Photo
- - - - -

nativeEx Build and Boot Difficulties . . .

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Squid

Squid

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:00 PM

Hello folks!

This thread is a continuation of a previous post:

http://www.boot-land...eEX--t2496.html

which was moving way off topic; and needed to be retargeted.

So, here we are :thumbup:

The issue at hand deals with the nativeEx project which was current as of around June 29, 2007 (sorry, don't have a release number for the project).

In this instance, the project has been built on a reasonably new (and THOROUGHLY clean and maintained) Dell Dimension B110; using the following copies of Windows XP SP2 as source data for the build:
  • The bare reinstallation CD which came with the compute; and
  • a 9x Upgrade Edition 2002.
At first, the Upgrade disk was used; as it has served well through numerous Bart and LiveXP builds on this and another machine. However, apparently this is where the build problems for nativeEx started (see errors listed below).

Next, the Dell reinstallation CD was tried; yielding similar results (errors) in the final build.

Lastly, an ISO file was built from the reinstallation CD, and was subsequently expanded into a new folder located on the %basedir% for the WinBuilder project. The final build from this copy produced results similar to the previous two examples (above).

In sum, here are the problems encountered with this build:
  • HoJoPE was found to be taking enormous amounts of RAM during its operations. By switching from the Upgrade disk to the reinstallation disk for the build, this problem largely abated.
  • In all instances, HoJoPE could not execute without commiting illegal operations along the way. Please see the attached logfile (and the log from the previous post) for more details. This current logfile was created from a build using the expanded (local) XP archive.
  • Every attempt to boot a CD created from the resulting ISO (burnatonce was used burn the ISO image onto the CD -- always worked extremely well for Bart) resulted in the following error message shortly after the initial splashscreen:

File \i386\system32\ntoskrnl.exe could not be loaded.

The error code is 14

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

Any ideas?

:1st:

Thanks!

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.7z   80.71KB   377 downloads

#2 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:32 AM

At first, the Upgrade disk was used; as it has served well through numerous Bart and LiveXP builds on this and another machine. However, apparently this is where the build problems for nativeEx started (see errors listed below).

In sum, here are the problems encountered with this build:

• HoJoPE was found to be taking enormous amounts of RAM during its operations. By switching from the Upgrade disk to the reinstallation disk for the build, this problem largely abated.
  • In all instances, HoJoPE could not execute without commiting illegal operations along the way. Please see the attached logfile (and the log from the previous post) for more details. This current logfile was created from a build using the expanded (local) XP archive.
  • Every attempt to boot a CD created from the resulting ISO (burnatonce was used burn the ISO image onto the CD -- always worked extremely well for Bart) resulted in the following error message shortly after the initial splashscreen:

File \i386\system32\ntoskrnl.exe could not be loaded.

Your source CD is different from that ones I use.
Sample: My slipstreamed XP SP2 CD's in 8 different languages (including English) all contain NTOSKRNL.EX_,
This file could not be copied from your CD. I assume that on your CD there is NTOSKRNL.EXE :1st:

But that is not the main reason for the troubles and can be fixed just by changing a 'FileCopy' to 'CopyOrExpand'.
In my opinion the main reason is that also the input files to HoJoPe are different.

To check this and to change HoJoPe to accept your files, I need:
  • Hivecls.inf
  • Hivedef.inf
  • Hivesft.inf
  • Hivesys.inf
  • txtsetup.sif
  • shell32.dl_
from your source CD.

Peter

#3 Squid

Squid

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:40 AM

@psc:

Really long day --

Maybe tomorrow for those files . . .

Thx

#4 Squid

Squid

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:42 AM

@psc:

Here they are, Peter . . .

#5 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:14 AM

@psc:

Here they are, Peter . . .

Maybe I'm again fighting against voodoo:
I do not have any problem running HoJoPE with the files you posted.
Are they a copy from your "C:\Documents and Settings\Squid\Desktop\New WinBuilder\WinXP" directory?

Peter

#6 Squid

Squid

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:37 PM

@psc:

Thanks again, Peter. Got your PM this morning, after I had signed off :thumbup:

Are they a copy from your "C:\Documents and Settings\Squid\Desktop\New WinBuilder\WinXP" directory?

No, since I had essentially the same problem with all versions of XP, those files were taken directly from the Upgrade disk (it was easier for me to do it this way; as I posted the files using another computer).

Maybe I'm again fighting against voodoo:
I do not have any problem running HoJoPE with the files you posted.

Sorry this was not helpful for you. Would you like me to post anything else to help with this problem???

#7 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:12 PM

@psc:

Thanks again, Peter. Got your PM this morning, after I had signed off :thumbup:
No, since I had essentially the same problem with all versions of XP, those files were taken directly from the Upgrade disk (it was easier for me to do it this way; as I posted the files using another computer).
Sorry this was not helpful for you. Would you like me to post anything else to help with this problem???

You can do some checks:

Copy the files you sent me into your "C:\Documents and Settings\Squid\Desktop\New WinBuilder\WinXP" directory.
Maybe one of the current used files is corrupted.
(When did you perform last check of the C: disk?)

Try WinBuilder on a different HDD or PC

Peter

#8 Squid

Squid

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:03 AM

@psc:

Hello again, Peter.

I tried the bootdisk which I built on the Dell on another system (not a Dell) to see if the "Error code 14" problem would happen there, too.

It did . . .

Try WinBuilder on a different HDD or PC

My other system is a simple, ABit-equipped scratchbuilt dual-booter with a 2.4 gHz P4 & 512mB of RAM (no pagefile :1st: ).

nativeEx works perfectly on this system when built from the Upgrade disk. No problems at all. :thumbup:

See the attached logfile for details.

Now, when the sucessfully built disk is used over on the Dell B110, it boots OK; but the mouse and keyboard are never found (possibly not a crash -- the trayclock continues to keep good time), and the whole system needs a hardware reset to reboot. AND, to get WAAAAAY back to the original reason for trying nativeEx on the Dell, the Intel video problem is still there with the driver configuration which is included in the nativeEx build.

When did you perform last check of the C: disk?

FREQUENTLY. It is my test system; and is kept absolutely immaculate.

So, I guess it's fair enough to ask the question: "Is nativeEx incompatible with some (or many) types of Dell desktops?" From what I understand, they don't use an "authentic" or "complete" version of XP; but Thuun's LiveXP builds on my B110 and runs perfectly (aside from the Intel video) anyway.

So, why does LiveXP seem to build and run OK on the Dell B110 (and everywhere else), while nativeEx will not?

:thumbup:

Have a great day!

Attached Files

• Attached File  log1.zip   104.53KB   333 downloads

#9 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:59 AM

I think the reason that nativeEx might not work properly in your testing with dell machines is because with the other projects. Drivers Scripts are included to recognize more things. NativeEx and its core are really meant to be a building block or foundation to fuller projects based on a users needs.

#10 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:39 AM

Now, when the sucessfully built disk is used over on the Dell B110, it boots OK; but the mouse and keyboard are never found (possibly not a crash -- the trayclock continues to keep good time), and the whole system needs a hardware reset to reboot.

If you have USB mouse and keyboard: They are not supplied by nativeEx_barebone.
(LiveXP includes the support)
You can try to copy the script from LiveXP into nativeEx_barebone.
If you have standard: No idea.

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users