12 replies to this topic

#1 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:35 PM

Have a question:
I'd like to have a separate image file, say Appz.img, with some programs that need read/write access to disk during their operations. The image will be with compressed NTFS partition. If this image is mounted from CD/DVD will it have this ability? Which format on image file suits this purpose the best?

#2 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:29 AM

Thats a good question.
I know you wont be able to write to the CD/DVD even if its an writable img I think.

#3 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:51 AM

I read somewhere that wdmk images can be used from read-only medea?

#4 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:05 AM

You must mean "vmdk" image. It would be nice if it did.

#5 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1448 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:09 PM

Have a question:
I'd like to have a separate image file, say Appz.img, with some programs that need read/write access to disk during their operations. The image will be with compressed NTFS partition. If this image is mounted from CD/DVD will it have this ability?

Only if it is created as a Virtual Memory type disk (that is a kind of RAM-disk). In that case you can specify the image file as filename and ImDisk will create a RAM-disk and load your image file to the new disk. With this method the driver is working with a memory copy of the image and therefore it is writable.

#6 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:36 PM

TheHive
Sorry, my fault :thumbup:

Olof Lagerkvist
Yes, I can uderstand that. But if I use Boot in RAM method I'd like not to load another image in memory as I already have one there :1st: The computer memory could be just not enough for both images. In this case mounting an image with read/write access from any media (USB, HDD, CD/DVD) could help. And as I understand mounting it from CD/DVD may have problems with read/write access for some (or maybe all) formats?

#7 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1448 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:54 PM

Olof Lagerkvist
Yes, I can uderstand that. But if I use Boot in RAM method I'd like not to load another image in memory as I already have one there :1st: The computer memory could be just not enough for both images. In this case mounting an image with read/write access from any media (USB, HDD, CD/DVD) could help. And as I understand mounting it from CD/DVD may have problems with read/write access for some (or maybe all) formats?

Okay I see. Yes any kind of image will have problems on read-only media, the virtual disk will be read-only because it cannot modify the image file.

#8 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:28 PM

But you can use VDK to mount a VMDK image with UNDO/REDO, search for posts by sanbarrow on the 911CD board, and/or check his forum:
http://sanbarrow.com/phpBB2/
he is the expert on this.

jaclaz

#9 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:41 PM

jaclaz
Unfortunately I can't search on the 911CD board - I registered but my account is not working and one can't use search there without login in :thumbup:

But it it is possible with VDK maybe it is possible with ImDisk? :1st:

#10 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1448 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:45 PM

But it it is possible with VDK maybe it is possible with ImDisk? :1st:

Sorry, not without copying the entire image to memory. There is no redo/undo delta-storage system of that kind in ImDisk. But maybe sometime in the future as usual :thumbup:

#11 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:00 PM

Well, looking for the future then :1st: It could be a usefull feature for using from CD/DVD.

Anyway, good work thanx! :thumbup:

#12 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:34 PM

@Oleg_II

You do not appear in the list of members. (at least not as Oleg_II)

Maybe your account got lost in the "GREAT EMAIL PURGE" of the board.

You can re-submit your account, or PM me your handle there (and the e-mail you were using, and the one you are using now) and I will forward the info to Ed_P, so that the account (if possible) will be re-activated.

jaclaz

#13 Oleg_II

Oleg_II

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:05 PM

@jaclaz
Thanx :1st:

I've just re-registered again and was said to wait for an e-mail. Waiting :thumbup:

PS I registered for the first time maybe last year and was able to search once. Then it was stopped: I couldn't log in with my account and password. I gave up... (by that time I'd already found what I wanted :thumbup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users