#1 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:37 PM

Trying to figure out how to get LiteStep to use a different theme (not too crazy about the default theme. Found this site that has a bunch of LiteStep themes.

http://www.ls-themes.org/

#2 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:25 PM

1. install litestep to your computer
2. download and install theme
3. download modules (automaticly when litestep running)
4. configure theme
5. copy theme and modules to litestep folder in VistaPE
6. enjoy :confused1:

and finally post your work here, it's will be very interesting :confused1:

#3 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:29 PM

1. install litestep to your computer
2. download and install theme
3. download modules (automaticly when litestep running)
4. configure theme
5. copy theme and modules to litestep folder in VistaPE
6. enjoy :confused1:

and finally post your work here, it's will be very interesting :confused1:

This is what I did first:

Extracted the litestep files from the script
Downloaded a theme and set that as the default
Ran Litestep to download needed modules and configured theme
Used 7z to create an archive and added this archive to the script
Compiled ISO and on boot up I get module initialization errors

I'm going to try a different theme, one that doesn't require too much modules to see if this helps any.

#4 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:34 PM

yes, you all doing right, many themes not compatible with VistaPE, my theme is simple and it's working ... try more :confused1:

#5 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:11 PM

yes, you all doing right, many themes not compatible with VistaPE, my theme is simple and it's working ... try more :confused1:

Got one theme to work but text was way too small and the taskbar was not showing. Just the button for the menu.

So back using yours but want to make the taskbar a bit smaller (think its too fat). Tried tweaking the settings in system_tray.rc and taskbar.rc (used the same values in both). Taskbar looks a little smaller but the area where the quicklaunch is is now moved up actually. THink I need to tweak the quicklaunch settings now.

#6 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:26 PM

Got one theme to work but text was way too small and the taskbar was not showing. Just the button for the menu.

So back using yours but want to make the taskbar a bit smaller (think its too fat). Tried tweaking the settings in system_tray.rc and taskbar.rc (used the same values in both). Taskbar looks a little smaller but the area where the quicklaunch is is now moved up actually. THink I need to tweak the quicklaunch settings now.

Ok here is my attempt. Using EcyStep and modified it with some variables and settings from Austerity theme. Not sure if this is EcyStep issue but submenus do not auto view, you have to click on them to see whats in the submenu. Some might like it that way.

Also any way to configure the File Manager shortcut right on the main Start menu?

Edit: Pointed the File Manager to A23 since thats what I used. I also think the script I uploaded was the wrong one (or corrupt) here is the right one. Sorry about that.

#7 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:59 AM

powaking
Looking good, test new version, now 2 themes included :confused1:

Attached File  LiteStep.script   1.91MB   641 downloads

:confused1:

#8 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:58 AM

powaking
Looking good, test new version, now 2 themes included :confused1:

Attached File  LiteStep.script   1.91MB   641 downloads

Haha, was just thinking about combining the 2 themes. You beat me to it. I'll check it out and report back.

#9 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:14 PM

may be you can add more themes? :confused1:

#10 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:22 PM

may be you can add more themes? :confused1:

Sure, now that I see how you make the theme selection it shouldn't be too much of a problem, just a lot of trial and error.

Here are some other scripts I've created (I know you added a couple of them to the latest beta update).

Edit:
You know, you could just add another entry to the Shell switcher so that it will list the LiteStep - theme Then just have a script that will make the change in the .rc file to set the default theme. That way you can switch between themes and not have to rebuild.

#11 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:47 PM

Here are some other scripts I've created (I know you added a couple of them to the latest beta update).

ok, i add all after testing, in 1 or 2 days :confused1:

You know, you could just add another entry to the Shell switcher so that it will list the LiteStep - theme Then just have a script that will make the change in the .rc file to set the default theme. That way you can switch between themes and not have to rebuild.

interesing, can you post theme and modules here? :confused1:

#12 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:49 PM

ok, i add all after testing, in 1 or 2 days :confused1:
interesing, can you post theme and modules here? :confused1:

I can get you the list of modules the one I made needs. If you look in the theme.rc file for each theme it will list the modules that theme needs. I know when I was making the theme I did all my modifying within VistaPE since the X drive is writable. That was the best way to tweak it.

I just tried the latest update you released and Grub is not working for me. It just dumps me to the command prompt and it can't find any files if I try to do a find. Edit: Just saw the update didn't download the latest grub so downloading it now and will retest.

#13 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:01 PM

If you look in the theme.rc file

i know about it and remove many modules from your script :confused1: but i not have time for downloading and testing all themes :confused1:

Just saw the update didn't download the latest grub so downloading it now and will retest.

ok :confused1:

#14 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:02 PM

i know about it and remove many modules from your script :confused1: but i not have time for downloading and testing all themes :confused1:

No problem. I'll play around and see what other theme I can get working and report back. Great work!!!!

#15 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:17 PM

No problem. I'll play around and see what other theme I can get working and report back. Great work!!!!

#16 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:02 AM

Can you see if you can find XP type or vista type theme. I have to agree with the bad look of the theme used now. It looks old. But I do get that is functional.

#17 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:52 AM

Can you see if you can find XP type or vista type theme. I have to agree with the bad look of the theme used now. It looks old. But I do get that is functional.

Sure I'll see if I can find a theme like that. In the mean time check out the theme that was just posted.

#18 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:09 PM

Downloaded the script. There is no preview of how its going to look.

#19 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:16 PM

Downloaded the script. There is no preview of how its going to look.

More or less it will look like this. Wallpaper doesn't change.

Posted Image

#20 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:10 PM

Tried the new LiteStep.script but It wont work when I use it.
1.jpg

Log mentions something about litestep.
Attached File  log.zip   56.05KB   267 downloads

RegRead - Failed to read specified key from: [HKLM]  Section: [SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WimFltr]  Key: [DisplayName] to variable: [%RegName%]

TxtAddLine - Failed to add line to file: [L:\OPEN_BUILDER\WinBuilder071_Beta2\Target\VistaPE\Program Files\LiteStep\themes\themeselect.rc] line: [ThemeDir "$ThemesDir$EcyStep\"]

Im thinking the original theme is the one that is making dislike lite step. The picture you posted with the new theme looks more updated gui wise.

#21 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:22 PM

Tried the new LiteStep.script but It wont work when I use it.
1.jpg

Log mentions something about litestep.
Attached File  log.zip   56.05KB   267 downloads

RegRead - Failed to read specified key from: [HKLM]  Section: [SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WimFltr]  Key: [DisplayName] to variable: [%RegName%]

TxtAddLine - Failed to add line to file: [L:\OPEN_BUILDER\WinBuilder071_Beta2\Target\VistaPE\Program Files\LiteStep\themes\themeselect.rc] line: [ThemeDir "$ThemesDir$EcyStep\"]

Im thinking the original theme is the one that is making dislike lite step. The picture you posted with the new theme looks more updated gui wise.

Try using this with VistaPE-Beta scripts. Thats what I use now and what I tested this with. Should have mentioned that previously, sorry.

#22 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:36 AM

Ok here is my attempt. Using EcyStep and modified it with some variables and settings from Austerity theme. Not sure if this is EcyStep issue but submenus do not auto view, you have to click on them to see whats in the submenu. Some might like it that way.

Also any way to configure the File Manager shortcut right on the main Start menu?

Edit: Pointed the File Manager to A23 since thats what I used. I also think the script I uploaded was the wrong one (or corrupt) here is the right one. Sorry about that.

Tested this one with new beta Vista.
I like the way it looks but some thing is wrong with icon displayed on Desktop.
1.jpg
EDit never mind. I was testing with only 256MB. Uped it to 512 and the icons show up.

Not sure if this is EcyStep issue but submenus do not auto view,

This part I do not like how it works.

Edit: Pointed the File Manager to A23 since thats what I used.

I dont think you use that manager. I think you mean A43.

If you look at the screenshots at
http://www.ls-themes...cat=screenshots

I really like the 12th Litestep theme. The gui looks like XP a bit. Im not sure if its out.
http://www.ls-themes...e...shot&id=117

#23 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:26 PM

EDit never mind. I was testing with only 256MB. Uped it to 512 and the icons show up.

Interesting, nice to know. I've only tested with machines that have 512megs of ram so this is good information.

This part I do not like how it works.
I dont think you use that manager. I think you mean A43.

Yah I don't like it either but I'll see if I can figure out why. And yes the A43 is what I meant :confused1:

If you look at the screenshots at
http://www.ls-themes...cat=screenshots

I really like the 12th Litestep theme. The gui looks like XP a bit. Im not sure if its out.
http://www.ls-themes...e...shot&id=117

Yah saw it and like it as well but doesn't look like its released. The author does have a website with other themes he has made available. Might want to take a look at those and see if any catches your eye.

#24 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:50 PM

I wen to the site and looked thru the others but none of them caught my eye.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users