ImDisk startup problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12701 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:33 AM

I tried to use ImDisk inside the 'Minimum' PE configuration
(Explorer only, no Apps, no drivers ...)

In a 'standard ' configuration ImDisk appears and shows as first line something like:

Driver loaded into the kernel

After formatting the RAM disk, the command window disappears.

In the 'minimum' configuration ImDisk starts and remains with the empty command window for about 3 minutes.
Then it continues like in the 'standard' case.

Questions:

What is happening when loading the driver into the kernel?
Which conditions must be fullfilled?

Peter

#2 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1365 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:25 PM

In the 'minimum' configuration ImDisk starts and remains with the empty command window for about 3 minutes.
Then it continues like in the 'standard' case.

Questions:

What is happening when loading the driver into the kernel?

The driver ImDisk kernel level driver is started by the Service Control Manager, which means that the module imdisk.sys is loaded into the kernel. Just ordinary calls to OpenSCManager(), OpenService(), StartService() ...

Which conditions must be fullfilled?

Just that the driver is installed properly in the registry and that the caller has administrative privileges...

But anyway, you can try to change the ImDisk driver in the registry to auto-start instead of demand-start so that it is loaded automatically when Windows is starting up. Then the driver will already loaded and ready in the kernel when the imdisk.exe command starts to create the RAM-disk. The registry value Start under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ImDisk controls wether the driver is loaded automatically by Windows. Set the value to 2 instead of 3 to have the driver auto-started. This is also configurable from .inf files that installs drivers and services.

#3 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12701 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:20 PM

The driver ImDisk kernel level driver is started by the Service Control Manager, which means that the module imdisk.sys is loaded into the kernel. Just ordinary calls to OpenSCManager(), OpenService(), StartService() ...

Just that the driver is installed properly in the registry and that the caller has administrative privileges...

But anyway, you can try to change the ImDisk driver in the registry to auto-start instead of demand-start so that it is loaded automatically when Windows is starting up. Then the driver will already loaded and ready in the kernel when the imdisk.exe command starts to create the RAM-disk. The registry value Start under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ImDisk controls wether the driver is loaded automatically by Windows. Set the value to 2 instead of 3 to have the driver auto-started. This is also configurable from .inf files that installs drivers and services.

auto-start did not help.

But I found the reason: In the 'minimum' configuration some authentication stuff was missingt. I added that to the script

Peter

#4 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1365 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:45 PM

But I found the reason: In the 'minimum' configuration some authentication stuff was missingt. I added that to the script

Okay, good :1st:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users