9 replies to this topic

#1 Sherpya

Sherpya

• Developer
  • 51 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:39 PM

- Semi rewrite, removed the workaround I made in 1.9 to make it works on w2k3/vista

- fixed parsing problem in filecase.ini

- -p option to specify directly the path to infs

- round timestamp of inf files to avoid fat/iso timestamps problems, you may still need to disable daylight saving

as always on my site:
http://oss.netfarm.it/winpe/

please wait if your favorite mirror is not up-to-date

#2 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4159 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:53 AM

Can you give a small description for those that dont know what this is. I know its very usefull from my readings at 911 forum, but I still dont have a good grasp of what it does.

Thanks for updating it for future use.

#3 Sherpya

Sherpya

• Developer
  • 51 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:01 PM

Infcache build is a tool used to generate INFCACHE.1 cache file from a list of *.inf files, this speeds up the pnp detection in PE based environments.
I made this for bartpe but it can be used for any kind of live cd
it also fixes *.inf, removing CopyFile Rename and Del operations, this is needed to avoid that pnp system files installation (not possible on readonly media)

if filecase.ini is found in the same dir it also renames listed files to uppercase

#4 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10543 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:36 PM

Thanks for explaining - I admit that never used it myself inside scripts mostly because I didn't understood how it could be used in the first place.

We're still using mkisofs with force-uppercase option and no PnP support (yet).

HighwayStar has already introduced PnP support based on your work with XPE back on wb version 052 (?), but we just spend more time worried with other matters that took our time in the meanwhile.

You can find this older 052 package here for checking his port if you wish: http://www.boot-land...w...view&iden=2

Would be great to have audio support again.. :yahoo:

Will likely add a script so that we can move away from the uppercase conversion done by mkisofs - it's getting really annoying to browse all files in uppercase.. :)

#5 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

Will likely add a script so that we can move away from the uppercase conversion done by mkisofs - it's getting really annoying to browse all files in uppercase.. :yahoo:

Sorry but you wont. Tryed this already a few months ago as part of my PeIt experiments.
The problem is, that a good portion of the files that are loaded during boot up are named in setupldr.bin.
And the way those files are referenced, makes them case sensitive.
So there are only two solutions:
- patch setupldr to lower case names
- have all the files referenced by setupldr.bin in upper case and only the rest in lower case

Besides that, there is no reason for mkisofs -uppercase

:)

#6 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10543 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:48 PM

if filecase.ini is found in the same dir it also renames listed files to uppercase

Won't this mean that we can keep the windows (I386) and respective subfolders uppercased while the programs and remaining folders on the root of the image are kept intact with their original cases? :)

We can also a smallish console app for this task if necessary (or even a script command?), just an idea..

:yahoo:

#7 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:14 PM

Won't this mean that we can keep the windows (I386) and respective subfolders uppercased while the programs and remaining folders on the root of the image are kept intact with their original cases? :)

Everything not needed for booting up, can definitly be named any way one wants, without problems!

:yahoo:

#8 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:05 PM

Won't this mean that we can keep the windows (I386) and respective subfolders uppercased while the programs and remaining folders on the root of the image are kept intact with their original cases? :huh:

Hi Nuno,

This is from the "filecase.ini" in Sherpya's "BuildScripts-20050322".
i386

bootfont.bin

bootfix.bin

i386\system32

i386\system32\drivers

i386\setupldr.bin

i386\ntdetect.com

i386\txtsetup.sif

i386\spcmdcon.sys

i386\system32\biosinfo.inf

i386\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

i386\system32\ntkrnlmp.exe

i386\system32\kdcom.dll

i386\system32\bootvid.dll

i386\system32\setupreg.hiv

i386\system32\*.fon

i386\system32\*.nls

i386\system32\hal*.dll

i386\system32\drivers\*.sys

From Sherpya's Readme.txt in Build Scripts:

_runinfcache if yes the script will call InfCacheBuild, it will remove CopyFiles, RenFiles and DelFiles sections from inf files,
then it will build INFCACHE.1 to speedup pnp detection, also if filecase.ini is included it uppercases files from
this file and it will add -U option to mkisofs so you will not get all files on Image in uppercase but only needed.

(I think the "-U" allows mixed case.)

I have tried Infcachebuild in VistaPE without "filecase.ini". I am not sure if Uppercasing is necessary with Vista; or, if necessary, which files?

Infcache.1 seems to update by itself when VistaPE is booted into RAM. Nevertheless, I have Autorun (at boot) Infcachebuild with -f (force update) switch and the "Copy", "Delete" and "Rename" statements in the "inf" files are amended (crippled). I'm not sure if this is necessary either when VistaPE is re-writeable in RAM?

Nightman added an Autorun statement for paraglider's HWPNP without parameters in the "Drivers (Storage + LAN)" Script for VistaPE-BETA 009, but I can't see he uses Infcachebuild. I haven't tried that Script because my problem is with sound and my wireless-broadband USB modem. HWPNP doesn't help me even with Infcahebuild. :(

I was thinking of writing for VistaPE, a Script for Sherpa's BuildScripts, or even Cyrano's PostProcessing (includes InfCacheBuild plus lots of other stuff) - not for Autorun at boot, but for just before mkisofs, but I don't think it will help me with VistaPE.

@MedEvil,

Thanks for the explanation of why some files need uppercase. :thumbup:

#9 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10543 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:42 PM

Don't have the impression this applies to Windows PE 2.0 since the structure itself is very similar to an installed windows.

With our PE XP boot disks - the windows structure is still based on the installation files - reason why the setup files are used and the %systemroot%=I386 instead of "Windows" - under PE 2.0 shouldn't matter uppercasing.

But would be very good to see your work and results on this matter - good luck! :yahoo:

#10 Max_Real Qnx

Max_Real Qnx

Gold Member

• Patrician
  • 1382 posts
  • Interests:To be or not to be that is the question.
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:41 PM

Hi :yahoo:

FileCopy,"%InstallSRC%\Windows\System32\PnPutil.exe","%TargetDir%\Windows\System32"

pnputil.exe -i -a x:\windows\inf\*.inf

bye :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users