9 replies to this topic

#1 Gwydion5

Gwydion5
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:58 PM

Forgive me if this isn't the right the forum to post this question as this is my first post here.

I'm currently having a problem PXE Booting with IBM Intellistation E Pro machines with the Gigabit Broadcom Adapter. Once the DHCP Server assigns an IP and all that stuff it instructs you to press F-12, But when I choose this option it tells me that the TFTP Download Failed and to press any key to restart.

Here is my setup:

Old Ris Server: Windows 2000 Server Box, PXE Boot works great from this server.

WDS/BDD Windows 2003 Server: PXE Boot works great except for our older IBM Workstations / Client PC's. This results in the TFTP Download Failed message. I am using the standard Windows TFTP Service on both servers.

I have updated the BIOS and firmware on the IBM Workstations hoping that might address the TFTP Error with no luck. I have been administering our RIS Environment for the last 3 years on the old 2000 box and am trying to move to the new WDS/BDD system on a new Box. I also have been looking in to this issue off and on for the past month and haven't found anything that really applies to the issue.

Any ideas on what it might be or where I should start looking to get a better understanding of why this might be happening and things I can try?

Thanks!

#2 Gwydion5

Gwydion5
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:26 PM

Bump, because I have no idea where this went with the forum re-organization. :1st:

#3 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10545 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:06 PM

It's been a while since you've asked - good idea to bump and bring it back up.. :1st:

Never experienced any such issue and you seem to have done the right steps to try to get it working - but I'd personally recommend you to drop the use of RIS and start using tftpd32 instead so that you can at least have a wider range of OS where it can run from either now or in the future.

Or at least use it to ensure that you have an alternative method for PXE booting on these older machines.

Have you also tried replacing your broadcom adapter with any other models just for testing? :thumbup:

:thumbup:

#4 Gwydion5

Gwydion5
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:41 PM

It's been a while since you've asked - good idea to bump and bring it back up.. :1st:

Never experienced any such issue and you seem to have done the right steps to try to get it working - but I'd personally recommend you to drop the use of RIS and start using tftpd32 instead so that you can at least have a wider range of OS where it can run from either now or in the future.

Or at least use it to ensure that you have an alternative method for PXE booting on these older machines.

Have you also tried replacing your broadcom adapter with any other models just for testing? :thumbup:
:thumbup:

I tried 30 day trial of third party TFTP service (tftpd32?)for windows during our preliminary setup of WDS/BDD because of this issue and I believe the results were mixed (if I was a good Network Admin I would take notes). As for the IBM IntelliStation's, the network card is integrated to the motherboard. The only thing not integrated is the video card.

I'll look in to TFTPD32 and see if that was the program I was using before and try it again. The ability to log the TFTP protocal is very useful and not sure if you can do it in windows so that would be a plus.

Thanks for the response. :thumbup:

#5 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10545 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:50 PM

You can even do it from Windows 98 if you wish - the best part is that TFTPd32 is completely freeware - no trials whatsoever.

The homepage is here: http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

On the winner project homepage you find a good tutorial to see how to use tftp32 replacing your RIS server along with nice screenshots and tips.

Read the second part of this page where tftp32 approach is explained: http://www.windowsdr...er/doc/pxe.html

Hope this helps get back to PXE booting! :1st:

#6 Gwydion5

Gwydion5
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:54 PM

Well different TFTP service didn't seem to matter, it seems that the issue is with the pxeboot.com file that WDS uses that prevents the older Intellistation machines not to function properly. Now I have to call either IBM or Microsoft and see which one will take responsibility for the issue.

Thanks for the help.

#7 sfinktah

sfinktah

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:/(C(++|#)|P(HP|XE)|(OS|Linu)X|8051)/
  •  
    Australia

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:51 PM

I think you will find that the error message in question is generated by Windows, and is not actually due to any files not being found.

I'm assuming what you are seeing is a clear screen, with the following in the top left corner, and the cursor at the very top left (instead of at the text)...

TFTP download failed

Press any key to reboot.

That code is actually contained within preboot.n12 (the Windows PXE loader), and it displays it after it loads:

02:46:28.601515 IP win-iscsi.lan.1028 > nas.tftp:  46 RRQ "Bootpxeboot.n12" octet blksize 1432 tsize 0

0x0000:  4500 004a 0028 0000 4011 f6d5 c0a8 014d  E..J.(..@......M

0x0010:  c0a8 0108 0404 0045 0036 c20d 0001 426f  .......E.6....Bo

0x0020:  6f74 5c70 7865 626f 6f74 2e6e 3132 006f  otpxeboot.n12.o

0x0030:  6374 6574 0062 6c6b 7369 7a65 0031 3433  ctet.blksize.143

0x0040:  3200 7473 697a 6500 3000				 2.tsize.0.

(That's it loading, then the error appears).

Sorry, I don't know the solution :) But you can stop checking your tftpd.

#8 NetFanTom

NetFanTom

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 117 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:07 PM

Hmmmm ...

seems to me very well known. :suda:

Maybe bring a comparison of the boot order of the files a bit.

Without PXE:
\bootmgr
\boot\BCD -> Menu
\sources\ boot.wim ...

via PXE
pxeboot.n12 from the path that is defined in the tftp server as a boot file.
\ is the Basedir that is defined in the TFTP Server.
\Bootmgr.exe
\boot\BCD -> Menu
\sources\boot.wim ...

Is the file Bootmgr.exe in the TFTP Server Basedir? :)

(Bootmgr.exe you get from the place where is located the pxeboot.n12 source.)

#9 sfinktah

sfinktah

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:/(C(++|#)|P(HP|XE)|(OS|Linu)X|8051)/
  •  
    Australia

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

All he has to do, is sniff the tftp traffic. He'll see quite quickly that one of the files is being requested from the wrong path, or is missing. I think he lost interest though.

#10 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14829 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 November 2011 - 03:57 PM

I think he lost interest though.

Strangely enough I agree with you. :w00t: :ph34r:

Since I am an optimist :), I think however that in the 4 YEARS + elapsed since the OP took part to this thread before you revived it, OP has found a solution to his/her problem. :whistling:

:cheers:
Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users