not available from the GUI or in .rc files. I'll likely add support for people editing the interface on their languages.

The only question remains on the log since it would have to output the messages in standard english. I guess a proper challenge/approach for this would be using a log wich could be converted into any user selectable language (as long as properly available)

Would this help? :P

#3 Draugen

Draugen

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:02 PM

You misunderstand. I wish to edit the strings INSIDE the program.

With .rc file, i mean the file which contains the string pre-compile. I want the bits of source code that contain strings which will be output to the user, and "fix" them so the messages make more sense. Adding support for external (post-compile) languages is just not a priority at this point.

If these are inline with the main source files, hello maintenance nightmare :P

Oh, and another bug/issue:

Error messages. A failed script is notoriously hard to debug if i throws up an error. The message now is not very helpful. It tells the user to go here and ask for help, but gets nothing to bring with him. A good error message needs to say what went wrong and where (i.e. There was an error in the script 'Create ISO' at line 45. The process will now terminate. Got to boot-land.net/forums for help.) to be even remotely useful. As it is now WinBuilder says 'an error happened'. And we can only say 'Damn, your'e perceptive sometimes, WinBuilder! you noticed an error the same time i did!"

Also, the HTML log output is buggy. A few linebreaks are missing, and, more annoyingly, the number in front of each line is completely irrelevant. I know you meant for them to represent the line in the script where something went wrong. The only problem is that it instead counts the number of lines in the log (before HTML was added).

//martin

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:19 PM

The "post this problem on bootland" error message was also removed on release 050, it wasn't anywhere usefull so it's removed until a good error handling is added.

I intend to make error handling much more focused on the specific error - but I'll first be focusing on the previous bugs mentioned.

Thanks for reporting all these good details on what needs to get fixed, I hope to fix them soon.. :P

btw: One thing that's still puzzling for me is the reason why winbuilder freezes when running from Vista environments - I'll likely have to get a Vista machine to make the application compatible with the new platform.

If you have some time would you please test winbuilder under reactOS?

Thanks! :P

#5 smiley

smiley

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 905 posts
  •  
    Greece

Posted 06 September 2006 - 02:59 PM

One thing that's still puzzling for me is the reason why winbuilder freezes when running from Vista environments - I'll likely have to get a Vista machine to make the application compatible with the new platform.

I have done some testing and i have some good results
In the first tset i tryed to run WinBuilder in Vista but Winbuilder crashed as paraglider posted.
Then i copied in a new folder the files Winbuilder.exe and WinBuilder.ini. Then Winbuilder opened but still i was missing some icons:
1.jpg

#6 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 September 2006 - 03:08 PM

Those are good results to start with.. Thanks for testing further on Vista! :P

I guess that the part of code that is causing to freeze is the script search on startup.

Can you create a new project and see if it freezes?

If it doesn't then can you add a script file on the project and refresh it?

Thanks!! :P

#7 smiley

smiley

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 905 posts
  •  
    Greece

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:03 PM

Those are good results to start with.. Thanks for testing further on Vista! :P

I guess that the part of code that is causing to freeze is the script search on startup.

Can you create a new project and see if it freezes?

If it doesn't then can you add a script file on the project and refresh it?

Thanks!! :P

I have 2 SUPER news!!!
1st)When tryed to test agin in Vista full Winbuilder it run ok!!!!!(Still some icons were missing but the final iso lead to adesktop) :P
:P I don't understand why in the begining it didn't run

2nd)Tried to run under Win 2000! Winbuilder run ok. At the first build i got an error saing that reg.exe wasn't found. Then i remember that someone had suggedted using regedit.exe /s ... and replaced in the hives.script the line :
ShellExecute,"hide","reg.exe","import #$q#4\#1#$q"
with the line :
ShellExecute,"hide","regedit.exe","/s #$q#4\#1#$q"
Winbuilder build an iso image that booted to Desktop!!!!! :P

Both Iso images were tested with real hardware ,QEmu and MS Virtual PC :P

My next test will be win win98 :P

#8 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:09 PM

Awesome news!! :ok: :P

#9 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:38 PM

2nd)Tried to run under Win 2000! Winbuilder run ok. At the first build i got an error saing that reg.exe wasn't found. Then i remember that someone had suggedted using regedit.exe /s ... and replaced in the hives.script the line :

ShellExecute,"hide","reg.exe","import #$q#4\#1#$q"
with the line :
ShellExecute,"hide","regedit.exe","/s #$q#4\#1#$q"

The someone was me.
It is already in my new EmptyHive.Script in the upload area :P

Peter

#10 smiley

smiley

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 905 posts
  •